What contract will AJ Epen$a get?

Big Blitz

22 hours ago, peterpan said:

A good rookie draft pick could produce as much as he is too.

think Milano, Kyle Williams, taron Johnson….

I know our DE picks never seem to pan out but maybe one finally will!?

I think Groot has been a good pick, his stats aren’t eye popping but they aren’t bad either. I think if he got more snaps he would easily have been a 10 sack a year player this and last season and he is really good against the run. 

Much like Ed I think he will have his breakout but until then he is still a quality starting caliber DE.

• Like (+1) 1

I actually think Epenesa will end up somewhere on a 1 year, prove-it type deal with another team next year. I expect that to be somewhere in the $8M-$10M range. I don't think any GM is going to hand out a bunch of gtd $$$ to a guy who hasn't consistently produced. If he shows out next year with more reps elsewhere, then he'll cash in for real.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Billy Claude said:

For what it's worth, Epenesa is not in PFF's list of top 100 free agents: https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2024-free-agent-rankings-free-agency

Three Bills are on the list,  Floyd at 48th (1 yr $6M), Davis at 83th (1 yr $12M), and Jones at 90th (1 yr $6M), though PFF's contract projections seem pretty low.

Yeah I saw that. Pretty telling, I just think AJ will get a 1 yr/ 6-7M deal as a prove it.  We're not paying that with what's tied up in Von.  Use that money on Leonard.  He's earned it.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

He like many others will probably want to check out FA to see exactly how much another team will give him & you can't blame him but i don't think that he will be back with the Bills because Beane will once again let him find out like they did with Edmunds & he will be gone .

But i believe Beane will get after DE/pass rusher in the draft to come along & he may be already on the team in some one like Kingsley Jonathan .

Hmm tough. If he hits Free Agency, he’s still young, has ascended every year but has never been a starter. I think he gets in the 8-10 million a year. 

like others have said DEs are a premium and a lot of teams will think he can provide more with plays a game. Unless he’s at 6 mill or so I would let him go. 

10 hours ago, H2o said:

I actually think Epenesa will end up somewhere on a 1 year, prove-it type deal with another team next year. I expect that to be somewhere in the $8M-$10M range. I don't think any GM is going to hand out a bunch of gtd $$$ to a guy who hasn't consistently produced. If he shows out next year with more reps elsewhere, then he'll cash in for real.

He has consistently produced though. Over the last season and a half he has been extremely consistent. The issue is the first two and a half years of his career and because he was a covid pick, no pre-season, and the Bills attempted a body transformation I think a LOT of teams will look past that. AJE is getting paid this spring.

5 hours ago, Billy Claude said:

For what it's worth, Epenesa is not in PFF's list of top 100 free agents: https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2024-free-agent-rankings-free-agency

Three Bills are on the list,  Floyd at 48th (1 yr $6M), Davis at 83th (1 yr $12M), and Jones at 90th (1 yr $6M), though PFF's contract projections seem pretty low.

AJE will get a bigger deal than all 3 of them.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He has consistently produced though. Over the last season and a half he has been extremely consistent. The issue is the first two and a half years of his career and because he was a covid pick, no pre-season, and the Bills attempted a body transformation I think a LOT of teams will look past that. AJE is getting paid this spring.

You may be right. It is kind of weird situation to gauge imo. Some guys have been relatively successful in our system, then when they got paid and went elsewhere did nothing for the most part. Even still, all it takes is one team/GM to say, "he's our guy." We shall see I guess. 

Edited by H2o

13 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Compare him with Trent Murphy from Washington after his rookie deal.  Murphy got over 7M per from the Bills on a three year.....I think epenesa is actually better and with inflation he will easiliy get a multi year 10+M deal IMO.

And Trent was coming off a year out injured at the time and only had 1 year of production compared to AJE's 2.

Honestly a lot of it depends on the top two guys on the market: Brian Burns and Josh Allen. If one or both of them hit the market it will depress things for the next tier which is probably Chase Young and Danielle Hunter and then after that the likes of Danna, Epenesa and Huff (possibly Uche too but he is so scheme specific). But if, as I expect, Burns and Allen stay put..... well then suddenly a team needing a pass rush boost other than the usual suspect vets - Clowney and Ngakoue etc - is going to be looking hard at guys like Epenesa and Huff who have good level of production as situational players and trying to project that into a starting role. 

Edited by GunnerBill

4 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Compare him with Trent Murphy from Washington after his rookie deal.  Murphy got over 7M per from the Bills on a three year.....I think epenesa is actually better and with inflation he will easiliy get a multi year 10+M deal IMO.

If Bills face Ravens again in playoffs again Bills should sign Trent Murphy to practice squad and leak they are planning on elevating him just to give Jackson the willies.  He was SOOO frustrated in that playoff game.

I feel the Bills are unlikely to keep him ecause he will be out of their price range, and will turn to an older vet to fill his roster space, or perhaps a rookie. I imagine they will re-sign several of the other DLinemen who are up for free agency this off season.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, stlbills13 said:

I'd even overpay to bring him back as I am a big believer in continuity but I just think someone is going to pay him to essentially be an every down player and the Bills can't afford that price nor is he that kind of player. 

How many defense line players all every down players these days?  Every team seems to use waves and situational players which is why I think teams need to work on giving offense linemen a break during game allowing them to observe defense play and stay fresh.

1 minute ago, Brit said:

I feel the Bills are unlikely to keep him ecause he will be out of their price range, and will turn to an older vet to fill his roster space, or perhaps a rookie. I imagine they will re-sign several of the other DLinemen who are up for free agency this off season.

Or both. I imagine they will push really hard to re-sign Floyd to a similar deal as this year, if Jones can get back and show he can still play I expect a 1 year deal there and Beane loves him some Jordan Phillips for some reason. Shaq will take his usual vet minimum type deal and compete for a back of the roster spot to play his very specific base end vs heavy run teams role. 

I imagine 2024 EDGE:

Rousseau

Von

Floyd

Shaq 

Jonathan

Rookie

2024 DT:

Oliver

Jones

Phillips

Rookie

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

How many defense line players all every down players these days?  Every team seems to use waves and situational players which is why I think teams need to work on giving offense linemen a break during game allowing them to observe defense play and stay fresh.

Very few. But a team signing AJE needs to be comfortable that his production will escalate pro-rata if you have him out there say 65% rather than 45%. That is the element of risk. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, H2o said:

Bills would give him that. 

I say 3 years 24 million 12 million guaranteed. 

6 hours ago, RichRiderBills said:

Bills would give him that. 

I say 3 years 24 million 12 million guaranteed. 

No I don’t think so…I also thinks he gets 3 years $30 million absolute minimum somewhere 

They will look to bring back DQ and Floyd instead at around $12-$13 m for the pair …can’t afford AJE as well ..,

15 hours ago, TD716 said:

Liability against the run. Trouble setting the edge. Too light. Great rotational guy this year. Not so much the previous years. 5-7 million per range. Daquan and Floyd more valuable

He is definitely getting more than that. You are not wrong about the run and his edge setting but his pass rush production the last season and a half is going to get him paid. 

• Agree 1

On 12/26/2023 at 2:42 PM, boyst said:

I like him, I want him to get the money he has earned. I imagine $8mm/yr is about the floor 

Shaq got  10mil x 3 and  AJ will get at least that.  Now, in this discussion, we can lament Bean signing Miller to a three year contract....as miller is sucking up 25 mil next year that should go to retaining AJ and Floyd,  Adious to both imho.

5 minutes ago, bmur66 said:

Would love to keep him a Bill but the Brinks truck that goes to Von Miller is perhaps going to make it very difficult

it really is a gut punch to see what we ended up with Re: Miller. let's see what the rest of the year holds but it'll be tough to turn around that contract for ROE.

21 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Shaq got  10mil x 3 and  AJ will get at least that.  Now, in this discussion, we can lament Bean signing Miller to a three year contract....as miller is sucking up 25 mil next year that should go to retaining AJ and Floyd,  Adious to both imho.

i think we need to choke off some of that money miller is getting for a better cause.

On 12/29/2023 at 8:32 AM, GunnerBill said:

He is definitely getting more than that. You are not wrong about the run and his edge setting but his pass rush production the last season and a half is going to get him paid. 

Agreed he will likely get paid more than 5-7 million this is just the number I felt the bills should be at . We should be paying to keep Floyd and Daquan 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.