Per NFL Rumors, Wilks fired

BillsWest

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

No he didn't. His defense stopped Mahomes multiple times while Kyle's offense was stuck in neutral failing to remember they had Christian effing McCaffrey to hand it to. Then the special teams screwed up and handed the Chiefs a score. 

I am not a huge Steve Wilkes fan. I didn't like that hire to start with. But his defense was not the problem on Sunday.

I'm gonna give u credit for this your right! But Wilks did make some questionable decisions late in the game as well. I think it was that Mcd special on 2nd & 14 in OT that got him fired! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

No he didn't. His defense stopped Mahomes multiple times while Kyle's offense was stuck in neutral failing to remember they had Christian effing McCaffrey to hand it to. Then the special teams screwed up and handed the Chiefs a score. 

I am not a huge Steve Wilkes fan. I didn't like that hire to start with. But his defense was not the problem on Sunday.

Completely agree.  That game was lost because SF’s O couldn’t put the nail in the coffin.  SF D gave up an average of five points a quarter.  That should have won the game. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

If I had a direct line to Wilks, I would’ve told him to tell his players to watch out for the Mahomes keeper on the crucial 4th down in OT. Since it had gained so much yardage earlier in the game, I had a sneaky suspicion they’d go back to it. Turns out I would’ve got that one right and 9ers would’ve won the Lombardi.

• Like (+1) 1

In my judgment, Wilks got thrown under the bus.  Sounds a bit familiar. Hmm.

Perhaps Kyle should have been familiar with the "Josh Allen" overtime rules and also not overruled Wilks when he called that time out.

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, wppete said:

I agree that this was a terrible defensive call.  I, watching on TV, saw the blitz coming.  If I knew it, Mahomes and the Chiefs certainly knew it.  I said to my friends that the Chiefs would easily beat the blitz and they did.  I'd be OK with a well-disguised blitz (although blitzing Mahomes is risky in any fashion), but this was so obvious that it was very easy to beat.

I still don't know if it warrants firing Wilks.  His defense kept the 49ers in the game and the sputtering offense really failed them.  But, then, Shanahan can't fire himself.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, BillsWest said:

Per ProFootball Rumors, the 49ers have fired Steve Wilks DC.   I guess KC will do that to you!  I think the final outcome would have been different if Dre Greenlaw doesn't tear his achilles.

Not his fault KC held sometimes twice on an individual play.  They did all they could.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.