Dan Marino lists top QBs of all time; Kelly makes list

Nephilim17

9 minutes ago, Billl said:

Fun fact:  Jim Kelly was more than a year older than Josh is today when he played in his first postseason game.

Unless he played a playoff game when he was with the Houston Gamblers. I would have to look it up as I can't recall if he did or not.

Kelly isn't even in the top 20 of NFL QBs 

For his era he was outside of the top 5, behind Montana, Elway, Aikman, Young, and Marino. 

Kelly was perfect for Buffalo and perfect for the Kgun. He was gutsy and could play in the cold playoff weather. 

Allen is better in every possible way. We are lucky to have two HOF QBs and Kemp was great for the city of Buffalo as well. 

• Disagree 1

Just now, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Kelly isn't even in the top 20 of NFL QBs 

For his era he was outside of the top 5, behind Montana, Elway, Aikman, Young, and Marino. 

Kelly was perfect for Buffalo and perfect for the Kgun. He was gutsy and could play in the cold playoff weather. 

Allen is better in every possible way. We are lucky to have two HOF QBs and Kemp was great for the city of Buffalo as well. 

When you look at the Bills history with QB's there are only 4 worth mentioning.

Kemp - from the 60's. Two AFL championships.

Ferguson - from the 70's into the 80's. He had a decent career with the Bills.

Kelly - from the 80's into the 90's. He got the entire region interested in the Bills again. I remember the "Kelly is God" sign at the 86-opener vs the Jets.

Allen - from 2018 to the present. Definitely the most talented and athletic QB the Bills have had. Hopefully he can bring a championship to WNY.

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

AND Josh is 20 years younger than Peyton Manning. Manning won his first SuperBowl in 2006-2007.

You see where I am going, do the math AND if we fail there, we got John Elway to compare Josh to. 😆 

So nine seasons with a coach (Reeves) who could not get it done, replaced by a coach (Shanahan) who gets it done in year 2?

2 hours ago, Punching Bag said:

Marino was a good THROWER but not s great QuarterBACK.  He was not even good at fakes and got his RBs demolished frequently.

Marino was one heck of a QB. Even though, back in the day, we all loathed him, Dan played at a high level for many many years. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Buddy Hix said:

Kelly makes the list because him and Dan are buddies, imo. Look at Kelly's playoff stats, they are atrocious. 

Ha! I’ve seen much worse, including from one current multiple MVP winner!! Jim won a lot of playoff games, but what skews the stats is when he lost, he lost spectacularly. 

2 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Not news we can use but nice and interesting to see. I don't hear Jim's name come up in this convo outside of some fans here.

"To me, [Joe] Montana and [John] Elway, Jim Kelly -- those guys, all those guys," Marino told Sports Illustrated before Super Bowl LVIII. "Patrick Mahomes, he's going to be considered one of the best ever, too. You got Tom Brady, you got a lot of guys. So, there's a lot to pick from there."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/dolphins-legend-dan-marino-lists-his-greatest-nfl-quarterbacks-of-all-time-one-surprising-name-makes-the-cut/#:~:text="To me%2C [Joe],of the best ever%2C too.

Same Era as Danny boy. And oh yeah, they're best friends 😉

2 hours ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

I like Marino more as time goes by.. strange. 

I used to hate the way that he would throw the ball away, rather than take a hit. It was not very common back then. Always called him a sissy.  Nowadays they just call that smart football, and commend the player for preserving his body.  But watching Marino do it back then, would always drive me crazy.  

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

Unless he played a playoff game when he was with the Houston Gamblers. I would have to look it up as I can't recall if he did or not.

He played in two playoff games and lost them both. They blew a 16-3 lead in 1984 and lost 17-16, and they lost 22-20 to Birmingham the next season. Joe Cribbs was the lead running back for Birmingham (16 carries for 70 yards). In fact, you can watch the whole game right here: 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

I still don't think people realize how amazing Marino putting up 5,084 yards and 48 passing TDs in the 1984 NFL was. Absolutely mind boggling stuff.

Anway...give Dan Marino the Marks brothers and a good o-line in the 2024 NFL and he's going for 6,000 yards and 65 TDs.

People always forget Marino was the only QB who was able to shred that 85 Bears Defense.  It's a shame Miami got upset against NE in the playoffs that year that would've been a much more entertaining Super Bowl

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Gregg said:

When you look at the Bills history with QB's there are only 4 worth mentioning.

Kemp - from the 60's. Two AFL championships.

Ferguson - from the 70's into the 80's. He had a decent career with the Bills.

Kelly - from the 80's into the 90's. He got the entire region interested in the Bills again. I remember the "Kelly is God" sign at the 86-opener vs the Jets.

Allen - from 2018 to the present. Definitely the most talented and athletic QB the Bills have had. Hopefully he can bring a championship to WNY.

Ferguson isn't worth mentioning with the exception of his ankle injury in 1980 playoffs. If he is healthy, that defense and Cribbs wins a SuperBowl over a weak Eagles team.

You get the sense that JA17 is going to be this generations Marino.

A special talent that will never win a championship, in this case not because of a dominant NFC conference/better team in his own division..... but because of the best player in NFL standing in his way.

But getting back to Marino, I think many fans take for granted just how great he was in an era that was not built around complex, high flying passes offense like we see in today's NFL.

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Ha! I’ve seen much worse, including from one current multiple MVP winner!! Jim won a lot of playoff games, but what skews the stats is when he lost, he lost spectacularly. 

Go look at his game logs from the postseason. Jim had four good games out of nineteen. Jim was tough, probably a great leader, but he wasn’t good when it mattered.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buddy Hix said:

Go look at his game logs from the postseason. Jim had four good games out of nineteen. Jim was tough, probably a great leader, but he wasn’t good when it mattered.

So that’s a line you could stick on every single QB who didn’t win the big one—at some point each year they would not have been good enough when it mattered, no? Jim did what he had to, plenty. “Probably” a good leader doesn’t get you into a gold jacket, imho. 

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, Buddy Hix said:

Kelly makes the list because him and Dan are buddies, imo. Look at Kelly's playoff stats, they are atrocious. 

Jim Kelly had a passer rating of 72.3 with 3,863 yards, 21 touchdowns and 28 interceptions in 17 games in the playoffs in his career.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.