Will Derrick Henry be a Bill in 2024?

FireChans

Gosh I hope not.

There are a positively insane amount of free agent running backs this year. Just wait out the game of musical chairs and offer a bottom basement deal to whoever's left without a place to sit. Re-sign Ty Johnson, as he won't command much and will want more of the opportunities that the Bills offense afforded him. Then draft/add two RBs somewhere between round 6 and UDFA.

Cook
FA signee
Ty Johnson
Draftee/UDFA

I just really have no interest in the Bills either spending big money that they don't have on a running back, or adding a running back who would take James Cook off the field.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

33 minutes ago, Logic said:

Gosh I hope not.

There are a positively insane amount of free agent running backs this year. Just wait out the game of musical chairs and offer a bottom basement deal to whoever's left without a place to sit. Re-sign Ty Johnson, as he won't command much and will want more of the opportunities that the Bills offense afforded him. Then draft/add two RBs somewhere between round 6 and UDFA.

Cook
FA signee
Ty Johnson
Draftee/UDFA

I just really have no interest in the Bills either spending big money that they don't have on a running back, or adding a running back who would take James Cook off the field.

though we may see him not get the big bucks and need a cheaper place to sit. 

likely above our target but could be far less than I think most are imagining 

On 2/4/2024 at 8:19 PM, bigK14094 said:

He earned his salary and was a surprising receiving threat.

The Brady connection makes this plausible.  Can't tell though, CEH may not want to be #2 behind Cook.

I don’t think CEH is in any position to try to demand a starting gig after being unseated by a 6th round, nobody.   He’s not good.  I’d rather keep Johnson.

11 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

though we may see him not get the big bucks and need a cheaper place to sit. 

likely above our target but could be far less than I think most are imagining 

Maybe, but...

Coming off seasons of

1900 yards 13 TDs
and
1300 yards 12 TDs

...I see his agents looking for -- and Henry receiving -- more money than what the Bills realistically have to offer. I realize he's 30 years old, but this isn't a "past his prime, take what he can get" kind of situation. This is a "Hall of Fame back who can still be a bellcow and finish top 10 in rushing yards for another year or two" situation.

I think he ends up signing with Baltimore or Dallas for a mid-level running back salary.

On 2/4/2024 at 2:37 AM, FireChans said:

I’m slowly getting more and more convinced this is the kind of old good player that Beane will go after. Especially with Brady’s emphasis on the run and McD being a defensive guy. A pound the rock for 3 YPC guy just feels right.

So what do we think?

Henry is no pound the rock for 3yds player but with that being said it's a classic McBeane move to go after a big name player that's past there prime

• Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Maybe, but...

Coming off seasons of

1900 yards 13 TDs
and
1300 yards 12 TDs

...I see his agents looking for -- and Henry receiving -- more money than what the Bills realistically have to offer. I realize he's 30 years old, but this isn't a "past his prime, take what he can get" kind of situation. This is a "Hall of Fame back who can still be a bellcow and finish top 10 in rushing yards for another year or two" situation.

I think he ends up signing with Baltimore or Dallas for a mid-level running back salary.

define mid level rb salary- as I think that’s where a lot of the expectations diverge in this thread 

Also, what a heavily used back did at 28 doesn’t matter much at 30 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

define mid level rb salary- as I think that’s where a lot of the expectations diverge in this thread 

Also, what a heavily used back did at 28 doesn’t matter much at 30 

The 12th highest RB salary by AAV in 2023 was $6M. 

Some folks have not caught on to how long the RB market has gone. The differences in these numbers is pretty meaningless. Murray and Harris cost $3M against the cap and Henry is, at least, twice as good as them combined.

Jim Brown retired after 118 games with 12,312 yards gained and 106 TD's

Henry has played 119 games, has 9,502 yards gained and 90 TD's

Have to wonder how much he has left in the tank.  Elliott came into the league at the same time, and he didn't exactly rock the league this year.

Just now, BearNorth said:

Jim Brown retired after 118 games with 12,312 yards gained and 106 TD's

Henry has played 119 games, has 9,502 yards gained and 90 TD's

Have to wonder how much he has left in the tank.  Elliott came into the league at the same time, and he didn't exactly rock the league this year.

saw a clip of him working out the other day…. 

he’s just different.  Can still be elite for a few more seasons IMO

23 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

We're 50M over the cap and already signing Derrick Henry, Terry Mclauren and Mike Evans.

I'm not for signing Henry, but after restructures of Josh Allen and others, plus contract extensions for Dawkins, Douglas, Taron and possibly Morse, the Bills will be 20-30 million under the cap.

1 hour ago, Special K said:

I'm not for signing Henry, but after restructures of Josh Allen and others, plus contract extensions for Dawkins, Douglas, Taron and possibly Morse, the Bills will be 20-30 million under the cap.

That's true but all those restructures do is kick the can down the road. If we want to move on from Diggs as early as next year all the restructuring we've done will end up being a dead cap hit at some point that we'll have to eat. Allen is fine he'll be here forever but what about guys like Knox (I hear he's making more than Travis Kelce), Dion Dawkins is getting older, pretty soon all these restructures are going to bite us in the ass. Just fill in the spots you need after the restructures with drafted talent and get out of the restructure hell!