Ron Rivera for Bills DC?

kota

33 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't agree with you often but I agree with this. Why would they hire a DC? Unless I suppose it is a DC title but without playcalling

Frazier is again available for that role...

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, kota said:

just saw that Ron Rivera is interested in coaching still and how he missed coaching on a granular level when he took over for Jack Del Rio who was fired mid season.  He also stated he has a few opportunities available.

I think this is a bit interesting.  

Have you been paying no attention? Rivera is TERRIBLE. Not only is his defense bad and nowhere near as creative as McDermott's, but Rivera is also a no-accountability guy. I live in the DC market and it was stunning to see how casual he was about losing.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mister Defense said:

Can you please give us some facts that would in any way support your extremely specific contentions?  How is it 95% likely, and what facts do you have that it is "likely already in the works"?

Obviously you have information to back this up and are not just spewing nonsense that popped into your head one day.

Please share the info and facts that you have, as I am eager to find out what specific information you have for this vital change you indicate is almost a sure thing.

It sounds like you might be interested in subscribing to his newsletter.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, kota said:

just saw that Ron Rivera is interested in coaching still and how he missed coaching on a granular level when he took over for Jack Del Rio who was fired mid season.  He also stated he has a few opportunities available.

I think this is a bit interesting.  

I would hate this idea when you have younger coaches on the staff who probably would be great play callers.  If they fail, McDermott could already take over.  

12 hours ago, Governor said:

McD isn’t really safe yet. He has to beat KC at home or all hell is gonna break loose.

As it should. If we lose this game that's 0-3 in the playoffs vs KC, 1 of which was directly his own massive chokejob assuming this one isn't either, and 3 divisional exits since we made the AFC championship 3 years ago. 

That's a big problem. That is not where we should be with an elite talent at QB. 

Edited by HomeskillitMoorman

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't agree with you often but I agree with this. Why would they hire a DC? Unless I suppose it is a DC title but without playcalling. 

I assume just to split up some of the responsibility to take a bit off of Sean's plate - especially with gameplanning.

3 hours ago, Man with No Name said:

McD has been excellent as a d coordinator. if anything he just needs a right hand man to keep him out of his own way at really crucial times. a trusted voice for 13 seconds, or somebody he trusts that would have told him how dumb the second straight zero blitz against Denver was

This is a fantastic argument for why McD should be a DC and not a Head Coach. 

13 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

I assume just to split up some of the responsibility to take a bit off of Sean's plate - especially with gameplanning.

Yea I can see a DC appointment but it will not be someone to take over from Sean, more to assist him.

McD has been a great DC but if he wants to bring in someone to take the duties off his hands I would not hate brining in Ron Rivera as DC. Rivera coordinated some very strong Bears and Chargers defenses in the 2000’s and then had a fairly successful run with Carolina with McD as the DC for some time. His run with the Commanders was not the best but that organization was very much in flux and he still won a division title in his time there somehow.

Ron has a good grasp of the system and a ton of experience. If McD doesn’t want the DC role then Ron Rivera is a solid choice to replace him.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't agree with you often but I agree with this. Why would they hire a DC? Unless I suppose it is a DC title but without playcalling. 

They need to either hire a DC so Sean can go back to his real job, or he can choose to stay at DC and let Terry hire a Head Coach.

There is a reason that the Offense and Special Teams units come out flat every game and the Defense is the only unit that is fired up and ready to play. 2/3s of the team are missing a Head Coach.

9 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

They need to either hire a DC so Sean can go back to his real job, or he can choose to stay at DC and let Terry hire a Head Coach.

There is a reason that the Offense and Special Teams units come out flat every game and the Defense is the only unit that is fired up and ready to play. 2/3s of the team are missing a Head Coach.

So I would have agreed with that up to the bye. I don't think it has been the case since the bye and I think he has found a better balance for managing the two jobs. 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

So I would have agreed with that up to the bye. I don't think it has been the case since the bye and I think he has found a better balance for managing the two jobs. 

I agree that it has improved since the bye, but special teams are still a mess. Letting the Pats open with a kickoff return TD in week 17 is just ridiculous.

We're trying to be a playoff/Super Bowl team. We need more/better coaches, not this barebones staff. Terry has the money to bring it in, McD has to let go of the vine on one or the other.

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

I agree that it has improved since the bye, but special teams are still a mess. Letting the Pats open with a kickoff return TD in week 17 is just ridiculous.

We're trying to be a playoff/Super Bowl team. We need more/better coaches, not this barebones staff. Terry has the money to bring it in, McD has to let go of the vine on one or the other.

I think the problem on special teams is just that Smiley sucks. Strikes me as a guy who has won a competition.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Have you been paying no attention? Rivera is TERRIBLE. Not only is his defense bad and nowhere near as creative as McDermott's, but Rivera is also a no-accountability guy. I live in the DC market and it was stunning to see how casual he was about losing.

Yeah, I’m not a fan of Ron Rivera. I’ve been critical of Sean McDermott, but the man can coach defense and generally puts together a sound defensive plan.

Hard pass on Rivera.

• Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.