Jets @ Bills Postgame thread

Simon

57 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I know Sauce was getting trashed for his lack of effort on the TD and "tweet and delete" but he did the same thing earlier in the game also.  Just tried to hand tackle Shakir.  Maybe he's afraid of Shakir for some reason.

p_ZbXi.gif

Deion couldn't tackle either but Sauce ain't no Prime.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, SCBills said:

I think we needed to have two objectives against the Jets and their top tier defense:

1) Win

2) Get the Offense going

Check and Check

Cannot overstate how massive it would be to beat the Eagles and get to 7-5 for the bye.  10-7 "might" get us in, but 11-6 does and I think we'll all feel like that's absolutely possible if they can beat Philly.

Just like the Jets were a test for our "new offense", the Eagles will be a test to see if our new defense can slow down a top offense.

I listened to the postgame last night while driving home and Schopp/Bulldog were incredibly down on our defense, and while I get it... I also feel like Linval Joseph can give us 70% of Daquan Jones.  Similarly, Rasul Douglas 80-85% of Tre White.  Which means, as long as we don't continue to get decimated on that side of the ball, they really are trying to mask the loss of Milano.  Am I off-base to expect more from this defense than them being an albatross for the rest of the season and our offense needing to just win shootouts every game?

I’d say Douglas and White are pretty much trade offs, but Joseph is no replacement for Jones who is far more active and, of course, there is no one even close to Milano on the roster. The defense will play hard, but it’s going to take 30+ points minimum to win that game, IMO. And even that might not be enough.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

I know Sauce was getting trashed for his lack of effort on the TD and "tweet and delete" but he did the same thing earlier in the game also.  Just tried to hand tackle Shakir.  Maybe he's afraid of Shakir for some reason.

p_ZbXi.gif

Or maybe he is just an arrogant POS who does not want to get his nose dirty.  

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Another rough look for the "Dorsey wasn't the problem" crowd.

I mean...it COULD just be a coincidence that the Bills score 32 on a great Jets D and Josh shouts "I feel like I'm $@#%ing back!" the very first week without Dorsey at the helm. Or, ya know...

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

6 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Not to get too far ahead, but the Eagles are legit good. I was ready to call them a hype machine last year and while I am not a huge Hurts fan, they have an elite stable of WRs, run the ball enough to be effective, and they are great at short down conversion.

I think the bigger problem is Hurts is dangerous running the ball himself.  Our guys don't chase QBs so well.

6 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Wasn't like a first down catch he made that got erased by a penalty?

I went back and looked.  You are sort of correct.  Davis got a target and the Bills also got a penalty.  He didn't catch the ball though.

-10 Yard Penalty

(15:00) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass incomplete short right to G.Davis (B.Echols, A.Gardner) [C.Mosley]. PENALTY on BUF-D.Dawkins, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at NYJ 45 - No Play.

2nd & 6 at NYJ 45

• Simon unpinned this topic

4 hours ago, Logic said:

Another rough look for the "Dorsey wasn't the problem" crowd.

I mean...it COULD just be a coincidence that the Bills score 32 on a great Jets D and Josh shouts "I feel like I'm $@#%ing back!" the very first week without Dorsey at the helm. Or, ya know...

It feels that way on overreaction Monday.........but it's really not that big of an indictment of the work of Dorsey personally, IMO.   

Dorsey had his shortcomings but ultimately the players on offense are the most to blame for keeping many games too close this season with volumes of inexcusable turnovers...........and the fact of the matter is that the defense and special teams have given up leads the offense gave them at the very end of game 4 times.

Even if Nate Hackett himself were the OC of this team they should be no worse than 9-2 heading into the tough part of their schedule.

Something had to be done to get this team out of their funk.  A change was needed somewhere and it couldn't be McDermott and Smiley wasn't enough of a sacrifice to move the needle.   The OC took the hit and it was a good decision by McDermott to make the move, IMO.   It works out great that they have an experienced, energetic young play caller to take over.    If the best option was Mike Shula I think Smiley would have hit the unemployment line Monday.:lol:

I liked Joe Brady's game plan just fine......it was more conservative than a wicky-wacky Daboll game plan but it still had some gotcha plays that were very well timed.

But the biggest difference was still that they didn't turn the ball over and keep the inferior team in the game while they were struggling over and over to move the ball in the red zone in the first half.    Just keep chopping wood........gradually pull away........and then finish them.   That's the formula.   Ball luck helped Joe look smart as well.   Diggs and Allen both had fumbles that were not recovered by the Jets(the Allen fumble was recovered by Spencer Brown but got picked up for a penalty as well).    

• Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Dorsey had his shortcomings but ultimately the players on offense are the most to blame for keeping many games too close this season with volumes of inexcusable turnovers...........

But the biggest difference was still that they didn't turn the ball over and keep the inferior team in the game

I think you're giving short shrift to the unreal frequency of execution errors that killed drive after drive. It was worse than the turnovers, imo; more frustrating anyways.

I suspect that Dorsey was not a details guy in practice and that might be the biggest positive result from the change.

Agreed on the more traditional game plan; been whining for years that it's the best thing you can do for Allen.

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Simon said:

I think you're giving short shrift to the unreal frequency of execution errors that killed drive after drive. It was worse than the turnovers, imo; more frustrating anyways.

I suspect that Dorsey was not a details guy in practice and that might be the biggest positive result from the change.

Agreed on the more traditional game plan; been whining for years that it's the best thing you can do for Allen.

I haven't heard that Dorsey was inattentive to detail.   I'd heard the opposite.   The reality though is that he was a first time OC.   A true rookie OC hasn't won a SB in the last 40 years or so but McD let Josh choose his boy anyway.    I think the larger issue has really been what's gone on with Allen the past 12 months.........between the injuries and the stupid stuff off the field.   He hasn't handled the transition to fame and super-rich like one would hope.  More than anything I think Joshy needed a shot in the arm.   They go as he goes.   Simple as that.  

• Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.