2020s Buffalo Bills are The Miami Dolphins of the 90s

The Kelly led Bills were the #1 reason Marino and the fins never won a super bowl. The Chiefs will be the reason Buffalo will never win one with Allen. If Buffalo could not take down their nemesis on home-field with a very mediocre Chiefs offense, they never will. McDermott is going nowhere and the Bills will be regarded like the Kelly teams of the 90s (minus super bowl appearances). These guys just can't get over the hump. 

I suppose we should be happy making the playoffs every year because it was an exciting ride. We have also been EXTREMELY fortunate that Allen has not been injured any of these years. Our luck is going to run out one day with that so enjoy the health while we have it. 

While I agree that this has been the case up until now, it doesn't have to be the complete story.

As mad, frustrated and disappointed as I currently am, if we had a bit better luck with injuries, we could have beaten the Chiefs.  The Pittsburg game mortally wounded us.

Our window is open as long as Allen is health, but we need to address WR immediately, get more consistency from our billion dollar Dline, and also figure what the hell is up with special teams.  Very odd that we went from best to worse in one season.

Edit: want to add that although our D line didn't play great yesterday, they were really missing all their complimentary pieces since our LBers and secondary was so decimated.  Still one sack in a huge moment could have changed this game.

Edited by saundena
  • Like (+1) 1

Ironically,  I'd compare them to the Chiefs of the early 1990s.  They weren't one-dimensional and had plenty of all-around talent,  but an overly conservative approach from the coaching staff and front office largely prevented them from advancing to the Super Bowl.   

• Agree 1

More like the Chargers under Rivers and LT. Comparisons are almost identical across the board over the past 4 seasons right down to record, points per game, points allowed per game, winning 4 divisions titles, making 1 AFCCG, losing in the divisional round repeatedly, etc...

Someone put out a tweet, I reposted in another thread but can't locate it. Comparison are almost identical. The Dolphins in the 90s almost never won the division

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Just MHO and trying to be realistic but a $50M cap, the number of aging players, the number of young talented QBs in this league… it’s going to make it very  tough for the Bills to appear in or win a SB.  We’ll be competitive, but elite enough? That door is closing quickly. 

Edited by PayDaBill$

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

More like the Chargers under Rivers and LT. Comparisons are almost identical across the board over the past 4 seasons right down to record, points per game, points allowed per game, winning 4 divisions titles, making 1 AFCCG, losing in the divisional round repeatedly, etc...

Someone put out a tweet, I reposted in another thread but can't locate it. Comparison are almost identical. The Dolphins in the 90s almost never won the division

Correct, but I suppose my point is that the Dolphins never won the division because we were in their way. 

Rather than being a legendary team, the recent version of the Bills will be an historic footnote due to their inability to beat the Chiefs, and even the Bengals, when it matters.

It's sad to see with a QB of Allen's talent. 

At least the Levy/Kelly Bills made 4 Super Bowls in a row which was historic. 

Edited by Bob Chandler's Hands

The NFL, particularly the AFC  is littered with these kinds of stories over the years (decades).

• Raiders in the 70s were fantastic, but Miami & Pittsburgh
  • Cleveland in the 80s, but Denver, Cincy
  • Colts, Steelers in the 2000s/2010s, but New England
  • Bills presently, but Chiefs

Going forward, who knows. The AFC is really tough, and typically a few playoff teams don't even make the playoffs the following season. Lots of "what-ifs" ahead for many teams.

18 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Ironically,  I'd compare them to the Chiefs of the early 1990s.  They weren't one-dimensional and had plenty of all-around talent,  but an overly conservative approach from the coaching staff and front office largely prevented them from advancing to the Super Bowl.   

History repeats itself. 

The difference is the Dolphins many times were getting jackhammered by the bills in the regular season and playoffs.
Mahomes and the Chiefs aren’t running the bills out of their building the Bills and Chiefs every single game are literally going down to the final possession. 
This is more a mental roadblock than anything. 

I was thinking how we just reversed roles w/ the Chiefs.  I think we kept them out of the SB twice in the '90s.

But the Dolphins are a good comp, as are the Rivers' Chargers.  Great QB, good team - but there is a better QB & team, and we can't get past them.

26 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

The difference is the Dolphins many times were getting jackhammered by the bills in the regular season and playoffs.
Mahomes and the Chiefs aren’t running the bills out of their building the Bills and Chiefs every single game are literally going down to the final possession. 
This is more a mental roadblock than anything. 

The games are being won and lost in the margins between the teams. Seems we know how to have the margins in the regular season but Reid and the Chiefs know how to have them when it counts the most.

Not sure what it is or even if it's a single thing.

Literally a play here or there could have been the difference.

The teams are so evenly matched the points for/points against numbers are almost identical over the last several meetings.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Our luck is going to run out one day with that so enjoy the health while we have it. 

Remind me when this team ever had a shred of luck. You need to have something before one runs out of it.

That Chiefs offense isn’t as bad as you’re making out. They’ve actually finally come together. 

Rashee Rice, Kelce and Pacheco isn’t a bad trio behind Mahomes. 

Diggs, DK2, Shakir and Cook are what Allen has to work with. 

Imagine if they still had Hill…

Should have beaten that team. Their defense played well enough to put us into tough positions we were barely unable to execute. 

Defense was where it hurt. Bernard being out was rough. KC make a living on that underneath/middle of the field stuff. 

How Elam played 0 snaps is wild. Especially when Klein is for 98% @ 49.  Dorian Williams only played 6 snaps of defense but seemed to be doing something when he was…

14 minutes ago, Beast said:

Remind me when this team ever had a shred of luck. You need to have something before one runs out of it.

Poyer’s FF to go back out the EZ for a touchback wasnt luck…? Stopped the game potentially getting out of hand. KC would have been up 34-24.

We did nothing with our next 2 possessions… missed a FG. That should, for how critical a game, be 6 points for the end of both of those drives. 

Didn’t execute man. That loss is solely on the team as a whole. After that moronic 4th down run by Hamlin, we deserved to lose. Like people said in the GDT, you keep the ball in Allen’s hands.

Edited by BBFL

6 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Poyer’s FF to go back out the EZ for a touchback wasnt luck…? Stopped the game potentially getting out of hand. KC would have been up 34-24.

I don’t consider making a play and forcing a fumble luck. I consider that making a play.

Edited by Beast

Just now, Beast said:

I don’t consider making a play and forcing a fumble luck. I consider that making a play.

The ball bouncing out the EZ instead of the sideline isn’t luck? 

Dude. Again. After the epic choice of running with Damar Hamlin instead of Josh on 4th down deserved us to lose the game. 

Poyer made a great play but the luck came with where the ball bounced. If you don’t believe so then you’ve never played contact football enough to be on the wrong end of a bounce. 

1 hour ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Not only Mahomes. We also have to worry about Burrow next year, Lamar, and possibly Herbert if he gets competent coaching. Buffalo would have a chance if they were in the NFC, but the AFC is just a gauntlet of great QBs. 

Stroud and Lawrence also

3 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Dude. Again. After the epic choice of running with Damar Hamlin instead of Josh on 4th down deserved us to lose the game. 

Poyer made a great play but the luck came with where the ball bounced. If you don’t believe so then you’ve never played contact football enough to be on the wrong end of a bounce. 

You’re talking one ***** bounce on one play in  63 year franchise history. I think everyone in this thread besides you realize what I meant when I said you need to have luck to lose it. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Not only Mahomes. We also have to worry about Burrow next year, Lamar, and possibly Herbert if he gets competent coaching. Buffalo would have a chance if they were in the NFC, but the AFC is just a gauntlet of great QBs. 

Now adding Stroud too. This was our year. Lamar just doesn't scare me. 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Beast said:

You’re talking one ***** bounce on one play in  63 year franchise history. I think everyone in this thread besides you realize what I meant when I said you need to have luck to lose it. 

And that’s all it takes… could have been called “The bounce to the Super Bowl”

No different than a wide right in terms of one game defining play. Just as pivotal as the second wide right to crush a SB dream. 

It stopped KC going up 10. We had 2 chances after that to score; tie and win the game. Should be coming away with at least 6 points on 2 drives. 

You can’t see that bounce being luck we wasted, then cool. 

18 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Long after we are all dust and bones, this is what will be remembered of the 2023/4 Buffalo Bills. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I'd say the KC/BUF = NE/IND comparison is MUCH more apt.

We aren't losing our division like the Dolphins were.

We aren't losing by more than a FG to the Chiefs typically when we do lose to them.

We'll get them a couple times in this era (my opinion)

Also, F*** Miami

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, dorquemada said:

Long after we are all dust and bones, this is what will be remembered of the 2023/4 Buffalo Bills. 

Such a weird f—-in’ play. 

They were trying to get Damar his Comeback Player of the Year award… there is nothing else to it for that choice of play…

If the Bills are the Dolphins of the 90's I have another comparison.

Josh Allen is Karl Malone of the NBA.  Dude is a Hall of Famer, and made the playoffs every season i think. He would have at least a couple Championship rings, but alas, he had to run into Michael Jordan in the finals.   Mahomes is our Jordan.  Malone ended his career with no rings.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.