2024 WR Draft Class

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

There is a lot of WR talent in this draft..........but if you want(and I quote you) "the best player" you better trade up because you are looking at WR 6-8 at pick #28.  

I already addressed the speed issue.  The Bills sorely lack elite speed and a deep threat but even if you have that in house those are traits you can stack.   That's not what McConkey is.   He isn't going to be a 20 yards per reception threat like DeSean Jackson was entering the NFL.   If the draft dropped off at WR after McConkey and if upcoming drafts looked bereft of WR talent then maybe you don't worry about the redundancy of short-intermediate receivers but that's not the case.    

I want traits that can elevate the offense to another level.   Maybe McConkey turns out to be that guy to replace Diggs but it's not like the cupboard is bare at 6' short-intermediate WR after he's off the board.   And next year's draft will be excellent at WR.   And the following.   And then the 2026 draft will be off the chain at WR.   There are a lot of them coming.   

The board may melt down if Beane takes, oh I don't know, what he believes is a true #1 lock down cb at 28 if his round 1 receivers are all gone. And if he does, it's because there's so much talent beyond the top 8-10 receivers.

Want to win in this game? Want Josh to set the NFL on fire?
Then, we need a monster WR who wins contested catches in this draft. I would go Rome. 

We learned a lot from the Sammy Watkins episode, and also from the Julio Jones trade up..

It’s always a flip of a coin, but that’s why Beane makes the big bucks and at this point, we have to gamble. 

Edited by Brian Higgins hair

2 hours ago, BBFL said:

Anyone got an opinion on Jerrod Means (Pitt)?

Goes by Bub so that’s a positive right there. From the very little amount I can find of him on YouTube…day 3 X receiver. Not quick in the short and intermediate but once he picks up speed he can outrace corners deep so his forty time and below average 10 yard split makes sense on tape. Was not done many favors by his QB this year.

See him as a player that if you miss out on the first two tiers of X receivers early, you can target late as someone who has the measurables to develop into that role for you.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Love to hear how being tall is an advantage come December & January?

In Buffalo specifically windy inclement weather makes the precision passing game more difficult. Larger big bodied receivers tend to in my opinion not need that type of rhythm timing precision passing game to excel, not that they can't, but it just sometimes comes down to the bigger boy wins.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Here’s a question.

Rome Odunze trade up or 2 WRs in the first 2 rounds?

I would absolutely not trade up for Odunze. It would cost next year's 1st & more picks, and I don't think he's gonna be any better than the guys we could get at #28. Odunze gives me Quentin Johnson vibes, big fast target who was dominant in college because he was left wide open all the time but doesn't have great separation skills.

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Here’s a question.

Rome Odunze trade up or 2 WRs in the first 2 rounds?

Odunze trade up isn't happening. Far too much capital to get where he'll be. Beane's not someone who trades away next year picks on Draft Day. He's the kind of guy who collects them. I see no scenario where he sees Odunze worthy of 2 1st's versus the kind of guy we can get for less than half of the price. We didn't even bother to talk to MHJ, Nabers, or Odunze at the Combine. If it was even so much of a thought that we might, we would have.

2 in the first 2 Rounds? I see that as pretty unlikely too. Unless we really start getting to work in FA to get another legit Starting Safety, two solid Rotational DT's (one 3T, one 1T), and another solid DE (essentially we're just running to back minus Floyd and Shaq). Just too many holes right now to not address any other position until the end of Round 4, when you're in the true developmental prospect portion of the Draft.

The best case scenario I see for us? Brian Thomas slides a little bit and we make a trade up into the early 20's and land him. Or we just move a couple slots to secure an AD Mitchell type. Then we double down in Round 4 with the best still available. And to ensure we're not putting all our eggs into the Rookie WR basket, we play the vet WR market patiently and land a guy at a decent price that we're comfortable starting in the event neither Rookie is a splash right out of the gate (as most Rookie WR's aren't) and can at least provide more as an Outside WR3.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

8 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Odunze trade up isn't happening. Far too much capital to get where he'll be. Beane's not someone who trades away next year picks on Draft Day. He's the kind of guy who collects them. I see no scenario where he sees Odunze worthy of 2 1st's versus the kind of guy we can get for less than half of the price. We didn't even bother to talk to MHJ, Nabers, or Odunze at the Combine. If it was even so much of a thought that we might, we would have.

2 in the first 2 Rounds? I see that as pretty unlikely too. Unless we really start getting to work in FA to get another legit Starting Safety, two solid Rotational DT's (one 3T, one 1T), and another solid DE (essentially we're just running to back minus Floyd and Shaq). Just too many holes right now to not address any other position until the end of Round 4, when you're in the true developmental prospect portion of the Draft.

The best case scenario I see for us? Brian Thomas slides a little bit and we make a trade up into the early 20's and land him. Or we just move a couple slots to secure an AD Mitchell type. Then we double down in Round 4 with the best still available. And to ensure we're not putting all our eggs into the WR basket, we play the vet WR market patiently and land a guy at a decent price that we're comfortable starting in the event neither Rookie is a splash right out of the gate (as most Rookie WR's aren't) and can at least provide more as an Outside WR3.

We just signed Curtis Samuel. I think Beane is going to concentrate on getting his WR in round 1. Trade up for Thomas, small jump for Mitchell, or wait on Legette, though you probably could trade back and still get Legette.

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Agree 1

Just now, Dr. Who said:

We just signed Curtis Samuel. I think Beane is going to concentrate on getting his WR in the round 1. Trade up for Thomas, small jump for Mitchell, or wait on Legette, though you probably could trade back and still get Legette.

Just saw it. That's awesome!

• Agree 1

Troy Franklin (WR4 imo) has a private workout with the Bills, per Tony Pauline:

There were plenty of storylines from Oregon pro day, which was televised earlier this week, and receiver Troy Franklin was one of the better ones. As I posted on Twitter, Franklin was sick during the Combine and weighed in at eight pounds heavier (176 versus 183) on pro day. He then looked exceptional catching the ball in position drills and impressed a lot of scouts.

The Indianapolis Colts, New York Jets and New England Patriots met with Franklin the day before the workout. The receiver presently has four official 30 visits as well as a private workout scheduled with the Buffalo Bills. Franklin is knocking on the door of round one.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/news-insider-notes-2024-ucla-wisconsin-oregon-pro-day-braelon-allen-missing-troy-franklin-shines

3 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Worthy will be a dangerous weapon, but at 165lbs he is too small for a 1st round pick, in my opinion.

Not sure if true, but some including I think cover1 have speculated he was 165 lbs just so he could try to break the record 40 yard dash time and will likely play closer to 175 lbs.