2024 WR Draft Class

I was listening to WGR this morning and they had Sal on who was talking about Brandon Beane talking about smart WRs who can play everywhere.  Am I the only one pulling his hair out at this?  

We NEED a boundary WR, not another Khalil Shakir, Isiah McKenzie, Curtis Samuel or whoever...

22 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

I was listening to WGR this morning and they had Sal on who was talking about Brandon Beane talking about smart WRs who can play everywhere.  Am I the only one pulling his hair out at this?  

We NEED a boundary WR, not another Khalil Shakir, Isiah McKenzie, Curtis Samuel or whoever...

Smart WR’s that can play everywhere on our roster is Stefon Diggs, that’s it.

Im not sure why you’re so worked up over those comments? McKenzie definitely couldn’t play everywhere.

27 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

You might want to listen to Beane's clip yourself then.  A lot of people are interpreting it the way Sal is, but not me. 

They asked Beane what he was looking for in a WR just a few minutes after asking about C Samuels.  He had just talked about Samuel's being in the RB room and the WR room, how he was smart and versatile.  So to me it seemed like the first few qualities that came to Beane's mind were the ones he had just attributed to Samuel. 

From there Beane continued on to other traits, and in his GM speak, pretty much covered every WR on the planet including how you may need to offset the roster, get something you don't currently have.  IMO, not something you need to pull your hair out over, just something the talking heads are cherry picking out for conversation purposes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

You might want to listen to Beane's clip yourself then.  A lot of people are interpreting it the way Sal is, but not me. 

They asked Beane what he was looking for in a WR just a few minutes after asking about C Samuels.  He had just talked about Samuel's being in the RB room and the WR room, how he was smart and versatile.  So to me it seemed like the first few qualities that came to Beane's mind were the ones he had just attributed to Samuel. 

From there Beane continued on to other traits, and in his GM speak, pretty much covered every WR on the planet including how you may need to offset the roster, get something you don't currently have.  IMO, not something you need to pull your hair out over, just something the talking heads are cherry picking out for conversation purposes.

I try not to even think about Samuel right now. 

1 hour ago, Captain Caveman said:

Well a primary X who can also line up elsewhere and is smart + explosive isn't a bad thing.... 

Now, I’m not pounding the table for him, but Ladd McConkey continues to crush the athletic testing in draft run up.  He posted a 20 yard shuttle time in the 95th percentile since 1999 and his 3-cone was 85th percentile among this year’s class.

That doesn’t erase the fact that he does a lot of the same things that Kincaid, Samuel and Shakir do in terms of area of the field that they operate in, but he is a very good prospect.

1 hour ago, Captain Caveman said:

As I've said, people are misconstruing what this means.

You can be a boundary WR, who has smarts, and versatility. Versatility doesn't mean specifically a Tweener type. It just means, like Diggs is, you can line them up wherever you want in different formations. You can put them in motion.

These are things that you can do with Thomas Jr., Mitchell, and Legette. He also said he wants a player that offsets what he has in the same discussion. That to me was the bigger thing in the discussion, as it's pretty clear what we have and don't have in the WR core right now. The versatility thing is just standard operating procedure. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

This won’t fly with the too small slot only people 

We send scouts to look at most everyone with Pro Potential. Even if it's someone who isn't likely to be Drafted by us because of what's on our roster now. It's part of the information gathering we do on players not only for the Draft, but in the years that follow in the Free Agency and Trade market. Scouting players and keeping files on guys isn't exclusive to just that year's Draft.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

3 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

If the Vikings trade up to 4 or 5 and take a QB, perhaps NYG is willing to move out of 6?

28, 60, 4th, 2025 1st & 3rd ? 

select Malik Nabers 

I’m at the point my preferred WR’s are

Nabers, MHJ, Odunze, BTJ 

You're most likely going to be extremely disappointed then. There's an outside chance of BTJ, though it's unlikely. The others are a pipe dream.

As we get closer, you get more unrealistic. I'd focus on BTJ as the ceiling of a potential trade up or potential fall, then Mitchell, Legette, Worthy, and McConkey.

It's incredibly unlikely (borderline foolish) to give up a multiple 1st's plus more for a better prospect when there's multiple 1st Round talents available to us wherein we have to give up nothing. A higher rated prospect doesn't guarantee that they'll be the best Pro player.

We did that for Sammy Watkins when we could have just drafted OBJ. The Vikings could have traded up from where they were to take a higher rated prospect instead of staying where they were and Drafting WR5 in Justin Jefferson. 

Edited by BillsFanForever19

6 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

We send scouts to look at most everyone with Pro Potential. Even if it's someone who isn't likely to be Drafted by us because of what's on our roster now. It's part of the information gathering we do on players not only for the Draft, but in the years that follow in the Free Agency and Trade market. Scouting players and keeping files on guys isn't exclusive to just that year's 

We’re not allowed to discuss anyone under 6’2 around here as an option for the Bills unless he runs a 4.21. Im making a smart comment. I think Corley is an option at 60 if the Bills pass on WR I’m well aware the Bills scout everyone. I know NFL scouts. I use to work for the UB football team when Leipold was there as a recruiting assistant/ offensive QC/ Video guy. I’ve coached at the college and HS level. Im pretty clued in to what does and doesn’t happen in the process. 

1 minute ago, gonzo1105 said:

We’re not allowed to discuss anyone under 6’2 around here as an option for the Bills unless he runs a 4.21. Im making a smart comment. I think Corley is an option at 60 if the Bills pass on WR I’m well aware the Bills scout everyone. I know NFL scouts. I use to work for the UB football team when Leipold was there as a recruiting assistant/ offensive QC/ Video guy. I’ve coached at the college and HS level. Im pretty clued in to what does and doesn’t happen in the process. 

Okay - then in you and I knowing that, why would you suggest "This won’t fly with the too small slot only people"?

I fundamentally disagree with what we have and what we don't have on the roster, that a pure slot (and that's what Corley is) is in play for us at even 60. In Samuel (a 50+% Slot guy), Shakir (a pure slot), and Kincaid (playing as a big slot moreso than at TE with his hand in the dirt) - we are absolutely LOADED there already. Even Diggs lines up in the Slot sometimes.

There's a major reason why players who are considered pure slots or even 50/50 guys are looked down upon here as options and "aren't allowed to be talked about", as you put it. It doesn't fit to "offset" what we have, as Beane talked about yesterday. Corley is not someone you can play on the Outside in the Pro's, even a little bit. Steve Smith, who's his biggest cheerleader even said so.

2 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Okay - then in you and I knowing that, why would you suggest "This won’t fly with the too small slot only people"?

I fundamentally disagree with what we have and what we don't have on the roster, that a pure slot (and that's what Corley is) is in play for us at even 60. In Samuel (a 50+% Slot guy), Shakir (a pure slot), and Kincaid (playing as a big slot moreso than at TE with his hand in the dirt) - we are absolutely LOADED there already. Even Diggs lines up in the Slot sometimes.

There's a major reason why players who are considered pure slots or even 50/50 guys are looked down upon here as options and "aren't allowed to be talked about", as you put it. It doesn't fit to "offset" what we have, as Beane talked about yesterday. Corley is not someone you can play on the Outside in the Pro's, even a little bit. Steve Smith, who's his biggest cheerleader even said so.

I was being a smart ass man, let’s be frank you or I, or anyone else on this board have no idea what the Bills are going to do. You have no idea if they will take Malachi Corley or any other perceived slot or small WR. I also have no clue if they are only targeting big WRs. At least I’ve been willing to discuss all options both WR and non WR at 28 instead of pigeonholing myself to 3 human beings like 90% of this board has done. 

I was one of the first who brought up both McConkey and Roman Wilson who will both go around ish the Bills pick only to be told nope impossible. I sat here and talked about DT being a legit possibility which it still is in round 1 when Jeremiah mocked Jerzahn Newton but no one wants to have an open mind because it’s Brian Thomas, AD Mitchell or Xavier Legette or bust on this board