2024 WR Draft Class

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Roman Wilson is the Bills guy at WR.

An athletic freak. Instead of listing his attributes, it is his weaknesses that make him a poor fit imo.

A list of his weaknesses:

Limited physical frame may restrict him to slot receiver roles, potentially struggling against physical cornerbacks.

Below-average yards after catch ability, lacking the power to break tackles.

Needs to refine footwork and route selling to enhance deception and effectiveness against savvy defenders.

Concerns over durability, with a history of injuries potentially impacting long-term availability.

Below an average blocker, limiting his versatility in the run game.

The Bills have plenty of guys that can play the slot already. I don't think he fits what they need.

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

An athletic freak. Instead of listing his attributes, it is his weaknesses that make him a poor fit imo.

A list of his weaknesses:

Limited physical frame may restrict him to slot receiver roles, potentially struggling against physical cornerbacks.

Below-average yards after catch ability, lacking the power to break tackles.

Needs to refine footwork and route selling to enhance deception and effectiveness against savvy defenders.

Concerns over durability, with a history of injuries potentially impacting long-term availability.

Below an average blocker, limiting his versatility in the run game.

The Bills have plenty of guys that can play the slot already. I don't think he fits what they need.

I just felt like saying another name.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, gonzo1105 said:

Guys that Beane described lean towards a McConkey, Worthy or Roman Wilson. 

All 3 of those guys are physically limited for an outside wr and the Bills have plenty of guys for the slot. I doubt any of them will be very successful out wide.

If Beane takes one of them at #28, he blew it imo.

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

Its opinions yes as you say,,, around something he said which is  vague and thus can be interpreted in a lot of ways … particularly if you want to give greater weighting on one thing he said over another …

I find it’s a kinda pointless exercise to speculate on anyway … it’s going to all depend on who is available at 28  … 

I know you don’t see it .. but I’m starting to think he is going to go D line at 28 ..and take a WR in the second … probably trading up from 60

This is subject to Thomas Jr being gone …

That's fair. I just think reading it to clearly mean guys who lean Slot like Wilson for example are now *specifically* the target is just as narrow of a way of looking at things and I personally don't agree with that assertion.

As for the D-Line at 28 idea - I think it's very possible. If someone like Byron Murphy and Johnny Newton at DT or Laiatu Latu at DE are available, they're very likely the pick. The thing is, odds are that like Thomas, none of them are likely to be available at 28. And outside of them, there isn't an option worth taking at 28.

If they do manage to get one of those 3, I wouldn't hate it. They had better make sure though that they can get up from 60 if they do for a WR. As we'd be very lucky to even get Ja'Lynn Polk at that point. The position is deep, but there's going to be a big time drop between 28 and 60.

If we went DL at 28 and then didn't move up from 60 and missed out on the Top 11 WR's - that I WOULD hate.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The problem with not watching games, only highlights, is that a guy like Keon Coleman shines in highlights. You don’t see his lack of separation. He’s not in my top 10 (and maybe not top 15) targets for the Bills for that reason.

Listening to Beane talk about receivers, it sounded like Ladd McConkey to me. 

I mention this somewhere else, but I listen to a lot of the podcasts with the film and scout guys. Daniel Jeremiah, Mel Kiper, Nate Tice, Dane Brugler... etc.

They stress that when scouting a prospect you really value the highs.

Coleman's highs look pretty darn good. And I really think it's what he does on punt returns more than anything that convinces me to that the skepticism of his athleticism and potential is overblown.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I mention this somewhere else, but I listen to a lot of the podcasts with the film and scout guys. Daniel Jeremiah, Mel Kiper, Nate Tice, Dane Brugler... etc.

They stress that when scouting a prospect you really value the highs.

Coleman's highs look pretty darn good. And I really think it's what he does on punt returns more than anything that convinces me to that the skepticism of his athleticism and potential is overblown.

I think that athletic upside is there despite testing poorly. It’s the separation that shouldn’t be overlooked. With the exception of Nico Collins, guys that couldn’t separate in college, struggled mightily in the pros. Coleman has been good on contested catches because he didn’t create space. He made them contested. I don’t have any interest in a 4.6 guy that can’t separate. If you want a big target, take a shot on Legette and his freak athleticism. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The break away speed in the legette highlights has me excited. He has a lot of untapped potential. I think these are the players you have to swing for in the late first. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

One of the things I always love about stuff like this, is much like the “We’re going to take best available regardless of need” line, you can pretty much twist this to fit which ever prospect you favor.

Smart and versatile? Even guys like Coleman that some may view as not versatile provides value as a run blocker, punt returner, and lined up both out wide and in the slot a lot in college. Is that not versatile?

Does their skillset offset players currently on the roster? With the exception of that big bodied perimeter receiver, we have everything else covered at this point (maybe not a vertical threat if you think Diggs is toast in that regard).

Hands and YAC ability? Worthy dropped a lot of passes, but maybe it was just a broken hand. Javon Baker drops a lot of passes but then he makes some incredible catches. Adonai Mitchell basically has zero drops but he doesn’t fight for the ball particularly well in the air. Adonai’s YAC numbers were terrible but with his athleticism, why can’t he be a YAC guy?

Ultimately Beane will take whomever and be able to sell them as a fit for what they were looking for. 

I think the one that might be most difficult to fit into that criteria is the one I want most: Brian Thomas. Love him as a prospect but I don’t think you can really make a good faith argument that he’s versatile, at least not right now. 

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, Desert Bills Fan said:

With Franklin coming for a visit, I thought the Bills were high on him…but now I think with him testing poorly, they want to see what is there (or not). So I liked the possibility of him as a pick.

lately have been more intrigued by Legette!

Legette's been my target since the combine. I also like Thomas and Mitchell but feel they'll both be gone by 28. That said if a guy like Darius Robinson fell to us I might look for a WR in Round 2 with Tez Walker one of my likes. 

57 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

One of the things I always love about stuff like this, is much like the “We’re going to take best available regardless of need” line, you can pretty much twist this to fit which ever prospect you favor.

Smart and versatile? Even guys like Coleman that some may view as not versatile provides value as a run blocker, punt returner, and lined up both out wide and in the slot a lot in college. Is that not versatile?

Does their skillset offset players currently on the roster? With the exception of that big bodied perimeter receiver, we have everything else covered at this point (maybe not a vertical threat if you think Diggs is toast in that regard).

Hands and YAC ability? Worthy dropped a lot of passes, but maybe it was just a broken hand. Javon Baker drops a lot of passes but then he makes some incredible catches. Adonai Mitchell basically has zero drops but he doesn’t fight for the ball particularly well in the air. Adonai’s YAC numbers were terrible but with his athleticism, why can’t he be a YAC guy?

Ultimately Beane will take whomever and be able to sell them as a fit for what they were looking for. 

I think the one that might be most difficult to fit into that criteria is the one I want most: Brian Thomas. Love him as a prospect but I don’t think you can really make a good faith argument that he’s versatile, at least not right now. 

From NFL.com draft profile Xavier Legette

*Makes full use of his size and play strength in one-on-one battles.

*Owns his space and defender’s space when catch is contested.

*Magnificent timing and extension to snare throws up the ladder.

*Uses subtle hand fighting to create late landing space for the throw.

*Powerful hands create added catch security with or without contact.

*Sneaky burst gear propels vertical separation and run-after-catch speed.

*Capable combatant when asked to do his part as a blocker.

Showed that he can be good kick off returner.

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Desert Bills Fan said:

With Franklin coming for a visit, I thought the Bills were high on him…but now I think with him testing poorly, they want to see what is there (or not). So I liked the possibility of him as a pick.

lately have been more intrigued by Legette!

It wasn’t that he tested poorly in the 40 or vertical, he just looked really shaky running drills- gauntlet and running patterns.  I understand he said he was sick then, so maybe that’s all it was, but his thin frame also gives me pause.  I think he’s a good step down from Mitchell and Thomas.  

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

I loved Legettes 2023 film but there are major concerns ….. please read the negatives .

(Grabbed this profile breakdown)

Xavier Legette Prospect Analytical Profile

Measurements
Height: 6-1
Weight: 221

Positives:
Surprise, the first positive noted for a prospect is his athleticism. Not to take away from Legette as he does have some insane athletic measurables. Legette scored a 9.89 RAS, which surprisingly only ranks 6th in this year's WR class. Legette ran a 4.39 at 221lb with a 40" vertical and 10’ 6’’ broad jump, all of which are elite in their respective measurements.

Legette is as physical as it gets and is able to use his size/athleticism to his advantage.

Legette's physicality works particularly well against man coverage where Legette had a 2.28 career YPRR and a PFF Grade of 85.6 vs Man in 2023.

Legette did not get a lot of playing time prior to 2023, but in his first full year as a starter, he put up some impressive numbers. In 2023, Legette had a YPRR of over 3.00 and a PFF grade of 82.5.

Legette's on-paper stats in 2023 were impressive - 1,255 receiving yards in only 12 games with 7 touchdowns and an insane yards/rec of 17.7.

Despite his size, Legette played a fair amount of snaps in the slot throughout his career, showing positional versatility. Legette played 25.6% of his career snaps in the slot and had an impressive 443 receiving yards in the slot in 2023, making up for 35% of his production. With his raw skills as a receiver, but insane athleticism and physicality, Legette's ideal role may be as a big-slot in the NFL.

Legette also showed the ability to be a plus deep threat in 2023. 44% of Legette's 2023 production came on deep yards and 64% of his career receiving yards were air yards.

Negatives:
Unfortunately, Legette does have a long list of negatives and red flags in his analytical profile. Starting with Legette having an extremely concerning 5th-year breakout.

Legette is already 23 years old, months before getting drafted. Legette also had a late, late breakout age of 22.

I did previously mention 2023 being Legette first full year as a starter. However, that wasn't because of injury or really a lack of playing time. Prior to 2023, Legette played in 41 games and ran almost 600 routes in 4 years with very little production.

Regardless of the reasoning, his late breakout is extremely concerning for a prospect and poses the question of whether or not Legette's 2023 production was heavily skewed due to being a literal man amongst boys.

Legette has a relatively low career QBR when targeted where he ranks 30th in this year's class.

Legette has an atrocious career YPRR of 1.55. There are 35 prospects in my predictive draft model. Legette ranks dead last in career YPRR by a considerable margin. The prospect with the 2nd to last career YPRR is at 1.60.

Legette also ranks extremely low in TDPRR (30th) and First Down PRR (last again).

Legette had an awful career PFF grade vs Zone of 61.10, also dead last amongst 35 prospects.

Despite an impressive 2023 season, Legette's overall production profile is abysmal, especially for someone who played 53 career games.

Contested catch is often marked as a positive for Legette in his draft breakdowns. However, Legette ranks relatively low in contested catch rate, converting only 43% of his contested targets.

Edited by DJB

46 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

It wasn’t that he tested poorly in the 40 or vertical, he just looked really shaky running drills- gauntlet and running patterns.  I understand he said he was sick then, so maybe that’s all it was, but his thin frame also gives me pause.  I think he’s a good step down from Mitchell and Thomas.  

He really did look incredibly weak.  Losing his balance and/or falling down in a couple instances in which it looked like he should’ve been able to maintain his stability. Maybe being sick had something to do with that, so I’m glad that we brought in on a visit.  He was high on my list before the combine and is the only guy that really fell out of my favor after his showing

29 minutes ago, DJB said:

I loved Legettes 2023 film but there are major concerns ….. please read the negatives .

(Grabbed this profile breakdown)

Xavier Legette Prospect Analytical Profile

Measurements
Height: 6-1
Weight: 221

Positives:
Surprise, the first positive noted for a prospect is his athleticism. Not to take away from Legette as he does have some insane athletic measurables. Legette scored a 9.89 RAS, which surprisingly only ranks 6th in this year's WR class. Legette ran a 4.39 at 221lb with a 40" vertical and 10’ 6’’ broad jump, all of which are elite in their respective measurements.

Legette is as physical as it gets and is able to use his size/athleticism to his advantage.

Legette's physicality works particularly well against man coverage where Legette had a 2.28 career YPRR and a PFF Grade of 85.6 vs Man in 2023.

Legette did not get a lot of playing time prior to 2023, but in his first full year as a starter, he put up some impressive numbers. In 2023, Legette had a YPRR of over 3.00 and a PFF grade of 82.5.

Legette's on-paper stats in 2023 were impressive - 1,255 receiving yards in only 12 games with 7 touchdowns and an insane yards/rec of 17.7.

Despite his size, Legette played a fair amount of snaps in the slot throughout his career, showing positional versatility. Legette played 25.6% of his career snaps in the slot and had an impressive 443 receiving yards in the slot in 2023, making up for 35% of his production. With his raw skills as a receiver, but insane athleticism and physicality, Legette's ideal role may be as a big-slot in the NFL.

Legette also showed the ability to be a plus deep threat in 2023. 44% of Legette's 2023 production came on deep yards and 64% of his career receiving yards were air yards.

Negatives:
Unfortunately, Legette does have a long list of negatives and red flags in his analytical profile. Starting with Legette having an extremely concerning 5th-year breakout.

Legette is already 23 years old, months before getting drafted. Legette also had a late, late breakout age of 22.

I did previously mention 2023 being Legette first full year as a starter. However, that wasn't because of injury or really a lack of playing time. Prior to 2023, Legette played in 41 games and ran almost 600 routes in 4 years with very little production.

Regardless of the reasoning, his late breakout is extremely concerning for a prospect and poses the question of whether or not Legette's 2023 production was heavily skewed due to being a literal man amongst boys.

Legette has a relatively low career QBR when targeted where he ranks 30th in this year's class.

Legette has an atrocious career YPRR of 1.55. There are 35 prospects in my predictive draft model. Legette ranks dead last in career YPRR by a considerable margin. The prospect with the 2nd to last career YPRR is at 1.60.

Legette also ranks extremely low in TDPRR (30th) and First Down PRR (last again).

Legette had an awful career PFF grade vs Zone of 61.10, also dead last amongst 35 prospects.

Despite an impressive 2023 season, Legette's overall production profile is abysmal, especially for someone who played 53 career games.

Contested catch is often marked as a positive for Legette in his draft breakdowns. However, Legette ranks relatively low in contested catch rate, converting only 43% of his contested targets.

I heard some draft expert on WGR talking about Legette’s one year of production. He basically chalked it up to terrible coaching. The new coach came in before the bowl game and that was Legette’s breakout. He has been great since. He just wasn’t used prior. They played in the Gator Bowl vs. Notre Dame and he caught 2 TDs. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I think Coleman was a fine player in college and at times looked dominant but with him the concern I have is his lack of separation against man coverage. Those windows get smaller and tougher to routinely make in the pros as much as he did last year. 

He was a stud and game changer, I can’t deny that. 

Our problem last year was against man coverage. The receivers couldn’t do much, now while that was Keon’s game last year; producing in that scenario, it’s not something I want to hang my hat on and hope the guy we draft to be the #2 or heir apparent to our current #1 can replicate year in, year out. 

Edited by BBFL
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

AD is not the guy on tape he was at the combine. That's beyond question for me. Not saying I don't want him, I'd be fine if he were the pick but there is no wow on his film IMO. Lots of solid. No wow. Think he has a reasonably high floor as a solid contributing #2 receiver. On film I'd say the ceiling is top end #2. But maybe the testing says otherwise. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

All the WR train people need to stand up and say go get him. Whatever it takes. Josh will have WR1 for the rest his career.

This is a convincing argument for Odunze. Along with his desire to go to the combine and work on his game more.   

If he makes it into the 9-12 range, perhaps? 

• Like (+1) 3