The 1970's

10 hours ago, muppy said:

I remember being legal to drink alcohol at age 18 in 1976 that was a benchmark.

You remember at that time, licenses were just ink jet printed on thick paper (not even as stout as business cards…LOL), and not laminated.

Sssssoooo, clever, thirsty young rebels could very carefully use a pencil eraser to change the DOB on your license, and wallah, no waiting til age 18!

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

You remember at that time, licenses were just ink jet printed on thick paper (not even as stout as business cards…LOL), and not laminated.

Sssssoooo, clever, thirsty young rebels could very carefully use a pencil eraser to change the DOB on your license, and wallah, no waiting til age 18!

Quite a few people born in 1956 found that a pin could alter the block lettering 6 into a 5, at least on NY state driver licenses. 😁

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

AND who can forget the ubiquitous Sabres Sabrejak in BFLo!

m_635d61391741be1b8b290e98.jpeg

https://poshmark.com/listing/Vintage-70s-Large-NHL-Hockey-Buffalo-Sabres-Sabrejak-Satin-Bomber-Button-Jacket-635d608cb3df3c3b2a7135fe

And Jim Schoenfeld's record album!

https://www.amazon.com/Schony-Jim-Schoenfeld/dp/B00411CRXM

😆

AND Josh is "Hollywood?"

ShoutOut: @Mike in Horseheads 😉

On the album he had a beautiful smile. One time the local sports reporter wanted to interview him as he was coming off the ice at practice. He said

'wait a minute, I have to put my teeth in." He maybe had only 4-5 left. That was before helmets or face shields.

Remember the game against Boston in his rookie season (71?) when he fought  Orr. Vandais and Cashman  in the same game and won all 3! Then you had to get in 3 fights in a game to get ejected. The one with Cashman, they broke through the Zamboni entrance and were fighting in the tunnel under the stands!

Edited by Wacka
  • Like (+1) 4

A lot of boys had a crush on Marcia at that time. Same goes for Christina Applegate during her MWC days. Probably can add Leah Remini during her KOQ days as well. Marcia was a little before my time, but I definitely had a crush on Christina. 

2 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

You didn't have to get a Sherriffs ID Card when you turned 18? I still have mine from '78

5 hours ago, Pete said:

I’m a huge record collector and one thing I look for is oddball albums, such as those by sports figures.  I’ve been looking for Schoeny vinyl, so far I’m still looking.  Recently I acquire Shaquille ONeil - I’m so Awesome lol

That's vinyl on Amazon.  Acceptable $19. Good condition/collectible $33.

3 hours ago, wnyguy said:

You didn't have to get a Sherriffs ID Card when you turned 18? I still have mine from '78

The Sheriff's Cards were laminated with a nice color picture in 1975. When I turned 18, went downtown (no suburban auto bureaus then) to register to vote at the Board Elections, to the jail to get my sheriff's card, and to the selective Service to register and get a draft card.

Friend who was 3 months older got one. When I went in March '75 , they told me they were going to change it to registering to twice a year and then they changed it to once a year an a few months later abolished Selective Service, Brought registering at 18 back years later.

To get your Sheriff's Card you went to the lobby of the county jail downtown.  Turn one way and ir was the visitor's waiting  room to see your relative inside. Turn the other way and it was to get photographed for the card. I heard of peoplee going to bars down south and they thought you were a cop or an employee of the Department. They said they were tretated nice in those bars.😀

Edited by Wacka
  • Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, muppy said:

I remember being legal to drink alcohol at age 18 in 1976 that was a benchmark.

I remember being the coat check girl at a Genesee county bar called "The Primitive Scene" and last call was "suffragette City" David Bowie

wamm bam thank u Ma'am 🙂

I met Gary Lewis from the Playboys at that place.  He totally hit on me like I was some cheap hussy I was aloof and thought what a DORK lol

The Rich stadium summer concerts were legend. I attended almost all of those.

Going to my first Bills game which was the first time MNF played in Rich stadium with my mother. (1973)

Legal drinking age was 18 and even if you were obviously smashed while driving, cops usually didn't give out DWIs. 

Saw the Rolling Stones at Rich Stadium July 4th, 1978. Journey, the Atlanta Rhythm Section and April Wine opened. 

7 hours ago, teef said:

i bet everyone in this tread is threatened by my youth.  

Our wisdom would not allow that.  😋

I never had a fake ID, we just went places where people didn’t ask. Most of my friends were a year or even two older, so I just mixed in with them and I was good in a lot of bars when I was about 16. Yes, that may explain some things. 

Speaking of fake ID’s, a little PSA here: My son bought one for $25 when he was a freshman in college. It’s no joke these days, he was arrested for identity theft outside the store. I’m not sure what all the details are from a legal standpoint, but it was NOT a little thing. 

EDIT: But the paper licenses were a joke. Anybody roughly like you is such a silly thought now. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Bills4everNY said:

Legal drinking age was 18 and even if you were obviously smashed while driving, cops usually didn't give out DWIs. 

Saw the Rolling Stones at Rich Stadium July 4th, 1978. Journey, the Atlanta Rhythm Section and April Wine opened. 

I turned 18 in High School back then. I had to wait a year to start Kindergarten because of when my birthday fell. I could leave school on a Friday and head to the bar. Not that big of a deal because there was this dive bar in my area that would serve me when I was 17.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

I turned 18 in High School back then. I had to wait a year to start Kindergarten because of when my birthday fell. I could leave school on a Friday and head to the bar. Not that big of a deal because there was this dive bar in my area that would serve me when I was 17.

Hey, as long as that wasn’t Jack Daniels in your thermos, I think you’re good. 

• Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

It just occurred to me, you could sneak out during your lunch period on a Tuesday, as well. 

Be honest…….

😂

• Haha (+1) 1

On 2/8/2024 at 7:21 AM, teef said:

i bet everyone in this tread is threatened by my youth.  

hey not me. I'm not threatened at all. I need  strong young whippersnapper to do my lawn and climb ladders.

and if you play your cards REALLY right I'll let you apply to be my boy toy

🤭

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Our wisdom would not allow that.  😋

I never had a fake ID, we just went places where people didn’t ask. Most of my friends were a year or even two older, so I just mixed in with them and I was good in a lot of bars when I was about 16. Yes, that may explain some things. 

Speaking of fake ID’s, a little PSA here: My son bought one for $25 when he was a freshman in college. It’s no joke these days, he was arrested for identity theft outside the store. I’m not sure what all the details are from a legal standpoint, but it was NOT a little thing. 

EDIT: But the paper licenses were a joke. Anybody roughly like you is such a silly thought now. 

Bars in Utica I went to in the 70s before I was 18, Rascals, the Rockaway Tavern,  Johnny's Hideout, never checked for ID. A lot of the people there were  underage. 

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals etc ...

Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Outlaws

Saturday Night Live - Aykroyd, Belushi, Murray, Radner, Chase etc ...

High School smoking lounges for students

Atari

The Exorcist, The Godfather, Jaws, Star Wars

Thai stick, Hash

Michelob, Stroh's, Lowenbrau

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, frostbitmic said:

Atari

Thai stick, Hash

I love this list.

Noone has posted the 1976 Bicentennial celebrations.  

James Taylor Carol King Moody Blues

DARK SHADOWS

Senior skip day at Letchworth

Star Wars

skunk weed when that was all you could find

Molson Golden Ale

OV Splits

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, muppy said:

I love this list.

Noone has posted the 1976 Bicentennial celebrations.  

James Taylor Carol King Moody Blues

DARK SHADOWS

Senior skip day at Letchworth

Star Wars

skunk weed when that was all you could find

Molson Golden Ale

OV Splits

We did the same :thumbsup:

44 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Atari

Thai stick, Hash

Watching SCTV and then  going out to the bars.

My HS took a basement room and  made it into a 'rap room". Put old couches and a table made out of an old wire spool. Allowed  Seniors only, allowed smoking , no teachers but I bet there were  narcs there, smoking allowed

Getting together with  friends , pooling our change and getting quarts of Ginny Cream (the green death aka Gennt Screamers). ("Ok, we have $2.00, we can get 3 quarts!")

Edited by Wacka
  • Like (+1) 1

On 2/6/2024 at 4:58 PM, dpberr said:

The irony of the 1970s is that there was pretty substantial danger lurking out there.

Lead paint.  Please don't eat it.

Seat belts?  Air bags?

Let's smoke in the mall.  In the hospital.  In our living room with the kids around.

DDT kills mosquitos.  And humans.

Asbestos in schools

Serial killers

Kidnappers (Chowchilla)

Airplane crashes - Before 9/11, the Tenerife disaster on March 27, 1977 had the largest loss of life, and the 1979 crash of AA 191 was the deadliest crash in the US.

Quantas.  Quantas never crashed.  

Let's not forget:

LSD (not that I ever tried it)

The Grateful Dead The toured for pretty much the entire decade

If you wanted to bet a football game you did so with the Mafia (or aome other gang affiliated illegal bookie. The biggest bet I ever made was as a very young teen, I bet $275 against $250 and took the Raiders over the Vikings. It was a blood bath. :) 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Do they still have parlay cards?  A few college games for the Saturday, and usually the full NFL Sunday schedule.  I forget the odds, somehow pick 4 correct out of 4 games paid 10:1 ?

Just about every blue collar plant had an agent working them.  Plenty of high schools, too.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Do they still have parlay cards?  A few college games for the Saturday, and usually the full NFL Sunday schedule.  I forget the odds, somehow pick 4 correct out of 4 games paid 10:1 ?

Just about every blue collar plant had an agent working them.  Plenty of high schools, too.

I remember them and a tie was considered a lost bet, so none of the point spreads involved half points.

• Agree 1

On 2/5/2024 at 10:04 AM, coloradobillsfan said:

I hear more songs from the 70s in advertising and media than any other decade.  Do decades even have tangible 'sounds' anymore? 

The first time I heard a Who song in an ad I probably cried- I couldn't believe the band that'd led me through the minefields of feckin brilliant rebellion, angst, underage *****, teenage despair and ultimately triumph, could sell their souls to an ad campaign.  It still disappoints me, and however numb we may get to all of it, and to all of these artists, it should disappoint you too. 

• Agree 1

On 2/5/2024 at 12:24 PM, dpberr said:

It's the control of ideas and controlled socialization with others.  There's no longer room for the risky idea.  Or the perhaps stupid idea.  There's no longer many venues to share ideas in person.  

Next to no government or corporate overlords in the 1960s....then the 1970s it slowly ratchets.  You get a little more control in the 1980s, little more in the 1990s.  A slow ratchet that really took off after 9/11 and overheated with Covid.    

As you reflect on the present, the "idea" is heavily controlled by the government and corporations where every idea in products, news, entertainment, politics is deliberately there for your consumption.  The idea *must* generate a profit or influence you in one way or another.  They also prefer you not socializing - just sit in your house and get all of your entertainment and products sent to you.  

Whatever happened to:

One hit wonders? 

Stupid music videos?

Indie movies? 

Stupid cars like the Pontiac Aztek? 

Why hasn't Tastykake produced any new snack in 30 years?  

Where to socialize?  Dance clubs, bowling alleys, roller skating, the mall - all dead.  

Local news is largely dead - it's mostly AP (heavily controlled) wire crap.

There is no way ol' Tay Tay is as big of a star as she is today in any previous decade.  She's the star she is today because corporate America has eliminated nearly all of the competition.  She makes them a ton of money and in return, there's no indie star out there that has any potential to eclipse her.  Corporate America needs a new Britney so they are force feeding Tate McRae out on the airwaves.  

The Cyber Truck IMO is a stupid idea, but it only exists because Elon Musk is throwing his F-You money at it.   It is very unlikely the K-Car, Ford Taurus or the Dodge Minivan would be made today because both cars were "crazy" ideas in US car making circles at the time.  

It'll take 16 months to digest this post. but thank you for stating the way you see it... and I totally see a *****-ton of what you're saying.
I have a bit of a different take on where the 70's came from - I think a lot of the kids in the 70's had dads that fought in D-day, Rabaul and Korea,,, and their kids weren't going to be pussies.   The whole decade was looking for a fistfight as far as I can remember.  

49 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

The first time I heard a Who song in an ad I probably cried- I couldn't believe the band that'd led me through the minefields of feckin brilliant rebellion, angst, underage *****, teenage despair and ultimately triumph, could sell their souls to an ad campaign.  It still disappoints me, and however numb we may get to all of it, and to all of these artists, it should disappoint you too. 

Uh, no... They were sellouts since day one. 😆  Maybe the irony was lost on people.

1967:

1619087377_cover.jpg

😏 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

On 2/8/2024 at 6:39 AM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Quite a few people born in 1956 found that a pin could alter the block lettering 6 into a 5, at least on NY state driver licenses. 😁

Or a 3 to a 2, in my case. Only got caught once (by a cashier), so I quickly put it back and left. That was shortly before my 18th BD, so not a big deal.

And so I'd never show the altered one to a cop, I told the DMV that I'd lost it, and they reissued one with my real birthday.

4 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

I used to feel that way, but I changed my tune (excuse the pun). Two reasons:

1. I heard the song "I've Been Everywhere" in a commercial and although I wasn't familiar with the song, I recognized the voice of Johnny Cash. I hadn't heard much of his music other than Folsom, A Boy Named Sue, and a couple of his songs that the Grateful Dead had covered, so I bought the compilation album "Cash" and discovered a bunch more songs that I loved. I've heard a few other songs in commercials that I hadn't heard before, looked them up, and bought some music. You can argue that it's a marketing ploy, but the way I see it is that it's exposing the new generation to older music.

2. If you work for a company that produces something, aren't you effectively "selling out your talents?" Why should artists be any different? I'm a freelance technical writer who writes for e-mags and print trade journals. Sometimes I write an article that's sponsored by a vendor. Am I selling out?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/9/2024 at 8:47 AM, Gregg said:

Who remembers when football pre/postgame shows were like this. We are winning 3-0. I hope we won the game :)

Actually we did, one of only 3 NFL games to end with a score of 5-0. One was in 1927, with the Buffalo Bisons on the bad end of the score, the other a little more recent, 1970.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

1. I heard the song "I've Been Everywhere" in a commercial and although I wasn't familiar with the song, I recognized the voice of Johnny Cash. I hadn't heard much of his music other than Folsom, A Boy Named Sue, and a couple of his songs that the Grateful Dead had covered, so I bought the compilation album "Cash" and discovered a bunch more songs that I loved. I've heard a few other songs in commercials that I hadn't heard before, looked them up, and bought some music. You can argue that it's a marketing ploy, but the way I see it is that it's exposing the new generation to older music.

2. If you work for a company that produces something, aren't you effectively "selling out your talents?" Why should artists be any different? I'm a freelance technical writer who writes for e-mags and print trade journals. Sometimes I write an article that's sponsored by a vendor. Am I selling out?

I always found it ironic that 'Fortunate Son', written as an anti war song was co-opted by Levis to sell pants.  I also liked how John Fogerty went after the record label for selling the rights to the song.

• Agree 1

On 2/13/2024 at 8:46 AM, WhoTom said:

Without a question, yes.  And I have too.  BUT, I doubt either of us have put ourselves into a position where we've claimed to be the spokespersons for a movement or generation.  

I don't know about you, but I still have time.  

On 2/5/2024 at 12:34 PM, Augie said:

They made a show about the 70’s. I forget what they called it.   

😋

Hogan's Heroes, I believe. 

So I was working at a Fox affiliate, when I think the show you're referencing (Maude?) came out.  That 70's Show was easily the best show the network was about to put on the air in 1998(?).  

Another show they had us... focus group... was called, 'Fox Files'.  

You'll never guess this, but the name of the show had already been claimed by a porn company.  For those of you loyal 'Fox Files' devotees, I'm sorry, but that's how the show met its untimely end. Wonderful Show, Beautiful show.  But it's not a show any more.  

Some other memories of the 1970s ...

- on May 4, 1970 four students at Kent State University in Kent, Ohio, were killed when National Guardsmen opened fire on a crowd of students protesting the US bombing of Cambodia.  The US interference in Cambodia led directly to the Khmer Rouge under Pol Pot ruling the country and the death of more than 2 million Cambodians.

- Secretariat's magnificent 26 length win in the Belmont Stakes to become the first Triple Crown winner since 1948.  Time Magazine featured him on their cover as "Super Horse" in June, 1973.

- the resignation of Richard Nixon as POTUS on August 8, 1974, in order to avoid impeachment for his role in the Watergate scandal

- the chaotic scenes of the last US helicopters departing Saigon in April, 1975

- the Blizzard of 1977, infinitely worst than our recent blizzards IMO because of the breadth, strength, and duration of the blizzard conditions as well as the extreme cold (Blizzard of 1977).  Surprisingly, 23 people died in this blizzard in all of WNY -- in an era before 24-7 weather, storm warnings days ahead of the event, weather alerts, cell phones, etc -- compared to about 50 in the 2022 storm. 

On 2/7/2024 at 5:58 PM, Dr. Who said:

Really great decade for music, but when I think '70s, I mainly think of how these fellas never stopped ruining Sundays.

image.png.60ec2560a3302d115b69fa4983bbb09f.png

The Bills were 0-for-the-1970s against the Fish.  When the Chuck Knox-coached Bills beat the Fish 17-7 in Rich Stadium on opening day, 1980, the fans tore down the goalposts.  The celebrations for the Bills making the Super Bowl a decade later probably wasn't as great as that moment.

Edited by SoTier
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1