Why is it so hard for fans to admit reality?

oldmanfan

2 minutes ago, DaggersEOD said:

Still going huh lil buddy? I actually deleted my posts but this was just too good. 

Pulling out Message Board rep huh? Nice! 👍

Not that it matters, but I actually transferred when the BBMB shut down. Decade plus there but you’re obviously much cooler 🤣🤣

Lol. This board was so much better before you people came aboard. 

I still find it funny guy, that you jumped into a conversation that didn’t involve you. Insulting people from the start. And then continue to not let it go like a little baby. Keep posting guy. Looks great on you. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Casey D said:

Who on God's green earth thinks they played a good game?  They played poorly but found a way to win.  Teams that are -3 on turnovers were 2-37 this year.  Beating those kind of odds shows the resiliency of the team, not that they played good.   You are risking the suspension of your matriculation privileges. 😁

I am as big a fan as anyone, certainly maybe the most senior one on this board given I was at the opener in 1960.  Just trying to be realistic about a poor effort.  I’ll be back to normal in a day or so!  And ask them to matriculate next week!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

All true. 

With one caveat: the level of the competition isn't the same. Granted, the Chargers without Herbert are pretty damn poor. But Eagles-Chiefs-Cowboys ain't Pats-Giants-Jets ...

I agree, but the Eagles are wildly overrated on defense. Dallas has been consistent in late season melt downs against good teams. If people want to say the Chargers had a good situational spot, the Cowboys had an equally bad one. In the end I tend to not go ham cakes on the SOS variable. We don't need to play against a really good team to go into a shell on offense. We have a pretty good idea of what this defense will do.  At the end of the day, it was Bills fans with the help of the national media that created all these narratives about us being a Super Bowl contender. I will just watch the team and expect nothing. As we have no logical reason to expect anything. Brady has show issues adjusting at times. Our passing game is not clicking right now. Our defense is not better than previous years. So I'm not really arguing that we should have done more or less vs the Chargers. I'm arguing more about what have we actually done to justify this hype?

56 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Who is this psa for exactly? 

Mind-boggling someone’s sitting at home on x-mas eve thinking “these message board guys are nuts! Do they even know we got lucky yesterday?!”

Firstly, why do you care what others think? Secondly, why do you think they’ll care about this? 

It’s a discussion board.  People post opinions.  That’s why the board exists.

• Agree 1

"Josh sucked until the final drive..."

His passing record post interception:

- Successful 4-yard pass to Diggs

- Successful 6-yard pass to Diggs

- Successful 16-yard pass to Shakir

- Successful 36-yard pass to Davis

- Successful 6-yard pass to Cook (negated by penalty on Brown)

- Successful 28-yard pass to Davis (negated by penalty on Morse)

- Successful 17-yard pass to Knox

- Successful 8-yard pass to Diggs

- Unsuccessful deep pass to Diggs

- Successful 11-yard pass to Diggs

- Successful 15-yard pass to Shakir

Admittedly there were issues early on, but would disagree with him sucking until the final drive. Sucking up to and including the interception, yeah, can maybe accept that. Even the sack, I preferred him to protect the ball than air it. Martin then stepped in to help him out.

Edited by UKBillFan
Deleted "in" from "Admittedly (in) there"
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

I told you we had 3 turnovers.  Lucky to overcome those.

How was it lucky and not just good play?  Our defense kept them to field goals.  Nothing lucky about that.  Our offense scored more points than their offense because we scored TDs.  Nothing lucky about that.  Explain how it was lucky.

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

- Successful short pass to Cook (negated by penalty on Brown)

- Successful 28-yared pass to Davis (negated by penalty on Morse)

Admittedly in there were issues early on, but would disagree with him sucking until the final drive. Sucking up to and including the interception, yeah, can maybe accept that. Even the sack, I preferred him to protect the ball than air it. Martin then stepped in to help him out.

Good points.  I admit I probably want more out of Josh than some.  If he could play smarter and cut down the picks he’d be a Brady/Montana type.  He’s more a Favee now who, while a first ballot HoFer, should have won more Lombardis than he did because he was reckless too much.

Just now, Mikie2times said:

I agree, but the Eagles are wildly overrated on defense. Dallas has been consistent in late season melt downs against good teams. If people want to say the Chargers had a good situational spot, the Cowboys had an equally bad one. In the end I tend to not go ham cakes on the SOS variable. We don't need to play against a really good team to go into a shell on offense. We have a pretty good idea of what this defense will do.  At the end of the day, it was Bills fans with the help of the national media that created all these narratives about us being a Super Bowl contender. I will just watch the team and expect nothing. As we have no logical reason to expect anything. Brady has show issues adjusting at times. Our passing game is not clicking right now. Our defense is not better than previous years. So I'm not really arguing that we should have done more or less vs the Chargers. I'm arguing more about what have we actually done to justify this hype?

I agree in general. A lot of it is just situational luck evening out. Basically the same good/solid but flawed team all year long, remarkably healthy on the offensive side (the line has been together all year, and really only Knox has missed significant time; Damien Harris too but he's totally forgotten as other RBs stepped up), remarkably unhealthy on the defensive side. 

Who's clearly better in the AFC? Chiefs? No. We've seen that. Dolphins? Same (and they've been remarkably healthy up till now). Bengals? They were looking the part until Burrow went down. Jags? Obviously not. Ravens? Maybe, but we'll see ...

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Jrb1979 said:

You think they are an AFC championship team? 

Who in the AFC is definitively better right now?  Bills can beat anyone in the AFC.  Will they, well that’s what we will find out.  But to say they can’t be is just absurd and is just more about being stubborn to stick to the negative bias you already have.  

They just beat KC and Cowboys, who at the time they played them were both considered legit SB contenders and top 5 teams.  But you act like they lost their last 5 games.  

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Who in the AFC is definitively better right now?  Bills can beat anyone in the AFC.  Will they, well that’s what we will find out.  But to say they can’t be is just absurd and is just more about being stubborn to stick to the negative bias you already have.  

They just beat KC and Cowboys, who at the time they played them were both considered legit SB contenders and top 5 teams.  But you act like they lost their last 5 games.  

When the Bills play up to their capabilities, no one.  Problem is our inconsistency.

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Nobody is better than the Bills in the AFC.  There are a couple teams more consistent though.  Ravens specifically but as much as we rag on Miami they have been consistent... albeit they had an easier schedule but consistent none the less.  Nobody in the AFC that Bills A game can't beat though.

Just now, Scott7975 said:

Nobody is better than the Bills in the AFC.  There are a couple teams more consistent though.  Ravens specifically but as much as we rag on Miami they have been consistent... albeit they had an easier schedule but consistent none the less.  Nobody in the AFC that Bills A game can't beat though.

Agreed.  It’s the consistency or lack thereof that is the concern.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Agreed. AFC is wide open. Objectively the Ravens look the best overall, but we'll see how they handle playoff football.

The NFC is different, as the Niners are clearly the class not just of the NFC but the whole NFL too. But it'll be a first for playoff Purdy, so who knows.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I agree in general. A lot of it is just situational luck evening out. Basically the same good/solid but flawed team all year long, remarkably healthy on the offensive side (the line has been together all year, and really only Knox has missed significant time; Damien Harris too but he's totally forgotten as other RBs stepped up), remarkably unhealthy on the defensive side. 

Who's clearly better in the AFC? Chiefs? No. We've seen that. Dolphins? Same (and they've been remarkably healthy up till now). Bengals? They were looking the part until Burrow went down. Jags? Obviously not. Ravens? Maybe, but we'll see ...

Agree 100% with all of this. But I just don't look at our team is the type of team that can come out of a group of average teams. People say, well why not us? Well, why not us because we have historical issues winning close games. We have issues winning in OT. We have issues folding late in games. We are wildly inconsistent. We might be capable of the highest top end performance but nothing in this teams DNA suggests to me that we are capable of sustaining a performance that can get us thru 4 playoff games. 

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

The reality is we were lucky yesterday.  Josh was bad Josh until the last drive.  Cook had a pivotal fumble.  The defense let a guy with no experience in the league almost win the game for the Bolts.  The only guy that played really well was Oliver.  

Just admit they sucked yesterday and got lucky.  They won’t be that bad every game; I suspect they’ll squish the Fish like Josh always does.  But they sucked yesterday and have too many times this year against inferior competition and that’s why they’re in the position they’re in.

Gabe Davis also had a great game. 

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Good points.  I admit I probably want more out of Josh than some.  If he could play smarter and cut down the picks he’d be a Brady/Montana type.  He’s more a Favee now who, while a first ballot HoFer, should have won more Lombardis than he did because he was reckless too much.

I've said all along that I feel Josh is, physically, the best NFL QB bar none right now, possibly even ever, but sometimes his mentality and reads can let him down. He can get the haunted look which I think causes panic in every Bills fan, or he doesn't quite see the field right - see the first drive yesterday where he was throwing to... who? Mind you, we blame Josh, maybe someone ran the wrong route? But it's part of being a QB to notice that. And to choose whether to throw on the back foot which could result in an underthrow.

I would argue Josh had a game of two 'halves' yesterday - pre and post interception. Pre-interception he had issues. Post interception he was good to great.

Dear @oldmanfan reality is that we just did the following 

Philly away - OT loss/ tough stadium 

KC away - Win/tough stadium 

Dallas home - Win/lovely stadium 

LA away - Win/pathetic stadium 

yes LA was a bad game, but you can’t just toss out the 3 games before it.  Which you didn’t, but come on, this team is hot!

Edited by GottaRun

I will admit reality: I'm enjoying this NFL season!

Sure, it's great when the Bills are rolling. But guess what? We're in the thick of it, and I have no idea what's going to happen the next couple weeks, much less the next month and a half. That will keep me engaged.

It's supposed to be entertainment, and I'm entertained.

Merry Christmas!

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

- Successful 6-yard pass to Cook (negated by penalty on Brown)

- Successful 28-yard pass to Davis (negated by penalty on Morse)

Admittedly there were issues early on, but would disagree with him sucking until the final drive. Sucking up to and including the interception, yeah, can maybe accept that. Even the sack, I preferred him to protect the ball than air it. Martin then stepped in to help him out.

There's been a lot of complaining about Martin on these pages recently, and I don't get it. He was certainly solid yesterday, including booming a 60 yarder out of the end zone. Tough to do.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Real McClappy said:

When you win a game with a turnover margin of 3-0 it's not really that lucky.  

Our D held them to FGs and that was the difference. Take away 3 turnovers and the game looks 100% different.

In the last 40 years, teams that won the turnover margin 3-0, won time of possession, and had fewer penalties than their opponent were 249-10.

Chargers had all 3 of those on us, and we won. It was a gutsy game and our guys made plays when it mattered, but I don't mind saying that we got at least a little lucky.

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

Bills are 4th in EPA offense and 14th in EPA defense in weeks 1-12

Bills are 10th in EPA offense and 11th in EPA defense since the the Eagles games (week 13)

Our fan base really wants to assign order to the last few weeks thinking we have turned some "corner". Reality is 3 of the last 4 could have went either way just as the majority of the games played out in weeks 1-12.  In this iteration 2 of 3 went our way. Earlier in the year, they didn't. The foundation of our play which is captured by EPA suggests very little has changed.

Close losses normalize over time…we’ve been a good/great team all season from the point of view of all the advanced metrics. Whether that’s actually true is up to personal interpretation 😂

I do think there has been a big improvement to that post jax game stretch before we added Douglas and Joseph. We were dead last in defensive dvoa for that 4 game stretch 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GottaRun said:

Dear @oldmanfan reality is that we just did the following 

Philly away - OT loss/ tough stadium 

KC away - Win/tough stadium 

Dallas home - Win/lovely stadium 

LA away - Win/pathetic stadium 

yes LA was a bad game, but you can’t just toss out the 3 games before it.  Which you didn’t, but come on, this team is hot!

I was at the game yesterday.  Coolest stadium I've seen.  Nothing pathetic at all.  

Can't find one negative about it.  

2 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

In the last 40 years, teams that won the turnover margin 3-0, won time of possession, and had fewer penalties than their opponent were 249-10.

Chargers had all 3 of those on us, and we won. It was a gutsy game and our guys made plays when it mattered, but I don't mind saying that we got at least a little lucky.

How were we lucky

We lost both fumbles and that INT was a 50/50 proposition at best

All three potential turnovers actualized...if anything we were unlucky

2 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

I swear this fan base will never be happy unless we win the Super Bowl going 17-0 and winning every playoff game by 40

Pretty sure most would take one Super Bowl in a lifetime

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Close losses normalize over time…we’ve been a good/great team all season from the point of view of all the advanced metrics. Whether that’s actually true is up to personal interpretation 😂

I do think there has been a big improvement to that post jax game stretch before we added Douglas and Joseph. We were dead last in defensive dvoa for that 4 game stretch 

The defensive trend prior to those additions (post Jags / Pre Eagles) was pushing us ranked closer to last in the league. So yes, they have helped a lot. Prior to the injuries we were top 5. 

I don't know that we are better on defense than years past. I like our DL better for sure and even if the rest of the defense isn't better, I would almost take a better DL alone.  

16 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I'm still waiting for anyone in the "lucky" camp to answer this.  I have asked several times and no one has answered but they keep saying it.

My favorite is people saying we got lucky in the tb game because tb couldn’t complete a Hail Mary that not a single receiver could locate the ball during…not to mention tb only cut it to one score because they caught a fluky deflected pass td on the previous drive 

the more i think about it is the lucky camp thinks they should’ve scored on that lateral play which is a little outlandish imo 😂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

There's been a lot of complaining about Martin on these pages recently, and I don't get it. He was certainly solid yesterday, including booming a 60 yarder out of the end zone. Tough to do.

But are we allowed to say that he got a lucky bounce on that one that went out of bounds on the 3?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

How were we lucky

We lost both fumbles and that INT was a 50/50 proposition at best

All three potential turnovers actualized...if anything we were unlucky

Um. Maybe because we still won? Being lucky doesn't mean that bad things don't happen, it means that you still overcome them.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.