Browns hire Dorsey as OC

Process

15 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Boy, I understand what you’re saying, and this is all sounding like a job you give to an intern. Dorsey was a QB, but if that’s the reason for his hiring, he was an absolutely ***** one in the NFL.

Let’s say McDermott still calls the plays, and the Bills hire a DC of Dorsey’s stature. I would not be too happy about that. And if the hiring was described to me like it’s charity… Reminds me of Captain Gabe Davis. 

There are a lot of teams where the HC calls the offensive plays and they mostly have someone with the title OC. A bunch of those guys have gone on to be head coaches. Off the top of my head, this list includes:

1. Mike McDaniel
  2. Kevin O'Connell
  3. Brian Callahan

In fact, before he got the Miami job, Mike McDaniel and I had called the same number of plays in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Wins? Ok. I do think the team woke up with the firing. Similar to a hockey team firing a coach. But reality is the defense was the big improvement after the firing. 

I would love to be impressed by Brady but I just wasn’t. I think his passing offense will be much improved with a full offseason to put his touches on it.

The thing you should be impressed with is the fact he had a game plan against KC that worked perfectly. Control the ball, keeping Mahomes off the field against a banged up undermanned defense . We  dominated with 39 minutes and 78 plays against their 46. The run game with Josh and Cook ,underneath passes to the sidelines with limited exposure to TOs because our receivers were not getting separation against a great KC secondary. Finally, we were in a position to win but between a bad kicker and Dion getting pushed into Josh preventing him from completing a TD pass in the End Zone to Shakir, it didn’t happen, but it wasn’t because of Brady.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They’re different. I’m nervous about Brady because his passing offense was bad. 

I thought he coached his butt off at times…that KC game was a gem and the players pooched it with bad execution on a few of those big plays.  I don’t think I’ve really seen anyone really stump a spagnuolo led chiefs defense in the playoffs like that 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I believe he’s a better play caller than Brady. It’ll be interesting to to see how he does. Browns are talented.

3rd and less than 1...shotgun with josh allen....OVER AND OVER....that was my #1 issue

2 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

The thing you should be impressed with is the fact he had a game plan against KC that worked perfectly. Control the ball, keeping Mahomes off the field against a banged up undermanned defense . We  dominated with 39 minutes and 78 plays against their 46. The run game with Josh and Cook ,underneath passes to the sidelines with limited exposure to TOs because our receivers were not getting separation against a great KC secondary. Finally, we were in a position to win but between a bad kicker and Dion getting pushed into Josh preventing him from completing a TD pass in the End Zone to Shakir, it didn’t happen, but it wasn’t because of Brady.

They were just missing the pass plays off the run. He did call the deep shot off play action to Diggs but I just felt like there was more to be had in the air. Chiefs were selling out vs the run in the 2nd half and when you have Allen you should be able to take advantage of that.

Im not saying Dorsey would’ve. 

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They were just missing the pass plays off the run. He did call the deep shot off play action to Diggs but I just felt like there was more to be had in the air. Chiefs were selling out vs the run in the 2nd half and when you have Allen you should be able to take advantage of that.

Im not saying Dorsey would’ve. 

Diggs had a ball that he should’ve caught that would’ve changed the game. There wasn’t much other than that in the way of downfield separation. The game was there for the taking. 

2 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

So why’d they hire him? He took a job with zero mobility?

Why zero mobility? Just off the top of my head, Mike McDaniel in Miami and Zac Taylor in Cincinnati got HC jobs without having any real play calling duties prior. 

This makes sense to me.  It's kind of what I expected: Dorsey to be hired by an offensive HC.

If I was a defensive HC, I wouldn't trust Dorsey to run my offense. 

But someone like Stefanski will be good for Dorsey - running the offense through Dorsey while teaching and mentoring him.  And Dorsey isn't entirely devoid of talent or knowledge.  He'll add value to the Browns.  

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.