Playoff defense not just bad, next level awful

Mikie2times

I think we knew the problem after 13 seconds.

The Bills lack a true game changer on defense.

The Chiefs have one in Chris Jones........and despite the Bills dominating the Chiefs D for most of that game last Sunday Jones came up big in a big moment.    

It's why I wouldn't be entirely shocked if the Bills took a swing at signing Danielle Hunter in UFA if he gets there.    Despite their cap issues.

They could bring him in with a $2M cap hit and push his big hits down the road sorta' like they did with Von.

I'm not predicting it but if they are desperate to close the deal it wouldn't surprise me.

I don't see this defense taking a big step without their version of TJ Watt, Aaron Donald or Chris Jones.    Ed Oliver isn't going to be that guy, IMO.

• Like (+1) 3

51 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

First priority is obviously managing our cap situation. Then I think that if by the trade deadline we are in contention for the #1 seed, I think we have to go all out in trying to get it. Sell the farm and take the risk. It's unfortunately obvious at this point that Beane could have been significantly more aggressive this past year at the deadline and acquired at least another receiver, and while that wouldn't have resolved our defensive woes, it's entirely possible it would have been enough to overcome them. If we had grabbed DHop or maybe even Henry, I think it's fair to say that we probably wouldn't have been screaming about dudes dropping balls the entire second half of the season.

One thing I will say in Beane's defense on this is that every GM has these misses. Just look at the Chiefs under Brett Veach. They used a 1st round pick on a RB which is a cardinal sin of modern football, and worse that RB didn't even turn out to be a good player. This past offseason they also failed to sign Hopkins, instead choosing to give out a massive contract to a RT which again is a cardinal sin, and again the RT didn't turn out to be a good player. These two awful mistakes could have sunk the team. But the Chiefs happen to also have an elite coaching staff, so they have more than overcome it.

Or look at the Eagles. Most people consider Howie Roseman to be the best GM in football. But his team was undone late in the season and then in the playoffs because of poor coaching.

So I guess looking at the totality of Beane's work in recent years I think overall it is actually pretty good relative to other Super Bowl contenders. Coaching, especially in the playoffs, is where we are seeing a big discrepancy between us and the other contenders IMO.

• Like (+1) 7

1 hour ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Been told over and over on this forum that the offense has been at fault for playoff losses, including last week.  Guess those people probably won't respond in this thread.

It’s the offense fault only in the sense that McD playoff defenses are awful and the singular goal of the offense should be to do whatever it takes to score at least 30 pts.

20 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think we knew the problem after 13 seconds.

The Bills lack a true game changer on defense.

The Chiefs have one in Chris Jones........and despite the Bills dominating the Chiefs D for most of that game last Sunday Jones came up big in a big moment.    

It's why I wouldn't be entirely shocked if the Bills took a swing at signing Danielle Hunter in UFA if he gets there.    Despite their cap issues.

They could bring him in with a $2M cap hit and push his big hits down the road sorta' like they did with Von.

I'm not predicting it but if they are desperate to close the deal it wouldn't surprise me.

I don't see this defense taking a big step without their version of TJ Watt, Aaron Donald or Chris Jones.    Ed Oliver isn't going to be that guy, IMO.

Is Hunter that guy?

I know there’s plenty of excuses for the ineptitude we displayed against the Chiefs.(injuries, short turnaround and Mahomes) Sean, however with “next man up “ and no excuses mentality, didn’t distinguish himself as a DC. worth going forward with. He couldn’t come close to Mahomes with a 4 man rush and stubbornly stayed with it. When he brought pressure in the 2nd half, there were wide open receivers and quick scores as evidenced by the amount of plays they ran. His defense allowed runners to embarrass us even though we knew they would be run heavy. For anyone to think that our loss was anything but on that defense is silly. Sean is a good defensive coach but his weakness is overrating his personnel and wishing and hoping divine intervention will make everything ok.

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BBFL said:

I think the majority of people claim the offense is at fault because we know what they are capable of and have underperformed. No one is relying on the defense to win the game. Big difference. 

It’s been a consistent theme of guys not showing up except Josh…

🤷‍♂️

Despite the resources - both in terms of draft capital and free agent money - that have been sunk into the defense, and the statistical success of the defense in the regular season?

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

I mean, did we expect to beat the Bengals with 10 points?

By the time the offense had their second possession of the game, the team was down 0-14.  Those 2 TD drives scored by the Bengals were shockingly easy - I believe only one 3rd down was converted by the Bengals.

And each of the two (lol) times that the offense did score, did the defense hold the Bengals and give the offense the ball back?  No - the Bengals scored on both of those succeeding possessions

McD has been a fraud since the Houston collapse.

His D played great against the Ravens.

Other than that he has been totally outclassed.

Beane needs to exert control this offseason and prioritize the WR group and the DL. He fixed the oline last year and the RB group will be fine whoever backs up Cook. TE group is great. Now just go get a WR or two to help Diggs and Shakir. 

Then get younger at edge. 

He needs to ***** can these special teams players. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, RiotAct said:

I feel a lot better after watching how Baltimore fared against the Chiefs in the first half.

Ravens defense in this game is actually a perfect example of what this thread is about...

We gave up 8.5 yards per play to the Chiefs last week. Their offense averaged 5.5 YPP in the regular season. So we gave up a full 3 yards per play more than their average...

As of 6:50 remaining in the 4th quarter (before the game ended on a dumb Lamar Jackson INT) the Ravens have given up 4.4 YPP. So they gave up 1.1 yards per play LESS than the Chiefs average...

Ravens defense played amazing. It wasn't pretty early on but they made adjustments about halfway through the 2nd quarter and never let up from there.

I'm actually angry watching Lamar and the Ravens offense waste a great defensive performance. If our defense had played this well last week we would have beaten the Chiefs by 10 points.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Ravens defense in this game is actually a perfect example of what this thread is about...

We gave up 8.5 yards per play to the Chiefs last week. They averaged 5.5 YPP in the regular season.

As of 6:50 remaining in the 4th quarter (before the game ended on a dumb Lamar Jackson INT) the Ravens have given up 4.4 YPP...

Ravens defense played amazing. It wasn't pretty early on but they made adjustments about halfway through the 2nd quarter and never let up from there.

I'm actually angry watching Lamar and the Ravens offense waste a great defensive performance. If our defense had played this well last week we would have beaten the Chiefs by 10 points.

yeah I spoke too soon, the Ravens D has been great in the 2nd half.  Offense letting them down.

• Like (+1) 2

All year the book on the Chiefs was score more than 20 points and you win the game. The Ravens game ends up being the same script.

The Bills end the season being the ONLY team all year to score more than 20 on the Chiefs and lose the game. Another frustrating end to the season caused solely by our defense. And I see no path to fixing it next year. We're stuck in neutral. ****

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1
  • Dislike 1

4 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

This is reason alone to $h1t can your defensive HC.  

The guy who has now lost us TWO chances at the Superbowl, this season being the second.

A team takes on the persona of its leaders….. nervous in the service defensively when on the biggest stages.

• Thank you (+1) 1

The coach is soft and so is his D

1 hour ago, Fetou said:

What we do against the Bengals can't even be called a defense.

I’m waiting for the next time we play them, see if MCD can mix it up in the first quarter. Lol

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.