Ron Rivera for Bills DC?

kota

1 hour ago, ToGoGo said:

A lot of people doubled down on McDermott after the Broncos/Eagles loss and the Dunne article. Heard some very emotional displays on this board against him. 

What he's done is silence those people in ways that make things awkward. As we continue winning this year, starting with the Chiefs this weekend, I will be monitoring some of those posters to see when they admit they were wrong. 

Will they continue moving the goal posts? Will they subtly set McDermott up for failure by making a loss to the Chiefs seem "unthinkable". If we win the Super Bowl, will they still secretly want him gone? I wish I was joking. 

For me, defeat against the Steelers should have made McDermott's seat very hot.

I always said a game against the Chiefs is a 50/50 affair and, to date, McDermott/Josh have had the upper hand in the regular season whilst Reid/Mahomes have got it done in the play offs. Whatever happens against them, he won't get moved on.

Do I have my doubts about having a defensively minded HC presiding over an elite QB? Yes. Less because of McDermott himself but more because of the lack of consistency on the offensive coaching side. If the Bills win the SB with the offense playing at least an equal part then some teams may have a look at Brady, and so the cycle will continue.

But will McDermott be sacked with a blowout or infamous ending against the Chiefs? No. And what he's done from Dorsey's sacking onwards has been remarkable.

I can see Rivera joining as a consultant but not as DC. I do think McDermott struggled early on holding both the HC and DC roles but he seems to have adjusted as the season went on. If he brings someone in, it'll be a coordinator who will follow his style of defense, and won't raise too many questions or disputes.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

Guys, he is just kidding!

No one can be that ignorant of the facts, or that stupid, to think that McDermott is on the hot seat!

He isn’t on the hot seat. The game hasn’t been played yet.

Some would probably tell you his seat has been hot after the Philly game.

Others would tell you it’s SB or be gone.

My position is that he must appear in the championship game to be safe. He doesn’t have to win that game IMO.

Its not likely that these folks opinions changed because they feel bad for him because of Dunne’s article.

Edited by Governor
  • Agree 1

My thoughts on hiring a defensive coordinator for next year have changed dramatically over the last few months. I now believe that will not happen.

With our former incompetent OC, it was an almost overwhelming challenge for McDermott to be both the head coach and the D coordinator, as his shcmodrick OC wrecked the offense and team.  McDermott could not then be the defacto O coordinator too, monitor and direct that idiot, and also coach the team.

But now, with the makings of a good coordinator in Brady, a 6-1 record since he took over,  and the one loss at the hands of a 59 yard field goal, I  think McDermott almost has to be the D coordinator next year too. He has been a fantastic defensive coordinator.  No defensive coordinator is even close to him as far as coaching this year.  The only other candidate for best D coordinator this year would be Spagnuolo, as a a coach like Cleveland's Schwartz had teams that got blown out on the road.  (He was the one I wanted for us this year--that would have been a mistake.)

This year's  Bills' defense was one of the most disciplined, well prepared, aggressive, play every snap as if it was the last units I have ever seen on this team--and  add in his expert game plans, schemes, in game changes, and the overcoming of an almost comical amount of major injuries and it may be the best coaching job I have ever seen by a Bills D coordinator.

Rivera! Come on--would not even be a consideration by McDermott, despite his history with him. I think Rivera retires this year, should. Or maybe take some time off to rejuvenate, change.

Edited by Mister Defense
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

The Bills finished the last game playing their 5th and 6th linebackers and their 4th and 5th cornerbacks. That's not even including the Taron Johnson injury.

The Chiefs have had 2 more days to recover and prepare than the Bills.

The Bills, not the Chiefs are the vulnerable team.

Victim much?

You made a ridiculous statement and then you doubled down on it. 

The 90's Dolphins with Dan Marino at QB were coached by 2 Hall of Famers... Don Shula and Jimmy johnson..

Dude!

I saw RR and started having Rex Ryan flashbacks.

Be careful, please.

The thread title has Ron Rivera in it. No one has to be careful. Use common sense. 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Governor said:

We need to save this thread.

Theres a 95 percent chance McD would hire Rivera. It’s likely already in the works. He already signaled that he’d be ok being an assistant or coordinator. 

Can you please give us some facts that would in any way support your extremely specific contentions?  How is it 95% likely, and what facts do you have that it is "likely already in the works"?

Obviously you have information to back this up and are not just spewing nonsense that popped into your head one day.

Please share the info and facts that you have, as I am eager to find out what specific information you have for this vital change you indicate is almost a sure thing.

8 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

McD deserves the option to bring in who he wants or if he wants to stay DC. 

I love how fast , aggressive and intense this D has been as opposed to the laid back Frazier 

I've enjoyed the way McD's defense remains credible despite many of the best players hanging out in hospital wards.  

The unit plays hard with lots of communication, teamwork, and perseverance.  

If we bring in a DC, I don't think any of that changes.  It'll still be McD's defense.  Having someone to help him run practices would be a good thing so he has time for his HC thing.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, FilthyBeast said:

Also what incentive does McD have to hire a real DC again considering the Bills have at minimum already gone as far as they have the last 2 years when they had a DC in place?

I don't agree with you often but I agree with this. Why would they hire a DC? Unless I suppose it is a DC title but without playcalling. 

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

McD should keep the play calling duties.  It's been elite level despite a comical amount of injuries.

Unless he publicly endorses Hamas or something, he's as safe as any coach in the league.

Wait. Endorsing Al Qaida was fine but Hamas is over the line?

seriously, I’m stunned by how many people here think he should be fired. I think he should be coach of the year. 

8 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

McD deserves the option to bring in who he wants or if he wants to stay DC. 

I love how fast , aggressive and intense this D has been as opposed to the laid back Frazier 

Only if he runs the defense exactly like Sean is now.  At least McD is mixing in more aggressive packages and deceptive looks than Leslie did. If he feels comfortable enough to trust Ron to run this same strategy,  then do it.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I've enjoyed the way McD's defense remains credible despite many of the best players hanging out in hospital wards.  

The unit plays hard with lots of communication, teamwork, and perseverance.  

If we bring in a DC, I don't think any of that changes.  It'll still be McD's defense.  Having someone to help him run practices would be a good thing so he has time for his HC thing.  

Good points there,  though 'credible' I think is an understatement! They are kicking kiester and continued to do so even after losing one vital starter after another on Monday.

It makes sense that he brings in some coaching help.  He now knows more about the kind of help he would need to make this even smoother for him as both a head coach and D coordinator, so can now get some extra coaches in there to make it all easier.  But I don't think that person will be a designated defensive coordinator. 

Is there any limit to how many coaches a team can have or how much the payroll for coaches is? I think the answer is no to both but am not sure.

Edited by Mister Defense
  • Like (+1) 2

no effing way...he ran the show here in DC...his defense was embarassing to the point there were in-season firings of his DC and DB coach after the Cowboys embarassed them on national TV over thanksgiving day...further the Dolphins toyed with them in the penultimate game of this past season and it was a mis-match all game trying to cope with the Dolphins offense.

Sweat and Young - first round D picks - underperfomed and were dumped in trades bringing back some picks for the rebuild which managment was not going to let him touch.

Another recent-epic defensive blunder - 2023 first round he drafted under-sized Emmanuel Forbes - 6-1 - 166 pounds when he could have drafted Christian Gonzalez who was taken with next pick by the Pats...Forbes had 5 starts - 411 snaps - no PBU - 1 pick -his lite build and tackling ability are highly questionable esp for the 16th overall pick.

get to the Super Bowl once and you are a made man...he game has passed him by......I think his time has come...

McD has been excellent as a d coordinator. if anything he just needs a right hand man to keep him out of his own way at really crucial times. a trusted voice for 13 seconds, or somebody he trusts that would have told him how dumb the second straight zero blitz against Denver was

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Man with No Name said:

McD has been excellent as a d coordinator. if anything he just needs a right hand man to keep him out of his own way at really crucial times. a trusted voice for 13 seconds, or somebody he trusts that would have told him how dumb the second straight zero blitz against Denver was

So... a Head Coach? :lol:

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

So... a Head Coach? :lol:

good point🧐. but i do think McDermott is a good "leader of men" as they say. just needs a little help with analytics in the heat of the moment. An Ernie Adams type. 

And like many others, I do worry about the offensive coordinator turnover that is inevitable whenever Allen is at his best. i think that is my biggest gripe with McD, overall. Not his fault. It's just a reality. Josh is our biggest asset. 

Edited by Man with No Name
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.