Bills Receivers worst in drops in the NFL since Brady took over

10 hours ago, Ray Stonada said:

Shakir is money.

Diggs is money when his head is right. 

Kincaid is money.

Everyone else is gone except Knox. He’s probably not going to change at this point. 

Shorter and Isabella, I don’t know.

Agreed.

And if Shorter and/or Isabella are getting regular snaps next season, then our offseason was a fail 

'QB arm is too strong'-->yep, we are not in the drought years anymore! 1st world complaint right there!!

Cook is not a WR and became a centerpiece post-Dorsey. Cook dropping passes along the way. His drops are statistically significant. 

11 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

So, where are you getting those stats? I'd love to see week by week data.

In any case, there are many causes. It's not one thing, it's many working together.

But a lot of it is that Josh has a bit harder time with short throws than with longer ones, and that he sometimes puts mustard on balls that are short, making it really hard to handle. And mustard from Josh is hotter than just about any other in the league. More short throws under Brady than under Dorsey.

That's not all, though. Receivers  certainly have a part in it.

Oh, and take a look at your math. It's a small difference, but 21 drops in 229 passes is 9.17%. I assume you meant in-season drops, right? That's 229 attempts. If you were including the playoffs, it would be 69 more throws.

So, not 10.1%. Instead 9.17%. Not that that's a great figure either, but correct figures are more useful in understanding the world.

I got them from Joe Marino in this podcast:

I don't know where exactly Joe got the numbers, but Joe has plenty of credibility to trust those numbers are accurate.

I just thought it was super interesting because I think Brady did a great job, but we had a lot more drops.  I think on NFL Live Dan Orlovsky was doing a bit showing how the switch from Dorsey to Brady shifted a lot more of our passing focus to passes behind the LOS with screens and balls down the field.  And as we saw in the KC game, it's a lot of those down the field passes that wind up being drops.  James Cook dropped multiple TDs that would also be considered those "down the field" passes.

Along with a lot of the coaching discussion. We see a lot of these issues yet no forced changed to coaching staffs. A lot of these issues in my opinion are lack of repetition and preparedness. That at least partially falls on our coaches. Our RB coach has been here since 2017 and I wonder have our RB's grown under his watch? Singletary. Moss, and now Cook I would argue have not shown a town of growth in most parts of their game. Cook and his fumbles and drops are up compared to college. Cook still is not fully trusted to run block or many times be the receiving back. Just one example. 

7 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

My theory is that JA throws the ball so hard that the Bills receivers have broken hands.  

/ sarcasm

Not to be a douche, but josh doesn’t really throw a receiver friendly ball. He only has a low trajectory fastball. The receivers ARE supposed to catch everything (being pros) but josh doesn’t do himself any favors. 

10 minutes ago, Shortchaz said:

He only has a low trajectory fastball.

This is obviously false. What are we even doing here? Again, he had ZERO dropped interceptions on the season. If defenders can catch his passes, his teammates that are paid to catch his passes can do it too.

It's crazy how many excuses fans come up with to avoid admitting that his pass catchers simply weren't very good this year. Shakir was probably the best of them over the course of the entire season, and that represents a huge failure by Beane.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

JOsh throws balls to spots upon occasion hoping his receiver will get there.  I have seen both Davis and Shikir "get there", so that sometime works.  But, Josh likes the hero ball throw, and sometimes the receivers get a glove and nothing else on the ball...hence called a drop.  so, the comment above about some being on Josh is correct.  But, he does that for the right reason, and sometimes it works out ok.  On the other hand, Cooks drops this year were just lack of concentration and poor hands.  I won't say bad hands, he catches some, but dropped the td pass against the Chiefs.  Can't do that against them and be a winner.

This is incorrect.  Stats sites are really lenient on the receiver. They only count a drop if it's a routine catch. The ball pretty much needs perfect placement and if it's in any way difficult of a catch they don't record it as a drop.  Even if they get both hands fully on the ball, if they had to jump for it or have to outstretch for it or have to go low for it or anything... they don't record it as a drop.  This is why you might see a receiver drop balls in game but then look at the stat sheet and see zero drops.

Edited by Scott7975

Just now, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

Cook is the worst 'pass catching' RB I've seen in awhile. Dude has stone hands. 

He doesn't have stone hands which is the really frustrating part.  I think it is a concentration issue.  The corner route he ran from the backfield for a TD against Dallas is a catch stone hands receivers don't make.  Way too many drops for his skillset.

9 minutes ago, mbowman14 said:

He doesn't have stone hands which is the really frustrating part.  I think it is a concentration issue.  The corner route he ran from the backfield for a TD against Dallas is a catch stone hands receivers don't make.  Way too many drops for his skillset.

"Butter fingers" then?

Point is that the empirical evidence thus far is he is bad at catching a football. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

It's hard to determine why this happened, but once Brady took over, Buffalo had:

21 drops

10.1% drop rate

Both worst in the NFL over that span

I don't blame Brady for the drops . . . just as I did not blame Dorsey for turnovers and players not performing as they should (although some here wanted to blame Dorsey for that, inflation, crime, the war in the Ukraine, October 7 . . . ).

Players need to perform. 

13 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

They started throwing more bubble screens to Diggs early in games, and it seemed like alot of those fell incomplete. Then mix in Cook, Gabe, and Knox dropping one or two a game each, and that's the bulk of them.

Most of Knox's drops were when he was playing with a broken wrist.  Diggs wrists are not as broken as far as I can tell, but Im not a doctor

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This is obviously false. What are we even doing here? Again, he had ZERO dropped interceptions on the season. If defenders can catch his passes, his teammates that are paid to catch his passes can do it too.

It's crazy how many excuses fans come up with to avoid admitting that his pass catchers simply weren't very good this year. Shakir was probably the best of them over the course of the entire season, and that represents a huge failure by Beane.

Well said Happy.  Sorry to hear about Carl Weathers.

• Sad 1

You can make an argument that the drops directly cost the Bills games:

*  Against the Jags the Diggs drop at the 5 yard line that resulted in a Jag INT was huge.

*  Against NE the 4th down drop by Knox was huge.

*  Against the Eagles the TD drop by Cook was huge.

*  Against Denver the drop by Davis that ended up as a Broncos INT was huge.

*  Against the Chiefs the 3 drops by Sherfield & Diggs combined were huge.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, HappyDays said:

The two things aren’t mutually exclusive. The receivers sucked and josh could work on his touch. 

We saw Beane go after Kincaid because of his hands. I expect the same this year when we take a WR.

1. Hands

2. Speed

3. Route technician

Likely are the 3 most important criteria that Beane is looking for in a WR in this class

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, DJB said:

We saw Beane go after Kincaid because of his hands. I expect the same this year when we take a WR.

1. Hands

2. Speed

3. Route technician

Likely are the 3 most important criteria that Beane is looking for in a WR in this class

Of the receivers that should be there at 28, sounds like AD Mitchell to me? Maybe #2 not as much

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.