Thoughts on Kyle Shanahan?

Process

30 minutes ago, Process said:

Sure if those scenarios play out then getting the ball first is better. Those scenarios aren't going to happen too often. 

If decision A gives you an advantage 80% of the time, and decision B gives you an advantage 20% of the time, seems like there is a pretty clear choice, no?

I would say that 80% is completely made up. 

also to your argument, I’d say it varies widely based on how large of an advantage. 

42 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

wouldn’t be shocked if he gets tied to purdy and it’s a second stop like Reid where he gets his guy. 

it’s going to be rough when the niners pay purdy but how do you cut the cord unless you stumble into someome like the pats did Brady 

Agreed, like Tua and Miami, they are going to be forced to pay. It will be the demise of the McDaniel Era most likely, but they can't just cut him with no backup plan at QB

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

2024 is massive for him because when Brock Purdy is earning top 5 Quarterback money I am not sure their window will still be open. 

Do you really think Purdy will earn top 5 money? Surely GMs can see plainly that he is too limited to ever be more than a bridge or backup QBs. His limitations were on display last night. I don't believe they'll be fooled by his stats.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Do you really think Purdy will earn top 5 money? Surely GMs can see plainly that he is too limited to ever be more than a bridge or backup QBs. His limitations were on display last night. I don't believe they'll be fooled by his stats.

Just the way the QB market works. I don't think he will re-set the market but at the point he signs I think he will go top 5 AAV, yep. Daniel Jones went top 10 when he signed. Purdy has a lot of wins a Superbowl appearance. Just the way the market is.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He's taken two limited backup QBs to a Super Bowl and would have won last night's if not for inexplicable player mistakes on special teams. He is easily the 2nd best head coach in the NFL.

I posted this earlier in the thread but player mistakes are something overlooked. Especially Nick Bosa…

How this guy is getting a pass for his play on the final drive to lose the game is insane. Especially, again, for the highest paid defensive player in NFL history @ $34m a year.

Watch that drive and focus on him. Literally did everything wrong and opposite to how he played the full regulation. 

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Will be interesting to see what happens with Dak and Tua. I don't think Purdy is going to accept less than those guys considering he put of similar number plus played in a Superbowl.

52 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He's taken two limited backup QBs to a Super Bowl and would have won last night's if not for inexplicable player mistakes on special teams. He is easily the 2nd best head coach in the NFL.

So McDermott is #1? 😀

50 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He has done that by his play design. Not by his Head Coaching accumen. He is an all time great offensive play designer. He might be the the GOAT, he is DEFINITELY the best Quarterback hider of all time.  But I don't think he is top 5 in terms of game management, attention to detail or in game adjustments. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But I don't think he is top 5 in terms of game management, attention to detail or in game adjustments. 

I agree. But it is hard to argue with his results. Some would say Andy Reid is not top 5 in terms of game management but his offensive scheme/play calling and ability to get the most out of his players more than makes up for it.

Give Shanahan a real QB and he'll become the next version of Andy Reid IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

I agree. But it is hard to argue with his results. Some would say Andy Reid is not top 5 in terms of game management but his offensive scheme/play calling and ability to get the most out of his players more than makes up for it.

Give Shanahan a real QB and he'll become the next version of Andy Reid IMO.

Reid is the best play caller. Shanny is the best play designer. But Reid is a better culture builder and organisational leader (whatever people think of his culture). 

Kyle has as many losing seasons in 7 years as Andy has in 25. He isn't close to Andy Reid as a Head Coach IMO.

3 hours ago, mannc said:

My working theory is that Shanahan didn't know the overtime rules, either.  It's the only explanation for that bizarre decision to take the ball first.

I still think there’s some merit to it…obviously didn’t work out that way though and the players not knowing the rules is a huge red flag against Shanahan regardless  so this is not to defend him at all lol 

if it goes fg-fg you win on just another fg.  And if it goes td-td the other team is gonna go for two and you’ve got a shot to stop it for the win.  I think two point conversions are successful a little less than half the time 

you can def make the case for going for that fourth and medium rather than settling for the fg but that’s pretty low percentage too with how good that chiefs defense has been

I think they were just destined to lose once they didn’t connect on that third down play lol 

the other team knows they need a fg and are in four down territory the way it worked out but it’s only up until fg range more than likely.  

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Started out in agreement but idk that they would have won if not for that special teams play.  49ers just had no answers in that second half.  Their first three drives after halftime they totaled -3 yards and the defense started to gas out 

59 minutes ago, julian said:

Matt Ryan Jimmy G and Brock Purdy, the fact he got to a Super Bowl with these QBs they should have a separate shrine at the HOF for him.

Great offensive mind, questionable big game decisions.

Come on man. Matt Ryan was legit. Definitely a quality starter for a while in the league. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.