Dan Marino lists top QBs of all time; Kelly makes list

Nephilim17

16 hours ago, Punching Bag said:

Marino was a good THROWER but not s great QuarterBACK.  He was not even good at fakes and got his RBs demolished frequently.

Agree … Spectacular ball, though.   Lots of yards.

16 hours ago, Buddy Hix said:

Kelly makes the list because him and Dan are buddies, imo. Look at Kelly's playoff stats, they are atrocious. 

Allen is quite the opposite, which is why I expect at least 1 SB victory with JA. Dude is too good in the playoffs to never get one. 

20 hours ago, Punching Bag said:

Marino was a good THROWER but not s great QuarterBACK.  He was not even good at fakes and got his RBs demolished frequently.

Sounds like they need to start drug testing before people can join the forum. Thanks for ruining it for everyone 

• Like (+1) 1

Back in the day of Kelly and Marino, each year they had The Battle of NFL Quarterbacks on TV.  The top QB's would try to hit various targets, both stationary and moving, at various distances.  I am not a Dolphin's fan, but I remember Marino blowing away all the other QB's by a lot.  No other QB was even close to his accuracy.  He was uncanny.

Kelly prevented Marino, Elway, Moon (or Montana!) from ever advancing in the playoffs when facing Buffalo. And don’t give me oh it’s because of all the other Bills. Because that’s a straw man argument you can make for every other good QB who plays with 10 others on O. (Conversely, had one of the other Bills made a 47 yd FG Kelly would also have a SB of course). It simply is what it is—Kelly led teams never let any of the aforementioned HOF QBs ever beat Buffalo in the playoffs. Look it up if you don’t believe me. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Also, running the no huddle and his own plays continually was a revolution in football, and was something you couldn’t even dream of most contemporary QB’s doing—Kelly was special in his role for that particular time, and if you say Josh has been let down by coaching or FO blunders in the playoffs (which I agree with fwiw) where is the same cover for Kelly? Marv was a great coach, but he was continually outclassed in the Super Bowl. 

Let’s not continually deconstruct our history with revisionism, particularly where the eras cannot be evenly matched. 

https://jimkelly.com/hall-of-fame

21 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Not news we can use but nice and interesting to see. I don't hear Jim's name come up in this convo outside of some fans here.

"To me, [Joe] Montana and [John] Elway, Jim Kelly -- those guys, all those guys," Marino told Sports Illustrated before Super Bowl LVIII. "Patrick Mahomes, he's going to be considered one of the best ever, too. You got Tom Brady, you got a lot of guys. So, there's a lot to pick from there."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/dolphins-legend-dan-marino-lists-his-greatest-nfl-quarterbacks-of-all-time-one-surprising-name-makes-the-cut/#:~:text="To me%2C [Joe],of the best ever%2C too.

Any list that doesn't have Allen on it is unpersuasive to me. 

FWIW, I think Marino would blow away Mahomes and anyone else in today's game. Not to be a homer, but the only possible exception is Allen, who can't match Marino's passing but is a superior runner. 

I love Jim Kelly - probably my favorite QB.  But even I can't put him ahead of Peyton Manning when it comes to ranking QBs - even when I factor in the eras they played in.

Edited by Murdox

22 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I mean, of course Dan's going to list the guys he played a lot against from his era. It's who he's most familiar with and good friends with to boot. 

Jimbo was definitely one of the best of his era. And that's probably the most accurate ways to rank QBs. By era and not all-time IMO. 

That was a particularly good era, though.

On 2/23/2024 at 3:00 PM, Logic said:

I still don't think people realize how amazing Marino putting up 5,084 yards and 48 passing TDs in the 1984 NFL was. Absolutely mind boggling stuff.

Anway...give Dan Marino the Marks brothers and a good o-line in the 2024 NFL and he's going for 6,000 yards and 65 TDs.

next closest guy had 28 tds that year  Nobody besides Lomax had over 4000 yards Totally dominant

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.