Offensive Supporting Cast

C.Biscuit97

There was some narrative early in the season that Allen was surrounded by bums. Josh is our best player and a top 3 qb but can we finally argee that there is legit good talent on this offense? 

- one of the most improved (and honestly one of the best o lines in the nfl)

- a top 5 receiver 

- a top 5 rb who is breaking out big time 

- a 1st round TE who is emerging as one of the best receiving TEs in the nfl 

obviously, Allen is the star but can we finally admit this is a really good group around him? How many groups are better? SF, Philly, Miami, and maybe Detroit? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

Yep - I agree OP. Well said for sure. Even Shakir - I wish we used him more as he looks potent at times. And don't forget Ty Johnson... he is a beast and very hard to tackle. Ty will be a cog for us as we approach the playoffs.

The only thing missing is the guy that can make the long play. Gabe was the one for a bit but no longer. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The receiver group is still weak overall, but you are right the overall talent on the offense is not the handicap it was last year.

100% the WR room needs to improve but I’ve got to admit I was wrong on cook. He may not be great after contact and he has lapses in concentration with 2 big time TD drops (eagles and cowboys) but man is he a fun chess piece for this offense. Also I love Kincaid! Outside of his horrible decision to wear rain gloves, he has been clutch city for Josh in key moments. Diggs had the nice one handed grab last week but he has taken a step back later this season and even though Davis is a great blocker, he can’t be relied on as an actual pass catcher. Sherfield looks like a huge whiff as he looks lost whenever he’s on the field. I thought he’d be a nice addition after his great preseason. Harry was supposed to be the gadget dude who was paid like he could also be our deep threat too but that experiment didn’t pan out either. Shakir looks like a solid WR who is improving each year but addressing is a huge need this offseason. No more jags. Josh needs more dudes he can depend in big moments. 

2 big additions the bills need to try hard for are:

#1 draft Odunze if he is anywhere close to falling past top 15. Watch him with Penix. Game on the line, everyone in the world knows it’s going to Odunze and he’s clutch city

#2 trade for Courtland Sutton. This dude is a dawg! Imagine him having any competent QB play. He’s a #1 WR getting paid like a 2. 

id love to get both of these dudes but realistically we would probably only get one. They’re both big bodied, freak athletes who are red zone monsters and for bigger dudes can actually separate from defenders. 

I know others will want Tee Higgins or Mr. Drop, Mike Evans but I don’t think they’re the consistent contributor that Josh needs from his new #1 target as Diggs transitions to 2 as he declines (he’s still awesome just not the guy he was as consistently). Higgins isn’t a great separator and Mike is just not clutch any more. Both make the spectacular catch from time to time and I’d welcome them in Buffalo but Sutton and Odunze are top 5 WRs in this league with Josh as their QB

• Agree 3

49 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

There was some narrative early in the season that Allen was surrounded by bums. Josh is our best player and a top 3 qb but can we finally argee that there is legit good talent on this offense? 

- a top 5 receiver 

obviously, Allen is the star but can we finally admit this is a really good group around him? How many groups are better? SF, Philly, Miami, and maybe Detroit? 

Really good group is a stretch, imo.

More importantly, I think it should be better, particularly from the WR room.

Did not agree with the narrative that Josh was dragging bums to the playoff like Brady did for a couple years.

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Vikings obviously better

Cowboys

Bengals

Rams

Chargers

All likely better or close

Bills have midtier talent on offense

That makes the Bills top 7?  Top 10 is usually my cut off for "good."

I also disagree on Chargers. Ekeler is cooked. Allen is 1 thousand years old but still a star. Their first round WR is horrific.

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Really good group is a stretch, imo.

More importantly, I think it should be better, particularly from the WR room.

Did not agree with the narrative that Josh was dragging bums to the playoff like Brady did for a couple years.

That makes the Bills top 7?  Top 10 is usually my cut off for "good."

I also disagree on Chargers. Ekeler is cooked. Allen is 1 thousand years old but still a star. Their first round WR is horrific.

It's all relative right

If the Browns or Jets had a QB their weapons would look on par w ours

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills have enough talent on offense to beat any team in the league and to consistently be one of the best offenses in the league, if the talent is used properly.  Brady seems to be doing that.  That doesn't mean the Bills have All-Pro players at every position, but no team does and no team can.  The way the draft and salary cap is set up, talent is distributed around the league, and that's by design.  I have honestly never bought the narrative that because Sean McDermott was a defensive coordinator prior to becoming a head coach and is currently coordinating the Bills' defense, that he's a "defensive minded head coach" who doesn't care about offense.  The Bills have had one of the best offenses in the league the last few years.  They invested a top-10 draft pick in a QB (Allen), traded a 1st found pick for a top WR (Diggs), invested a 2nd round pick in a RB (Cook), a first round pick in a TE (Kincaid), and a 3rd round pick on another TE (Knox), and have spent high draft picks on offensive linemen (2nd round pick on Dawkins, who is pretty good; another 2nd rounder on Cody Ford, who was a flop, and yet another 2nd round pick on Torrence, who is a hit, and a 3rd round pick on Brown, who is somewhere in the middle, but arguably has risen to the level of a competent starter this season).  They've also spent free agent dollars on OL - Morse, McGovern, and matching the offer to Bates.  So, to say the offense has been ignored is incorrect.  Sure, they rely on Allen a lot, but that's because they can.

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

It's all relative right

If the Browns or Jets had a QB their weapons would look on par w ours

That's true.  But the Browns invested in DeShaun Watson and the Jests in Aaron Rodgers.  For different reasons, those guys have not worked out (at least not yet).  Good on the Bills for drafting the right QB at the right time, who is as durable and reliable a player as they come.

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

- a top 5 receiver 

The RB group is very good.  The TE group is very good.  The OL looks to be good/very good.  The WR group is lacking but they have roles that work what could be our new identity. Diggs is an elite WR that is having a rough go as of late.  I have no worries about him on game days.  Davis and Sheffield are two of the best blocking WRs in the league and aren’t bums in the passing game.  Shakir looks to be emerging as a solid WR3 option.  

Going forward- we only need to worry about adding a legit WR2……unless we just plan to pound the rock and decide resign gabe.  I don’t see that happening tho.  He’ll probably chase the most $ and I hope that’s not us). 

- a top 5 receiver 

they don't have a top 10 WR right now...

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

they don't have a top 10 WR right now...

Ahhh, the crusade continues!

if you asked every NfL to list their top 10 WRs, Diggs would be on everyone’s list.  

If you asked every analyst who their top 10 teams in the nfl were 5 weeks ago- not one would list Buffalo.  FF 5 weeks- we’re out everyones top 5.

We were always a top 5 team- we were just playing like 💩 suffering from a bad OC mixed with bad luck.  Diggs is in the midst of just that.  Doesn’t mean he’s not a top 10 WR.  He is.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

The only thing missing is the guy that can make the long play. Gabe was the one for a bit but no longer. 

Sadly it seems so, we do need him and his ankle to show out real soon, 

I like our chances with JA17 regardless. The supporting cast is definitely better though. 

I love Cook. The guy is #2 in the NFL in rushing right now, but is only #11 in rushing attempts. His YPC is 2nd only to CMC for a team's featured RB as well. Murray and Johnson give us altogether the best stable of RB's we've had since we had both Marshawn and Fred in the backfield. 

Diggs is still Diggs. I like the step forward we have seen from Shakir this year. By next season he should truly by holding down that Slot position and doing some work. Outside of him, Gabe is still Gabe (inconsistent) and the rest of the WR's have been meh. 

Kincaid has the chance to be a REAL weapon in this offense. He gets open, he's usually sure handed, knows how to use his body for leverage, and is a good route runner at the position. Knox, if nothing more, is a high end #2 TE at this point (even though his salary says he should be more). 

The OL is better this year than last for sure. Dawkins is having probably his best season. McGovern is a definite upgrade over the " Pro Bowl" LG Saffold. Torrence is much better than Bates was last year. The weak link is still Spencer Brown. In the run game he is solid, but he gets abused as a pass blocker multiple times a game. 

The biggest differences overall in the offense is the use of Cook out of the backfield as a receiver (any of the backs really), adding a guy like Kincaid for Josh, and the switch to Joe Brady at OC. Brady is doing some really good things right now, especially in the run game. The more time he has to implement his route concepts like he used at LSU, the ones that helped make that LSU offense one of the highest powered of all time, that same offense that helped make Burrow, Edwards-Helaire, Jefferson, and Chase 1st Round picks, we'll see it open up even more. IMO, he is the biggest difference right now. I also think that Brady "gets" Josh and we'll see the relationship grow even more as time goes along. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

- a top 5 receiver 

While I find it difficult to argue your points, it took a new offensive coordinator to put the pieces together.  All of the player talent matters little when the scheme and or play calls make them over reach.

With all of that said, remember that an advantage that joe Brady has right now is the fact that the league does not have a ton of game tape on him.  The NFL is very good about breaking teams down to identify tendencies and weaknesses.  I believe it is part of the reason why Mahomes and the Chiefs look a bit pedestrian right now.

Let’s hope Brady can continue to work his magic.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.