Khalil Shakir's 500 yard season

GunnerBill

I was slightly surprised when I saw it this morning but Shakir's 39 yards yesterday took him over 500 for the season to 506. Fair jump from 161 as a rook. He has definitely developed. He is more physical, he has learnt the nuance of NFL spacing and his hands have been much better: two drops in 20 targets last year; 0 in 39 targets this year. He is definitely someone who can contribute here on a very cheap deal the next two years as a 5th round pick. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 26
  • Agree 16
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• GunnerBill changed the title to Khalil Shakir's 500 yard season

I wonder how much he will be used if FA pans out like a lot of here hope; no Gabe unless it’s insanely team friendly. 

Curious to see what Justin Shorter can do too. Huge target. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, SWATeam said:

Shakir, Cook, and Kincaid are a nice group of young talented skill players.

Yea one of them breaking out into a star (and Cook is close IMO) would be huge. But they still need another weapon with some speed outside. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Yea one of them breaking out into a star (and Cook is close IMO) would be huge. But they still need another weapon with some speed outside. 

Agreed.  But the cupboard is nowhere near as bare as some would have you believe.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I was slightly surprised when I saw it this morning but Shakir's 39 yards yesterday took him over 500 for the season to 506. Fair jump from 161 as a rook. He has definitely developed. He is more physical, he has learnt the nuance of NFL spacing and his hands have been much better: two drops in 20 targets last year; 0 in 39 targets this year. He is definitely someone who can contribute here on a very cheap deal the next two years as a 5th round pick. 

Agree. Shakir has been on a clear upward trajectory this season. Right now my biggest worry about him is that the Bills will project that to continue and use that as reasoning to bypass signing or drafting a WR high. Kind of like they projected Gabe Davis.

While I like Shakir and I think he continues to improve I kind of see his ceiling as WR3. Hopefully, Beane does too.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 9

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Agree. Shakir has been on a clear upward trajectory this season. Right now my biggest worry about him is that the Bills will project that to continue and use that as reasoning to bypass signing or drafting a WR high. Kind of like they projected Gabe Davis.

While I like Shakir and I think he continues to improve I kind of see his ceiling as WR3. Hopefully, Beane does too.

This is where I’m at-I hope they aren’t looking at him as a potential #2-he will end up worse than Davis IMO. He’s doing fine where he is right now, keep him there and get someone else as a 2

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Shakir has the highest catch rate in the league for wide receives: 84.6%, with a 15.3 YPC. That's terrific. Gabe Davis has a higher YPC average (16.6), but his catch rate is much lower (56.9 vs. 84.6).

If I'm Allen, I'm looking for Diggs, Shakir, Kincaid (79.5), Knox, and Cook. The Bills should probably keep Davis out there for his run blocking and occasional deep shot when he's single covered, but bench Harty and Sherfield. Neither is contributing to the pass game. 

Too bad they don't have a George Pickens-type deep threat. Then they'd be cooking with gas. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

His ceiling is a WR3 (a slot). He is not a viable outside regular outside option. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

34 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes they need to draft a WR high in the draft, but they also need to start getting Shakir more involved in the offense, the guy produces.

• Agree 2

25 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I wouldn’t t worry about that.  No chance of this happening considering how bad our passing game has been this year.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I will say this many times before the draft, but this is not happening. I can't guarantee we draft WR high this year, but I am pretty sure that it will be Beane's top priority. Front office sees what we see.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’m happy for the kid. He’s had a fine season with some HUGE catches

17 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

They need someone else to throw the ball too… and no money left to buy a decent FA

and still under contract. 

🙌

• Like (+1) 1

Really hoping the Bills can find another receiver that could be 1A compliment to Diggs. Love Shakir, and Davis can be a threat- better than Hardy or Sherfileld. 

The Ravens and Dolphins are both positioned to win their respective divisions, partly because of their investments in WRs. The Bengals upped their status when having two healthy threats.

Give Josh that added weapon and they’ll be deadly. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.