Fish FANS think it's unsafe to play in the cold....ironic?

Matt_In_NH

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

Are Americans becoming wusses?  

When I grew up as a millennial in the suburbs of Buffalo, we used to play tackle football on the street in the winter with just the snow for cushioning.  But kids today don't care much about sports.  

According to a 2021 study, "only 23% of Generation Z describe themselves as passionate sports fans, as opposed to 42% of millennials, 33% of Generation X and 31% of baby boomers."

Sports originated as a way to hone warrior skills like wrestling, throwing, and running.  To survive, a nation needs its warriors, and a love of sports keeps the warrior spirit alive.  

But maybe the young kids today are a different breed of warriors: soft physically perhaps but proficient at a keyboard.  

www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/gen-z-doesnt-care-about-sports-thats-part-of-a-bigger-problem/ar-AA1mzQJ5

Maybe it's just me, but you don't really see kids outside playing much anymore. Very young kids maybe, but once the first Xbox is purchased forget about it.  I can't remember the last time I saw a football game being played in the park or in a field somewhere. 

We would have done the same, so no judgement there. But when we were kids growing up in the sticks there was nothing else to do, so you went outside and found some way to have fun. 

When your world is frozen farm fields covered in snow and all you've got is a football or basketball (which is no good in the slipery weather) you play football and try to catch with gloves on!

Edited by TheFunPolice

2 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

The replies to this topic in their forum are pretty gold as well. To their credit, most of the responses to that OP offer up some version of "need to suck it up and not be like the whiny Bills fans complaining about the heat down here" 😆.

Agree the reality is the whiny biatches are a minority.   They can only blame themselves. They had a stranglehold on the division.  

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

If the Fins have Mostert available their run game is better than KC.  Suck it up and deal with it.

You sure about that, abstractly?

TBH I haven't delved into the Chiefs run game, but their passing game is not as scary to opponents as it has been in previous years.

But the Fins run game is all based upon getting teams to fear their super-fast passing game then running into the resulting confusion.

The wind is forecast to be reasonably light - 10 to 12 mph.  So if the Dolphins can get their passing game going, they can run better than the Chiefs.  But I don't think they have much run game based on 'teams know we're gonna run, and they can't stop us'.  Hill obviously knows how to play in KC.

The Dolphins, in theory, have a much better passing defense than the Chiefs, but it may be because in some games they get a lead and they know what's coming?

• Agree 1

the most dangerous part of the cold is Dolphins players acting all tough saying they won't wear sleeves, Tua saying he isn't going to wear any gloves, etc. 

That's just pride messing with you. Dress for the conditions and once the game starts you'll be fine. But be dumb and expose your arms and hands to that type of cold to prove a point is amateur hour. 

3 hours ago, jimmy10 said:

They would only have the right to complain if KC used a weather machine to focus all the snow and wind on the Fish sideline. 

Agreed.

I think teams should be allowed to bring whatever equipment they need for player comfort and safety on the sideline.  For for Buffalo, this would mean we could bring sun shades and water misters when we play in Miami in September.  For Miami, they can bring seat heaters and whatever they need to stay warm on the sideline in cold weather games.

Beyond that, everything should be equal on the actual playing field and the weather or elements will affect both team equally and indiscriminately.  I really don't know why the NFL hasn't evolved their sideline equipment policy because there are certainly VERY LEGITIMTE player safety concerns.  The Bills playing in 112 degree heat in Miami isn't safe- just as it wouldn't be safe to stand around in -25 windchill for the Miami and Chiefs players this weekend.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

I don’t think it’s the heat that is the problem. 

It’s the fact that only one team has to deal with extreme heat and it’s not the Dolphins. 

Exactly.  It would be slightly analogous if the KC sideline was protected from the wind and had heat lamps for the spectators lining the rail at the edge of the field that provided some reflective heat to the players, and under-field heaters, while the Miami sideline was exposed to the wind and had packed snow and ice lining the rail and ground.

From experience growing up in Buffalo and then winter camping in the Adirondacks and White Mountains (NH) ..... then moving to Missouri and dealing with Midwestern summers -  the German saying "there is no such thing as bad weather, only unsuitable clothing" has truth to it when applied to cold weather.  People can dress to be safe, if not comfortable, living in the Arctic.  

In theory it's possible to have cooling clothes for summer with cold packs and fans built in, but it's much more difficult especially when you have to wear protective gear like shoulder pads, kidney pads, thigh pads, and helmet.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

so much of this is mental, really

The more you build it up as a big thing the more you'll notice it. 

I do a lot of work outside in the winter and thee ae days where I'm out working on something in the weather and don't even realize it's 5 or 10 degrees out. In fact, I'm out there sweating and wanting to take my hat off. 

Then there's days where it's 25 and I'm more aware of the cold and take more precautions expecting it to to feel cold, and surprise! It does. 

17 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I picked the Chiefs but still won't be surprised if Miami wins despite the weather issues, especially looking at what they did in Buffalo last year with a similar beat up team starting a rookie 3rd string QB.

That game should have been a blowout. The close score was more about the Bills' screw-ups than how "well" Miami played.

With that said, however, you may still be right since the Chiefs have found ways to ***** defeat from the jaws of victory a few times this season. But again, it'll be dependent on the Chiefs playing poorly. If both teams bring their A-games, Miami watches the rest of the playoffs in their warm, cozy living rooms.

6 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

I don’t feel sorry for anyone but it seems the NFL could have used some common sense and made this game the early game so that there is some sun. 

Now we want the NFL to predict weather?

Only thing they could possibly do is have neutral site playoff games.

4 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Are Americans becoming wusses?  

When I grew up as a millennial in the suburbs of Buffalo, we used to play tackle football on the street in the winter with just the snow for cushioning.  But kids today don't care much about sports.  

According to a 2021 study, "only 23% of Generation Z describe themselves as passionate sports fans, as opposed to 42% of millennials, 33% of Generation X and 31% of baby boomers."

Sports originated as a way to hone warrior skills like wrestling, throwing, and running.  To survive, a nation needs its warriors, and a love of sports keeps the warrior spirit alive.  

But maybe the young kids today are a different breed of warriors: soft physically perhaps but proficient at a keyboard.  

www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/gen-z-doesnt-care-about-sports-thats-part-of-a-bigger-problem/ar-AA1mzQJ5

And higher IQ.  I grew up in the 80's and played tackle football anywhere we had open space which sometimes was the street in the winter like you said.   Kids today have so many more things to do at home.

https://humanprogress.org/trends/iq-scores-rising-massively/#:~:text=In the course of the,the mean score to 100.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Reminds me during Covid when the NHL had their entire playoffs in a bubble. I think all the games were played in Edmonton and Toronto. Weird with no fans in attendance.

6 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Some people have become such wusses.  Last year it was Bills fans about the heat, now it's the Dolphins fans who thought that was ridiculous to complain about.  It is an advantage for the Chiefs, the Dolphins have little chance in this game but they only have themselves to blame.

https://finheaven.com/threads/this-is-a-joke.382147/

Hahaha....can't make this stuff up. Chiefs are going to curbstomp them. Miami will quit. 

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The playoff schedule was determined less than a week ago. Seems like they could’ve checked the weather report.

Plus the other game is in dome.  It is not like it is two outdoor games in northeast and/or upper mid west.   They had all the flexibility in the world. 

Just now, BillsfaninSB said:

The playoff schedule was determined less than a week ago. Seems like they could’ve checked the weather report.

Plus the other game is in dome.  It is not like it is two outdoor games in northeast and/or upper mid west.   They had all the flexibility in the world. 

The weather changed recently. It was windy and cold with some snow just a couple days. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

so much of this is mental, really

The more you build it up as a big thing the more you'll notice it. 

I do a lot of work outside in the winter and thee ae days where I'm out working on something in the weather and don't even realize it's 5 or 10 degrees out. In fact, I'm out there sweating and wanting to take my hat off. 

Then there's days where it's 25 and I'm more aware of the cold and take more precautions expecting it to to feel cold, and surprise! It does. 

It really is.  One of our mechanics used to say "cold is a case of mind over matter.  if you don't have a mind...it doesn't matter."  LOL

I was reading this fascinating book about WWII called "Night Witches".  It's about the Soviet 588th Night Bomber Regiment during WW II.  For those unfamiliar, this was an all-female regiment using, basically, cloth and wood biplanes that were converted to carry 2 bombs each.  They staged just behind Soviet lines and would fly by ded reckoning (compass and time) over German lines, cut their engines and glide down (basically, undetectable because they couldn't be picked up on radar or heard), drop bombs, and fly back to base for a reload.  Their all-women ground crews would re-arm the planes, working in bitter cold Soviet winters and sometimes needing to work without gloves in weather so cold skin would freeze to metal instantly.  They would fly 8 to 18 missions a night.  They were so feared, any Nazi pilot who shot one down was automatically awarded a medal.

The more I read, the more it was "holy crap, what people can endure when they put their minds to it".  Incredible story.

• Like (+1) 4

People seem to forget that we're warm blooded creatures. The cold isn't going to kill you unless you're stranded and exposed.

It's the heat that will actually kill you no matter where you are or what you're doing.

As warm-blooded mammals, we thrive in the cold. 

Maybe the lizard people have infiltrated our society enough that there is a legit concern for them, I don't know.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The weather changed recently. It was windy and cold with some snow just a couple days. 

True, It has worsen a bit but @bigturk posted this right after the Bills game.   The NFL had some idea. 

Uh no...KC has a high of 14 and low of 4 on Saturday. At 8pm, temps likely in single digits with negative windchills

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

You sure about that, abstractly?

TBH I haven't delved into the Chiefs run game, but their passing game is not as scary to opponents as it has been in previous years.

But the Fins run game is all based upon getting teams to fear their super-fast passing game then running into the resulting confusion.

The wind is forecast to be reasonably light - 10 to 12 mph.  So if the Dolphins can get their passing game going, they can run better than the Chiefs.  But I don't think they have much run game based on 'teams know we're gonna run, and they can't stop us'.  Hill obviously knows how to play in KC.

The Dolphins, in theory, have a much better passing defense than the Chiefs, but it may be because in some games they get a lead and they know what's coming?

I’ll take Achane and Mostert over the Chiefs run game

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

I would think that Peacock was given the choice of which game they wanted, since they ponied up so much cash for the right to have this exclusive.  And the Peacock game was always going to be Saturday night.

The NFL in general LOVES these games in bad weather.  Makes for great TV, especially in places that don't really experience winter.  

4 hours ago, Beck Water said:

From experience growing up in Buffalo and then winter camping in the Adirondacks and White Mountains (NH) ..... then moving to Missouri and dealing with Midwestern summers -  the German saying "there is no such thing as bad weather, only unsuitable clothing" has truth to it when applied to cold weather.  

I heard this from my former distributor in Stockholm.  Because of this, I figured it was Scandinavian.  But it resonated coming from someone who lives with bad weather more than most of us.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.