I guess Tyler Dunne was spot on...McD is too controlling and paranoid to work with...

eball

15 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

No shame required. I think it’s a positive that you can admit it. 

When the Bills finally do win it all, they should build a statue in honor of those fans who didn't settle for less. We couldn't have done it without your commitment to excellence.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

When the Bills finally do win it all, they should build a statue in honor of those fans who didn't settle for less. We couldn't have done it without your commitment to excellence.

Not that it matters, but this is the nirvana I attained after our latest loss. Instead of being grumpy and letting my disappointment lead to toxicity, it was time to step back and finally admit there's not a goddman thing I can do about it... other than being upset and (potentially) getting into arguments with my fellow Bills brethren and sistren on the message board.

Whether I approve of McDermott or don't (and I couldn't agree more with @Logic's assessment of what always seems to happen against elite offenses), Terry Pegula doesn't know who the f I am and couldn't care less even if he did. He LOVES Sean and thus Sean will stay until something catastrophic happens. Just my take and how I'm dealing with situations I can't control.

I do enjoy the (non-hostile/personal) debate and most of your are doing a wonderful job.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Warcodered said:

It is interesting how Dunne just seemed to vanish when the team had got going on their run, but as soon as things end in tragic fashion whoosh here he is "Allow me to piss on the ashes."

I have no idea why some on here give a ***** what he says.

lol

19 hours ago, eball said:

...as evidenced by Brady and Babich sticking around and accepting promotions to OC and DC despite significant interest around the league.

/sarcasm off

How dare you go after this sleezeball, as a small handful of his followers are clearly on this board!?

He is their hero, the idiot who has zero journalistic integrity, who lets his hate guide his every word on the Bills.

18 hours ago, McBean said:

I’m just so happy we can look forward to Sean on the sidelines clapping next year to just get bounced in round 1 or 2. That’s if we even make it. Now we have big game Burrow coming back along with Harbaugh and Rodgers.

so COOL!

Oh no, we are doomed!!!!

Such a sharp, intelligent take, loaded with good information, specifics.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Gugny said:

I hope Sean enjoys France. 

You beat me to it again Gugs.  I was thinking of "McDummy makes films too?".

23 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

🎵I'm not Daboll🎶

🎶My name is Brady🎵

🎵Daboll left you🎶

🎶Coupla years ago🎵

Wasn't worth starting a new thread. 🤔

Dude!!  The Jessi Colter reference!!  NOYCE!!

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

Since McDermott arrived, 10 different coaches has made the SB, some multiple times, how is he more successful than 98% of coaches in the NFL, much less sports?  To this point, with Josh Allen as QB he has underachieved, only making the AFCCG once, resulting in a blowout. 

How much of that is on the QB?

On 1/30/2024 at 5:50 PM, 34-78-83 said:

With amazing sources like 'Lil Dirty, Doug Whaley and Quinton Spain, how could he have gone wrong? I mean its not like they were all butt hurt or anything, right?

And Russ Brandon; don't forget Russ Brandon.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 1/30/2024 at 5:51 PM, Logic said:

As someone who found a lot of what was in the Dunne piece to be illuminating and probably truthful...

Two things that have happened since have been kind of damning to that report:

The first was the Wink Martindale/Brian Daboll fallout. Whereas it looked like the rather public breakup of McDermott and Daboll was more on McDermott, seeing Daboll be unable to make it work with a second consecutive defensive mind makes one wonder. 

The second was the fact that, as the OP mentioned, two coveted young coordinators chose to stick around in Buffalo rather than go elsewhere, even though both garnered significant interest. Babich, in particular, was surprising, choosing to stick around under a defensive-minded head coach who may still continue to call plays rather than potentially spread his wings under an offensive minded guy.

Lastly, the way the team rallied around McDermott after the piece came out also sort of poked a bit of a hole in the "no one likes playing for this control freak" narrative. 

The more that time has gone on and the more that's happened, the less accurate Dunne's piece has looked. 

With all of that said, the Bills still lost in heartbreaking fashion in the Divisional round to the Kansas City Chiefs, and the major thesis of Dunne's piece was that McDermott tenses up in big moments and that the Bills need to move on from him to ever reach the Super Bowl, so.....he hasn't entirely been proven wrong thus far.

Playing Devil’s advocate.

Is Daboll wrong to hold the D coordinators to the same standard he holds himself?  Maybe it’s just over inflated opinions of under achieving coaches he has issue with.

Perhaps the young coaches figured they could ride the coat tails of Josh Allen to better jobs next season and they should take that over the unknown.

Maybe all the players watched what’s happened in the last and decided to show public support to the control freak so his ego wouldn’t be hurt and they wouldn’t be put on the bench like he has done to numerous players who didn’t do it the way he liked.

They choked again, maybe it’s proof Dune is right.

1 hour ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

How much of that is on the QB?

To get there or to lose the game after giving the D the lead?

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Playing Devil’s advocate.

Is Daboll wrong to hold the D coordinators to the same standard he holds himself?  Maybe it’s just over inflated opinions of under achieving coaches he has issue with.

Perhaps the young coaches figured they could ride the coat tails of Josh Allen to better jobs next season and they should take that over the unknown.

Maybe all the players watched what’s happened in the last and decided to show public support to the control freak so his ego wouldn’t be hurt and they wouldn’t be put on the bench like he has done to numerous players who didn’t do it the way he liked.

They choked again, maybe it’s proof Dune is right.

To get there or to lose the game after giving the D the lead?

Didn't get there this time around 

On 1/30/2024 at 4:51 PM, Logic said:

With all of that said, the Bills still lost in heartbreaking fashion in the Divisional round to the Kansas City Chiefs, and the major thesis of Dunne's piece was that McDermott tenses up in big moments and that the Bills need to move on from him to ever reach the Super Bowl, so.....he hasn't entirely been proven wrong thus far.

That doesnt change the fact he isn't a great coach when the going gets tough. He simply does, has, and always will fold in critical situations.

8 hours ago, technobot said:

Not that it matters, but this is the nirvana I attained after our latest loss. Instead of being grumpy and letting my disappointment lead to toxicity, it was time to step back and finally admit there's not a goddman thing I can do about it... other than being upset and (potentially) getting into arguments with my fellow Bills brethren and sistren on the message board.

Whether I approve of McDermott or don't (and I couldn't agree more with @Logic's assessment of what always seems to happen against elite offenses), Terry Pegula doesn't know who the f I am and couldn't care less even if he did. He LOVES Sean and thus Sean will stay until something catastrophic happens. Just my take and how I'm dealing with situations I can't control.

I do enjoy the (non-hostile/personal) debate and most of your are doing a wonderful job.

He obviously views Sean as a son.

I mean, nothing else to say.

No way you can watch every snap the past 3 seasons and tell yourself McClap is the right guy. Absolutely no freakin way.

• Eyeroll 1

9 hours ago, Logic said:

Like I said, I definitely agree that the defensive injuries played a huge part and were possibly/probably the biggest factor in the loss.

With that said, nothing the Bills defense has done over the past several seasons of playoff games makes me confident that the defense would've been gangbusters even if Bernard (and, heck, Matt Milano) were in the lineup.

Yes, things would PROBABLY have been better, but based on previous matchups against the Chiefs in the playoffs (or the Bengals, or whomever), why should I be particularly confident that things DEFINITELY would have been better, ya know?

My main gripe with McDermott at this point is that his defense is perennially top 5 in the regular season, but drops to below average in the playoffs against the elite opponents. If you're gonna roll with a defensive head coach, that's fine, but his defenses better damn well show up in the biggest games, and they all too often don't under McDermott. Even in past seasons when our defense WAS relatively healthy, they have gotten shredded by the Mahomes and Burrows of the world come playoff time. That has to stop.

A couple of thoughts...  

Do you think we would have beaten the Chiefs in the playoffs this year if Miller, White, Bernard, and Milano were all fully healthy.  I do.

And yep, our defense doesn't fare as well in the playoffs as in the regular season.  But is this due to poor coaching?  I mean, does McD suddenly become stupid?  Does his preparation suddenly become lackadaisical?   Does he idiotically make radical changes to his defensive scheme?  Does he go on a drug and alcohol binge during the playoffs?  Maybe.  Or, more likely, the team over-performs during the regular season because of McD's good coaching but then the lack of talent - exacerbated by injuries - gets exposed in the playoffs against quality competition. 

The way I look at it, there is no team so good that it enters a season as an unstoppable force with a 100% chance of winning the Super Bowl.  There's too much parity in the NFL...  too many injuries...  too much luck involved.  

There is a select group of teams that enter a season each with a 10% or so chance to win it all.  Thanks to Beane and McD, the Bills are one of those teams.  The dice just haven't landed in our favor - yet.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

23 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

A couple of thoughts...  

Do you think we would have beaten the Chiefs in the playoffs this year if Miller, White, Bernard, and Milano were all fully healthy.  I do.

And yep, our defense doesn't fare as well in the playoffs as in the regular season.  But is this due to poor coaching?  I mean, does McD suddenly become stupid?  Does his preparation suddenly become lackadaisical?   Does he idiotically make radical changes to his defensive scheme?  Does he go on a drug and alcohol binge during the playoffs?  Maybe.  Or, more likely, the team over-performs during the regular season because of McD's good coaching but then the lack of talent - exacerbated by injuries - gets exposed in the playoffs against quality competition. 

The way I look at it, there is no team so good that it enters a season as an unstoppable force with a 100% chance of winning the Super Bowl.  There's too much parity in the NFL...  too many injuries...  too much luck involved.  

There is a select group of teams that enter a season each with a 10% or so chance to win it all.  Thanks to Beane and McD, the Bills are one of those teams.  The dice just haven't landed in our favor - yet.  

In the regular season over the past four years, McDermott's defense has given up an average of 19.83 points per game.

In the four playoff losses over the past four years, McDermott's defense has given up an average of 33.5 points per game.

For frame of reference, the worst scoring defense in the league this year belonged to Washington, who gave up 30.5 points per game. So McDermott's defense is three points WORSE than the worst defense in the league this year in the Bills' recent playoff losses.

I could be mistaken, but I don't think the Bills defense was incredibly unhealthy in all four of those playoff losses. Obviously this year's missing players are well documented, last year we didn't have Von, the year before that we didn't have Tre. 

Either way, injuries or not, McDermott's defense is giving up two full touchdowns more per playoff loss than it does in the regular season, and that's a huge and unacceptable swing. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Logic said:

In the regular season over the past four years, McDermott's defense has given up an average of 19.83 points per game.

In the four playoff losses over the past four years, McDermott's defense has given up an average of 33.5 points per game.

For frame of reference, the worst scoring defense in the league this year belonged to Washington, who gave up 30.5 points per game. So McDermott's defense is three points WORSE than the worst defense in the league this year in the Bills' recent playoff losses.

I could be mistaken, but I don't think the Bills defense was incredibly unhealthy in all four of those playoff losses. Obviously this year's missing players are well documented, last year we didn't have Von, the year before that we didn't have Tre. 

Either way, injuries or not, McDermott's defense is giving up two full touchdowns more per playoff loss than it does in the regular season, and that's a huge and unacceptable swing.

If asked "do I think the Buffalo Bills can win a Championship with McDermott?" my answer would be "I don't know".

But stuff like this...c'mon, @Logic.  Logic should tell you that in the playoffs, you usually play a very good team, a team among the best teams in the league, and that is highly motivated because it's "win or go home".

Averaged over the season, we have games against good teams and not-so-good teams.

So it seems probable that any team with a playoff loss is going to give up more points than they average during the season. 

Just a quick example:

In their 3 playoff losses, the KC Chiefs gave up an average of 32 points per game.  So in their playoff losses, KC was 2 points WORSE than the worst defense in the league!  OH NOES!  In their 5 seasons since 2018, they gave up an average of 22 points per game.  That's two full scores more per playoff loss than they gave up in the regular season - a huge and unacceptable swing!

Again, I'm not taking a stand to defend McD, I'm just pointing out that this appears to me a relatively meaningless line of reasoning.  It seems normal to me that in a small number of playoff losses to very good teams (or they wouldn't be in the playoffs), a defense is likely to give up more points and more scores than it does averaged over entire seasons to both good and bad teams.

Oh, and I think if you look at our playoff loss last season and the year before, you will find far more missing playoffs than Von or Tre.  For example, in 2022 we were missing DaQuan Jones; Oliver and Phillips were playing in linebacker braces; our starting safeties were Poyer (playing hurt then replaced by Cam Lewis) and Jaquan Johnson platooning with Dean Marlowe.   At CB we had Tre' platooning with Kaiir Elam and Dane Jackson, because Christian Benford was out.

13 seconds aside from Tre we were pretty healthy on D I believe.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 2/1/2024 at 7:52 PM, Beck Water said:

If asked "do I think the Buffalo Bills can win a Championship with McDermott?" my answer would be "I don't know".

But stuff like this...c'mon, @Logic.  Logic should tell you that in the playoffs, you usually play a very good team, a team among the best teams in the league, and that is highly motivated because it's "win or go home".

Averaged over the season, we have games against good teams and not-so-good teams.

So it seems probable that any team with a playoff loss is going to give up more points than they average during the season. 

Just a quick example:

In their 3 playoff losses, the KC Chiefs gave up an average of 32 points per game.  So in their playoff losses, KC was 2 points WORSE than the worst defense in the league!  OH NOES!  In their 5 seasons since 2018, they gave up an average of 22 points per game.  That's two full scores more per playoff loss than they gave up in the regular season - a huge and unacceptable swing!

Again, I'm not taking a stand to defend McD, I'm just pointing out that this appears to me a relatively meaningless line of reasoning.  It seems normal to me that in a small number of playoff losses to very good teams (or they wouldn't be in the playoffs), a defense is likely to give up more points and more scores than it does averaged over entire seasons to both good and bad teams.

Oh, and I think if you look at our playoff loss last season and the year before, you will find far more missing playoffs than Von or Tre.  For example, in 2022 we were missing DaQuan Jones; Oliver and Phillips were playing in linebacker braces; our starting safeties were Poyer (playing hurt then replaced by Cam Lewis) and Jaquan Johnson platooning with Dean Marlowe.   At CB we had Tre' platooning with Kaiir Elam and Dane Jackson, because Christian Benford was out.

13 seconds aside from Tre we were pretty healthy on D I believe.

I'd also add that in 14 non-Bills playoff games since Mahomes became QB, KC has averaged 29.1 points per game. And that includes a 9-point Super Bowl game when they were missing both of their starting OTs (take out that game and they've averaged 31 points over 13 playoff games against teams other than the Bills). Maybe, just maybe, they're a really good playoff offense.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/30/2024 at 5:37 PM, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Unfortunately I think the standards with the owner and half the fanbase are so low, that I’m not even sure another massive postseason disappointment gets McD Cannes. 

Terry and a lot of fans feel that simply a Divisional Round exit with an elite QB is a huge accomplishment. It’s happened 3 years in a row and they want more of it. 

I think if it was somewhere else, this could be a good analysis of the situation by Brady. Here, I’m not so sure. I guess if the offense is solid he probably feels he could still get hired away. 

There is not a single fan that thinks a divisional round exit every year is a huge accomplishment. Lol. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.