What's Wrong With The Passing O?

Donuts and Doritos

Just now, Drew21PA said:

Ohhhhh kay

hey quickly do you consider the patriots defense excellent the last month and a half ?

Does the result differ between the Pats or the Chargers?  Does it matter how good the defense is because I don't think it's the defense causing most of our problems.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

he’s been unbelievable and his year in keeping his sack numbers and sack yardage low this year. He’s going a great job of getting rid of the ball when he is under duress.

Yes he has. He's also throwing a lot of picks and his timing throws are off. Tough to do when you are constantly avoiding getting sacked. We have really been spoiled with Allen. I think seeing Shakir go over 500yds is testament that he's been working to get even better.

1 minute ago, Maine-iac said:

Does the result differ between the Pats or the Chargers?  Does it matter how good the defense is because I don't think it's the defense causing most of our problems.

You deflected it was just a question to see what you think

8 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

Allen can't be part of the issue. The WR's don't get separation. Next....

Allen missing one or two plays (like ALL quarterbacks) does not negate the point that our receivers are not getting separation.

Just now, Drew21PA said:

You deflected it was just a question to see what you think

I may be wrong but I wasn't so much deflecting as I imagined where you were going with that question.  The Pats defense almost always plays pretty well.

I may be wrong but I wasn't so much deflecting as I imagined where you were going with that question.  The Pats defense almost always plays pretty well.

I was asking a question still haven’t answered 

I’m not going anywhere with it I don’t understand why you’re under estimating the fact that over the last month of football they are pretty much top 5 and top 3 in some catagories

this season they rank 6th in total defense

when they are top in the league yes you are going to have the problems we had yesterday.  It is what it is. 

they were playing at a higher level their goal was to knock us out at home and they played great.

tip

but I also credit the bills they won 20 points on offense that’s better than the average they gave up all season so shatever

no I’m not entirely satisfied but understanding the dynamics - I’m ok with yesterday 

Just now, Einstein said:

Allen missing one or two plays (like ALL quarterbacks) does not negate the point that our receivers are not getting separation.

Haven't seen the All 22 on this game but every game to date there are guys open.  Usually for 5 or 6 yard gains and sometimes earlier than Allen likes so he holds the ball and the deep guy never gets open and he passes up the short pass ect ect.  I'll eat my words if the All 22 shows differently but it's there every week.  Someone posted Shakir running wide open for a TD Josh looking the other way.  Not saying it doesn't happen but he's missing the guys that are open, guys are dropping passes, and he's not seeing guys that are open more than no on is open. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Drew21PA said:

I’m not going anywhere with it I don’t understand why you’re under estimating the fact that over the last month of football they are pretty much top 5 and top 3 in some catagories

when they are top in the league yes you are going to have the problems we had yesterday.  It is what it is. 

they were playing at a higher level their goal was to knock us out at home and they played great.

tip

but I also credit the bills they won 20 points on offense that’s better than the average they gave up all season so shatever

no I’m not entirely satisfied but understanding the dynamics - I’m ok with yesterday 

I answered your question, you quoted it saying I didn't answer your question and then you went on to do exactly what I said you'd do.  Not sure what to tell you.  If Allen only showed these problems this week against this defense then you'd have something.

18 hours ago, Peter said:

I was under the impression from some people on this board, Cover 1, and WGR that Dorsey was responsible for anything wrong with the offense, the economy, the Ukraine, and the Middle East.

I believe he is also responsible for the revised return policy on iPad’s. 

• Haha (+1) 2

I answered your question, you quoted it saying I didn't answer your question and then you went on to do exactly what I said you'd do.  Not sure what to tell you.  If Allen only showed these problems this week against this defense then you'd have something.

KC?  Top5 defense in total defense

dallas?  
oh top5 defensive unit we put up 400 plus on them without the need to pass

ill give you La since you discredit how hard that travel is and “no excuses” I get it

i had it as a loss beginning of the year just because we never play well against the chargers out west historically idk why 

16 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Haven't seen the All 22 on this game but every game to date there are guys open.  

That’s EVERY single QB in NFL history.

You could find these situations in every game for Brady, Elway, Marino, Kelly, etc. 

People just didn’t think about it because ALL-22 wasn’t as accessible back then.

Someone posted Shakir running wide open for a TD Josh looking the other way.  Not saying it doesn't happen buthe's missing the guys that are open

Almost every time someone writes something like this, I check the play and they conveniently forgot to mention the context.

For example, Josh having two defenders about to hit him and he therefore didn’t have time to get through his progressions. Or the WR being the last read in that play. Or the receiver getting open after Allen already moved past that read (but was blanketed when Allen looked at him).

I provided some context in this post: https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/252022-whats-wrong-with-the-passing-o/?do=findComment&comment=8831007

26 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

tip

Peppers OUT on top of all their other studs. They had street FA back in secondary and we couldn’t complete a forward pass still. Oh and we’re supposed to be “Super Bowl contenders” with an “mvp” qb. That’s why

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

That’s EVERY single QB in NFL history.

You could find these situations in every game for Brady, Elway, Marino, Kelly, etc. 

People just didn’t think about it because ALL-22 wasn’t as accessible back then.

Almost every time someone writes something like this, I check the play and they conveniently forgot to mention the context.

For example, Josh having two defenders about to hit him and he therefore didn’t have time to get through his progressions. Or the WR being the last read in that play. Or the receiver getting open after Allen already moved past that read (but was blanketed when Allen looked at him).

If you are watching enough game film to know he moved past a read that came open then you should also know that he's looked right at open receivers and not pulled the trigger.  Like I said I haven't seen this weeks All 22 but it's there almost every week.  Not saying every play but a lot of plays.  

4 minutes ago, balln said:

Peppers OUT on top of all their other studs. They had street FA back in secondary and we couldn’t complete a forward pass still. Oh and we’re supposed to be “Super Bowl contenders” with an “mvp” qb. That’s why

I think there’s some truth to both sides…they’re good because they are well coached and would be even better with a lot of those guys back. 

kind of reminds me of kc where like Chris jones, Barmore is just so good at creating interior pressure that the back end doesn’t have to cover long so the overall defense looks really good 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

If you are watching enough game film to know he moved past a read that came open then you should also know that he's looked right at open receivers and not pulled the trigger.  Like I said I haven't seen this weeks All 22 but it's there almost every week.  Not saying every play but a lot of plays.  

Show me these examples so I can see what you are talking about. If it’s happening this often, it should be quite easy to find several examples.

I watch ALL-22 for nearly every game and do not see what you are seeing.

DBs used to fear Allen beating them with a deep corner route - now they know he won’t throw it because it’s too risky. They have also stopped giving Diggs a huge cushion partly because Allen won’t throw the deep corner route and partly because Diggs is getting up there in age. 

4 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Allen throwing the pick on 2nd and 7 standing 7 yards from our end zone.  TE is wide open.

Pass.thumb.jpg.9b64b6f600b75aa60e0de6631af4b163.jpg

Perfect example of not providing any context.

Sure, the TE was open for a 3 yard gain. But so was the player Allen threw it to…

Diggs had 2 steps on his defender and would have walked into the end zone with a better throw. Mahomes would have made the same decision - to throw to Diggs.

You want to criticize Allen for not stopping, setting his feet, and then throwing it? Sure, go for it. I’d agree with you. But the decision itself was perfectly fine. He threw to a guy wide open downfield that would have been a TD instead of a 3 yard gain.

If you want a QB that takes the 3 yard TE gain over the wide open receiver streaking downfield, then you want Tyrod Taylor back.

IMG-5993.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

DBs used to fear Allen beating them with a deep corner route - now they know he won’t throw it because it’s too risky. They have also stopped giving Diggs a huge cushion partly because Allen won’t throw the deep corner route and partly because Diggs is getting up there in age. 

Yea we have no John brown / e sanders streaking on a deep seam either ….

we would carve teams up on deep passing. Crazy now.

Edited by balln

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

Perfect example of not providing any context.

Sure, the TE was open for a 3 yard gain. But so was the player Allen threw it to…

Diggs had 2 steps on his defender and would have walked into the end zone with a better throw. Mahomes would have made the same decision - to throw to Diggs.

You want to criticize Allen for not stopping, setting his feet, and then throwing it? Sure, go for it. I’d agree with you. But the decision itself was perfectly fine. He threw to a guy wide open downfield that would have been a TD instead of a 3 yard gain.

If you want a QB that takes the 3 yard TE gain over the wide open receiver streaking downfield, then you want Tyrod Taylor back.

IMG-5993.jpg

Except your pic is a guy across the field 50 yards down field and the guy I showed was open for far more than 3 yards and again it was 2nd and 7 and we are 7 yards from our own end zone.  It is part of the reason we aren't beating up on teams we should be beating up on because we give them short fields turning the ball over when we should be moving the chains.

Next two plays Josh misses open guys.  Granted he hits Davis on the scramble drill on the second play but it's part of what is making things harder.  We don't play on schedule getting the ball out and mistakes are eventually made keeping teams in the game with us.  I love that Allen makes the big plays but I would like to see more on schedule, getting the ball out, type throws.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Maine-iac said:

Defenses are all playing for the deeper passes and throwing in blitzes and the short passes are (and have been) there every single game and Josh turns them down over and over again.  I for the life of me can't understand why Cook doesn't get more simple swing passes (as an extension of the running game) for the easy and 5 or 6 yards. 

I don't think this is right at all. Allen hasn't had an issue choosing to throw the ball short this year. I think it's actually been his best year in that regard.

As for Cook's short passes, we're seeing how easy it is for defenses to take those away when they make it a point to do so. Early in the season Cook was getting ignored because defenses didn't think Allen would take those throws. Now that those throws are on film, defenses are assigning guys to specifically cover him so Allen has to go elsewhere. The one swing pass he threw to Cook yesterday was dropped for a 4 yard loss, and he threw it to him as a check down because Diggs was smothered by his 1v1 man coverage. It isn't as simple as just throwing Cook the ball and expecting magic to happen.

Honestly all of the recent issues on offense come back to Diggs. Defenses don't have to pick their poison by taking one coverage man and bracketing him on Diggs. They can leave Diggs in single coverage and still have enough players in coverage to take away everyone else including would-be check downs. Running a passing offense without a single reliable go-to guy is really tough sledding, made worse by the fact that we get zero explosion from our WR depth chart.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

I've read through about 5 pages of this and want to share my thought, hopefully I'm not repeating something on the following 8 pages. 

I think there are lots of good problems being pointed out as the reason for the O's struggles. But I think it is a "moving" problem.  

Is it Diggs is getting old/injured?  Maybe, but he still had more than a step on the missed bomb yesterday, and had a key 11 yard catch late on 3rd and 8 against the Chargers.

Is it the O-line?  Sometimes they are excellent and other times we have free rushers coming at Allen.  

Allen off platform/too aggressive?  Sometimes.  But we seem to have a lot of untimely drops on perfectly thrown balls also that derail drives.

Is it the play calling?  We've seen good and then some not as good. Time will tell if Joe Brady can zig to the defenses' zag, but it feels like we're in a better spot than with Dorsey. 

I think some of this is also Josh/Brady not being ready for the rock/paper/scissors at times of the defensive play calls (hot routes available against blitz, don't get happy feet when there's a spy and no pressure but DO scramble when there's not a spy, etc.)

Then there are untimely penalties that derail drives, at times legit and at times seeming ticky tack/wrong (maybe that's my bills-colored glasses).

You put it all together and I still believe the offense is capable of putting it all together and looking unstoppable with the pieces we have (oh how I miss the days of our "no punt" streak), but there seems to always be something killing a drive, but that something shifts from drive to drive.  If we just start executing with all 11 on each play things would look so much better.  Are we missing practice time with Josh's injury/load management? Are we lacking a sense of urgency?  Is the O coordinator change in mid-season causing growing pains?

TLDR: It's not one thing, it's a failure of all 11 to execute consistently.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rockinon said:

Allen can play the short passing game, but it just seems he has a hard time getting into a rhythm.

Well yeah. Our personnel does not separate quickly... Davis is playing almost 100% of snaps and he is a terrible fit for a rhythm and timing offense. Diggs can't separate quickly right now like we're used to. Defenses are putting guys over Cook to take away those quick passes. Kincaid and Shakir to my eyes appear to be doing a good job of finding holes in zone coverage and making themselves available to Allen, but they are not typically separating quickly in man coverage.

Meanwhile every time a defense blitzes us it feels like there are 3 free rushers instead of just 1. Good luck running a timing offense against that... The best possible play in that scenario is chucking the ball deep to a 1v1 WR that you trust to locate the ball and come down with it or draw DPI but we don't have anybody that comes close to fitting that description.

All of the passing game woes come down to the weapons... It really is that simple. With an honorable mention to the OL who for several years now have struggled with protection schemes against blitzes and stunts. No part of this passing offense is playing in rhythm right now.

Edited by HappyDays

22 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Except your pic is a guy across the field 50 yards down field

Your argument was that Josh is not throwing to open guys.

I asked you for examples.

You provided an example where he threw to a wide open guy. You’re moving the goalposts.

And that throw was one that Josh Allen can absolutely make as long as he sets his feet and throws with fundamentals. Heck, he almost made it while on the run!

22 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

and the guy I showed was open for far more than 3 yards

If you think these 2 defenders are letting him get more than 3 or 4 yards, well, I guess you don’t understand the speed of NFL defenders.

He may have struggled to get much past the LOS.

IMG-5999.jpg

I’m ready for more examples.

Edited by Einstein

20 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Well yeah. Our personnel does not separate quickly... Davis is playing almost 100% of snaps and he is a terrible fit for a rhythm and timing offense. Diggs can't separate quickly right now like we're used to. Defenses are putting guys over Cook to take away those quick passes. Kincaid and Shakir to my eyes appear to be doing a good job of finding holes in zone coverage and making themselves available to Allen, but they are not typically separating quickly in man coverage.

Meanwhile every time a defense blitzes us it feels like there are 3 free rushers instead of just 1. Good luck running a timing offense against that... The best possible play in that scenario is chucking the ball deep to a 1v1 WR that you trust to locate the ball and come down with it or draw DPI but we don't have anybody that comes close to fitting the description.

All of the passing game woes come down to the weapons... It really is that simple. With an honorable mention to the OL who for several years now have struggled with protection schemes against blitzes and stunts. No part of this passing offense is playing in rhythm right now.

I feel like the last 3 out of 4 games great defense team's. Chiefs are great in coverage, Cowboys are the pass rush also coverage, Patriots I feel like is a great defense, pass rush stopping the run feel like goos in pass coverage. Those three team's can cover the wr great.

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan

1 minute ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

I feel like the last 3 out of 4 games great defense team's. Chiefs are great in coverage, Cowboys are the pass rush also coverage, Patriots I feel like is a great defense. Those three team's can cover the wr great. Patriots great at the run and pass rush and feel like can cover wrs well. 

That doesn't bode well for the playoffs when they play more of the same. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't think this is right at all. Allen hasn't had an issue choosing to throw the ball short this year. I think it's actually been his best year in that regard.

As for Cook's short passes, we're seeing how easy it is for defenses to take those away when they make it a point to do so. Early in the season Cook was getting ignored because defenses didn't think Allen would take those throws. Now that those throws are on film defenses are assigning guys to specifically cover him so Allen has to go elsewhere. The one swing pass he threw to Cook yesterday was dropped for a 4 yard loss, and he threw it to him as a check down because Diggs was smothered by his 1v1 man coverage. It isn't as simple as just throwing Cook the ball and expecting magic to happen.

Honestly all of the recent issues on offense come back to Diggs. Defenses don't have to pick their poison by taking one coverage man and bracketing him on Diggs. They can leave Diggs in single coverage and still have enough players in coverage to take away everyone else including would-be check downs. Running a passing offense without a single reliable go-to guy is really tough sledding, made worse by the fact that we get zero explosion from our WR depth chart.

You are right in that defenses have to play Cook more lately but that's because he had 125 yards and 2 TD's just a couple weeks ago and Cook in the passing game is one of the reasons we won the Chiefs game.  You are also right that not having a reliable go to guy hurts.  As much as I do think Allen needs to speed up getting the ball out and take the easy stuff more often I'm not oblivious to the fact that guys are dropping a number of those throws.  Short throws that move the sticks are definitely less effective if guys aren't catching the short throws.  It's been hard to watch.  Allen will tattoo the TE and it skips off his hands (still he should catch it).  Then Allen throws an easy one to a back for a would be first down and they drop it.  Then they call a WR screen and it get's blown up 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage.  

My opinion is the Bills are playing fairly vanilla on purpose. Save your best calls for the big games that begin this week. Thats what Miami has not done. They run those same one read plays over and over. Watching them yesterday I could predict most of their calls by alignment. 

39 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Your argument was that Josh is not throwing to open guys.

I asked you for examples.

You provided an example where he threw to a wide open guy. You’re moving the goalposts.

And that throw was one that Josh Allen can absolutely make as long as he sets his feet and throws with fundamentals. Heck, he almost made it while on the run!

If you think these 2 defenders are letting him get more than 3 or 4 yards, well, I guess you don’t understand the speed of NFL defenders.

He may have struggled to get much past the LOS.

IMG-5999.jpg

I’m ready for more examples.

That is before Allen even bails the pocket.  The outside corner headed down field.  I guess it's the difference between 3rd and short vs the Chargers ball at mid field.  This is as Allen is throwing the ball.  The TE is going to get some yards here.  Hell if Allen just runs that way the TE blocks and it's probably a first down.

Pass2.thumb.jpg.1f0b38d5f69dd7da7146842ed5c16b1c.jpg

Edited by Maine-iac

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Meanwhile every time a defense blitzes us it feels like there are 3 free rushers instead of just 1. Good luck running a timing offense against that... The best possible play in that scenario is chucking the ball deep to a 1v1 WR that you trust to locate the ball and come down with it or draw DPI but we don't have anybody that comes close to fitting that description.

Good observations. There were a couple of deep shots against NE. Josh just missed. Diggs actually had a step on one of them but it was overthrown. Maybe weapons, but I find it hard to believe that we still can't do it with who we have. How many times do we have someone open short and Josh chooses the deeper route even when coverage is tight there? Maybe it's just a matter of not being able to work his way through progressions before pressure gets there.  I wonder what is going through Josh's head sometimes. Is he going through his progressions looking deep first and then only throwing short when he has absolutely no other choice? Sometimes it seems the only time he immediately gets rid of the ball is when it's one of those ridiculous screens that get blown up behind the LoS. 

Sometimes, I think Josh just needs to start throwing early and often just to get into a rhythm sooner.

You are right in that defenses have to play Cook more lately but that's because he had 125 yards and 2 TD's just a couple weeks ago and Cook in the passing game is one of the reasons we won the Chiefs game.  You are also right that not having a reliable go to guy hurts.  As much as I do think Allen needs to speed up getting the ball out and take the easy stuff more often I'm not oblivious to the fact that guys are dropping a number of those throws.  Short throws that move the sticks are definitely less effective if guys aren't catching the short throws.  It's been hard to watch.  Allen will tattoo the TE and it skips off his hands (still he should catch it).  Then Allen throws an easy one to a back for a would be first down and they drop it.  Then they call a WR screen and it get's blown up 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage.  

I get the frustration. To me it seems they need some of those one read plays in the offense like Miami does, just to get things rolling. Something besides running on 1st down so much.

1 hour ago, Locomark said:

My opinion is the Bills are playing fairly vanilla on purpose. Save your best calls for the big games that begin this week. Thats what Miami has not done. They run those same one read plays over and over. Watching them yesterday I could predict most of their calls by alignment. 

I don't....haha. Wouldn't that be nice if they were sandbagging.

That would be unusual restraint, given that every game since the Philly loss has been essentially a playoff game. I hope there are more tricks in the bag, but the deficiencies of the WR room are not going to be fixed this year, though if injury is playing a role in Diggs current woes, one hopes he heals enough to become closer to his previous norm.

3 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

I get the frustration. To me it seems they need some of those one read plays in the offense like Miami does, just to get things rolling. Something besides running on 1st down so much.

It's just the way I watch football, any game, when the play starts I count to three and I start saying "get rid of the ball".  Not much good happens when you hold the ball for a long time after that.  Allen has made a lot of plays after I had already yelled at the TV "get rid of the ball".   I don't think my natural instincts are ever going to change though.  Once the ball is snapped, in an efficient offense, for the most part the ball should be out in 3 seconds.  I mean your occasional deep shot and if they only rush 3 or something and you can work the coverage.  It shouldn't be your typical offense to be running around and holding the ball every play.  Although I don't think I'm saying anything everyone doesn't already know.  A lot of ideas about the problems and unfortunately it's problem a little bit of everything.

• Like (+1) 1

Agree to a point.  They are relatively predictable.  Receivers are just not getting open.  Whether that’s a play calling issue or lack of ability on receivers or both.  I mean, there are many times in a game where opposing receivers are open by a good ten yards and we never seem to have that.  Could also be JA not seeing the field well enough too and/or lack of time in the pocket.  Regardless, our offense will need to score a bunch to beat Miami and with how we’ve been playing, I don’t see that happening.

• Like (+1) 1

You are also right that not having a reliable go to guy hurts.

I just watched all-22 of the first two drives of this game and my first takeaway is that we need to start designing the reads to account for the fact that Diggs is no longer a reliable 1v1 option.

So first passing play of the game is blown up by McGovern and Torrence. Allen comes out of play action, literally everybody is going to be open but he already has pressure in his face by two interior rushers and the play is DOA.

2nd passing play - Allen immediately looks at Diggs running a whip route 1v1 to the short right side of the field. Diggs never comes close to separating. In the past this has been an automatic completion. By the time Allen moves to his next read the OL has been beat and he launches a very low percentage pass to Kincaid downfield just to get rid of the ball. On the left side of the field Shakir actually beats his man on a deep out route. It's a beautiful route. But Allen started with Diggs on the other side (presumably because this is the built in #1 matchup against man coverage) and that was that.

3rd play - This is right after our INT so we have the ball inside the 20. Diggs runs a post corner to the left. Allen starts by checking middle field safety who runs right to cover Kincaid. After confirming Diggs is now in single coverage he stares him down but once again Diggs never comes close to separating so Allen ends up throwing the ball away as pressure gets there (not the OL's fault - it's a 6 man blitz). If Allen had looked to replace the blitz with the throw he would have hit Shakir running a quick slant off the line for probably a 6 or 7 yard gain. But apparently his read is automatically look at Diggs if Diggs is in 1v1 coverage.

The 4th passing play is Cook dropping the screen on 3rd down.

I don't have time for more right now, but my big takeaway is they need to remove Diggs 1v1 in man coverage as an automatic read. Diggs just isn't that guy right now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.