Allen needs to mentally overpower Mahomes

In whatever place these freakozoid athletes get to mentally, Allen has no choice but to get there with them. Jordan has it, Tiger has it, Nicklaus had it, Brady and Montana had it. I’m sure Lou Gehrig, Joe DiMaggio had it. Recently, all three Tennis greats have it. 

It’s all upstairs. There are ways we can tell that a great one has the instinct for winning championships. It’s how they talk, what they say, what they believe is happening, and how they lead the situation to reach the top — total belief in yourself to be the reason your team wins championships. 

Athletes are insanely confident individuals. Even proven competent pros think they’re the very best at what they do, when they’re clearly not, usually because of physical limitations. 

Allen has the physical talent to be in the historical sports best-of-the-best group, so he’ll have to find that mental place that gets him there. His, focus, concentration, and determination needs improvement. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 5
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 5
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Basketball, golf and tennis you can make the mental toughness argument to a degree, but in football it’s not a thing because the game requires so many other moving parts besides your QBs mentality to win games.

Football is the ultimate team sport.

• Like (+1) 1

Unless Allen and Mahomes were playing 1-on-1 out there, boiling it down to Mahomes beat Allen is ignorant.  Josh played fantastically in the playoffs this season.  He did not turn the ball over or make a critical mistake.  He played as well as Mahomes, if not better.  He just didn't have the supporting cast.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Straight up, Josh "overpowers" Mahomes every time and the rest of the team/coaches let Josh down. This sounds like just like the rest of the main stream media that has no clue what theyre talking about... you mustve just watched Steve A Smith when coming up with this one. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Here's what we're looking at.....one QB "expects" to win and one "hopes" to win.

We all know which is which, however, when "said" QB gets into the proper mentality of "expecting" to win, then he will get over the proverbial hump. It's the responsibility of the HC and FO to guide the QB in the proper direction of mindset and confidence....and brother, they are dropping the ball, not just on the QB, but the whole team.

This team is just not tough enough, including the QB. They have flashes here and there, but the overall toughness each week is lacking.

I have spoken.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Here's what we're looking at.....one QB "expects" to win and one "hopes" to win.

We all know which is which, however, when "said" QB gets into the proper mentality of "expecting" to win, then he will get over the proverbial hump. It's the responsibility of the HC and FO to guide the QB in the proper direction of mindset and confidence....and brother, they are dropping the ball, not just on the QB, but the whole team.

This team is just not tough enough, including the QB. They have flashes here and there, but the overall toughness each week is lacking.

I have spoken.

Josh isn’t tough enough and needs the coaches help to get there?

Wow. What an absolutely BS horrible take. Sorry to use that verbiage on something you believe in saying but that’s is just so falsely inaccurate…

Youre talking about a guy who’s given this team an absolute turnaround in success, runs the ball, throws the ball, basically does everything he can for the team whilst knowingly understands, even if it’s subconscious, that this team could give and do more to help him reach the goal and successes he’s playing the game for. 

Instead, he says nothing and puts the team first. Never complains and always takes accountability and responsibility even when it isn’t necessary. 

If you think Josh doesn’t expect to win at this point in his career then you're delusional my friend. Someone can understand the reality of their expectations without showcasing it in the manner or ways you believe because of a coaching situation. 

• Agree 1

Anybody who posts things that Allen needs to do doesn’t watch games or know football (although I don’t really want to insult someone, I just can’t think of a better way to word it). It is not Allen. Those passes need to be caught. It is obvious to not leave Travis kelce wide open etc.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Lol no.  

This is football.  This is how you “overpower” opponents.  

And we chose crap over taking Humphrey.  I guess because Sean wanted more DL that don't workout, and didn't want to upset our current Center?   No matter what it was, its ANOTHER great player Beane hasnt chosen. 

28 minutes ago, 4th&long said:

Anybody who posts things that Allen needs to do doesn’t watch games or know football (although I don’t really want to insult someone, I just can’t think of a better way to word it). It is not Allen. Those passes need to be caught. It is obvious to not leave Travis kelce wide open etc.

When compared to Mahomes there’s things Allen needs to do. 

• Agree 1

You are buying into the media narrative.

There are 22 starters on every team and almost 50 players on the roster competing every single week.  But they want to make everything about the Quarterback position, and some magical ability to "will their team to victory" in the big game.

Patrick Mahomes (as usual) is getting all the credit for Sunday's game.  But the truth is, he did almost nothing until the final quarter.  His defense played incredible all day and kept the game within reach.  The 49ers had a terrible muffed punt, which led to an easy one-play touchdown.  That was followed up a missed extra point, which allowed the Chiefs to tie the game and send it to overtime.  Yes, he took advantage when SF left the door open.  But those two special teams plays don't happen, and Mahomes almost certainly comes out on the losing end.

Josh Allen has played GREAT in his postseason career.  272 yards per game.  64.6 completion percentage.  100 passer rating.  21 touchdowns and only 4 turnovers.  The media wants to turn him into a playoff choker (because everything must be about the QB), but the reality is that he's anything but.  It's a ridiculously LAZY take.  But football is complicated and it's easier for these clowns to argue on tv about Tom Brady vs. Joe Montana vs. Mahomes, as opposed to doing a deep-dive into strategy, play-calling, matchups, etc. etc.

The real question is why Stefon Diggs never shows up in the playoffs?  Why does the pass rush (and defense as a whole) always disappear in the big playoff games? 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

10 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Lol no.  

This is football.  This is how you “overpower” opponents.  

warner did good there considering the leverage he was able to capture on this play. both players played this play well. i would actually say warner won. he didn't need to shed his block to win this play.

1 hour ago, BBFL said:

Josh isn’t tough enough and needs the coaches help to get there?

Wow. What an absolutely BS horrible take. Sorry to use that verbiage on something you believe in saying but that’s is just so falsely inaccurate…

Youre talking about a guy who’s given this team an absolute turnaround in success, runs the ball, throws the ball, basically does everything he can for the team whilst knowingly understands, even if it’s subconscious, that this team could give and do more to help him reach the goal and successes he’s playing the game for. 

Instead, he says nothing and puts the team first. Never complains and always takes accountability and responsibility even when it isn’t necessary. 

If you think Josh doesn’t expect to win at this point in his career then you're delusional my friend. Someone can understand the reality of their expectations without showcasing it in the manner or ways you believe because of a coaching situation. 

You are correct, sir.....i am delusional.

Only a delusional person sees a guy who puts the team on his shoulders and is tough on the field, but not tough on the sidelines or with his team mates. Takes the onus of the mistakes and responsibility upon himself, but never putting it on the team or HC, where it belongs. You said it yourself, "he says nothing".....a leader is vocal. A leader expresses himself to his team, no matter whether someone will get hurt feelings. A leader is not just putting the team on your back and trying to carry the workload by themselves.....a leader determines the situation, demands responsibility/accountability from everyone. A leader is not just a "one man show", but rather a blend of moving parts in cohesion....a leader makes that happen.

When i see JA sitting on the bench by himself with nothing to say to his teammates when they've f'ed up, i don't see a tough person. I see a guy who has resounded himself to the situation that our FO and HC have created for him to "have" to carry the team on his back. 

If he ever demands accountability from his teammates and HC for trying to cover up for their inadequacies, then he will hoist a Lombardi.

You ever see how emotional the KC players are on the sidelines?......they want to win, they know what it takes to win and they demand accountability from everyone in that locker room. Mahomo expects to win every time he plays.

Our guys sit on the sidelines with nothing to say to each other, each guy covering up for the mistakes and blunders for each other and never calling anyone out. JA is hoping to win every time he plays.

There's a huge difference between the 2 QB's, when one doesn't hold anyone accountable and hoping that the problems will correct themselves.....they won't, which is why were good, but just not quite good enough.

If you've ever been in a leadership role, you'll know what i'm talking about.

I don't know how simpler i can make it.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

In whatever place these freakozoid athletes get to mentally, Allen has no choice but to get there with them. Jordan has it, Tiger has it, Nicklaus had it, Brady and Montana had it. I’m sure Lou Gehrig, Joe DiMaggio had it. Recently, all three Tennis greats have it. 

It’s all upstairs. There are ways we can tell that a great one has the instinct for winning championships. It’s how they talk, what they say, what they believe is happening, and how they lead the situation to reach the top — total belief in yourself to be the reason your team wins championships. 

Athletes are insanely confident individuals. Even proven competent pros think they’re the very best at what they do, when they’re clearly not, usually because of physical limitations. 

Allen has the physical talent to be in the historical sports best-of-the-best group, so he’ll have to find that mental place that gets him there. His, focus, concentration, and determination needs improvement. 

Josh Allen needs GAME WRECKERS on his team. Chris Jones/Travis Kelce are game wreckers for the Chiefs surrounded by good players. The Bills have good players, but no game wreckers. TJ Watt is a game wrecker!! If only... 

• Like (+1) 4

I'm not a trained mind-reader.  I have no idea if Josh's focus, concentration, and determination are already maxed out or not. 

I have no reason to believe Josh is less than Mahomes in these areas.  Mahomes wins Super Bowls when Josh doesn't because Pat's on a better team.

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Sweats said:

You are correct, sir.....i am delusional.

Only a delusional person sees a guy who puts the team on his shoulders and is tough on the field, but not tough on the sidelines or with his team mates. Takes the onus of the mistakes and responsibility upon himself, but never putting it on the team or HC, where it belongs. You said it yourself, "he says nothing".....a leader is vocal. A leader expresses himself to his team, no matter whether someone will get hurt feelings. A leader is not just putting the team on your back and trying to carry the workload by themselves.....a leader determines the situation, demands responsibility/accountability from everyone. A leader is not just a "one man show", but rather a blend of moving parts in cohesion....a leader makes that happen.

When i see JA sitting on the bench by himself with nothing to say to his teammates when they've f'ed up, i don't see a tough person. I see a guy who has resounded himself to the situation that our FO and HC have created for him to "have" to carry the team on his back. 

If he ever demands accountability from his teammates and HC for trying to cover up for their inadequacies, then he will hoist a Lombardi.

You ever see how emotional the KC players are on the sidelines?......they want to win, they know what it takes to win and they demand accountability from everyone in that locker room. Mahomo expects to win every time he plays.

Our guys sit on the sidelines with nothing to say to each other, each guy covering up for the mistakes and blunders for each other and never calling anyone out. JA is hoping to win every time he plays.

There's a huge difference between the 2 QB's, when one doesn't hold anyone accountable and hoping that the problems will correct themselves.....they won't, which is why were good, but just not quite good enough.

If you've ever been in a leadership role, you'll know what i'm talking about.

I don't know how simpler i can make it.

Come on… Mahomes doesn’t throw anyone under the bus either. Never puts blame on the coaching staff or GM for the people he was throwing to. Exactly the opposite, stood up for them and believed in the course correcting itself… Something Josh does. Something a leader does. 

I’ve been in many leadership roles. Was a captain of both my football and American Football teams back in the UK… A leader looks at themselves first and asks what can I do better to help propagate, facilitate and improve to the team. 

Same as the current job I’m in… I don’t lambast, judge or critique people for their mistakes or failures in the workplace but try and come up with the solution where I am helping correct and resolve the problem behind closed doors. 

It’s obviously simpler and very different to how you handle problems. Sometimes someone can do more and say less to correct an issue. 

Self reflection has more value. Especially on a team or group. 

Edited by BBFL
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Bill Grundy said:

Allen’s had it over mahomes every time they’ve played lately. It’s the defence that couldn’t match 15 

These takes are nuts.  When it's winning time Mahomes is an ice cold killer that gets it done.  Josh has his shot to score the game winning drive to knock them out and came up short.  Time and time again Pat has proven he comes through in those situations, especially in the biggest moments of the biggest games.  Everything else is excuse making.

• Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Bill Grundy said:

Allen’s had it over mahomes every time they’ve played lately. It’s the defence that couldn’t match 15 

No one ever mentions how bad KC's defense was in the 13 seconds game. That game is probably a comfortable win for KC if DBs didn't literally fall down multiple times, leaving Bills receivers wiiiiide open at the worst possible moments. Mahomes was absolutely let down by his supporting cast in that game (also two rare missed kicks by Butker). 

And the Bills have had the better offensive supporting cast the last two years. 

• Like (+1) 1

May I please give you an example that proves this insane idea wrong?

In the 13 seconds game, Josh "mentally overpowered" Mahomes to two game winning drives in the last two minutes. He outplayed him the entire game and left the field a winner with 13 seconds left. Then the defense collapsed and he didn't get the ball again. He went home a loser.

Josh is already there. Are McDermott and the players around him there? Probably not.

So, someone needs to get better at what they do?

Wow. This is really deep. And at the same time unbelievably simplistic. You should contact Stuart Smalley.

You're good enough. You're smart enough. And doggone it, people like you.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.