The UFL, and why I want it to work

5 hours ago, Fleezoid said:

At least now they're playing home games in the home team sites. Watching a game with 12 people in the stands was pretty pathetic. 

It had zero effect on me, surprisingly. They still played the football game.

10 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

you mean they should quit college and move to, say, Birmingham to play?

I know, the thought of simply playing pro ball full time is weird

4 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

It had zero effect on me, surprisingly. They still played the football game.

I know, the thought of simply playing pro ball full time is weird

Any college student who was 3 years post HS graduation was free to try out for the XFL...

On 2/20/2024 at 8:34 AM, frostbitmic said:

The NCAA is the NFL's equivalent to the minor leagues.

In some respects maybe but there aren't as many NFL concepts or coaching in the college game . I think this league can & will continue to coach up players that have really good potential to be good NFL players .

There are always guys like Diggs, Nakua, & others that show up in the NFL i often wonder how many of those guys after not being picked up by the NFL go back to a oil rigs or a truck driver & never get a second look or chance to be better & i think this could give them that chance . 

Edited by T master
  • Like (+1) 2

People forget that the original USFL had real football players who were stars:

Jim Kelly

Steve Young

Sam Mills

Reggie White

Herschel Walker

Gary Zimmerman

Kent Hull

Doug Flutie

and many more... I just picked a handful that stood out to me

Levy and Polian worked as coach/executive 

There were real star players and executives involved. It wasn't guys who can't even make an NFL practice squad. 

That's the real issue facing spring football, IMO. 

It's hard to imagine an equivalent today, with a bunch of really solid, well-known players with a few huge names and older coaches added in to sell tickets. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

Does anyone know if the UFL will adopt the same draft eligibility rule that the NFL has? 

- "To be eligible for the draft, players must have been out of high school for at least three years and must have used up their college eligibility before the start of the next college football season."

If they could poach top prospects out of high school I think the league would be interesting. 

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 2/22/2024 at 10:15 AM, T master said:

In some respects maybe but there aren't as many NFL concepts or coaching in the college game . I think this league can & will continue to coach up players that have really good potential to be good NFL players .

There are always guys like Diggs, Nakua, & others that show up in the NFL i often wonder how many of those guys after not being picked up by the NFL go back to a oil rigs or a truck driver & never get a second look or chance to be better & i think this could give them that chance . 

When did they start that?

On 2/22/2024 at 10:58 AM, TheFunPolice said:

People forget that the original USFL had real football players who were stars:

Jim Kelly

Steve Young

Sam Mills

Reggie White

Herschel Walker

Gary Zimmerman

Kent Hull

Doug Flutie

There were real star players and executives involved. It wasn't guys who can't even make an NFL practice squad. 

Kelly, Young and Walker went there, not because then NFKL didn't want them, but for better pay.

Since then, all of these come and go incarnations of USFL/XFL/whatever almost exclusively have filled their rosters with guy s who couldn't get drafted or stay on a roster.  Why do people endlessly claim that each new iteration will be a great developmental league for the NFL?  It's not based in any reality---over decades.  This has never been true.  It's just mediocre to bad football that dies of fan disinterest.  The new UFL is absolute proof of this failed concept.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.