Has Josh Allen reached his ceiling?

AZSanta

47 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I think he can hit 5000 passing yards eventually but 50 TDs might be a stretch. How much more do you want from him? Lol

Really? I would think 5,000 passing yards is a bigger stretch than 50 TD's. He's on pace for his 4th straight 40+ TD season. If anyone playing football today can put up 50+ TD's in a season it would be him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

No.....

Hopefully with Brady's offensive concepts and a dynamic WR2, Josh will reach one final level.  He's been averaging 43 total tds these last 3 seasons.  He's on pace for another 45 tds this year.  So he's done all this with basically an inconsistent run game and no true WR2.  So yes he's capable of a 50 td season.  As long as he can cut way down on turnovers which loses him possessions. The ball is in Beane's court. 

1 hour ago, PatsFanNH said:

Omg I am not even a Bills fan but GOD NO! He is still young and just entered his prime and he IMO doesn’t have an elite O around him. You give him 2 good WR, a good TE and he could break records. 

Not too mention coaching.

It's far from evident that he's been properly much less optimally coached.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, AZSanta said:

I have been an Allen supporter since he was drafted. I felt he was a perfect fit for the city. He is in year 6 of his career and has put up fairly consistent stats the last 3 years. Have we seen his best football or can he be better? By better I mean 5000+ passing yards and 50+ total tds. I personally believe he has hit his ceiling. I think he is what he is and I think we can win a Super Bowl with him playing at this level. I am just curios what others opinions are as to what they expect from him the rest of his career.

No. No. F*** no!  I believe you get your arse kicked for saying that. 😎

26 minutes ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

LOL...

No. He has way too many physical gifts. As long as he stays healthy and no longer agrees to be on the Madden Cover.

Not a Madden curse. It’s a Brittany curse. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, AZSanta said:

I have been an Allen supporter since he was drafted. I felt he was a perfect fit for the city. He is in year 6 of his career and has put up fairly consistent stats the last 3 years. Have we seen his best football or can he be better? By better I mean 5000+ passing yards and 50+ total tds. I personally believe he has hit his ceiling. I think he is what he is and I think we can win a Super Bowl with him playing at this level. I am just curios what others opinions are as to what they expect from him the rest of his career.

H3LL NO!!

There are at least 3 avenues that can lead to much higher level performance.

1)  Better offensive coaching.  To be clear, Allen hasnt worked with an offensive "savant".  A Reid, Shanahan, McVay, or Bellichek.

2)  Get his mind straight.  Not sure whats been going on, on the field or off the field.  But that 1000 mile stare tells me something isnt optimal.

3)  Better offensive talent.  Bradshaw had Swann and Stallworth.  Marino had Duper and Clayton.  Aikman had Irvin and whatshisname.  Mahomes had Hill and Kelce.  You get the picture.  Allen has Diggs, who is very good, and a bunch of maybes.

Allen is, without doubt, the most talented Bills QB in history.  I've seen them all.  Kemp, Lamonica, Ferguson, Kelly, Billy Joe, Flutie.  Allen has skills that none of those dudes had.  

Its up to Allen and Bills staff to get the most out of his skills.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Think about what we’ve seen in the history of the game and then think what we’ve from Allen in TD output in 2020-2023.

2020 he was 37 TDs passing, 8 TDs rushing. 

2021 he was 36 TDs passing, 6 TDs rushing. 

2022 he was 35 TDs passing, 7 TDs rushing.

In the history of the league, what QB has thrown for 40 TDs year after year? That’s a hard bar to clear in itself.

Isolated years Brady goes for 50, Mahomes goes for 50, Manning went for 55, Marino went for 48, Brees 46 and 43 in back to back year, Favre’s best was 38 & 39.

So with that historical context, I’d say it’s likely Allen is not going to get much more than 35-37 TDs, with one caveat.

We know he doesn’t go all out on film or physical conditioning, especially in the off-season. That’s the one door he can try to open, getting into the best shape of his life, working mechanics constantly with Palmer, studying film. 

If he commits to more work, he might be able to squeeze another 1/2 level out and get over 40 TDs passing in a single year. 

Diggs is 30, so could/will the Bills commit to getting Allen another top-flight WR before Diggs ages out? I guess that’s a second lever. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.