Tyler Dunne story on McDermott - 3 parts, 25 interviews, one damning conclusion

Roundybout

On 12/10/2023 at 7:35 PM, RoscoeParrish said:

When I saw Josh Allen's post game where he talked about McDermott as one of the best people on the planet, I thought he seemed as though he were containing anger.  He's made it clear since that he considers he has a solid relationship with McDermott - maybe not a 'buddy' relationship where they smoke cigars and trade stupid bets and BBQ together like he did with Daboll, but a solid coaching relationship with a personal "I care about you off the field" component.  

Then this from Mitch.

It's clear that whoever Dunne quoted as saying McDermott has "zero" relationship with any of the offensive players because he's "mentally physically and psychologically incapable" of it, is mistaken.  Period.  McDermott clearly said the right thing at the right time for Mitch Morse, and Morse will never forget it.

Given how vehement the man-of-few-words Big Ed has been, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a story there too.  Maybe McDermott reached out to him after his 2020 DWI arrest/charges (charges dropped in August after blood test results showed no substances) and offered timely words of belief and encouragement that Ed will never forget, either.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Dunne

Dunne Dunne

Duuuuuuuuunnnnneeee

I was curious on how the players would respond and it looks favorable to McDermott.

McDermott still does have a lot disgruntled players/coaches so that's still a bit concerning IMO.

If we go on run.....Dunne might have to start applying to like Enterprise Rent a Car.

• Like (+1) 2

Really one of the dumber “hey look at me, i’m an amazing Journalist with an incredible investigative chops” articles i’ve ever seen.

I mean he chose to do this big expose’ on a god fearing vanilla milk toast coach. while he may be intense and with flaws, to the many people that know Sean he’s always sounded like a really good man.

Im sure there are several other coaches around the league that have much juicier behind the scenes material for a big article.

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

I don’t think this worked out the way TyTy was hoping. 

I think that's probably TBD (to be determined).  I think he was hoping it would draw in subscriptions.  It probably did. 

Now the question is how many of them will find enough other content (or just be lackadaisical) to not cancel.

15 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Really one of the dumber “hey look at me, i’m an amazing Journalist with an incredible investigative chops” articles i’ve ever seen.

I mean he chose to do this big expose’ on a god fearing vanilla milk toast coach. while he may be intense and with flaws, to the many people that know Sean he’s always sounded like a really good man.

Im sure there are several other coaches around the league that have much juicier behind the scenes material for a big article.

I think the intent of the article was to identify questionable coaching decisions for which McDermott was accountable, and to raise questions about whether he has the coaching abilities to lead the team and make winning decisions in "crunch time".  And it did that****...but it did so much else that it ultimately detracted from that intent.

Whoever it was upthread who pointed out that Dunne would probably have benefited from an editor probably has it right.  That's not intended to be a knock on Dunne's talent as a writer. 

Edit: ****and just to be clear, those are fair questions and until/unless we win the Superbowl and continue to contend, those questions will remain

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

He had a golden opportunity to do the same kind of story at the end of the Drought Era on Russ Brandon and Doug Whaley… and he blew it. :doh:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

When I saw Josh Allen's post game where he talked about McDermott as one of the best people on the planet, I thought he seemed as though he were containing anger.  He's made it clear since that he considers he has a solid relationship with McDermott - maybe not a 'buddy' relationship where they smoke cigars and trade stupid bets and BBQ together like he did with Daboll, but a solid coaching relationship with a personal "I care about you off the field" component.  

Then this from Mitch.

It's clear that whoever Dunne quoted as saying McDermott has "zero" relationship with any of the offensive players because he's "mentally physically and psychologically incapable" of it, is mistaken.  Period.  McDermott clearly said the right thing at the right time for Mitch Morse, and Morse will never forget it.

Given how vehement the man-of-few-words Big Ed has been, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a story there too.  Maybe McDermott reached out to him after his 2020 DWI arrest/charges (charges dropped in August after blood test results showed no substances) and offered timely words of belief and encouragement that Ed will never forget, either.

One of the other things that struck me from the Josh PC comments was he said something to the effect of how McD has grown.   In the aftermath of Hamlin there were multiple players who said words to the effect that it brought out a side of McD they had never seen before (impliction the "human element").  It made me realize that many of the "sources" in the story were commenting on their experience from years ago, and it was used to characterize him as he is today.  While still not without faults - he isn't necessarily the same coach/person today that he was for some/many of those source accounts

Edited by stevewin

4 minutes ago, stevewin said:

One of the other things that struck me from the Josh PC comments was he said something to the effect of how McD has grown.   In the aftermath of Hamlin there were multiple players who said words to the effect that it brought out a side of McD they had never seen before (impliction the "human element").  It made me realize that many of the "sources" were commenting on their experience from years ago, and it was used to characterize him as he is today.  While still not without faults - he isn't necessarily the same coach/person today that he was for some/many of those source accounts

Is your assertion that he's a better coach now? Because the results don't seem to reflect that.

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

Hence why myself and others point out that this wasnt "personal", it was all about Sean the "Professional"

Juicy and scandalous a la Russ Brandon would be about that person and their character.

The McD piece was all about gaffs as a coach, not a person.

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He's undefeated since this article came out.

He definitely coached Toney to line up Offside.

Or maybe the article did what McD the coach couldnt do, rally and motivate his players. We've been saying "This is the loss they needed to light a fire" for 2 years. Maybe this article was it.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Hence why myself and others point out that this wasnt "personal", it was all about Sean the "Professional"

Juicy and scandalous a la Russ Brandon would be about that person and their character.

He definitely coached Toney to line up Offside

McDermott probably asked Toney to move up on the ball on the next play because he was blocking his view.

Then when he saw the flag, Toney knew at the moment that he was duped.  

• Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm not sure I totally agree with that. I think it was critical of his character. Most of the anonymous sources weren't, they were about him the coach. But some of Dunne's language was definitely personal.

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.