Damar Hamlin as leading candidate for AP NFL Comeback Player of the Year receiving fan blowback

chongli

Surviving the death grasp from the Grim Reaper certainly lends credence to Hamlin’s candidacy, but he isn’t a starter and was inactive most of the season. Perhaps his biggest impact is the changes his near death caused in assuring every team’s medical team significantly upgraded their life saving training and equipment to quickly respond to heart emergencies on the field of play -and national awareness for everyone on what to do in personal emergencies of this kind. For that alone, I think he wins the award this year as EVERYBODY has benefited from his ordeal and ‘comeback’.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Honest questions

Why does flacco deserve it?

We have seen him play amazing for a four week stretch a few times before - isn't this who he always was and is?

Why does Baker deserve it? He has never been very good and really isn't this year either (he is very much an average QB playing against a weak nfc). He has been this player his entire career, he just got screwed by bad coaching and bad organizations 

The guy that should be getting more love for this award is Stafford

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

The problem is that Hamlin literally died on the field and came back to play the next year. He's certainly deserving of some sort of award, whether it's comeback player of the year, Walter Payton man of the year or something else I'm not sure but he deserves something. 

So we should take these awards that have nothing to do with damars situation and give it to him?

What about the players who actually deserve those awards?

Damars situation was brutal and he has sacrificed alot... Almost much more. But we can't go destroying every award out there just to give him something.

Comeback poy is for players that turn in remarkable performances on the field. Hard to argue damar did anything close to that.

WPMOTY is for players that shoe "commitment to philanthropy and community impact". Again not applicable to damar.

Here's an idea..................

CREATE THE "HAMLIN AWARD", to be given yearly to the player that overcomes the most adversity to play.

Then he's "immortalized" with a namesake award, gets something to commemorate his toughness and perseverance, and doesn't dilute other awards 

Seems like a pretty good compromise to me

Edited by Heavy Kevi
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Honest questions

Why does flacco deserve it?

We have seen him play amazing for a four week stretch a few times before - isn't this who he always was and is?

Why does Baker deserve it? He has never been very good and really isn't this year either (he is very much an average QB playing against a weak nfc). He has been this player his entire career, he just got screwed by bad coaching and bad organizations 

The guy that should be getting more love for this award is Stafford

Why Stafford.  Before he was injured last year, he simply stunk for 9 games.  This year, he has a loaded Offense (but only ranked only 10th in passing, rushing), 8-7 overall. 

Flacco was out of the league and put the Browns in the playoffs.

14 hours ago, Limeaid said:

A former coworker of mine had his heart stopped [Sudden cardiac arrest (SCA)] while he was in the dentist chair.  The dentist had been trained and restarted his heart.  He was prohibited from flying (like Poyer) and on Christmas eve I was called and asked if my passport was still valid which I confirmed; I was sent on day after Christmas to Yokota Air Base in Japan to lead install.

You installed a new heart in your former coworker?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

🤣 I think he was trying to combine a couple different stories there. Then again, it’s Saturday afternoon during the holidays so bombed out of his mind isn’t out of the equation..

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

🤣 I think he was trying to combine a couple different stories there. Then again, it’s Saturday afternoon during the holidays so bombed out of his mind isn’t out of the equation..

Rewording it and added more info.  No bombing.

A former coworker of mine had his heart stopped [Sudden cardiac arrest (SCA)] while he was in the dentist chair. 

The dentist had been trained and restarted his heart. 

He was prohibited from flying (just like Poyer was) and he was responsible for lead on upcoming Yokota Air Base install in Japan.

On Christmas eve I was called from deployment lead.

I was asked if my passport was still valid which I confirmed.

I was sent on day after Christmas to Yokota Air Base in Japan to lead install replacing my friend.

Not a good trip for me.

• Like (+1) 1

I would not vote for Damar Hamlin.  His inspiring comeback from a near fatal heart episode not withstanding, he is pretty much irrelevant as a football player.  In my thinking, a comeback player is a player who is making a meaningful football contribution to his team.  There are several nominees I would choose over Hamlin.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Rewording it and added more info.  No bombing.

A former coworker of mine had his heart stopped [Sudden cardiac arrest (SCA)] while he was in the dentist chair. 

The dentist had been trained and restarted his heart. 

He was prohibited from flying (just like Poyer was) and he was responsible for lead on upcoming Yokota Air Base install in Japan.

On Christmas eve I was called from deployment lead.

I was asked if my passport was still valid which I confirmed.

I was sent on day after Christmas to Yokota Air Base in Japan to lead install replacing my friend.

Not a good trip for me.

Limeaid,

Sorry for being a smartass... I understood your story the first time. Just trying to blow off some steam and have a little fun this weekend.

Kudos for all you've done and all you do.

👍

I may be simple in my thinking on this matter:

A man returned from cardiac arrest on the field to play pro football again the following season.

He wins CBPOTY.

I don't care that Joe Flacco is playing good football after a several year layoff. I don't care that Tua is "silencing the haters" after suffering a few concussions during a 13-start season for a playoff team.

A man came back from the dead. He wins. End of story.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

12 hours ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

The problem is that Hamlin literally died on the field and came back to play the next year. He's certainly deserving of some sort of award, whether it's comeback player of the year, Walter Payton man of the year or something else I'm not sure but he deserves something. 

I think he got what he needed, his life. But he deserves no award related to football this year. If anything, he needs to be admonished for his football contributions this year. 

2 hours ago, Logic said:

I may be simple in my thinking on this matter:

A man returned from cardiac arrest on the field to play pro football again the following season.

He wins CBPOTY.

I don't care that Joe Flacco is playing good football after a several year layoff. I don't care that Tua is "silencing the haters" after suffering a few concussions during a 13-start season for a playoff team.

A man came back from the dead. He wins. End of story.

Maybe come back to life award… but it’s tough to make it a football award, when he came back worse than last year, and he was bad last year. Your logic is anything but… just saying. 

Edited by Prospector
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DapperCam said:

I’m fine with Hamlin winning. Does comeback player of the year have a strict criteria?

Maybe the criteria of being able to play football in a not bad way… If it’s a football award. Its a meaningless award to be honest, and kind of embarrassing to get as a player, so maybe he does deserve it. 

22 hours ago, mrags said:

I don’t know the exact number of times. But Hamlin again inactive today. How many games has he been inactive this year? My guess is at least 10. Kinda hurts the argument for being a comeback player when you don’t play the majority of the time. 

He has only played in 5 of the 16 games this season.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HamlDa00.htm

On 12/30/2023 at 12:16 PM, Sierra Foothills said:

You should see what he can do with a napkin!!

• Haha (+1) 2

I'm not sure how you could possibly justify giving the award to Mayfield or Flacco. Flacco Has played 5 games against the Jets, Texans (without Stroud), Bears, jaguars and Rams and the Browns will be the 5th seed. He's done an admirable job filling in, but Cleveland has a strong roster and was expected to make a deep postseason run before injuries curtailed them, and Flacco has had stints of being a top talent, such as when he went on his SB MVP run. Is it that shocking that he could play at that level one more time over a few games?

As for Mayfield, I like the guy, but the Bucs are 8-8 in the worst division in football and he's been good, not great int he process. If you're going to give it to Baker, Why isn't Stafford in the mix as someone having a better season that came back from injury?

People forget that Hamlin did a lot of good things for us before he got hurt. Yes, he was a liability at times, but he played well. He was significantly better than Jaquan Johnson, and he even kept Dean Marlowe off the field. We went out and got Rapp this year, so his role has been greatly diminished and that's fine, but it doesn't mean he has no ability as a reserve player.

The guy came back from the ultimate hardship. Nothing that any QB has done in the NFL this year is anywhere close to as impressive. Maybe if one of them was playing at a truly elite level you could, but they're mostly doing what you expect them to do and they haven't had to overcome any hardship en route.

The NHL routinely awards the Bill Masterson trophy to people that survive significant health issues to return to the league, not sure why folks are getting so worked up about it in the NFL.

Edited by BullBuchanan

I would give it to Flacco simply for the impact he's had for the Browns. He also came directly off of the couch to lead the Browns to the Playoffs. Damar is a great story, but he's done nothing on the field or for this team as it relates to the game of football itself. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

I here, so I'm a pretty huge Bills fan. And I love Hamlin. Great kid and I'm so very thrilled for him...

But I still think Flacco deserves the award. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associated_Press_NFL_Comeback_Player_of_the_Year_Award

While the criteria for the award is imprecise,[1] it is typically given to a player who overcomes adversity to return to a remarkable level of performance, such as from not playing the previous season, injury, or for playing well in comparison to the previous year's poor performance.[2] If a player can come back from such adversity or play at a high level over the previous year, they will usually be favored to win the award. 

*** I quoted the wrong post, but my point still stands … Hamlin is barely one step above a PS player. Nothing remarkable or high level about anything he’s done this season (or ever, really). ***

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.