The Most Embarrassing Day in Bills’ History

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

9 turnovers is insane; how is that even possible?

I haven’t seen that game since it aired (for obvious reasons), but now am curious to go back and watch it.

(I do remember one of the SB’s against Dallas, we were up at halftime!).

I was 19 at the time, and watched that game at the Bills Backers bar we used to have, Township Grille in Matthews, NC. We had a huge buffet set up with wings, sausage sammiches and cavatelle with meatballs and sauce.

The first half was GLORIOUS.... After Thurman's fumble the game was awful and one of the guys punched a hole in the kitchen wall!!!!

@KOKBILLS was there! He remembers LOL

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

The recent back and forth whether to move on from McDermott because he “can’t get us over the hump” takes me back to one game: Super Bowl XXVII against the Dallas Cowboys.  The Bills had an up and down 1992 season, failing to win the division and losing Kelly to injury last game of the season.  The playoffs, however, were memorable, starting with the Comeback against the Oilers, followed by impressive road wins against the Steelers with Reich again at QB, and the Dolphins, with Kelly back at QB.  

The Super Bowl, however, was a debacle and an embarrassment.  No question Cowboys had a very strong team and frankly a better team.  It shouldn’t have been a blowout.  It’s interesting to look at stats and play-by-play from the game.  Bills had more first downs and total yardage was relatively close.  Final score - 52 - 17!  Two key sequences. Down 14 - 7, Bills has second and goal from Dallas one.  Two runs and an interception followed.  Later, Bills down 21 - 7, Bills had first and goal inside the Dallas 5 and settled for a FG.  That was pretty much all she wrote.  The embarrassing part was that the Bills fumbled eight times and lost five and threw four interceptions, two each by Kelly and Reich.  Nine turnovers in the biggest game of the year!!!! 

It’s hard to imagine a less well prepared team going into a big game.  Levy was a good coach, not a great coach. It was clear after that game that he’d never lead the Bills to a SB win.  Do you fire a coach who has led you to three straight SB’s?  In hindsight, the answer is, yeah you probably do.  Blow it up and let your GM start the rebuild. Instead we fire the GM and keep the coach.

Does this give any insight to our present situation?  I think yes.  McDermott should be on the hot seat this year.  Super Bowl or bust.  If we don’t do in 2024, time to move on.

I remember being flabbergasted back then that they fired Polian when in my opinion Levy needed to be shown the door. 

However, I'm one of those who is not convinced that firing McDermott is going to result in a better result for this Bills team. I actually think McDermott is a better coach than Levy. Those 1990s Bills teams were loaded with talent, more talent relative to the rest of the league at that time than the current Bills are relative to the other AFC teams. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

The Giants game was the only one they should have won. They were the better team. Washington just physically manhandled the Bills. The Cowboys were the better team although the 9 turnovers in the first game against them didn't help.

It’s a greater accomplishment that we got to those SBs because we weren’t the best team other than the Giants game. The Norwood miss was a killer because that team revolutionized football with the no huddle. Once NFL defensive coaches studied Beliceck’s blueprint to handle us, we were not as dominant. Also our defense couldn’t neutralize Washington or Dallas with their O- lines and weapons.

3 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I haven’t seen that game since it aired (for obvious reasons), but now am curious to go back and watch it.

We even punted 3 times with the 9 turnovers.

• Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Unforgiven said:

I had a party and literally threw everyone out. Haven't had a superbowl party since.

Fn humiliating.

Giants - had a party at the house; Redskins - wife gave birth to our daughter during the game; Cowboys I - watched it alone; went for a bike ride the second half; Cowboys I I - went golfing.

This was the only Super Bowl I attended.  A few thoughts and a little advice:

• Though we got killed, it was an incredible experience!  I would go again in a heartbeat - it was that much fun!!
  • NY Times Story
  • Nine turnovers was insane, do you know how many points Dallas scored off those turnovers?  35.  The margin of victory. 
  • If we protected the ball better, it may have been a different story.  Dallas was not that much better, but as their lead grew, they were able to dictate the game.
  • When in a "no tomorrow" situation, the Bills pressed and took BIG chances that ended up being turnovers.
  • Michael Jackson was the halftime show - very cool!
  • Super Bowl Saturday Night included a free concert at which Garth Brooks sang a couple of songs. (I couldn't find any reference to it on-line, but I swear it was a thing at that SB!)
  • I didn't remember that Brooks did sing the National Anthem at the game and there was some pre-game controversy around it.
  • My advice:  If you get the chance (and can afford it) - GO!  Despite losing big, it was still an awesome experience!!!
Edited by Never NEVER Give-up
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrBob806 said:

That's when I realized Kelly was over rated, hate to say it. 

Yeah two terrible interceptions when the game was still close and then he got hurt. 

Those years were a shame as the Bills pretty much dominated the NFC, except for those 4 Super Bowls.

• Like (+1) 1

SB vs Dallas in 1993 was an embarrassing loss for sure and the magnitude of the game probably puts it as the most devastating! To me though the most embarrassed and angry that I have felt in my 45 years of fandom was the 56-10 Jauron loss on Sunday night football vs the Pats where the Bills just put their asses up and took it and Belichick just kept going for 2!

Back to the SB game. I was feeling very confident in the Bills chances. I thought for sure the Cowboys would be a better opponent than SF. The resulting pounding was shocking to me. Sure the Cowboys were talented but on that day they were way better prepared than the Bills who as soon as things got tough just crumbled. Levy was a good coach and was an old school "win one for the gipper" inspiring speech motivator but compared to JJ on Dallas and his preparation he was obsolete. The game itself was such a trainwreck of gaffes and bad luck. Had the Bills even avoided 2 of the turnovers they could have hung with Dallas until they found their feet. But the opposite happened. The Kelly fumble throw into the arms of the Dallas player for a TD was just crushing but the subsequent one in the endzone in the 2nd quarter was devastating. Even when Reich came in, I thought they had a chance but the incredible gaffes never stopped. Fumble after fumble and terrible INTs. The Bills didn't just get beaten they humiliated themselves! 

• Like (+1) 1

Super Bowl 28 was way worse.  Bad days in general happen and Super Bowl 27 was one for the Bills IMO.  I mean hey at least there was that Don Beebe moment of pride toward the end of the game.

Totally unraveling after Thurman's fumble in Super Bowl 28 was much worse.  That showed a complete lack of mental toughness.  Which was sort of a staple of Bills teams from that era.  

Edited by Another Fan
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Regarding the SBs, back then, the NFC was a notch up on the AFC.

Ain’t that the truth.  The NFC won, what was it, 13 straight Super Bowls from the early-to-mid-80s up until Elway finally won it with the Broncos in the ‘97 season.

5 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

The recent back and forth whether to move on from McDermott because he “can’t get us over the hump” takes me back to one game: Super Bowl XXVII against the Dallas Cowboys.  The Bills had an up and down 1992 season, failing to win the division and losing Kelly to injury last game of the season.  The playoffs, however, were memorable, starting with the Comeback against the Oilers, followed by impressive road wins against the Steelers with Reich again at QB, and the Dolphins, with Kelly back at QB.  

The Super Bowl, however, was a debacle and an embarrassment.  No question Cowboys had a very strong team and frankly a better team.  It shouldn’t have been a blowout.  It’s interesting to look at stats and play-by-play from the game.  Bills had more first downs and total yardage was relatively close.  Final score - 52 - 17!  Two key sequences. Down 14 - 7, Bills has second and goal from Dallas one.  Two runs and an interception followed.  Later, Bills down 21 - 7, Bills had first and goal inside the Dallas 5 and settled for a FG.  That was pretty much all she wrote.  The embarrassing part was that the Bills fumbled eight times and lost five and threw four interceptions, two each by Kelly and Reich.  Nine turnovers in the biggest game of the year!!!! 

It’s hard to imagine a less well prepared team going into a big game.  Levy was a good coach, not a great coach. It was clear after that game that he’d never lead the Bills to a SB win.  Do you fire a coach who has led you to three straight SB’s?  In hindsight, the answer is, yeah you probably do.  Blow it up and let your GM start the rebuild. Instead we fire the GM and keep the coach.

Does this give any insight to our present situation?  I think yes.  McDermott should be on the hot seat this year.  Super Bowl or bust.  If we don’t do in 2024, time to move on.

Jerry?

Jerry Jones??

I was at that game and yes, it was pretty devastating. But only an absolute moron would have said after it, "Time to fire Marv!"  And I am being very kind in my name calling as this is a family forum.

Sounds like you would run your NFL team like ol' Jerry, ordering the team to take the next step...

and creating a fiasco of a 'team', every man for himself, no one trusting anyone...

and all players, coaches, employees always looking over their shoulders.

Is that the kind of owner you would be?  Fan of ol' Jerry, I assume, as he makes it clear what he thinks of his players and coaches in almost every interview, whether he is outwardly (misconstrued as) positive or negative. It is all negative and undermines the foundation of his team.

I love you all, such a great team, so you better win it all now!--every man for himself!

Edited by Mister Defense
  • Haha (+1) 1

Yep, the only one I got to attend.

Bills started by blocking a Dallas punt, got the ball deep in Dallas territory, and scored a TD on the ensuing drive.

They actually were leading in that game, 7-0.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

The one where the Bills were up at halftime was the next year, the fourth SB loss.  The Bills were positioned to win but a crucial fumble early in the second half was returned by Dallas for a TD, and the Bills never got over that punch to the gut.  Interesting that the OP thought the Bills should have fired Levy after the third SB, when it was Levy who got them back to the game and in position to win.  

If there was a worse outcome for the Bills, it was the first SB they lost, when it was clear the players were hung over, unable to tackle.  And when the Giants DC, Bill Belichick, had his defense positioned to stop the pass, leaving Thurman Thomas ready to destroy them.  But Jim Kelly wanted to be the hero so instead of feeding Thurman, he kept trying to pass.  The Bills couldn't keep the ball on offense, and the hungover defenders couldn't stop the Giants.  THAT was embarrassing and disappointing.    THAT was the first year the Bills should have won the SB but the players did not respect their opportunity.  The second year the Bills really should have won the SB was just a couple of years ago, when a game lasted 13 seconds long enough for McDermott to get completely outcoached by his former boss.

• Like (+1) 1

I'd have to say the most embarrassing  day in Bills history was 04/27/2017 when the MAJORITY of the fan base acted like they free based and went nuclear when the Bills took the wrong Josh.

Edited by loyal2dagame
  • Haha (+1) 2

For me as a Buffalo Bills fan was the Bills Toronto Series and the reaction by our local politicians, business community sucking up to the Bills Ralph Wilson. Once that happened I realized it is never going to happen for Western New York economically. Some leaders willingly offering half the Bills schedule to Toronto. I knew then this Western New York areas leaders are clueless. You never give up what you already have that is a position of weakness which is what our leadership is in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Enough with McDermott on the hot seat garbage.  He's a winner and the team is in the playoffs every year.  The defense plays much better as a whole than the sum of its parts- there are no superstars on defense yet the unit played great even with all the injuries.  Reid got run out of Philly for losing 4 NFC championship games.  Look at him now!  

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

So you knew from a game where he was playing on a bad knee, that got re torn up 1.5 Quarters into the game he was overrated?   Stop trolling.

What? Trolling? It's an opinion. 

The Kelly years were good. K-Gun was great in the regular season, good enough to rule the AFC, that's it. 

Cincy tried to mimic it with the Sugar Huddle, the Oilers with Run & Shoot. Neither of their QBs pointed the finger at their team mates for coming up short.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.