Dalton Kincaid: Beane's best pick since Allen?

Success

50 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Called it draft day. One of my favorite guys last year. We definitely need a better outside receiver to make DK even more dangerous. 

and he’s a great guy but that Knox contract is so bad now. 

Nothing wrong with having two good TE's.  Regardless of his limitations Knox is a RZ weapon that scores a lot of TD's and he's a plus blocker.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Man with No Name said:

MIlano is a stud. i was thinking he was from the previous regime

Milano was a McDermott pick, not a Beane one. 

I think Kincaid and Cook are really good. The positives of this season are those two and Bernard IMO. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I *****in love this guy. 

He's going to hold the Bills TE catches record for a season, this season.

Shout out Pete Metzelaars, buddy you took a beating for that record and had it a long time. 

13 hours ago, Success said:

He gets separation, has great hands, and very good YAC.  Mismatch for opposing D's, and when Knox comes back will be even more of a threat.

I see a guy w/ potential to be like Kelce.  Not AS good, since Kelce is the GOAT or close to it - but the same kind of 24x7 outlet for Allen.

Thoughts?

The kid has a ton of potential and I think your assessment is spot on.

He can be Kincaid, first of his kind though. 

***** Kelce!

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Fun fact about Kincaid this season. At 51 catches he already has more catches in a single season in 10 games than Gabe Davis has had in an entire season (his season high is 48 last year.) 

Also Kincaid had more catches just last night than Gabe has had over the last THREE games combined.

With 35% fewer catches, Davis has 12% more yards, more 1st downs and more than twice as many TDs.

Nope 

Bernard. By a mile

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Fun fact about Kincaid this season. At 51 catches he already has more catches in a single season in 10 games than Gabe Davis has had in an entire season (his season high is 48 last year.) 

Also Kincaid had more catches just last night than Gabe has had over the last THREE games combined.

Different catches tho, in fairness 

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

With 35% fewer catches, Davis has 12% more yards, more 1st downs and more than twice as many TDs.

As he should being a WR and running deeper routes. 

3 minutes ago, Bill Grundy said:

Nope 

Bernard. By a mile

Different catches tho, in fairness 

Agree wholeheartedly. And Kincaid is often a hot route option where Davis isn't. So that's a bonus. Fair to say Davis also has 200 more snaps on the season.

• Like (+1) 2

Beane has been mostly horrible in the draft but really starting to look like Kincaid is truly his best pick in years.

I was skeptical of this kid coming in and having a real impact as a rookie (especially with this coaching staff) but he's proven he's an elite talent.

I think Torrance has shown well too even though he hasn't been a Creed Humphrey type of pick I was hoping for but that type of thing is obviously rare too unless you are a top 10 oline pick.

I love Kincaid. I also love the fact that a rookie is being allowed to have the season he’s having on a McD team.

One concern I have:

Kincaid invariably puts his head down and tries to deliver the blow to the defender. I’m the process he puts the ball ( and his hands and arms) on the defender’s helmet. This happens way over 50% of the time.

From a guy who has demonstrated nice body control, I think he’s leaving yards on the field sometimes. And he’s clearly putting the ball and his catching extremities in harms way. 
    Picky? Maybe , but it seems coachable and I’d like to see him dodge a few guys from time to time instead of always seeking contact.

Flame away

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

BPA is the way to go in the draft. This proves it. 

The Cooler continues to clean house. 

Consider it severance pay, take the train. 

This next Draft we should probably go WR in the 1st round we need someone better behind Diggs in WR2 and also to eventually take his spot has he gets older.

17 hours ago, Whkfc said:

As I just said in another thread. I love Kincaid I think he will be a top 3 TE for the next 8 to 10 years. He could be the next Kelsey. He has it all size speed and hands

Kincaid is a better athlete than Kelce, in my opinion, but what makes Kelce great is his ability to consistently find open space. He is always open, somehow. He is also a little bigger than Kincaid.

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Kincaid is blocking a lot better them most of us thought he would.  There were a couple of great examples in yesterday's game.

Never been a fan of the draft takes that say things like will "never" be an able blocker before a player has had any time working with NFL position coaches that can coach up that ability a bit.

He has good balance and is quick off the line and has shown some good positioning on reach blocks on the edge, granted his technique still needs work as he has also given up some quick inside rushes when trying to set those up, but you can see progress. Needs some work on his picks/rubs as he mauled some defenders earlier this year, but all those things are things I feel he will correct quickly.

No club would be looking for big time inline blocking ability from Kincaid, that is not what we need from him as a great pass catching threat. Just holding his own long enough to spring the occasional outside zone run vs wider alignments or being able to reach/block and help seal the outside edges on stretch runs, sweeps, swing passes, screens, etc...

Really liked that smart blocking he did downfield on that Shakir TD - just throwing a bit of a hip check on a defender to throw them off their angle of pursuit.

• Like (+1) 1

Right now after week 11 he has:

51 receptions - 436 Yards - 2 TD

And he is just warming up and Josh trusts him now. I can see 80 receptions for 800 yards after the regular season. Would be an amazing rookie year. 

Edited by wppete
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, Success said:

He gets separation, has great hands, and very good YAC.  Mismatch for opposing D's, and when Knox comes back will be even more of a threat.

I see a guy w/ potential to be like Kelce.  Not AS good, since Kelce is the GOAT or close to it - but the same kind of 24x7 outlet for Allen.

Thoughts?

I agree completely except he’s our new TE1. If we’re not running 11 personnel, Knox takes a seat. He’s still not trustworthy enough.

8 hours ago, Since1981 said:

The Kincaid block spin move…FINALLY a player self aware that he need only “get in the way” far down field and it’s a non penalty block !

Loved it! Great vision and being creative. 0 chance for penalty and if he tries to lock someone up, risk of penalty pluuuuus there's no way he knocks all 3 out. Been seeing OL doing this kinda thing to avoid brutal blocks that will get flagged

Oh or the OL is behind pursuer and just gets in front a bit and stops, back to tackler. So simple but love seeing smart football like that to combat today's soft rules

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

[With apologies, I'm pulling The Richard move and cross-posting this from PGT. Seems more relevant here]

Carrying discussion of #86 a little further; nothing profound, but...

[1] Bills, or at least TBD, hoped for a "Beasley replacement", primarily as a sure-handed, go-to target/outlet, as well as a chain mover.

Conclusion: obviously only a rookie but he's getting there more quickly than I personally anticipated. 

[2] Top 5 TEs by reception totals are Hock, Engram, Kelce, Kincaid, LaPorta.

Normalizing for # targets, etc, it's interesting to look at Rec:Tgt (sure-handed), FD:Tgt (chain mover) ratios, along w Yac/Rec just for s&g.

H:    73.5; 39.2; 3.69

E:     79.7; 27.0; 5.17

Ke:   79.1; 41.7; 4.89

Ki:   87.9; 36.2; 4.29

L:    72.4; 36.2; 3.92

Reasonably favorable comparisons imv.**

[3] Looking at Beasley 2020, arguably his best year, he had 76.6 target success (Kincaid now at 87.9) and an incredible FD:Tgt rate of .495!! Again, Reuben not there yet, but looking the part.

**Realize many other issues on the table: TDs, explosive plays, yds/rec, etc. The data here are admittedly self-selective.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

So you disagreed with me that Dawson Knox is a bad contract?  Interesting 

I say Knox is a great third round pick, and adds a lot to the Bills.  Bills were smashing teams playing 12 personal.  Knox gets hurt, Bills offense slumps and we go to 5-5. 

Brady has already shown he is craftier and more adept than Dorsey.  Wait until Brady game plans with Knox and 12 personal!

Edited by Pete
  • Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, Success said:

Thoughts?

Beane has made a lot of very good picks, so it may be a tad early to label Kincaid the 2nd best just yet.  However, he is certainly trending that way.  But Oliver is in that convo, but also guys like Cook, Bernard, Benford, etc have great cases given where he found those picks too.  Kincaid is supposed to be a stud, those guys were after thoughts by most people here and are very good players for us now.  

• Like (+1) 3

I appreciate that from day one he has been a total pro. I think he must have had a very good upbringing with great parents and coaches because he is always completely engaged on every play from start to finish even if he isn't directly involved. That attitude in my experience is not inherent, it's something drilled into you from a young age. The 3-man block on Shakir's TD is one example that's been pointed out. Another good one is last week against the Broncos on Allen's TD run, when Kincaid saw Allen was starting to run he flashed his hands in a catching position just to hold his defender a tick longer to give Allen more space. He's the definition of a gamer.

Crazy thing is he didn't start playing football until late in life, senior year of high school if I recall correctly, so he still has so much room to grow as a player.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Shocked 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I appreciate that from day one he has been a total pro. I think he must have had a very good upbringing with great parents and coaches because he is always completely engaged on every play from start to finish even if he isn't directly involved. That attitude in my experience is not inherent, it's something drilled into you from a young age. The 3-man block on Shakir's TD is one example that's been pointed out. Another good one is last week against the Broncos on Allen's TD run, when Kincaid saw Allen was starting to run he flashed his hands in a catching position just to hold his defender a tick longer to give Allen more space. He's the definition of a gamer.

Crazy thing is he didn't start playing football until late in life, senior year of high school if I recall correctly, so he still has so much room to grow as a player.

Great post. Last paragraph is wild. Wonder If he did anything else. Seems like a lot of nfl ers have wrestling backgrounds. Just curious. Dudes a stud, and motivated to impress. Looks like he came in knowing, he's basically not been asked to block as a criticism.

Dude came out looking willing as hell to initiate contact, a guy that wants to turn a weakness into a strength. Sure I want him running around like kelce, but hard to not get fired up seeing him fly around being the most eager blocker on the field. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Milano was a McDermott pick, not a Beane one. 

I think Kincaid and Cook are really good. The positives of this season are those two and Bernard IMO. 

I like the player. But not at the draft capital they invested for him to only be churning out 50% of snaps at this point. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Wonder If he did anything else. Seems like a lot of nfl ers have wrestling backgrounds. Just curious.

He originally played basketball. He apparently joined his high school football team because his friends dared him to and the rest is history. Basketball players transitioning to TE is not an uncommon story.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, wppete said:

Right now after week 11 he has:

51 receptions - 436 Yards - 2 TD

And he is just warming up and Josh trusts him now. I can see 80 receptions for 800 yards after the regular season. Would be an amazing rookie year. 

He would need nearly a 50%  jump in yards per reception in the final 6 games........basically producing like Travis Kelce in 2020-2022........to get to 80 for 800.    

That's going to be a tall order with the schedule in front of them.

I loved the draft pick and he's been excellent for a rookie but at a paltry 8.5 yards per reception the training wheels haven't really been taken off yet.  

Looking forward to the point in the future where he's able to be used more downfield like the TD play against Denver.

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He would need nearly a 50%  jump in yards per reception in the final 6 games........basically producing like Travis Kelce in 2020-2022........to get to 80 for 800.    

I loved the draft pick and he's been excellent for a rookie but at a paltry 8.5 yards per reception the training wheels haven't really been taken off yet.  

Looking forward to the point in the future where he's able to be used more downfield like the TD play against Denver.

I was expecting some seam routes from him this year. Those are cover 2 and cover 3 beaters which we see all the time and Allen throws one of the prettiest seams I've ever seen. Maybe they will start working those in down the stretch now that he's gotten his feet underneath him.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/19/2023 at 8:37 PM, Billzgobowlin said:

What about Benford and Bernard.  They are looking like good picks

Yeah, this is a silly, not well thought out thread by an obvious hater with an axe to grind. Brandon may not be another Bobby Beathard, but he’s no Bill Belichek either. All Drafts are crap shoots. But he manages to find treasures under the rocks that supplement the team every year. He’s also selected a few studs that got ‘stolen’ from our practice squad as they learned how to be pro players. Nothing to see here.

I don’t really want to rank guys vs. guys at other positions. It’s just kind of weird to compare Dalton Kincaid to Taron Johnson for example. 

With that being said Kincaid was a really good pick. He was a blue-chip prospect that filled a need. The Bills got a guy that looks exactly like the guy that they drafted him to be. He is one of the best TEs in the league right now. Kincaid will play a huge role on this team moving forward. That was the goal when they selected him. He was a fantastic pick.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I can see it happening. His numbers and targets have gone up the last 3 weeks and now Josh trusts him and looks for him. I can see an average of  5-8 catches a game and 60-70 yards a game for the remainder games. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.