Chargers and Harbaugh

So the Chargers can’t let him out of the building, correct?? Have they already met the Rooney Rule requirements? 

Their entire franchise’s future is in the building today and the only way the Chargers should allow out of LA is with a contract. 

1 minute ago, Thrivefourfive said:

So the Chargers can’t let him out of the building, correct?? Have they already met the Rooney Rule requirements? 

Their entire franchise’s future is in the building today and the only way the Chargers should allow out of LA is with a contract. 

There is no chance Spanos pays what he needs to pay to get him out of Michigan. Michigan reportedly offered him 125M to stay. ZERO chance Spanos forks that out for a coach.

Edited by That's No Moon
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 7

Adam Schefter on X: "Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh is meeting later today with the Los Angeles Chargers in his first interview of this hiring cycle, per league sources. A decision is not expected to be imminent for either side. Harbaugh will be deliberate with any decision he makes about his… https://t.co/vRfqUHNdXV" / X (twitter.com)

2 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

There is no chance Spanos pays what he needs to pay to get him out of Michigan. Michigan reportedly offered him 125M to stay. ZERO chance Spanos forks that out for a coach.

Exactly. I feel like this interview is just more of a meeting so Chargers leadership can ask Harbaugh "What would YOU do to fix this?" and get some free consulting disguised as a job interview. :lol:

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

They have interviewed Leslie Frazier and Steve Wilks. That settles the Rooney Rule so they can offer him a job if they wish. 

I also agree that Spanos is not likely to pay what he's going to want. Wouldn't mind it though as it would make the Chiefs life a little more difficult twice a season.

Edited by BuffaloBillyG

Harbaugh would make the Chargers instantly better, but so many negatives with this job.

1. ownership is brutal 

2. same division as mahomes/reid, highly unlikely to win division regularly

3. salary cap situation short-term doesn't seem great 

4. every home game is a neutral site game at best w visiting fans regularly overtaking it

• Agree 4

32 minutes ago, beebe said:

Harbaugh would make the Chargers instantly better, but so many negatives with this job.

1. ownership is brutal 

4. every home game is a neutral site game at best w visiting fans regularly overtaking it

agreed. I think he takes it only because of Herbert. but I don’t see it as more attractive than staying at Michigan.

i also think harbaugh has really morphed into a great college coach. Would be curious to see if he can transition back to more of an NFL style coach. 

41 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

They have interviewed Leslie Frazier and Steve Wilks. That settles the Rooney Rule so they can offer him a job if they wish. 

I also agree that Spanos is not likely to pay what he's going to want. Wouldn't mind it though as it would make the Chiefs life a little more difficult twice a season.

While a good idea, these Rooney Rule interviews always make me laugh. I wonder how the interview with Frazier went.

"Hi Coach, nice to meet you. How was the drive?"

"Pretty good"

"Well thanks for coming. You'll hear from us within the month"

• Angry 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

44 minutes ago, beebe said:

1. ownership is brutal 

Sounds perfect!!  Keep him over in the AFC West!

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

If he gets them winning they would make that salary back no problem. They literally can’t afford to not pay him. 

43 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

While a good idea, these Rooney Rule interviews always make me laugh. I wonder how the interview with Frazier went.

"Hi Coach, nice to meet you. How was the drive?"

"Pretty good"

"Well thanks for coming. You'll hear from us within the month"

No doubt.

If you turn down the best coaching possibility because of skin color that just hurts the team.

These forced interviews are bad.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

I think the Chargers is a worse job than many do. But it has the best QB situation. So how do you balance that? 

If I was Harbaugh I woukd make sure I have spoken to every team with an interest before I make a decision. He has more negotiating power now than he ever will again.

People around Michigan believe Harbaugh truly wants to stay and be the winningest coach ever at Michigan to do that he’d have to beat Bo Schembechlers wins which currently sits at 194 he has 89 so he’d have to average around 8 or 9 wins a year for the next 15 years or so  which is doable with Michigans talent. 
So Michigan will match any financial offer given to him it’s whether or not he truly feels the Super Bowl is the last frontier for him cause if he does that pretty much ends any hope of him catching Bo being he is now in his 60s. 
So it’s a big decision indeed. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

People around Michigan believe Harbaugh truly wants to stay and be the winningest coach ever at Michigan to do that he’d have to beat Bo Schembechlers wins which currently sits at 194 he has 89 so he’d have to average around 8 or 9 wins a year for the next 15 years or so  which is doable with Michigans talent. 
So Michigan will match any financial offer given to him it’s whether or not he truly feels the Super Bowl is the last frontier for him cause if he does that pretty much ends any hope of him catching Bo being he is now in his 60s. 
So it’s a big decision indeed. 

On the flip side if he goes back to the NFL and wins a Super Bowl then he can say I won a Super Bowl and a National Championship. Not too many coaches can say that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Now THERE'S equity for ya!  And be sure to put their pics in the tweet so everyone knows you checked the box (with TWO different guys, to make it look sincere)

Edited by Dan Darragh
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, beebe said:

1. ownership is brutal 

I think for head coaches these factors don’t matter as much as control, pay and QB situation. If the Chargers are going to give him complete responsibility organizational control and the money he wants while looking at a good QB situation he is going to take the job. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.