Chiefs players of years past

boyst

12 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

Larry Johson. Guy looked like the best RB to ever play the game for 3 seasons and then just stopped

Larry Johnson had basically the same career as Okoye. Both utterly dominant for 2-3 seasons then faded into obscurity.

30 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Christian Okoye and Mark Vlasic!

We took a whooping at the hands of the Nigerian Nightmare on MNF but came roaring back in the playoffs and harassed Vlasic ALL GAME LONG.

MEMORIES...... in the corner of my mind.... :P 

He was definitely in a pickle…

• Haha (+1) 1

This is a cool memory.

Growing up as an Air Force Brat, my Dad's last assignment was Japan from 1970-73. We lived on a housing base called Kanto-Mura, in the Chofu prefecture.

There was a high school football star who went on to play for the Chiefs, his name was Tony Reed 😁.

I remember how good he was and dominant in High School  even though I was just a kid , around 10 years old.

6aa2f9b8c38e964c58c5633f31c35697.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

Fun.

My time was Derrick Thomas, Deron Cherry, Neil Smith’s nose bandaid, the very local phenomenon Nigerian Nightmare Christian Okoye, Steve DeBerg’s left hand cast, their offensive lineman, and that evil evil man Dale Carter (dirty player). 

I just looked up their roster from the early 1990s and I pretty much remember every player believe it or not. The NFL media did a good job of telling us their names, not concentrating 90% of their time on a star’s entire make believe life story.

Barry Word and Okoye were a fantastic duo. The Bills took a beating in KC one Monday night. Think it was 33-6. The Bills narrative back then was that they won all home games, won division games, won NFC games, and occasionally got blown out on the road vs non division AFC teams. Path to the Super Bowl. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/kan/1992_roster.htm

1 hour ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Nick Lowery.  Single bar face mask.

Hahaha yep. And then the Dolphin’s kicker that made a 58 yarder — with a butter fade. 

The early 80s Marv Levy led Chiefs were a sorry roster. Bill Kenney or Steve Fuller at QB with the late Joe Delaney at RB and Art Still at DE.  They were like Bills during Jauron Era.  

Edited by freddyjj
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Barry Word and Okoye were a fantastic duo. The Bills took a beating in KC one Monday night. Think it was 33-6. The Bills narrative back then was that they won all home games, won division games, won NFC games, and occasionally got blown out on the road vs non division AFC teams. Path to the Super Bowl. 

I remember this game.  My mom wouldn't let me stay up to watch it because I had school the next day.

Woke up, saw that score and was blown.  Maybe it's good I didn't watch it.

I always liked this guys game. he could throw a good deep ball.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0NzuQgTbwjEp3lLJ0LT-

anyone remember this game?

Buffalo 37, Kansas City 14 (Jan. 5, 1992) 

1991 AFC divisional playoffs 

Marty Schottenheimer's staff in Kansas City featured several future NFL coaches, including Bill Cowher, Tony Dungy, Bruce Arians, and Herm Edwards, but any hopes of an upset in Buffalo were squashed when Cornelius Bennett knocked out Chiefs quarterback Steve DeBerg on a vicious hit. The Bills built a 17-0 halftime lead with the help of two TD passes from Jim Kelly to Andre Reed, and Thurman Thomas added 100 rushing yards. Kansas City backup quarterback Mark Vlasic threw four interceptions. Washington beat Buffalo 37-24 in Super Bowl XXVI three weeks later. 

Inside Bills vs. Chiefs playoff history, from AFL championship to 2021 thriller that changed overtime

Bills vs. Chiefs playoff history 

The winner of the previous five playoff meetings between these two teams has advanced to the Super Bowl four times.

A look at the quarterbacks who started in Buffalo-Kansas City games: 

Jim Kelly Bills 2-0

Patrick Mahomes II Chiefs 2-0

Len Dawson Chiefs 0-1

Jack Kemp Bills 0-1

Steve DeBerg Chiefs 0-1

Joe Montana Chiefs 0-1

Josh Allen Bills 0-2

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Bills vs. Chiefs playoff history 

The winner of the previous five playoff meetings between these two teams has advanced to the Super Bowl four times.

A look at the quarterbacks who started in Buffalo-Kansas City games: 

Jim Kelly Bills 2-0

Patrick Mahomes II Chiefs 2-0

Len Dawson Chiefs 0-1

Jack Kemp Bills 0-1

Steve DeBerg Chiefs 0-1

Joe Montana Chiefs 0-1

Josh Allen Bills 0-2

Kemp’s 1966 Bills lost to the Lenny Dawson led Chiefs in 1966 AFL championship game at the Rockpile. 
So Dawson was 1-0 vs Bills.  

Edited by freddyjj

2 hours ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Otis Taylor 

Jan Stenarude (sp?)

Len Dawson

2 hours ago, Stroke 17 said:

Going back to the old AFL days at the Rockpile, one of my 1st games.

BUCK BUCHANON, OTIS TAYLOR, JAN STENERUD, WILLIE LANIER, QB LEN DAWSON AND COACH HANK STRAM.

There are 25 former Chiefs in the Pro Football Hall of Fame... and arguably more that are deserving based on their careers mostly in the AFL. There are 12 former Bills in the Hall of Fame.

Also the Chiefs won 3 AFL Championships, the most of any team.

And they've won the most Super Bowls of the teams that were in the AFL... tied with the Raiders and Broncos with 3.

The Hall of Honor at Arrowhead Stadium is virtually the American Football League Hall of Fame.

Like it or not, the Chiefs are the standard bearer for the teams which came out of the American Football League.

Hate and respect.

2 hours ago, streetkings01 said:

I remember watching the Kelly led Bills team get slaughtered yearly on Monday Night Football against the Chiefs.

Christian Okoye and Barry Word.

Also that 1st Round running back who had the Merton Hanks neck... Harvey Williams?

2 hours ago, BBFL said:

Thomas and Neil Smith were a nightmare. 

Neil Smith used to do a home run swing sack celebration. During one Bills-Chiefs game, Bruce Smith decided to return the favor.

1 hour ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Steve Deberg

I remember DeBerg broke his pinkie one year and played with a comically oversized cast on it. The cast was so disproportionately large that you couldn't help but think his chiropractor was seeing dollar signs watching him play.

Steve DeBerg pinky cast.png

42 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

The early 80s Marv Levy led Chiefs were a sorry roster. Bill Kenney or Steve Fuller at QB with the late Joe Delaney at RB and Art Still at DE.  They were like Bills during Jauron Era.  

As some here know, Joe Delaney died trying to save others. He didn't know how to swim but he saw three young boys drowning in a lake and tried to save them. Of the 4 individuals, one boy survived. Delaney was also known for other acts of charity and kindness.

19 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Kemp’s 1966 Bills lost to the Lenny Dawson led Chiefs in 1966 AFL championship game at the Rockpile. 
So Dawson was 1-0 vs Bills.  

And by virtue of that win represented the AFL in the first Super Bowl where they lost to Vince Lombardi's Green Bay Packers.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

In lived in Colorado for the 1990's and watched a lot of Broncos and other AFC West games, because that's all that was available.

I thought Neil Smith was always a dominant player whenever I say him on the field.

neil

51 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Joe Delaney never had a chance to develop. He was one of the best young RB's at the time and competed with the likes of Joe Cribbs. I was in shock when he passed suddenly.

usatsi_9867653-e1617817154550.jpg

And Marv didn't have much to work with, but he got the best out of the players.

DuTus9SXQAEMZ2J?format=jpg&name=large

3 hours ago, boyst said:

We have had a recent rivalry build between the Chiefs and Bills. This rivalry has some deep roots that go back to the foundations of these teams.

As we go into tomorrow what former chiefs do you remember? Maybe why you remember them, too? Say as many as you'd like.

I will say Elvis Grbac. Because with a name like that you know he's great. 

Good post. You would never seem some this of this quality on ChiefsPlanet. Bunch of oafs over there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.