Congratulations Miami

On 1/13/2024 at 11:44 PM, BullBuchanan said:

They're a good team and generally well coached, though I do question the gameplan they've been using the last few weeks. Tua played scared all day it seemed, making lots of throws to players that weren't in a position to move the ball.

It'll be interesting to see an all-22 breakdown of this one.

Not sure Tua is good enough to get it done for them unless they're able to snag a #1 seed.

They play scared becuase they know their QB is one hit or concussion away from being retired from the game. Even if not, I agree with completely, Tua is not the guy 

Edited by ren1701

They can't play in the cold and that's a problem. Unless they get homefield advantage in future seasons then they will have to play in the cold at some point. Look at the AFC teams with open air stadiums where cold, snow, wind can play a factor. Buffalo, New England, New York, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Baltimore. At some point they are going to play in the cold every season.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, FireChans said:

I think he’s a good QB. Chargers having one of the worst defenses in football and his best weapons being an old as dirt RB and an old as dirt WR isn’t his fault.

The Chargers find new ways to lose -- and invent new ones when they need them.  I think it's part of their DNA.  They've spent most of the 21st century disappointing their fans.  They wasted Phillip Rivers' prime years as a pro QB with their incompetence.  They appear ready to waste Justin Herbert's best years as well.

8 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

They will technically have the ability, but they absolutely won't use it until they franchise him at least once. So they are "stuck" even if it's techncially by their own doing, because that's the forced meta. Teams just don't get rid of franchise level QBs in their prime, even if they aren't good enough to win it all.

Up until this season there was similar criticism lobbed at Lamar Jackson, Dak (and there might be again soon, despite a near MVP season), and yes even Josh Allen. It doesn't mean any of those teams are getting rid of their star QBs any time soon, because it just doesn't happen without a massive stroke of luck.

They have him at a reasonable $23M for the 2024 season.  If he gets injured or continues to show he's a limited QB, they can move on.  It won't be easy or ideal, but it's a better alternative than overpaying a guy who isn't that guy.

On 1/13/2024 at 10:44 PM, NeverOutNick said:

I did chuckle a little, but honestly until we beat the Chiefs in the playoffs and make it to a Super Bowl ourselves with this coaching regime, I’m not talking any smack.

Yah it sucks making it to the play offs for the last 5 yrs in a row and winning the AFC east 4 of those 5 ! Nothin to be happy about here !! 

Dam i just wish they had a better coaching staff and front office that because of their moves could have enough depth despite the injuries that could help bring the Bills back from a .500 season to make it to the play offs & because of being in the tournament have a chance to win it all !

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

Loaded roster? Who is it loaded with?

where do you rank him among QB’s? Higher than Derek Carr? Higher than Baker Mayfield? 

because I got news for you, that puts him squarely approaching the top 10 lol

Khalil Mack, Joey Bosa, Derwin James, Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Austin Ekeler, Rashawn Slater...

Their preseason win total O/U this season was 9.5.  They won 5.  They were 5-8 when he played, and one of those wins was 6-0.  

I'll take Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Jackson, Stroud, Love, Stafford, Goff, Dak, Tua, Purdy, Cousins, and Hurts over him.  To me, he's there with Carr, Lawrence, and Wilson.

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

They can't play in the cold and that's a problem. Unless they get homefield advantage in future seasons then they will have to play in the cold at some point. Look at the AFC teams with open air stadiums where cold, snow, wind can play a factor. Buffalo, New England, New York, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Baltimore. At some point they are going to play in the cold every season.

Kansas City says "Hi"

Denver says "Yo"

Even Tennessee says "sometimes"

In other words, I agree with your point, but its scope needs broadened, because 10 of the 16 teams in the AFC play in open air stadia where cold and weather can play a part late in the season/playoffs.

That's actually in contrast to the NFC where it's - 5 teams, maybe?  Giants, Eagles, Packers, Bears, Commanders?

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Billl said:

Khalil Mack, Joey Bosa, Derwin James, Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Austin Ekeler, Rashawn Slater...

Their preseason win total O/U this season was 9.5.  They won 5.  They were 5-8 when he played, and one of those wins was 6-0.  

I'll take Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Jackson, Stroud, Love, Stafford, Goff, Dak, Tua, Purdy, Cousins, and Hurts over him.  To me, he's there with Carr, Lawrence, and Wilson.

You’re naming a lot of defensive players too. Their defense has been 29th, 21st and 24th in points allowed. Do you think Herbert coaches defense or something?

Mike Williams has missed 18 games over the last two seasons lol.

Their team has a lot of defensive cap dollars and a terrible defense. That has absolutely NOTHING to do with Herbert lol. You’re making my point for me.

42 minutes ago, FireChans said:

You’re naming a lot of defensive players too. Their defense has been 29th, 21st and 24th in points allowed. Do you think Herbert coaches defense or something?

Their team has a lot of defensive cap dollars and a terrible defense. That has absolutely NOTHING to do with Herbert lol. You’re making my point for me.

That defense gave them a plus 5 turnover advantage in the point time this great QB managed to make the playoffs.  He still lost.

19 minutes ago, Billl said:

That defense gave them a plus 5 turnover advantage in the point time this great QB managed to make the playoffs.  He still lost.

They had one of the worst coaches in the NFL.

Tua could barely complete a pass two days ago, and we're talking about losing in the playoffs with Herbert? Ooookay.

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

I think Mike Williams is really meh too. He does not separate at all. 

4 hours ago, Gregg said:

While I totally agree about their fear of the weather, right now they won’t get over a hump because they can’t beat good teams.

The Cowboys signed sealed and delivered their only win verses a good team. The Jets and Patriots getting better doesn’t really hurt the Bills yet.. we split with them this season.. it’s the Dolphins that will be hurt by a more competitive division. 

It’s a very strange thing. West coast and southern teams just look so out of place in the Northeast playoff games. Last year, the 49ers crumbled in Philly. Some teams usually look awful in cold games, like the Saints in their road games in the Brees era. 

In the 1980s, I think San Francisco won a road playoff game in Chicago, I think in 1988(?), but in their Washington, Giants games they looked so out of place. Montana was a PA, South Bend guy who played freezing ass home games at Candlestick, but when it’s 0, he looked like an old man in a cabin.

I would never ever ever expect Miami to be able to handle the elements. There’s just too just fun stuff for this guys to get into in Miami South Beach. They’ll always expect champagne service. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

They separate when the ball is near with their catch radius. Christian Watson is big and fast. Quinton Johnson will be this way. AJ Brown, Metcalf.

Yea AJ and DK streets ahead of a Mike Williams. The other two still potential. Watson needs to stay healthy. Johnstone needs to prove it. He has been disappointing as a rookie.

On 1/14/2024 at 12:46 AM, BullBuchanan said:

What are you gonna do? It's not like they can draft a QB this year after Tua led the league in yards, and a coach's leash is very short. It's almost impossible for them to move on from Tua barring injury for at least 2-3 years. It's just not a thing that happens in the NFL unless you have a late round pick that turns into a super star due to injury.

Unfortunately a certain fan base benefited from this very scenario. 

🤢

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea AJ and DK streets ahead of a Mike Williams. The other two still potential. Watson needs to stay healthy. Johnstone needs to prove it. He has been disappointing as a rookie.

Johnston was, especially with injuries to Williams and Allen. But that was the knock in the draft - not ready yet. Watson needs to improve on being an all around receiver, like winning jump balls. But man does he flash. The Packers are LOADED at receiver HAHA cracks me up because when Rodgers was there the receiver room was always a question mark.

AJ and DK do it with less than great passer talent. Imagine them with guys like Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Stroud. 

6 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

😆

Is that what Elam is supposed to be? 🤭

• Like (+1) 1

Johnston was, especially with injuries to Williams and Allen. But that was the knock in the draft - not ready yet. Watson needs to improve on being an all around receiver, like winning jump balls. But man does he flash. The Packers are LOADED at receiver HAHA cracks me up because when Rodgers was there the receiver room was always a question mark.

AJ and DK do it with less than great passer talent. Imagine them with guys like Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Stroud. 

I was a huge Watson guy. He has flashed. His issue is staying on the field. I was a bit less of a Johnston guy. The thing with him was he always played smaller than his size. For such a big guy he was bad above the rim. Way too many body catches. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I was a huge Watson guy. He has flashed. His issue is staying on the field. I was a bit less of a Johnston guy. The thing with him was he always played smaller than his size. For such a big guy he was bad above the rim. Way too many body catches. 

I didn’t know that about Johnston. If that catch radius isn’t there then he’s just another Mike Williams, do you think? I would downgrade Herbert if that’s the case. In fact, Herbert is going to lose everything very quickly here, and his OLine still stinks. 

I didn’t know that about Johnston. If that catch radius isn’t there then he’s just another Mike Williams, do you think? I would downgrade Herbert if that’s the case. In fact, Herbert is going to lose everything very quickly here, and his OLine still stinks. 

So I think he has speed that Williams doesn't have which allows him to win downfield but he doesn't play about the rim or win contested catches the way Williams can. Almost what you really want is them to mate and have a baby wide receiver with the best bits of both and that guy would be a top 10 receiver..... I failed biology class btw.

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

So I think he has speed that Williams doesn't have which allows him to win downfield but he doesn't play about the rim or win contested catches the way Williams can. Almost what you really want is them to mate and have a baby wide receiver with the best bits of both and that guy would be a top 10 receiver..... I failed biology class btw.

No, I think you’ve got it. This is California. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.