2024 WR Draft Class

3 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Some are talking about Leggette and Franklin and many other names could still be available at 60.  At 28 Mitchell is a question mark.  Expecting guys to produce more in the NFL than in college at a skill position can be a fools errand.  He has the tools but was never the guy at either school.  Im on the fence with Mitchell.  Mitchell and Robinson are similar prospects in my opionon.  DE as a position has a higher track record of those style guys succeeding than wr does. I think given the choice Buffalo goes Robinson over Mitchell.  

I agree on Michell as well with you just think someone is going to take a chance on his traits and feel they can refine his game earlier than what showed on his tape 

Just now, gonzo1105 said:

I agree on Michell as well with you just think someone is going to take a chance on his traits and feel they can refine his game earlier than what showed on his tape 

Your right.  Given the choice I go Worthy over Mitchell.  Though size may push Mitchell above him.  

I think what we should expect is an EVENTUAL starter on the outside, IF we do indeed take a WR at 28. Doesn't have to be right away. There are at least 6 Wr's that COULD be available when we pick that could fill that need. As we know or have learned, teams are going to end up really happy with about 3 of those 6, and NONE of us know who will live up to their projections and who won't.   

BTJ, Mitchell, Franklin, Legette, Ladd and Coleman all fit that potential from what I have seen. Some are more physical than others... Some are better separators, etc. etc.

1 hour ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Curious whether you think Worthy and McConkey can or cannot be effective from the outside

Wothy maybe only because he's got elite speed and that might cause teams to not want to bump and run him because of fear he'll take them to the house but we've seen guys with elite speed struggle in the NFL. Tyreek has been an exception IMO not the rule. McConkey to be is a pure slot, as he wins based on route running and short area quickness. I know people will claim this sounds like Stef, difference being Stef was a 5 star guy coming out of highschool, Ladd was a 3 star. Also Stef plays bigger than his size IMO and has elite ability to separate.  So, no I don't think either of these two will be above average outside options. 

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Legette, Mitchell, Coleman, MHJ

This receiving corps needs a more typical boundary receiver and someone who doesn't necessarily need the separation to make a big catch. Josh has never had top-calibre WR with that ability. Closest was Benjamin for a year? All he's ever had are some backup-calibre guys with plus size traits. As good as Diggs has been, he's obviously not a big guy.

No Thomas Jr.?

I feel like Allen was at his best with Diggs, Brown, and/or Sanders as “boundary” WRs. Do you see them similarly to the 4 prospects you listed? Or closer to Gabe?

24 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Wothy maybe only because he's got elite speed and that might cause teams to not want to bump and run him because of fear he'll take them to the house but we've seen guys with elite speed struggle in the NFL. Tyreek has been an exception IMO not the rule. McConkey to be is a pure slot, as he wins based on route running and short area quickness. I know people will claim this sounds like Stef, difference being Stef was a 5 star guy coming out of highschool, Ladd was a 3 star. Also Stef plays bigger than his size IMO and has elite ability to separate.  So, no I don't think either of these two will be above average outside options. 

Fair enough.

Obviously Tyreek is one of one, but what about Worthy makes you think he might struggle at the next level?

On the McConkey/Diggs comparison, how do you factor in that the latter was a 5th round pick?

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks

17 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

No Thomas Jr.?

I feel like Allen was at his best with Diggs, Brown, and/or Sanders as “boundary” WRs. Do you see them similarly to the 4 prospects you listed? Or closer to Gabe?

Fair enough.

Obviously Tyreek is one of one, but what about Worthy makes you think he might struggle at the next level?

On the McConkey/Diggs comparison, how do you factor in that the latter was a 5th round pick?

The law of averages and it seems like most elite speed guys struggle in the NFL and of course his low weight a concern. 

Diggs going to Maryland didn't help his cause as let's admit it they haven't been relevant in the NCAA. Toss in his best season was his freshman year and he struggled with injuries a bit in school etc. So his stock dropped for said reasons. 

42 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

No Thomas Jr.?

Fair enough.

Sanders and Brown would be deemed too small to play outside by some here.  Players skill determines where they will be able to play.  Having interchangeable pieces makes them harder to defend.  I think adding a player who can run past defenders that expands the coverage vertically has been lacking for some time.  Dont need to be 200 plus or over 6-1.  

• Agree 1

what I took away from that:  

He said Nabers first

McConkey wasn’t mentioned by Josh

In Order of Josh naming them:

Nabers

Odunze

MHJ

BTJ

AD Mitchell

Coleman

Franklin

Worthy

Legette

He may like Legette more than other “Tier 2” guys based on extra comment? 

Diggs wasn’t mentioned by anyone

Samuel, Gabe, Shakir, Kincaid all discussed to some extent

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

I think pure speed guys mostly struggle in the NFL because all they’ve relied on their entire career is speed. They don’t have savvy moves to get open, they’re not QB friendly with understanding of coverages, they don’t always have the best hands. Worthy has had legit production at a major collegiate conference, he’s not a one year wonder like John Ross. Given the league isn’t as physical as it once was, he should be okay. Devonta Smith is similar in size and has been highly productive. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Some are talking about Leggette and Franklin and many other names could still be available at 60.  

I don't think there is much chance either get to #60. I'm definitely hearing more people I respect talking about Legette as having a small chance of sneaking into the end of round 1 than I did a month ago pre-combine when I basically couldn't find anyone who thought that. I don't think he will, ultimately, I think he will go somewhere between 30 and 50. I think the first 20 picks of round 2 will be a MAJOR run on receivers. We have increasingly seen that pattern. 7 went between 34 and 54 in 2022 and 7 went between 32 and 59 in 2020 (the last two comparatively strong receiver classes). 

I am not sure the record of 6 in round 1 will be broken. But the record of 13 in the first two rounds? I'd take the over on that for sure. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Brand J said:

I think pure speed guys mostly struggle in the NFL because all they’ve relied on their entire career is speed. They don’t have savvy moves to get open, they’re not QB friendly with understanding of coverages, they don’t always have the best hands. Worthy has had legit production at a major collegiate conference, he’s not a one year wonder like John Ross. Given the league isn’t as physical as it once was, he should be okay. Devonta Smith is similar in size and has been highly productive. 

DeSean Jackson made a good career out of being a burner. I think Henry Ruggs would have been a stud if he wasn’t a complete psychopath 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Roundybout said:

DeSean Jackson made a good career out of being a burner. I think Henry Ruggs would have been a stud if he wasn’t a complete psychopath 

Yep, the theme is the same for all those guys. Their speed is secondary to their knowledge and craft. I think it was Brady who called Moss “the smartest receiver I’ve ever been around.”

I think Worthy will be successful in the league, he has nuance to his game. He’s not just a “run fast” guy. That said, I’m not advocating for him at 28, but if it happens I wouldn’t be pissed about it. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

The law of averages and it seems like most elite speed guys struggle in the NFL and of course his low weight a concern. 

Diggs going to Maryland didn't help his cause as let's admit it they haven't been relevant in the NCAA. Toss in his best season was his freshman year and he struggled with injuries a bit in school etc. So his stock dropped for said reasons. 

Not sure what you mean by law of averages. I’ve read his weight was down intentionally so he could break the 40 record.

Fair re: Diggs. I think McConkey goes in the 1st.

19 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Not sure what you mean by law of averages. I’ve read his weight was down intentionally so he could break the 40 record.

Fair re: Diggs. I think McConkey goes in the 1st.

I just think with his 170 lbs is going to be less than ideal. I know about Dvonta Smith but feel he's an exception not a rule. I mean Worthy hype only come since his forty time imo.

25 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I just think with his 170 lbs is going to be less than ideal. I know about Dvonta Smith but feel he's an exception not a rule. I mean Worthy hype only come since his forty time imo.

Smith is one but there are a bunch of others with similar build and success. DeSean Jackson, Marquise Brown, John Brown, Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, Tyreek Hill, Zay Flowers, and TY Hilton, just to name a few. Less than ideal sure but I think Worthy belongs in that bunch of exceptions. I kind of hate that he broke the 40 record because I liked him this much pre-Combine.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Roundybout said:

What is EPA per route?

20 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

No Thomas Jr.?

Fair enough.

Hill is about 20lbs heavier than Worthy distributed on a shorter frame.

18 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think there is much chance either get to #60. I'm definitely hearing more people I respect talking about Legette as having a small chance of sneaking into the end of round 1 than I did a month ago pre-combine when I basically couldn't find anyone who thought that. I don't think he will, ultimately, I think he will go somewhere between 30 and 50. I think the first 20 picks of round 2 will be a MAJOR run on receivers. We have increasingly seen that pattern. 7 went between 34 and 54 in 2022 and 7 went between 32 and 59 in 2020 (the last two comparatively strong receiver classes). 

I am not sure the record of 6 in round 1 will be broken. But the record of 13 in the first two rounds? I'd take the over on that for sure. 

I think the receiver pool will be pretty shallow by 60.  You might get guys like Polk, Baker or Rice there - maybe an outside shot at Coleman, but the better prospects will be snapped up by mid-round (at least that’s my $.02 worth).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1