The UFL, and why I want it to work

I think every football fan would love it to work and be entertaining. I think the issue with it is that it's way too similar to the nfl. You can't expect these players and these leagues to live up to the nfl. If I was the ufl, I'd make it a 100% passing league. Absolutely no running the ball. I'd also eliminate punting completely. Teams get 4 downs to get a 1st down. Zero punting, zero hand offs 

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

3. QB play is essential. It's not a good game without great QB's. Pay big QB contracts to get guys if you need to. Maybe a practice squad NFL guy will want to play just to make some money.

That's basically all this league has going forward--PS level QBs. 

This was as of November in the NFL...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-week-11-practice-squad-power-rankings-calling-all-quarterbacks-several-young-options-for-teams-in-need/

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

That's basically all this league has going forward--PS level QBs. 

This was as of November in the NFL...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-week-11-practice-squad-power-rankings-calling-all-quarterbacks-several-young-options-for-teams-in-need/

And it's worse than that. The two best QBs in the XFL last season (AJ McCarron and Ben DiNucci) both got signed to NFL practice squads and are therefore not playing in the UFL this season. So, in a world with a dearth of QB talent, you have the 64 guys that are on NFL 53-man rosters along with the 32 guys on PS. The best QB in the UFL will be the 96th-best guy in the world. 

BTW, the San Antonio Brahmas have Joe Flacco's little brother as their QB.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

College kids should have the option to just play pro ball like young prospects of the other pro leagues do. It'd be cool if the UFL could be that option and eventually steal some top college talent.

with the NIL, college kids will make way more there than in the UFL.

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

The team names don't work for me. They make the league sound stupid. No one wants to watch the Albany Peanut Butter Cup Eaters play football

Is Albany Reeses Peanut Butter Cup Eaters better?  Sell the name to make money and be official snack of the team.

6 hours ago, Low Positive said:

And it's worse than that. The two best QBs in the XFL last season (AJ McCarron and Ben DiNucci) both got signed to NFL practice squads and are therefore not playing in the UFL this season. So, in a world with a dearth of QB talent, you have the 64 guys that are on NFL 53-man rosters along with the 32 guys on PS. The best QB in the UFL will be the 96th-best guy in the world. 

BTW, the San Antonio Brahmas have Joe Flacco's little brother as their QB.

AJ McCarron signed with the Battlehawks a couple of days ago.

It's something into am cheering for, and honeslty I'd even attend if the games were closer.  Something fun to do with the kids.  But that means it needs to be cheap, which means no revenue... How do you attract good players if you can't pay them? 

NCAA is the NFL farm system, has been for decades, and now, as was mentioned by ControllerofPlanetX, with NIL deals in place, most of these guys won't be incentivized to play in any league but the NFL.  Obviously unless there's no other choice.

As was mentioned, the only way for it to be viable is a true connection to the NFL either with allocation of players, or some revenue deal to bolster it's ability to draw in better players.

I mean if you really want to think about how inferior the QB play is, Nate Peterman is statistically one of the worst QBs in NFL history, and he's on a roster... The dudes in the XFL and USFL were considered downgrades to that lol.

I mean I want it to do well, hell I wish Buffalo still had an Arena team, that too would be fun and different, but I'm not sure how it's gonna happen.  And frankly I'm not invested enough to pay money for it via streaming or something so I don't see where their revenue is gonna come from.... But if the Bills allocated 10-15 dudes to play there I would absolutely watch, and probably pay a nominal fee. 

But at the end of the day where's the benefit to the NFL?  They can develop these guys at their own pace in their own training camps safely without worrying that they're going to get blown up in the off-season and that players done.  

It's a double edge sword... They're also are NFLPA concerns and salary cap discussions to be had with a partnership.

19 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

College kids should have the option to just play pro ball like young prospects of the other pro leagues do. It'd be cool if the UFL could be that option and eventually steal some top college talent.

you mean they should quit college and move to, say, Birmingham to play?

22 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

The NCAA is the NFL's equivalent to the minor leagues.

Becoming more so too with the expansion of the SEC & Big-10.  

Then with the paid players aspect of it also.  

As has been implied, any additional pro league would likely be like a giant practice squad seemingly.

• Agree 1

There are a number of XFL/USFL players that did make the NFL the last few years. PJ Walker, Donald Parham, Kavonte Turpin, Donald Whelan, Tyree Jackson and Brendan Aubrey to make a few. In 2023 alone 102 plays were signed to NFL camps.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

On 2/20/2024 at 9:34 AM, frostbitmic said:

The NCAA is the NFL's equivalent to the minor leagues.

I thought that the equivalent to the NCAA for other sports was the NCAA.

Are you unable to see a functional difference between college ball and minor leagues?

I hope it does well too, and it seems wild to me that spring football has always had such a tough time catching on. 

Given how popular the sport is, you'd think most other football fans would want to see it succeed as well. 

I wonder if the reason they fail is partially due to targeting large markets that have a million better things to do, when they might have more success by giving smaller markets without pro football their own team. 

I feel like these leagues struggle to establish any dedicated following, but placing teams in smaller, more loyal markets may help build a solid foundation. The XFL saw this with the St Loius Battlehawks, and that's what the Spring Leagues should look to replicate. 

On 2/20/2024 at 4:50 AM, SoonerBillsFan said:

I am with you, I hope it truly becomes a really good developmental league for the NFL.

the way it become a a great developmental league is by having complete seasons year after year. That likely only happens with TV ratings.

so we all can have an impact by tuning in, searching for scores online, watching official YouTube videos, etc.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

I hope it does well too, and it seems wild to me that spring football has always had such a tough time catching on. 

Given how popular the sport is, you'd think most other football fans would want to see it succeed as well. 

I wonder if the reason they fail is partially due to targeting large markets that have a million better things to do, when they might have more success by giving smaller markets without pro football their own team. 

I feel like these leagues struggle to establish any dedicated following, but placing teams in smaller, more loyal markets may help build a solid foundation. The XFL saw this with the St Loius Battlehawks, and that's what the Spring Leagues should look to replicate. 

For me part of it was that it was so dang hard to watch. Even when Philly had an arena football it was relegated to local broadcast.

One advantage this time around is that it's on major networks on national broadcast.

5 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Put them in cities abandoned by NFL - St Louis, San Diego, Oakland and Milwaukee then they could add cities which wanted teams but NFL choose other than them like San Antonio.

I went to see the CFL Baltimore Stallions once.

https://www.justsportsstats.com/cflinamerica/balt.php

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.