[Vague Title] Officiating

Paul Costa

2 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

A play can be both DH and PI. 
If the player starts holding before the ball is thrown, and continues the hold while ball is in the air, it is both DH and PI. In this play, the refs got it right. The uncatchable ball negated the PI but not the DH. 

Understand, but then why did it take so long to figure out?  The way the whole thing went down it didn't have good optics if you were a Steelers fan.  This thread was about how the officiating went against the Bills, I'm just giving the OP examples of how from the Steelers side, the opposite was true.

Sirius NFL radio this morning said that refs or NY has different angles that we don’t get to see…my question is why don’t we get to see them, if in fact a particular angle shows definitive proof that the ball did in fact hit Freiermuth? The NFL needs to be more transparent, and at the very least we deserve an explanation in real time.

13 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

I

I assumed the rule is that if the fumbling player touches the ball while he is OOB, then ball is considered OOB and play is dead. 

If that’s the rule, it’s a stupid rule. 

it should be if the player possess the ball and he is OOB, then ball is OOB. 

But what if a player is clearly standing up out of bounds a bouncing ball hits him the chest and now goes back into field of play.  If it hadn't hit him it would have landed 5 feet OB, but now it's a live ball.  So to make the rule simple, if it's touched by a player OB, the ball is OB

1 hour ago, KellyToTasker said:

I felt there wasn’t enough there to overturn the call, had it been called a recovery, that would’ve stayed also. 

That said, it was a good challenge. Just put the Bills in a bad spot with no further challenges. 

Refs were even in my opinion. Steelers got away with their own share of calls. 

Better team won. 

This is the problem with officiating and the NFL rules overall especially when it comes to incompletions of fumbles.  They over complicated things so badly that no one knows what a catch or fumble is anymore 

18 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Looked like it touched the helmet to me. I guess that's why it was too close to overturn. I agree with your earlier premise, though, that a turnover/TD auto review needs to happen on plays that could turn into turnovers and TDs, not just the ones that are called that way initially.

Yeah, I didn't have a problem with their decision.  It was close, and the whole point of replay is to fix obvious mistakes. That play wasn't all that obvious.  

• Agree 1

If both fan bases are complaining about the officiating, then it probably means it was an evenly called game. Not all good calls, but just evenly called.

The non I call the Steeler fans are complaining about was 50/50 at best, not an obvious PI call. As Bills fans we all know there have been a lot more obvious pass interferences that have not been called vs the Bills.

• Like (+1) 2

Of all the stupid rules the NFL has.  You only have two challenges one per half and only outside of the two minute warning for each half.

You should be allowed 2 challenges per half.  Regardless if they are successful or not.  You lose a time out if your challenge is unsuccessful and if you loose two challenges in the first half then you should be stripped of the 2 time outs and you loose the ability to challenge in the second half.

This is a much better solution than what they have now.  When you have a correct challenge on your first one, then if your second one is wrong they strip the remaining challenges for the rest of the game.  That is ridiculous.  The officiating in the league this year is such a hodgepodge its a shame that the teams are penalized for trying to correct a referees blown call and a potential game changing outcome the negatively effects the games outcome.

Edited by Toyo321
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dillenger4 said:

The fumble out of bounds call was 100% correct. He actually touched it twice while lying OOB. Get over it... it's football.

The original call was fumble out of bounds so they would have had to see indisputable proof to over turn it which you couldn't see the angle to definitely tell if it touched his helmet or not so they had to stick with the original call it's not to hard to figure out because that's the way it always goes .

But it would have been nice to get the ball back right there .

1 hour ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Both sides can gripe about calls by the refs in this one.  Ultimately, we were the better team and it didn’t matter for us, this week.  Hopefully we don’t get screwed in a closer game the rest of the way.

Agree felt Steelers got some calls early and Bills late. PI should have been called on Jackson just like in the Lions game no call. RT for Pitt was Offside on the first TD. Those were the big missed. Tomlin with the not so subtle anytime you get a big penalty the other scores comment. The fake slide is a joke.. if you on D and you’re planning on him sliding good luck. And when he did you can’t hit him. Disappointed with so many Steelers fans talking refs in a 14 point game. 

• Like (+1) 1

I didn't think there was too much to gripe about.

I don't know if anyone else caught it but thought the RT definitely jumped early on Pitts first TD... either that or the entire rest of line was very slow to get off. Interestingly, they called Pitt on 2 false starts on the next drive, which I thought was there way of saying to them, you are going early. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

The refs basically forced the Bills to use up their challenges before the end of the 1st QTR.  Completely unacceptable.

Every fanbase thinks the refs are screwing them on purpose (and at the league's direction because the league wants them to lose or the other team to win)

2 hours ago, Dillenger4 said:

The fumble out of bounds call was 100% correct. He actually touched it twice while lying OOB. Get over it... it's football.

Not saying you're wrong, but I just didn't see that at all from the replay.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

But what if a player is clearly standing up out of bounds a bouncing ball hits him the chest and now goes back into field of play.  If it hadn't hit him it would have landed 5 feet OB, but now it's a live ball.  So to make the rule simple, if it's touched by a player OB, the ball is OB

Disagreee. It seems like a bad rule to me. 

In your example above, if ball crosses the sideline, it’s OOB. Just like a punt. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

If the ball touches his helmet while he was out of bounds, then the fumble is out of bounds.  That's the rule.  That would make what Cheffers said true.  

Yes that's the rule but what a stupid rule it is. If the ball is in bounds and then an out of bounds player POSSESSES it then it should be deemed out of bounds. Not simply if they touch it. The Steelers player who fumbled it had no idea he even touched the ball (if it actually hit him) let alone possessed it.. In addition the play was not called a fumble in the first place. The officials seemed to not see the obvious fumble. So that should have been the call and Bill's recovery and Pittsburgh should have had to challenge it to say that an out of bounds player touched it, not the Bills. Instead the refs just made up some BS on the spot, No fumble, Yes Fumble oh yeah fumble that was touched by fumbling teams player so no change of possession. Absolutely ridiculous amateur hour officiating. and here's another question. if the player that first touches the ball on a fumble has just gone out of bounds then shouldn't it be illegally touching? (Like players who go out of bounds and then come back in on punt coverage?)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, YattaOkasan said:

Be careful, steelers fans think the refs screwed them.  They are pointing to "fake" Josh slide, late hit, and DPI on 4th down as their examples.  I think they didnt get a TO off Josh like they all thought would happen, so they should just accept they lost.  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Realist said:

If both fan bases are complaining about the officiating, then it probably means it was an evenly called game. Not all good calls, but just evenly called.

The non I call the Steeler fans are complaining about was 50/50 at best, not an obvious PI call. As Bills fans we all know there have been a lot more obvious pass interferences that have not been called vs the Bills.

Two wrongs don’t make a right. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.