Khalil Shakir's 500 yard season

GunnerBill

1 hour ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I think Beane would admit that they needed to do more the past few seasons. IMO they instead chose to upgrade the OL and took some shorts at some low tier FAs, he missed. Cant fix it all at once. The OL is intact at least through next season. Next year HAS to be the year, and they should double down and grab two 

Beane chose to address the guard position last offseason. I’m OK with building lines first. I keep hearing this is a deep WR draft, because we need a stud. We have a bunch of nice options, but we need a guy who scares everybody on every play.  Diggs, for whatever reason, is not that guy right now. We seriously need to nail a WR draft pick this year! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I was banging the drum on him all offseason and all season long and really since the moment he was drafted.  He should have gotten more opportunities last year, but Dorsey just wasn't good at utilizing the talent on the roster.  He continued to ignore him for the first part of this season too, and had he not, Shakir might be closer to 700-800 yards.  

He just keeps making plays, and I would like to see them still get him more involved, I think he is capable of playing a Beasley role here and could deliver that level of production if he had the target share to do so.  

I like Shakir coming out too. I had a 3rd round grade on him in that draft. But at the same time the tape told the story last year. He was struggling. I don't think it was just a case of usage. He wasn't ready. Which isn't a huge surprise. He came from a very gimmicky system at Boise and last year he was in the wrong place, ran the wrong routes, struggled to understand spacing vs zone and (I think because his head was swimming) had concentration issues catching the ball. Possibly this season Dorsey could have used him more, but the key thing is he is a considerably better player now than he was as a rookie.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I like Shakir coming out too. I had a 3rd round grade on him in that draft. But at the same time the tape told the story last year. He was struggling. I don't think it was just a case of usage. He wasn't ready. Which isn't a huge surprise. He came from a very gimmicky system at Boise and last year he was in the wrong place, ran the wrong routes, struggled to understand spacing vs zone and (I think because his head was swimming) had concentration issues catching the ball. Possibly this season Dorsey could have used him more, but the key thing is he is a considerably better player now than he was as a rookie.

Seeing the ball less than Cook I guess it makes sense that he took a little longer to come around.  He started showing up in the playoffs last year and luckily it carried over.  Hopefully he keeps making plays.  The more the better.

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But with the trainwreck we had at the slot last year, getting him more reps to help his development should have been a no brainer.  Either way, he is more involved now, and he earned that on the field, and hope he continues to see increased targets and becomes more of a player they look to get the ball too like Beasley was.

This guy is a star in the making. He has become the receiver that is always open and when Josh gets flushed he knows just where to be. He’s just like Beasley 3 years ago. If we can get a talented young #2, with Shakir and Kincaid (who looks like a TE who can spread the field), we will be a load to deal with.

He’s been the most reliable pass catcher we have. Considering where he was behind Beanes two FAs at the start of the season I have been pretty impressed how he handled it. Took advantage of very little opportunities and eventually got in a spot to be a consistent contributor. You gotta like that. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

But with the trainwreck we had at the slot last year, getting him more reps to help his development should have been a no brainer.  Either way, he is more involved now, and he earned that on the field, and hope he continues to see increased targets and becomes more of a player they look to get the ball too like Beasley was.

If Shakir could play effectively on the boundary he'd get more chances.    But if teams felt he had that potential he wouldn't have gone in round 5.   With Kincaid basically serving as a slot receiver as well there is going to be a limiting overlap of snaps to some extent there.    If Jordan Addison had fallen to the Bills in round 1 as they seemingly hoped........then maybe Shakir would have had a mid-career Beasley type season or something.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He was out there 30% of snaps last year. For a struggling 5th round rookie that felt pretty much right to me.

Just now, nedboy7 said:

I hope not.  Hopefully he is ready for playoffs.  But if it is doesn't mean we draft his replacement. 

I think they should try and draft another receiver next season … doubt he “replaces” Diggs in 2024 … but Diggs time in Buffalo is limited 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

I’m curious if you have any proof to support this gator arms insult. 

Like a video clip. 

Or are you just making ish up?

It's combine measurements.  His 40 and vertical are better than Diggs, Addison, and a lot of other guys.  His arms on the other hand are 2 inches shorter.  Closest I've found was Addison at 30 7/8th.  Shakir measured 29.  That said he has a 5 inch vertical advantage.  

Most combine measurements are on their wiki pages

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khalil_Shakir

Edited by Maine-iac

1 hour ago, pennstate10 said:

I’m curious if you have any proof to support this gator arms insult. 

Like a video clip. 

Or are you just making ish up?

It's his body type.  He has short arms and it's difficult for him to beat press coverage.  I have deduced as much by doing such things as watching the game.  He's a slot. 

2 hours ago, bouds said:

Love this dude, but he just doesn't get enough targets.  Think he's going to hit 1k next year if he's given the opportunities.

Me too...he has increasingly been making plays more and more even in key situations meaning Allen is starting to really trust him now.

16 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

It's his body type.  He has short arms and it's difficult for him to beat press coverage.  I have deduced as much by doing such things as watching the game.  He's a slot. 

I'm perfectly fine with him in the slot. Not sure his year but he had the most yards of separation against man coverage of any WR last year per route run.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.