Ben Johnson Staying in Detroit

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

If I was the hottest HC candidate in the league, I'd spend another year burnishing my resume with that Detroit offense rather than go to a team with no QB, too.

Guys like Johnson have the luxury of waiting for the perfect opportunity. No need to jump at the first jobs that come available, especially if one of them involves being employed by the Washington Commanders.

But he'd have the 2nd overall pick to get the QB and groom him.  Not to mention cover for several years as the team develops.  Oh and $83M in cap room.

I'm not surprised. I know some looked at the #2 pick, cap space and new ownership and thought that the Commanders job was an attractive proposition. But I think it is a very hard job. Their roster really sucks. They have one receiver and two defensive tackles, their best DB is a free agent and around that it's a mess.

Ben Johnson is the hottest coordinator around. Unless the Lions offense falls off a cliff he will be a popular interview next year too. Take a good job. Do not take a bad job. I get there are only 32 in the world and that creates a sense of urgency. But too many promising coaches over the years have jumped at a bad job, failed, and never got another shot. 

Not sure where it leaves Washington now

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I think next offseason there will be a lot more desirable openings. Dallas, Philly, KC if Reid retires, Buffalo if we miss the playoffs (or Pegula gets fed up with losing playoff games).

Probably waiting for a better situation to open up (I think Seattle is pretty good IMO though).

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, QB Bills said:

Thank jeebus.

He obviously wants to work with Josh Allen. That's our 2025 coach right there after mcdoormat blows another playoff game next season.

🤞

I don't doubt for a second this guy opted to stay put with the Lions because he simply felt that going to a team that didn't make the playoffs last year and has questions marks at QB wasn't in his best interest given the few teams left in the coaching market.

But at the same time, Johnson might want to check his ego because owners are going to remember how he passed on these teams and even if the Bills job opens up next year, is an unproven commodity really the best option with a team that has a top 5 NFL QB and will be expected to get to a superbowl since that would be the reason McDivisional is finally canned?

Moral of the story, still think the next Bills head (if there is one anytime soon) would be a retread over a first year unproven guy.

Terry if McDermott loses in the playoffs yet again without making the Super Bowl: We have the right coach in place, we've been knocking on the door, just need to find that last pieces or pieces to get over the hump

Terry if the Bills miss the playoffs: McDermott has done a ton of winning here, changed the culture, deserves a chance to make up for 1 bad year 

McDermott is as secure as any coach in the NFL. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

I went to the Commanders' board and there is a lot more to all of this. He told them this while the Commanders' owner and GM were on the plane en route to Detroit to interview him. This after last year essentially accepting the Panthers job and then deciding to stay in Detroit at the last second. This is not a good look for him. Albright is reporting that he is asking for $15 million per year.  FWIW, I feel for those fans. It reads like a drought-ear coaching search thread around here.

https://es.redskins.com/topic/453428-moving-towards-our-future-front-office-and-coaching-hires-all-the-way-to-the-water-boy-adam-peters-hired-as-gm/page/323/

34 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

So, your perfect dream involves the Bills NOT winning the Super Bowl next year. Got it.

Also, allow me to be the first one to pee in everyone's Cheerios for next year. Barring a 5 or 6 win season or the complete loss of the locker room, Sean McDermott isn't going anywhere in 2025. So which of those are you rooting for?

No, maybe I should have worded it differently.  My dream scenario was to have the option of hiring Johnson if things don’t end with a Super Bowl.  If you’re a fan of Ben Johnson than that should be your dream scenario too

7 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

I went to the Commanders' board and there is a lot more to all of this. He told them this while the Commanders' owner and GM were on the plane en route to Detroit to interview him. This after last year essentially accepting the Panthers job and then deciding to stay in Detroit at the last second. This is not a good look for him. Albright is reporting that he is asking for $15 million per year.  FWIW, I feel for those fans. It reads like a drought-ear coaching search thread around here.

https://es.redskins.com/topic/453428-moving-towards-our-future-front-office-and-coaching-hires-all-the-way-to-the-water-boy-adam-peters-hired-as-gm/page/323/

He has to be careful not to overplay his hand. 

Opportunity doesn't come along often.

• Like (+1) 1

He looked at the lack of QBs on those teams and made the right decision. I don’t care how great of a schemer an OC is, if you don’t have the right QB, odds are it won’t be pretty. 

46 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

Not quite Josh McDaniels level at Indy but he’s getting closer.  Definitely not a great look.  And there are no guarantees of anything.  The Lions may have stiffer competition next season and injuries are always around the corner. Could be tough to repeat. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, NewEra said:

No, maybe I should have worded it differently.  My dream scenario was to have the option of hiring Johnson if things don’t end with a Super Bowl.  If you’re a fan of Ben Johnson than that should be your dream scenario too

I'm a believer that as fans locking into any coach is pretty useless. Sure, he's having a nice run as an OC. But can he coach an entire team? What's his personal philosophy? Can he assemble a QUALITY staff. These are much more important than...ohhh shiny OC. And unfortunately, that's something we aren't going to know as we can't sit in on interviews.

So in short, I like Ben, just can't be sold on him.

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I'm a believer that as fans locking into any coach is pretty useless. Sure, he's having a nice run as an OC. But can he coach an entire team? What's his personal philosophy? Can he assemble a QUALITY staff. These are much more important than...ohhh shiny OC. And unfortunately, that's something we aren't going to know as we can't sit in on interviews.

So in short, I like Ben, just can't be sold on him.

That goes without saying.  Of course a first time HC is going to have question marks.  I’m not saying he’s a sure thing or that anyone should be sold on him.  The niners and a rams aren’t disappointed that they took chances on hot young OCs without any HC experience.  It’s not guaranteed but sometimes you have to take a chance.  

He’s my top candidate and it’s my best case scenario that he wasn’t hired as a HC elsewhere yet.    

They had a nice improvement year in 2022 but this season the Lions really exploded on the scene at 12-5.  

There's always great storylines in the NFL, but next season it will be really interesting to follow how Detroit handles being one of the NFC teams being hunted by everyone else.  

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Huge news for next offseason. I wonder if he decided he wants to wait for an opportunity with an established QB?

This MUST be it.

And it's a ballsy move. This is the second year in a row he has done this.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.