Ryan O'Halloran - Bills should go Defense Heavy in draft

His comparison is wrong.  Detroit got a bunch of picks from trading players. Their current QB was a throw in.

I don’t know the depth of the draft with positions

i think one of their top 2 should be on WR, the other top 2 should be on defense.  A safety,and a DL.

9 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Fielding a team that has only 1 DT, 2 DEs, and 1 Safety (Hamlin) on the entire roster would certainly be the defensive downgrade you are after. But we simply cant roll that out.

It's not about upgrading the defense. It's about having a full starting lineup of 11 guys.

1 WR pick, then the rest have to be Defense. Unless you want to line up those 2nd and 3rd picked WRs as DBs.

This is the reason Beane could be on the hot seat next off-season. McDermott didn't win with the teams he was given and now we got backed into a corner trying to run it back with scrapyard components. 

If we find ourselves outside looking in on the playoffs next year the whole tide turns, not just on McDermott. 

We absolutely must draft deep on defense and address the WR with a bona fide #2.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

WR in RD 1 please. They do need to address the defense as well. But they need another weapon for Allen to throw to. If Diggs really is starting to decline, then the WR pick becomes more important.

Also need pass rushing DE.  Strachan from Univ of SCarolina could be had in round 4.

9 minutes ago, boyst said:

This is the reason Beane could be on the hot seat next off-season. McDermott didn't win with the teams he was given and now we got backed into a corner trying to run it back with scrapyard components. 

If we find ourselves outside looking in on the playoffs next year the whole tide turns, not just on McDermott. 

We absolutely must draft deep on defense and address the WR with a bona fide #2.

Keep in mind though that the AFC East is in disarray.  IMO the Bills go into next season in better shape versus the rest of the division then we did this season.  And as much as I criticize McD he is a solid coach who like Marvin Lewis in Cincinnati will get the Bills to the playoffs next season and win the division.  Then we will exit the playoffs in round 2.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Fielding a team that has only 1 DT, 2 DEs, and 1 Safety (Hamlin) on the entire roster would certainly be the defensive downgrade you are after. But we simply cant roll that out.

It's not about upgrading the defense. It's about having a full starting lineup of 11 guys.

1 WR pick, then the rest have to be Defense. Unless you want to line up those 2nd and 3rd picked WRs as DBs.

What are you talking about? Who said don't fill the roster with players?

3 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Dumb. A top safety or even CB or DT or DE will NOT impact the Bills chance of winning as much as a stud WR on a 5-year rookie contract. Josh throwing to a big, fast young WR is the single biggest difference this team can make going forward.

We lack a "dangerous" player on this team and this is the draft to get a dangerous WR in the first round. Draft a CB or safety in the second but not the first.

I'm so sick and tired of throwing darts at defensive players while Josh has had scraps as weapons over the last 4-5 years. Now with that said if we can draft a quality wr in the 1st and maybe land a good fa wr (not a Harty/ Sherfield type) then kock yourself out in rounds 2-7 on defense. Maybe Shorter or Hamler stick?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, OZBILLS said:

Everyone is hell bent on a WR, which is incorrect and I'll be laughing when it fails.

DEF all the way

how many times do you have to hear "everyone was covered" before you recognize the urgent need?  

3 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

In terms of the numbers … they will go Defense heavy in the draft 

But I still expect them to pick at least 1 receiver ( first round), maybe another mid round depending on what happens in FA… and a C in rounds 3-4 to learn the job for  a year and take over in 2025 …

Get that done and I could care  less if they use all those Day 3 picks on the D …

Ain’t much gonna happen in free agency unless Von and Diggs want to adjust their contract to their value. a good speedy wide out will have to come through the draft

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

My only quibble (listed above) is decent journeyman play at a lot of our D openings can be found for reasonable money before the draft. I know that because that's how we got Shaq, Daquan, Floyd, Phillips, Hyde and Poyer.

I absolutely support reloading our defensive depth and priming future superstars, but we don't have the luxury to bid for those on offense. We are lucky enough to be in great position on O-line, TE, QB and RB but WR is a debilitating weakness 

1 minute ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Ain’t much gonna happen in free agency unless Von and Diggs want to adjust their contract to their value. a good speedy wide out will have to come through the draft

I don’t see Von or Diggs agreeing to a pay cut …but I still see other roster moves being made like restructuring Josh again and cutting some other guys to allow some modest FA moves …which may include finding a mid tier WR … not expecting Evans or Higgins though 

3 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Dumb. A top safety or even CB or DT or DE will NOT impact the Bills chance of winning as much as a stud WR on a 5-year rookie contract. Josh throwing to a big, fast young WR is the single biggest difference this team can make going forward.

We lack a "dangerous" player on this team and this is the draft to get a dangerous WR in the first round. Draft a CB or safety in the second but not the first.

Everyone wants a stud round 1 WR but it’s not a sure thing they work out especially year 1. I would much rather spend my cap money on a proven young WR (Higgins, Pittman) and then get a mid round pick at WR to go with diggs and shakir. If that first round receiver isn’t a stud out of the gate your wr situation next year is worse than this year. Use the draft to get young and cheap on defense and use all available assets in FA to load up on proven talent for Josh. Diggs contract will be off the books after next year so you can structure a proven wr contract with a low year 1 cap hit then have it increase the following years

5 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I don’t see Von or Diggs agreeing to a pay cut …but I still see other roster moves being made like restructuring Josh again and cutting some other guys to allow some modest FA moves …which may include finding a mid tier WR … not expecting Evans or Higgins though 

I just think there are so many holes to fill that whatever savings we get from renegotiating will go to fill the immediate holes, a speedy wide receiver if available won’t come cheap. The logical place to get one is the draft. But who knows what will happen???

4 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

I just think there are so many holes to fill that whatever savings we get from renegotiating will go to fill the immediate holes, a speedy wide receiver if available won’t come cheap. The logical place to get one is the draft. But who knows what will happen???

Time will tell… get at least one in the draft … but FA could be an option for WR  … look everywhere 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.