Gabe Davis: Puts out an Instagram Video…good watch and could be sign he’s leaving

Alphadawg7

3 minutes ago, KingBoots8 said:

Good dude who did come up big when we needed him. Those first 2 years were pretty special especially in the playoffs. Nagging injuries and drops have been problems the last 2 years, but that being said he was likable and I will miss him on gameday. I hope wherever he goes he finds success, so long as it isn’t in the AFC ;)

Given how we severely lack guys who step up in the big postseason moments, this is a way bigger point than just to be said in passing.. so thank you for bringing this up.

Even with the awful defensive performance, one can only wonder how that KC game plays out if Gabe Davis never got hurt and we had "Big Game Gabe" down the field instead of Trent Sherfield....

The weirdest thing to me is seeing, on the one hand, almost unanimous agreement among Bills fans that they want to upgrade from Gabe Davis, and on the other hand, a bunch of "just don't stay in the AFC!" and "anyone but the Chiefs!" comments.

Feeling that a player isn't good enough for you to want your team to re-sign him, but that he IS good enough that you don't want him to go to an AFC competitor and come back to haunt you, is kind of a weird spot to be in.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Johnnyp566 said:

Well said. The Knox contract is right up there. You can get his play style/stats from an average backup. Pays to be Josh Allen’s buddy. 

Seriously of all the bad contracts, the Knox one is just astoundingly bad. We all talk ***** about the Von Miller deal (I sure am) but there wasn’t many of us complaining until the ACL injury. We just had the classic Buffalo Bills luck with that one. But with Dawson it’s just inexcusable. Seriously what did Beane or anybody see that made them think a 14 million plus salary in 2024 made sense?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Bye buddy.

I don't hate Gabe. I wish he had been active vs the Chiefs this January.

The problem is that he's just been too danged inconsistent. We badly needed more from him this year and he delivered once a month. Even if the Bills had the money to retain him (we don't) and chose to (I wouldn't) the Bills would still need to invest in another outside WR. Even if we thought he could hang on as a #2, there is no way in hell he competes for Diggs, and the Bills need a succession plan in the works.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Logic said:

The weirdest thing to me is seeing, on the one hand, almost unanimous agreement among Bills fans that they want to upgrade from Gabe Davis, and on the other hand, a bunch of "just don't stay in the AFC!" and "anyone but the Chiefs!" comments.

Feeling that a player isn't good enough for you to want your team to re-sign him, but that he IS good enough that you don't want him to go to an AFC competitor and come back to haunt you, is kind of a weird spot to be in.

Point #1: We could make up for one of our starting WRs playing poorly, but for TWO to is a difference we could not overcome. We cannot talk about Gabe without talking about Stef. That's the difference in the end. We needed AT LEAST ONE to ball out and we got neither.

Point #2: Remember that the Chiefs receivers were all inconsistent but in the end when they needed them they showed up. Timing is everything.

Just now, Jim said:

Seriously of all the bad contracts, the Knox one is just astoundingly bad. We all talk ***** about the Von Miller deal (I sure am) but there wasn’t many of us complaining until the ACL injury. We just had the classic Buffalo Bills luck with that one. But with Dawson it’s just inexcusable. Seriously what did Beane or anybody see that made them think a 14 million plus salary in 2024 made sense?

He had made a nice leap in 2021. If not a massive yard gainer, he racked up 9 TD in the regular season and 2 more vs the Patriots in the playoffs which put him in a logjam of T-9th in touchdowns that year (would have been solo 8th this year).

If he'd continued the trend, the money he was signed to would have been a bargain, and it would have been a successful case of retaining drafted talent. 

However, between his brother's deaths and injuries it hasn't worked out. He still might bounce back and have his contract worth renegotiating next year. So, not Von bad.

11 minutes ago, Logic said:

Agreed.

Personally, I don't care where he goes. He could go to the Pats, the Jets, the Chiefs, the Dolphins, the Bengals, the Texans, whoever. I'm not worried in the slightest that Gabe Davis is going to turn into this amazing WR. He is what he is after 4 years. A guy who will be too inconsistent to be what we need, and no one I'm overly concerned about if he were to line up across from our defense. 

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

Excited to see him go. Next up Dawson Knox and Tre White. And let's not forget possibly the worst contract in Bills history, Von Miller

If Miller bounces back next season and looks like he did pre injury, this won’t be close to being true. If he continues to look like he did all of 2023, then sadly it’s accurate. Point is, too early to make that statement.

12 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Bye buddy.

I don't hate Gabe. I wish he had been active vs the Chiefs this January.

The problem is that he's just been too danged inconsistent. We badly needed more from him this year and he delivered once a month. Even if the Bills had the money to retain him (we don't) and chose to (I wouldn't) the Bills would still need to invest in another outside WR. Even if we thought he could hang on as a #2, there is no way in hell he competes for Diggs, and the Bills need a succession plan in the works.

I don't think Gabe's play itself is inconsistent. I think he gives the same effort basically every play/game. It's more just that almost all of his value in the passing game comes from vertical routes, which are the lowest percentage play in general and also not Allen's strength so there's just going to be a bunch of games where it simply doesn't work and Gabe doesn't really have anything else to fall back on in the passing game.

3 hours ago, finn said:

Thank you for what memories? The downfield blocking? The "positive locker room presence"? How earnestly he ran a limited route tree and get an inch of separation? 

Nice fellow, wish him well. Also wish we had never drafted him. 

Tell me you didn't watch the video without telling me you didn't watch the video.  

Ive been critical of him too, but your response here is way off base.

47 minutes ago, Logic said:

100% agree. He can be a great #3 or #4. I think the only rationalization I have for this take is that no one wants to overpay for him right now with the team set up as it is currently. However, it is likely we bring in #2 this year and continue to lean on Kincaid. This would make Davis #3 at best to likely a #4 target. Along with Shakir developing we would be stronger with him as the #3/4.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Mixed feelings. I really want to love Gabe Davis. He’s so frustrating. His ankles get banged up every season early and he isn’t the same player the rest of the year.

Fantastic blocker and work ethic. Has obviously made huge plays.

For whatever reason(s) him and Josh have gone backwards with chemistry.  The connection is gone. Minnesota OT game, Jets game late, Eagles OT game, etc. There’s always a miscommunication between them.

He’s had a handful of games with 0 receptions.  He’s dropped a few critical balls in the past few seasons.  The ball is turned over wayyy too much when he is targeted.

I think it’s a combination of him not being utilized properly by the staff and his game

I am NOT looking forward to him going to KC and putting up 1300 and 13 TDs. Because I could totally see it happening. A fresh start for him and chemistry with Mahomes would be a nightmare

This is pretty much where I am at too.  Mixed feelings is the best way to describe it.  

On one hand, he has had many big catches and moments.  He has been a tenacious and unselfish player on doing the dirty work.  He has at times been our best deep threat.  Then on the other hand, 2022 felt like a regression of sorts, although the injury to his ankle was said to be a culprit.  Then this year not only did it not feel like a step forward, but it seemed like him and Allen chemistry declined on the field and were not on the same page like they should be at this stage.  And I think a BIG part of that was our OC's in Dorsey then Brady.  Dorsey had issues getting our guys in the right positions as it was and Brady shifted to utilizing the run game more and a short to mid attack, all of which minimized Gabes value to the point he got a game ball for blocking in a game he had zero catches and zero targets.  

Gabe can play.  But, its not always about can a guy play, its also about fit.  And Allen needs someone with a bigger route tree, trusted hands, and who is cerebral out there to make the on the fly adjustments needed to play with a QB like Allen who extends plays so many times a game.  So while Davis had his moments here, long term, the investment it would take to keep is better used elsewhere on the roster and we look to a WR rich draft to fill this WR room out around Diggs and Shakir.  

Too many people get caught up in the #2 Receiver having to be a WR2 boundary reciever, and that just isn't accurate.  With Diggs at WR1 and Shakir and Kincaid capable of being the next top 2 targets, we are in good shape heading into a WR rich draft.  IMHO, Diggs is not going anywhere this year, and I would say he is here at least this season and could still finish his career here too.  So I would say Diggs has got 1-3 years max left in Buffalo, and so they need to find someone who can ascend to that WR1 position and I think they will take 2 stabs at it this draft and take 2 WR's to bolster the room around Diggs and Shakir and then likely add a veteran FA or two as well.  

And as far as Gabe goes, I do think that if he saw the targets he could hit 1300 and 13 TD's in the right situation because he is a down the field big play type WR.  But I also don't know that the offense he was in would be very efficient either given his value and efficiency in other areas of the field is not on the same level as his down field game.  Either way, I wish him well as he has been a great unselfish teammate and player for the team while he was here, well except in games he is playing us of course lol.

Against the chiefs in the playoffs which we almost won v the league’s best D, we saw the unveiling of the precision offense that can defeat teams that force us to nickel and dime it all the way down the field.  To run this offense we need all low-mistake rate players like Shakir and Kincaid.  Gabe is not qualified for this offense. 

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Can’t wait to watch how he does on his next contract. He’d be a perfect fit in Jacksonville. Old WR coach is there.

I think all of the catching portion of WRs game went down when Chad Hall left except for Shakir due to Eric Moulds tutoring; 

Gabe's run blocking also improved this year.

8 minutes ago, Punching Bag said:

I think all of the catching portion of WRs game went down when Chad Hall left except for Shakir due to Eric Moulds tutoring; 

Gabe's run blocking also improved this year.

Run blocking is not what one wants to remember their WR2 for, and sadly that was what happened, Gabe’s chronic/annual ankle injury and his catch percentage over time really doomed his future with the Bills imo, he as said up thread was the best WR4 in the league. 

Edited by Don Otreply

57 minutes ago, Logic said:

Well that is not that weird actually.  It is not always about whether a player can play or not, its also a lot about fit.  

We run an offense that has a lot of WR options combined with the fact that Allen also improvises and extends plays a lot.  And there are 3 levels to that:  1)  Our receivers need to win their routes early so Allen can get the ball out before having to use his legs to extend a play.  And that is a combo both of the offense being run and the receiver running the routes.  2)  When Allen does extend the play, he needs cerebral players out there who can see the field, adjust, and get to an open spot for Allen.  3)  There needs to be a chemistry between Allen and the receiver for the WR to know the option to take and Allen to be aware that he his taking that option even before a move has been made.  

Like I said in a previous post, Gabe can play, but that doesn't mean he is the best fit for the offensive scheme and the make up of the WR group.  Gabe is best as a downfield threat give his route tree.  But he is lacking in a lot of the other areas making him kind of one dimensional and to easily negated from a game as a WR.  He still brings value as a blocker, but his fit as a receiving weapon here is inconsistent because this offense demands more from him to be consistent.  

If Gabe got the targets, he could put up a big season as a downfield weapon.  But the type of WR this offense and Allen will benefit more from is a guy who wins his route consistently and all over the field, not just down field.  A WR who can adjust and find a soft spot for Allen when he extends plays.  A WR who can see a defense alignment and know the option that Allen is going to expect him to take and get there.  

So, IMHO a guy like Gabe could be scary in KC because they are a team that is elite at scheming guys open according to their strengths.  KC is also elite at using a bunch of guys underneath between their TE and RB's too on plays where maybe Davis doesn't get open to still give Mahomes places to go with the ball.  

For me, its time to go another direction and let Davis go in FA as his cost will exceed his value in terms of fit for this team.  And the timing is perfect with such a WR rich draft coming and having Diggs and 2 young emerging weapons in Shakir and Kincaid to build around too.  BUT...I do think Gabe could be a dangerous weapon in the right situation like say a KC.  

50 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

He had made a nice leap in 2021. If not a massive yard gainer, he racked up 9 TD in the regular season and 2 more vs the Patriots in the playoffs which put him in a logjam of T-9th in touchdowns that year (would have been solo 8th this year).

If he'd continued the trend, the money he was signed to would have been a bargain, and it would have been a successful case of retaining drafted talent. 

However, between his brother's deaths and injuries it hasn't worked out. He still might bounce back and have his contract worth renegotiating next year. So, not Von bad.

No, it’s bad. And him making more money than Travis Kelce is just inexplicable in any scenario. He’s now a backup tight end. It’s a horrendous contract. And what is a “bounce back” season from a backup tight end? Five TD and 400 yards? For 14 million bucks? Get the ***** outta here. This was a historically bad contract, and even though I’m not a huge fan, Schopp called it from day one.

Seriously, out of our tight ends last year, he and Quentin Morris had the same amount of game changing plays. One. One for Morris against the Giants (a game we might’ve lost thanks to Dawson dropping what would’ve been a game clincher). And yes he had a bad wrist. Well guess what? If you’re so beat up that you literally can’t do what you’re paid to do, then don’t play, 

Our number one tight end play demonstrably better without Knox in the lineup. It sucks cuz Dawson truly does seem like an awesome guy, but he’s truly a JAG as a football player, and we’ve tied up superstar money in him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.