Shakir needs to get the ball more

Scott7975

I disagree with the approach that "we need to get __________ more involved in the passing game"    We have the kind of quarterback that knows where the hot reads are and is good at improvising.  We saw what happened when Brady tried to force Stef into the passing game about a month ago with those screens that were an obvious example of over-gameplanning and it cost us several possessions.

Get the ball to wherever Josh decides the coverage dictates, and if there's a scramble/play extension it goes to the guy he can see that is reacting properly to the qb and presenting a decent target.

Shakir and Kincaid are our top two receivers for the past month when the game is on the line, and next week it could be Steph and Knox, or even Cookie.

Shakir is awesome and still learning, like Kincaid, but they seem to be very sticky handed when it comes to clutch catches and will be getting plenty of targets along the way.  Both fast with good YAC for a slot and TE, these guys are the future of our team and have proven it lately.

Go Bills !

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

From a YAC/R and hands perspective he is.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree here.  If we can get Shakir the ball 30 yards downfield, I will take that over a dumpoff to Cook every time.  Even if Cook was the most amazing ever, more often than not he is not making up those 30 yards.  I do love Cook in the area you refer to but Im still taking that 30 yards every time.

I don't think most limit "best offensive weapon" to those criteria.  Outside of Josh, Diggs is still the best weapon, despite his rough 2 months.  Shakir is a guy you surprise a Defense with now and then.

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I don't think most limit "best offensive weapon" to those criteria.  Outside of Josh, Diggs is still the best weapon, despite his rough 2 months.  Shakir is a guy you surprise a Defense with now and then.

Shakir is our most reliable and most explosive weapon by a country mile.  Diggs is our most elite weapon, but his play has been off for half the year now.

Love me some Shakir.  Best YAC guy we've had in quite some time.  He needs the ball more.  Averaging 53.6 ypg over the last 10 and that includes the goose egg he put up against Dallas.  He's arrived as a top end No. 3 receiver, in my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

You want to get the ball to your playmakers first. Shakir is doing fine in his role

Shakir is easily the best playmaker on this team. Nobody has made big plays on consistent basis more than him.

Edit: no response, typical

Edited by gobills404
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

This dude is our most explosive playmaker. Shakir currently ranks 4th in the league in yards after catch per reception with a whopping 7.6.  Only Kittle, Rashee Rice, and Deebo are higher than that.  His expected is 4.6 which means he gets 3 more yards than he is expected to get.  The next best Bill on the list is Kincaid at 4.5 yac/r expected 4.3.  

Shakir also leads the league in catch% at 86.7%.  We need to get Shakir the ball more.  He is our best offensive weapon.  What a value draft pick this was. 

he reminds me of Andre Reed when he would leave people in the dust on those crossing routes. no one else on the Bills offense really runs away from people like he does.

Edited by Robert Paulson
  • Agree 2

I hope we can see this great young player reach his full potential in Buffalo because he will be great. His ability to get open and make clutch catches is becoming critical to our winning games. I think he could be our #2 or a better slot receiver than Beasley at his best.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Allen is really struggling throwing the ball laterally with accuracy. Great stuff by Shakir. 

6 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

Agreed! Sit Davis.

These players are not interchangeable. They do entirely different things in terms of skill sets. An increase in Shakir snaps would likely mean less Kincaid/Knox/Gilliam etc 

I saw a tweet earlier but lost it related to Kincaid, Shakir and Cook so I crunched the numbers myself.

They have accounted for 2,861 yards from scrimmage of their 6518 yards on the season.  That accounts for 43.8% of the bills total yards this season.  Just need another WR in round 1 to get the youth movement going full steam.

Edited by The Wiz
  • Like (+1) 4

9 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m not sure if he’s our ‘best weapon’ but I’d like to see the Bills start trusting the new guys a bit more. They’ve relied on Diggs and Davis, and Knox for years now…and for good reason. But…it’s time for the natural evolution to Shakir, Kincaid, and someone else (draft pick?) going forward. 

I mean, I don’t know the calls vs the performance but I do wonder why he’s had to work so hard to get gabe Davis levels of trust who seems to have a lot of challenges 

I’d be fascinated to talk to the OCs involved about the WR room 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Poor man’s Bease who could end eventually make Bease a poor man Shakir. I love his quickness. Great make up for a slot guy. He works out with Moulds in the off-season as well and I’m a hooker for some Moulds.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m not sure if he’s our ‘best weapon’ but I’d like to see the Bills start trusting the new guys a bit more. They’ve relied on Diggs and Davis, and Knox for years now…and for good reason. But…it’s time for the natural evolution to Shakir, Kincaid, and someone else (draft pick?) going forward. 

I wish we could add Cook to this list, but he is still hit or miss, especially with those recent drops.

54 minutes ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

I wish we could add Cook to this list, but he is still hit or miss, especially with those recent drops.

Drops and fumbles. Also as fast as Cook is, he always looks slow with the ball to me. I think he lacks initial burst or something and has to ramp his speed.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.