The Gabe Davis conversation (Allen with and without Gabe)

Einstein

13 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Why, because it happens over and over with Gabe.  Allen threw it to a spot where Gabe was going.  Watch the play.  He looks at Davis and throws it.  

https://www.miamidolphins.com/video/eli-apple-intercepts-josh-allen-in-the-end-zone

So that means you know 100% on that option route, that Gabe was wrong because a few times in the season they miscommunicated?

That's your strong evidence?

Why aren't you talking about 3rd down where Allen missed Cook in the flat or Kincaid in the back of the end zone?  Warner breaks down that play in the thread on this first page.  Have you watched it?  It has some negatives about Allen that you will HATE.  But he also talks about other issues.

16 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

It was an all out blitz with guys closing in on Allen. He didn't have the luxury of confirming that Davis was where HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN. 

You do have the option to say - they 0 blitzed and my first read wasn't there.. and i didn't get to the other side of the field... so i threw it away... and took the points.  

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, Einstein said:

Whether that be because Allen assumes Gabe will do the wrong thing so he pattern matches, or 

How bad is it that this actually sounds plausible, good grief.. lol 

I think Gabe goes to a run heavy team like Balt or San Fran, where his skills will be put to good use. Who knows maybe a coach like Shanny even finds ways to scheme him open and unlocks his full potential. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

How bad is it that this actually sounds plausible, good grief.. lol 

I think Gabe goes to a run heavy team like Balt or San Fran, where his skills will be put to good use. Who knows maybe a coach like Shanny even finds ways to scheme him open and unlocks his full potential. 

They aren’t paying that guy what he wants.  He can go there for 3-5M aav though.  

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

They aren’t paying that guy what he wants.  He can go there for 3-5M aav though.  

It’s possible some receiver starved team overpays him on a big contract, but if his market is as milquetoast as his play has been, he might go to a team like the 9’ers on a one year deal exactly in that 3-5 mil range in the hopes of proving he can put a truly strong season together for a monster payday after. 

1 minute ago, Yobogoya! said:

It’s possible some receiver starved team overpays him on a big contract, but if his market is as milquetoast as his play has been, he might go to a team like the 9’ers on a one year deal exactly in that 3-5 mil range in the hopes of proving he can put a truly strong season together for a monster payday after. 

I agree he’ll probably get paid by some WR starved team.  Niners and ravens, nah

Let someone else pay Gabe 13.5 mil:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/gabriel-davis-47723/market-value/

I will miss his blocking but I’d like to think we could get a legit WR2 (not one who shows up 2-3 games a season) and a blocking WR/or one of our two TEs to scheme up to block. As Collinsworth said (I know, I know) we did a good job running those legal rub routes with our other WRs.  I’d pay him a salary that would insult him but values his true worth.

Or, spend Gabe’s money elsewhere in FA and draft a WR2 and then a S.  

Edited by biggerdaddynj

1 hour ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

You do have the option to say - they 0 blitzed and my first read wasn't there.. and i didn't get to the other side of the field... so i threw it away... and took the points.  

True but that isn't who Allen is and IMO will never be.  And over the course of a season his aggressiveness will lead to far more points on the scoreboard then he leaves on the field.

25 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

True but that isn't who Allen is and IMO will never be.  And over the course of a season his aggressiveness will lead to far more points on the scoreboard then he leaves on the field.

They 0 blitz because it takes away the run threat on 3rd down and the red zone.  Other teams will do this if he continues to make reckless decisions in those situations.  The routes need to be shorter and quicker, they need to continue to use those WR screens to punish the opponent, and the ball needs to be out quicker in those situations.  I don't think it was a good playcall for the situation either fwiw.    

In the video (0:15 Baldinger video) Gabe is already turning OUT. This is long before Josh has released the ball. Josh saw Gabe turn out so he threw it out.

If the hot read is an IN then why did Gabe try to fake the CB with an out first and confuse Josh?

Josh reacted to what Gabe was doing. Unless they both knew the route was a fake out and then turn in, this is on Gabe. Look at the video and see Gabe turning out long before Josh has thrown the ball. Given the numbers the OP posted about a higher percentage of mistakes happening with Gabe, it's logical to draw the conclusion why.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 1/7/2024 at 11:28 PM, Einstein said:

Before Gabe was hurt

Allen: 4/8 (50%), 67 yards, 0 TD, 2 INT

AFTER Gabe left the game

Allen: 26/30 (87%), 360 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT

Did you know?

Over the past two seasons, a little under 40% of Allen's interceptions occur when targeting Gabe Davis? Yet, Davis is not targeting very much...

15.2% of the targets, and 38% of the INT's.

And no, I am not saying that Gabe Davis is the sole reason of blame for our offensive failures. Not at all. But for whatever reason, he and Allen are NOT on the same page, and it doesn't seem to be getting better. 

They need to let him go after this year. He's not good. 

I had a dream that a UB professor invented a time machine and went back to the 90s and offered Reed and Lofton $4 million/year contracts to come play for the 2024 Bills.  Beane was so happy with the deals, he sent the inventor further back in time to offer $1 million contracts to Bobby Chandler and Elbert Dubenion.  Gabe was replaced on the cheap.

In the real world, I don't think Gabe's a quality #2 but that doesn't mean necessarily that he's not the best available option for the price.  It'll be another interesting offseason.  

On 1/8/2024 at 12:28 AM, Einstein said:

Before Gabe was hurt

Allen: 4/8 (50%), 67 yards, 0 TD, 2 INT

AFTER Gabe left the game

Allen: 26/30 (87%), 360 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT

Did you know?

Over the past two seasons, a little under 40% of Allen's interceptions occur when targeting Gabe Davis? Yet, Davis is not targeting very much...

15.2% of the targets, and 38% of the INT's.

And no, I am not saying that Gabe Davis is the sole reason of blame for our offensive failures. Not at all. But for whatever reason, he and Allen are NOT on the same page, and it doesn't seem to be getting better. 

But, but…Playoff Gabe…Big Game Gabe…you don’t watch the games. 😂🤣

Those were some of the excuses I heard when I called out Davis in the offseason and said we needed a better #2 WR. With being on the team for four years, there’s no reason why Gabe shouldn’t be on the same page as Allen. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/10/2024 at 9:09 AM, NewEra said:

I disagree.  Bigger WR had the smaller CB apple on his back.  Just turn and body him out.  If he would’ve done that, it was a perfect pass.  Low and only where the War could get a hand on it

This is also true.  Gabe seems to have a knack for being in the wrong place at the right time.

On 1/10/2024 at 9:29 AM, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

That's how it looked to me.  Based on where and when Allen threw the ball, he anticipated Davis would plant and turn around and the ball would have been right there.  Instead Davis planted and then cut to the right.  It's an obvious miscommunication or misunderstanding on a Cover 0 blitz beater.   Unfortunately, it's something that is too frequent between the two.  I'm pretty confident that if Davis simply planted and turned around, that would have been a TD or incomplete pass at worse.

Regardless; it's something they need to fix. 

the fix is obvious, keep Davis where he was for the 2nd half of the Phins game and he’s good.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/8/2024 at 6:26 PM, Richard Noggin said:

He admittedly looks like an awesome teammate out there. His guys really do love him. 

That’s cool. We call those types Equipment Managers. You know.. can’t play a lick, but what to be involved, and the players like him.

This is who the Bills have as a team captain. 

On 1/10/2024 at 8:14 AM, Nephilim17 said:

In the video (0:15 Baldinger video) Gabe is already turning OUT. This is long before Josh has released the ball. Josh saw Gabe turn out so he threw it out.

If the hot read is an IN then why did Gabe try to fake the CB with an out first and confuse Josh?

Josh reacted to what Gabe was doing. Unless they both knew the route was a fake out and then turn in, this is on Gabe. Look at the video and see Gabe turning out long before Josh has thrown the ball. Given the numbers the OP posted about a higher percentage of mistakes happening with Gabe, it's logical to draw the conclusion why.

And this is on Josh for not recognizing that THAT’S Gabe Davis… the most lost WR in his arsenal. 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 1/8/2024 at 7:44 PM, Scott7975 said:

Davis was actually breaking outside when Allen threw it.  Davis then spun and turned towards the inside while the ball was in the air.  The ball was at the spot Davis broke to initially.  Josh was out of time at that point.  It wasn't a guess from Allen.  Its where Davis was going when Allen released the ball.  Davis didn't even look for the ball until after he turned, broke back inside, and it was already intercepted.

Yes and I don’t think any of us now the option reads for the play call, but one thing that is a universal for receivers, especially in the red zone, is to get your head around looking for the ball and otherwise have eyes on the qb out of your break.  I put it on Gabe and I like him but it’s hard to deny that interceptions happen way too much on passes to him and he has inconsistent tenacity in fighting for contested passes that may not be perfect throws.  It seems to me Gabe works hard and may even be right where Josh guesses wrong at times, but as someone said earlier they just aren’t on the same page enough. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/9/2024 at 9:05 PM, DCofNC said:

I think you are.  It was a blitz, the hot route typically turns inside, quicker throw opportunity.  I’m not sure why JA assumed he was going to settle down at the top of the route and that means maybe we are both wrong.

1 on 1 bigger body box out where if the wr plants and comes back towards the ball there is a good chance it’s an easy td.

Edited by Ayjent

whatever gabe the player's next contract turns out to be....he ain't worth it

gabe and josh are not on the same page and never will be

the bills can't afford him.....he will be a cap casualty

addition by subtraction....whoever the next wr2 is, the team will be better off

Josh and Gabe are pals. Josh has irrational confidence in him

there are two basic Gabe-isms, pressure exaggerates:

1) wrong way gabe  “win hot route”

2) toss the ball up for Gabe “win jumper”

Josh confidence in Gabe is misplaced due to friendship. 

p.s. sure, a pal, a blocker—-but these are very low priority attributes for a WR2

Edited by Since1981

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.