2024 WR Draft Class

6 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I am not pounding the table to pick defense in round 1, but at present, the offense needs 1 starter and 1 depth receiver and maybe bakups at RB and IOL if a good player is there at one of their picks.  I think the D needs starting DT, pass rushing DE, backup DT, starting S and probably a depth CB.  

I think the defensive needs are quite a bit greater than the needs of the offense.  Now, if there is a WR there at 28 that they really like, I won’t be upset at all if they draft him.

I know FA is yet to play out, but if we listen to Beane’s own words, he isn’t shopping at the high or even middle tiers due to cap restrictions.  Maybe they will sign some players to fill those holes on D before the draft - if so great!  I am just not expecting that to be the case and if you need defenders to play meaningful time this year it seems like you at least need to consider getting one early and settle for a lower tier, but still good WR prospect.

Again, not arguing no WR in round 1, rather highlighting that I think many are not realizing how many true holes there are on D.

Beane does not like to have holes on the roster. He likes depth, and has been good at fielding a roster that can absorb hits. I think we need to risk some depth, and go after more playmakers. That's what wins in the playoffs, and where we have been lacking. I think they will sign a veteran at DT, S, and DE. I would try and get 2 DT in the draft. I would take Sweat in the second if available. There are a number of 3rd and 4th round fellas that would be worth a look. I suspect Beane will find a way to trade up into the third. I've already said numerous times, but I don't like the edge players in this draft. Latu, yes, but he'll be gone before #28. I don't think you're finding the answer in the draft, and I would not expend a high pick on one.

The plethora of safety options in free agency ought to tell you that the position is a buyer's market. Mid-round, I really like Tykee Smith, and there are others who should be available. I think Javon Bullard would be great, but you'd have to grab him earlier than I believe we should draft a S.

I personally think they need to keep stocking Oline. Folks are kind of forgetting about that. You can get a serviceable day 3 RB. WR early, and another early day 3 is where I think they need to concentrate.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Legette ran a 4.39 so he's a hair slower than Metcalf. As things stands to me he's a guy if like here as compliments what we have an as upside to be a alpha #1 WR we'll need in 2-3 years as Diggs moves on.

I don’t see him as a #1 but if we take him round 1 I’ll trust the FO. He’s just not my top choice. I believe there are at least 8 better options. But the guy is going to work hard and Josh is going to like that, I just question his nuance for route running. I want a WR that can with with separation for Josh, not just chuck it up 50/50 balls 

Edited by NeverOutNick
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Legette ran a 4.39 so he's a hair slower than Metcalf. As things stands to me he's a guy if like here as compliments what we have an as upside to be a alpha #1 WR we'll need in 2-3 years as Diggs moves on.

I agree but sad part is the draft doesn't have an DLineman to me pop out as instant starters. Safety is rarely a 1st Round pick and nobody grades out as one unless we take a flier on that kid out of Iowa.

I agree - at DE, I think they would have to think hard about Latu and consider Chop Robinson- after that no thanks until at least 60.  The top 2 DTs and several of the next tier are a little too similar to Oliver and playing two smaller DTs would expose Terrel Bernard’s smaller size.  Agree, not big DT worth 28.  Also agree that S not worth the pick over WR.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

I don’t see him as a #1 but if we take him round 1 I’ll trust the FO. He’s just not my top choice. I believe there are at least 8 better options. But the guy is going to work hard and Josh is going to like that, I just question his nuance for route running. I was a WR that can with with separation for Josh, not just Chuck it up 50/50 balls 

The thing with Legette is he builds his speed and has some YAC ability. Toss in the plays to his size. I compared him to Moulds and like Moulds he might take a few years to develop in the NFL. I do have some reservations on his short area quickness to get open yet if he had everything we'd want he likely not be there at #28.

10 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I agree - at DE, I think they would have to think hard about Latu and consider Chop Robinson- after that no thanks until at least 60.  The top 2 DTs and several of the next tier are a little too similar to Oliver and playing two smaller DTs would expose Terrel Bernard’s smaller size.  Agree, not big DT worth 28.  Also agree that S not worth the pick over WR.

I think everyone knows I want WR again and again in this draft. You couldn’t draft too many for my liking with how talented this crop is but Latu is the one D lineman I’d be on board drafting if he fell to 28. Just hope the next 3 picks are WRs lol…then some more D and o line depth. Who cares about safety pickup one of the free agent stragglers after the draft. It’s one of the few positions I trust McD to coach up and be fine 

Edited by NeverOutNick

4 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Beane does not like to have holes on the roster. He likes depth, and has been good at fielding a roster that can absorb hits. I think we need to risk some depth, and go after more playmakers. That's what wins in the playoffs, and where we have been lacking. I think they will sign a veteran at DT, S, and DE. I would try and get 2 DT in the draft. I would take Sweat in the second if available. There are a number of 3rd and 4th round fellas that would be worth a look. I suspect Beane will find a way to trade up into the third. I've already said numerous times, but I don't like the edge players in this draft. Latu, yes, but he'll be gone before #28. I don't think you're finding the answer in the draft, and I would not expend a high pick on one.

The plethora of safety options in free agency ought to tell you that the position is a buyer's market. Mid-round, I really like Tykee Smith, and there are others who should be available. I think Javon Bullard would be great, but you'd have to grab him earlier than I believe we should draft a S.

I personally think they need to keep stocking Oline. Folks are kind of forgetting about that. You can get a serviceable day 3 RB. WR early, and another early day 3 is where I think they need to concentrate.

I don’t know that Beane will have the cap to do what you’re suggesting in FA, but I hope so.  I agree on S.

you did talk some about the mid-rounds, but right now the Bills have to wait 69 picks after 60 for their next pick.  3rd and up to mid4th are the meat of the mid-rounds.  Not to say they can’t get lucky and find good players later (ex: Shakir, Poyer, Diggs, others), but counting on finding good ones there is not a sound strategy.

In the end, I see no way that they can fill all of the holes they have this year unless they have some magic in FA.  Maybe the best approach then is to load up the offense and expect to give up 28 a game on D.  

5 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

If it’s between those two DEs, you’d hope they choose Latu. Though Latu honestly reminds me of a more atheltic AJE who was successful the finals two years before declaring. 

This draft is going to be what they value more. There’s a top end talent at DLine and WR, after that it’s a plethora of guys who could be special. 

This draft could go so many ways. Pretty exciting. 

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

The thing with Legette is he builds his speed and has some YAC ability. Toss in the plays to his size. I compared him to Moulds and like Moulds he might take a few years to develop in the NFL. I do have some reservations on his short area quickness to get open yet if he had everything we'd want he likely not be there at #28.

That’s how I feel about Mitchell. If he played hard like Legette did every snap, AD would be a top 10 pick. I’m betting on him playing hard with Josh Allen as his QB because the talent is undeniable 

Just now, NeverOutNick said:

That’s how I feel about Mitchell. If he played hard like Legette did every snap, AD would be a top 10 pick. I’m betting on him playing hard with Josh Allen as his QB because the talent is undeniable 

Brian Thomas, Mitchell and Legette are the top WR on my board that love in Buffalo. I'm also going to keep pounding a drum on Cornelius Johnson as a kid that is going to make people wonder why he fell to Round 4 in a few years. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I don’t know that Beane will have the cap to do what you’re suggesting in FA, but I hope so.  I agree on S.

you did talk some about the mid-rounds, but right now the Bills have to wait 69 picks after 60 for their next pick.  3rd and up to mid4th are the meat of the mid-rounds.  Not to say they can’t get lucky and find good players later (ex: Shakir, Poyer, Diggs, others), but counting on finding good ones there is not a sound strategy.

In the end, I see no way that they can fill all of the holes they have this year unless they have some magic in FA.  Maybe the best approach then is to load up the offense and expect to give up 28 a game on D.  

He should be able to find enough cap space to bring in a DT, maybe resign Epenesa, and pluck one of the veteran safeties available. It doesn't seem an exorbitant ask to me. Beane will find a way to get a third. I can't believe he will be content with one pick on day 2. 

16 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Brian Thomas, Mitchell and Legette are the top WR on my board that love in Buffalo. I'm also going to keep pounding a drum on Cornelius Johnson as a kid that is going to make people wonder why he fell to Round 4 in a few years. 

Not the Michigan WR I’d want. Much rather have Roman Wilson round 2 and/or Luke McCaffrey round 5. Johnson is a talent that never lived up to the hype at Michigan but then again you could be onto something because Collins came from Michigan where he never did much and now he’s awesome. I would definitely be more on board taking Johnson in the 4th or 5th round than I was about Shorter last year 🤮 …Honestly if we came out of the first two rounds getting Latu round 1 and Tez Walker round 2 I’d very happy. Then fill up the back end with O and D lineman and a couple more stabs at WR… Even though in this scenario McD wins by getting his d lineman early lol

1 minute ago, Solomon Grundy said:

4.3 v 4.39🤷

Ya I get it’s not that big of a deal honestly I don’t dislike Legette. I’d be happy with him on the bills. He’s physical, he’s built like DK and AJ brown I just can’t get over him not being able to get separation. He’s so fast and strong but his route running is suspect and it’s a lot of contested catches. I just want our new #1 WR to be the guy that gets open right away for Josh so he doesn’t have to Superman it so often. I don’t see that guy being Legette. Hope I’m wrong if he’s who we take as our future #1. 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Well the way FA has gone has me shifted a bit on my early round expectations. With a lot of decent vets no longer available, I am leaning towards hoping to see two early round WRs

Hopefully more go to teams above us in big roles. 

With Davis going to Jacksonville and especially if they re-sign Ridley, that's one spot that everyone had penciled in at WR in Round 1 taken off the board.

With the Giants officially moving on from Daniel Jones, that pretty much guarantees they're going QB as opposed to the assumed landing spot for Malik Nabers.

Keep it coming boys!

4 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Everytime I see something about Legette, I be like

Schitts Creek Yes GIF by CBC

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Hopefully more go to teams above us in big roles. 

With Davis going to Jacksonville and especially if they re-sign Ridley, that's one spot that everyone had penciled in at WR in Round 1 taken off the board.

With the Giants officially moving on from Daniel Jones, that pretty much guarantees they're going QB as opposed to the assumed landing spot for Malik Nabers.

Keep it coming boys!

Everytime I see something about Legette, I be like

Schitts Creek Yes GIF by CBC

wasn’t the Jones report false?  & yes on Legette.

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

According to DCOranges spreadsheet Anthony Gould actually has the highest YPRR vs man in this years draft class. But Legette is second and weighs almost 50 pounds more than Gould. He was very good this year, had a nice pro day today too from reports.