Snap Counts and Targets/Catches

Scott7975

With Knox back I wanted to look at snap counts. Really, I wanted to see personnel groupings, but I couldn't find it where I usually did in years past.  I also wanted to look at targets because our WR had practically nothing in this game.  Thought I would share if people were interested.

Snap Counts WR's (77 total offensive snaps)

Diggs 61 snaps 79.2%

Davis 63 snaps 81.8%

Shakir 47 snaps 61%

Harty 3 snaps 3.9%

Sherfield 15 snaps 19.5%

Snap Counts TE's

Kincaid 60 snaps 77.9%

Knox 36 snaps 46.8%

Morris 7 snaps 9.1%

Snap Counts RB's

Cook 34 snaps 44.2%

Murray 25 snaps 32.5%

Ty 16 snaps 20.8%

Gilliam 10 snaps 13%

Targets WR's

Diggs 11 targets 4 catches 24 yards

Davis 2 targets 0 catches

Harty 1 target 1 catch 25 yards

Shakir 1 target 1 catch 12 yards

Sherfield 2 targets 1 catch 9 yards

Targets TE's

Kincaid 8 targets 5 catches 21 yards

Knox 3 targets 3 catches 36 yards

Targets RB's

Cook 5 targets 5 catches 83 yards 1 TD

Murray 1 target 1 catch 21 yards

Ty 2 targets 2 catches 2 yards

Some thoughts... I don't know if it was the gameplan or just KC playing stellar defense but our WRs didn't do jack today.  Diggs dropped too many balls and that is becoming a habit. He is still great, but he needs to work on his hands.  Maybe he is injured?  Davis was invisible again.  I know he was wide open for a TD on that one play but other than that he dropped yet another good pass and was invisible all game.  I will say on the Murray fumble I am pretty sure it was Davis that knocked that ball out of bounds. 

Last thought... Cook was amazing. Especially on passes.  Might be his best game yet?  I don't know why we went away from him in the second half because he was most of our offense and was killing the Chiefs. I have no clue what adjustments KC made but he just was not utilized when he was money that whole time.  Even if they took him away, there had to be something else open that we never found.

If people like seeing these stats I can do them every week here forward if you want.  Just let me know.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

With Knox back I wanted to look at snap counts. Really, I wanted to see personnel groupings, but I couldn't find it where I usually did in years past.  I also wanted to look at targets because our WR had practically nothing in this game.  Thought I would share if people were interested.

Diggs 61 snaps 79.2%

Davis 63 snaps 81.8%

Shakir 47 snaps 61%

Harty 3 snaps 3.9%

Sherfield 15 snaps 19.5%

Snap Counts TE's

Kincaid 60 snaps 77.9%

Knox 36 snaps 46.8%

Morris 7 snaps 9.1%

Snap Counts RB's

Cook 34 snaps 44.2%

Murray 25 snaps 32.5%

Ty 16 snaps 20.8%

Gilliam 10 snaps 13%

Targets WR's

Targets TE's

Targets RB's

Some thoughts... I don't know if it was the gameplan or just KC playing stellar defense but our WRs didn't do jack today.  Diggs dropped too many balls and that is becoming a habit. He is still great, but he needs to work on his hands.  Maybe he is injured?  Davis was invisible again.  I know he was wide open for a TD on that one play but other than that he dropped yet another good pass and was invisible all game.  I will say on the Murray fumble I am pretty sure it was Davis that knocked that ball out of bounds. 

Last thought... Cook was amazing. Especially on passes.  Might be his best game yet?  I don't know why we went away from him in the second half because he was most of our offense and was killing the Chiefs. I have no clue what adjustments KC made but he just was not utilized when he was money that whole time.  Even if they took him away, there had to be something else open that we never found.

If people like seeing these stats I can do them every week here forward if you want.  Just let me know.

I thought he was really good in the Denver game too where he averaged almost 10 YPC. Of course the fumble on the first play of the game hurt.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Diggs 61 snaps 79.2%

Davis 63 snaps 81.8%

Shakir 47 snaps 61%

Harty 3 snaps 3.9%

Sherfield 15 snaps 19.5%

Snap Counts TE's

Kincaid 60 snaps 77.9%

Knox 36 snaps 46.8%

Morris 7 snaps 9.1%

Snap Counts RB's

Cook 34 snaps 44.2%

Murray 25 snaps 32.5%

Ty 16 snaps 20.8%

Gilliam 10 snaps 13%

Targets WR's

Targets TE's

Targets RB's

We are most dangerous when our back is coming out of the backfield. Its juts a numbers game - cant guard everyone. Our WR's dont get a ton of separation so when our back and/or TE is pass protecting its tough to get guys open. They need to get more creative and keep Cook on the field and a big part of the passing game. 

• Like (+1) 2

Good post, OP! The targets for Diggs with almost no production at all is concerning. Also what a waste Harty is on this roster. He had that nice catch but 3 total snaps? Davis also had a chance at Murray’s fumble but couldn’t corral it. Can’t even catch on the ground.  Also what did Ty Johnson do to get 20 snaps when Cook was doing so well? Kincaid seemed a lot mor involved than his line would indicate. He gets the tough short to intermediate stuff Beasley used to get.

• Like (+1) 1

Diggs was getting mugged quite a bit in the game and there were some borderline ones that the refs let have the "let them play" treatment.  Generally they were hitting him quite a bit when he did catch the ball.  

Not every team will follow - but i assume he's going to see a steady diet of gilmore this week if i had to guess.  

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, dreadlox said:

Good post, OP! The targets for Diggs with almost no production at all is concerning. Also what a waste Harty is on this roster. He had that nice catch but 3 total snaps? Davis also had a chance at Murray’s fumble but couldn’t corral it. Can’t even catch on the ground.  Also what did Ty Johnson do to get 20 snaps when Cook was doing so well? Kincaid seemed a lot mor involved than his line would indicate. He gets the tough short to intermediate stuff Beasley used to get.

Pretty sure it was Davis who purposely knocked it out of bounds. Smart “enough” play as it retained as Buffalo’s possession and he didn’t get a flag for it. 

Edited by KellyToTasker
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, KellyToTasker said:

Pretty sure it was Davis who purposely knocked it out of bounds. Smart “enough” play as it retained as Buffalo’s possession and he didn’t get a flag for it. 

Oh i didn’t see him knock it out. Well he deserves credit for that then. It could have been a huge turnover.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Spags does a good job of taking Diggs away.  Even in our great offensive performances against the Chiefs, Diggs usually isn't having great games in the stat box.

Yes he does but all of our receivers pretty much did nothing this game.  My concern with Diggs was the drops. He been dropping balls in a lot of games that he shouldn't be.  I don't know if he is injured or he lost focus or what but these balls he usually doesn't drop.

4 minutes ago, eball said:

3rd quarter play calling and offensive strategy was a disaster.  Glad they overcame it.

Brady just didn't seem to have an answer for the pressure.  I don't think many QBs would have survived back there.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Yes he does but all of our receivers pretty much did nothing this game.  My concern with Diggs was the drops. He been dropping balls in a lot of games that he shouldn't be.  I don't know if he is injured or he lost focus or what but these balls he usually doesn't drop.

Brady just didn't seem to have an answer for the pressure.  I don't think many QBs would have survived back there.

Drive 1 - 4 of the first 5 plays in the third were runs by Cook. He ran for 11, 3, 15, and 6 yards...clearly was working. The ran 5 more plays that drive and no Cook. Drive stalled and ended in field goal. 

Drives 2, 3, 4 - The next 14 plays only 1 Cook run and 3 drives ending in a punt. One of the ugliest stretches of the year with two drives netting negative yards. 

So after Cook running 4 times for 35 yards they go 19 plays with only 1 run and no passes to Cook. 

Drive 5 - Starts with 2 Cook runs and that is it for the 12 play drive. The big catch by Harty is the play that saves this drive. Then the penalty to give the Bills a first with 2:12 left...Cook time right? Nope, 3 straight passes and only 15 seconds and no KC TO's burned. We got very lucky...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Drive 1 - 4 of the first 5 plays in the third were runs by Cook. He ran for 11, 3, 15, and 6 yards...clearly was working. The ran 5 more plays that drive and no Cook. Drive stalled and ended in field goal. 

Drives 2, 3, 4 - The next 14 plays only 1 Cook run and 3 drives ending in a punt. One of the ugliest stretches of the year with two drives netting negative yards. 

So after Cook running 4 times for 35 yards they go 19 plays with only 1 run and no passes to Cook. 

Drive 5 - Starts with 2 Cook runs and that is it for the 12 play drive. The big catch by Harty is the play that saves this drive. Then the penalty to give the Bills a first with 2:12 left...Cook time right? Nope, 3 straight passes and only 15 seconds and no KC TO's burned. We got very lucky...

Ya, no idea why they got away from him.  Dude had 83 freaking yards on 5 catches!  Alot of that was YAC!

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Great work.

Is a breakdown of snaps and targets by half available?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, KellyToTasker said:

Looked to me like Davis first tried to fall on the ball, and then after fumbling it around himself, knew enough to then just knock it out.

1 minute ago, wettlaufer said:

Great work.

Is a breakdown of snaps and targets by half available?

From where I get it from no. (pro football reference in case you care) It shows on the season and I have to click on each player to get game by game.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2023-snap-counts.htm

Just now, strive_for_five_guy said:

Looked to me like Davis first tried to fall on the ball, and then after fumbling it around himself, knew enough to then just knock it out.

Yes that is what happened I think but at least he got it out.  You can see him give it a good whack to get it out.  It was pretty headsup once he realized he wasnt going to get control of it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, KellyToTasker said:

Yes, it was Davis. But I never saw a replay that actually made me think he did it intentionally.

Did you see one that did?

The Chiefs defense is really really good. They have players at all 3 levels. Their secondary has multiple pro bowl types, their Dline has an all pro and then like 2-3 Greg Rousseau types and their LBs are fast sideline to sideline players. Plus they don't wait for to adjust. They have a system and they are all about attacking. 

Diggs plays with little to no physicality.  His game is entirely about separation and good hands.  His days as an elite WR are numbered if not already over.  We need to bring in a twitchy athlete at WR next year.  Kincaid is probably a better athlete than all our WR’s.  He’s only pass catcher we have with a big catch radius.  The rest of them do not make contested catches.  

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Simon said:

Yes, it was Davis. But I never saw a replay that actually made me think he did it intentionally.

Did you see one that did?

Kinda hard to tell. He tries to scoop the ball to himself and it went right through him towards the sideline.  Too many people there but it looks like he reaches over and shoves it plus there were two more Bills on the sideline right there that might have helped it as well.  Can see the highlight here

https://www.nfl.com/games/bills-at-chiefs-2023-reg-14?active-tab=highlights

Edited by Scott7975
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dreadlox said:

What game did you watch?? Ty ran for two consecutive first downs, back-to-back in the first half. He was a GREAT change of pace when Cook was gassed. Ty is a stud and we are lucky Brady FINALLY uses him. Cook is the gadget toy, Ty is the bull we need.

7 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Kinda hard to tell. He tries to scoop the ball to himself and it went right through him towards the sideline.  Too many people there but it looks like he reaches over and shoves it plus there were two more Bills on the sideline right there that might have helped it as well.  Can see the highlight here

https://www.nfl.com/games/bills-at-chiefs-2023-reg-14?active-tab=highlights

gabe is the opposite of quick twitch.  that was such a poor effort of recovering the ball.  He’s basically an extra blocker running routes at this point.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Diggs 61 snaps 79.2%

Davis 63 snaps 81.8%

Shakir 47 snaps 61%

Harty 3 snaps 3.9%

Sherfield 15 snaps 19.5%

Snap Counts TE's

Kincaid 60 snaps 77.9%

Knox 36 snaps 46.8%

Morris 7 snaps 9.1%

Snap Counts RB's

Cook 34 snaps 44.2%

Murray 25 snaps 32.5%

Ty 16 snaps 20.8%

Gilliam 10 snaps 13%

Targets WR's

Targets TE's

Targets RB's

Not sure where you get this from, or if they list this, but do you know what percentage they ran 12 personnel?  I'm really curious to see how often Knox/Kincaid were used together out there.

And please don't try to look it up if it's not readily available.  Just curious in case you had it

5 hours ago, Virgil said:

Not sure where you get this from, or if they list this, but do you know what percentage they ran 12 personnel?  I'm really curious to see how often Knox/Kincaid were used together out there.

And please don't try to look it up if it's not readily available.  Just curious in case you had it

I can't seem to find it and don't remember where I got it from.  I used to look at it all the time.  That was actually what I was looking for originally before I got tired of looking and settled for snap counts.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.