Houston - a young team to keep an eye on

Dubie54

2 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I remember when that was the pervasive mantra here on these boards.   We can only win by drafting offensive players, offensive minded head coach and have to outscore  and race track every opponent on offense,   Offense offense offense as if Defense doesn't matter, totally illogical.

The Bills haven't won a game this season when the opponent has scored more than 21 points. League average this season is 21.

We basically need our defense to be above average, or we lose.

Kind of ruins the whole point of paying Josh and Diggs a half billion or whatever, imo.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

The Bills haven't won a game this season when the opponent has scored more than 21 points. League average this season is 21.

Kind of ruins the whole point of paying Josh and Diggs a half billion or whatever, imo.

The game that, THUS FAR, has blown up everything was the Patriots loss.  How we let Mac Jones have the game of his lifetime versus us was incomprehensible and I put that on coaching.  Just like during the "hurricane  game" with the wind a few years ago Belichek beat us  by coaching. and Belichek did to Dorian Williams exactly what he did to Tremaine Edmonds when he was a rookie, targeting him repeatedly till even McDermott even saw it and had to sit him.  

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

The game that, THUS FAR, has blown up everything was the Patriots loss.  How we let Mac Jones have the game of his lifetime versus us was incomprehensible and I put that on coaching.  Just like during the "hurricane  game" with the wind a few years ago Belichek beat us  by coaching. and Belichek did to Dorian Williams exactly what he did to Tremaine Edmonds when he was a rookie, targeting him repeatedly till even McDermott even saw it and had to sit him.  

Yeah that was a bad day at the office.

To your point about the offensive coaching, I'm still of the opinion that a good offensive coach is key for sustained offensive success.

Stroud looks really good. Maybe his OC gets poached this year or next. Maybe he gets some journeyman hack like Bill Lazor instead and struggles a bit more after that.

Not the best way to optimize the best asset on your team for 10 years.

They also have the Cardinals first round pick next year. Can you imagine if they make the playoffs and get a top 3 pick?

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Houston feels like where we were in 2019.

It was all starting to click.

I don't know about that. I'd say more like 2017. I don't think they are great but they are winning games. That 2019 Bills team was good going into great. Next year I can see the Texans being 2019 Bills

24 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I remember when that was the pervasive mantra here on these boards.   We can only win by drafting offensive players, offensive minded head coach and have to outscore  and race track every opponent on offense,   Offense offense offense as if Defense doesn't matter, totally illogical.

You remember this morning?

I have been on the Texans since early in the summer when people were saying they had traded away a top 5 pick (in next year's class). They have a good offensive line; two nice young receivers in Collins and Dell who complement each other; a good Tight End they got on a bargain deal; a decent running back and some young pieces on defense. 

At to that I think Demeco Ryans can coach and I said even if Stroud was just okay they would be a middling team. Stroud has been good and suddenly they are a playoff contender. My prediction pre-season was they'd finish 2nd in the division to Jax and be 8-9. They could even be bettet than that.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

They also have the Cardinals first round pick next year. Can you imagine if they make the playoffs and get a top 3 pick?

I don't know about that. I'd say more like 2017. I don't think they are great but they are winning games. That 2019 Bills team was good going into great. Next year I can see the Texans being 2019 Bills

The Cardinals have Houston pick you have it backwards 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

No they don't. Arizona have Houston's pick. That was the trade up for Anderson they were killed for at the time but was always a good move IMO. 

Houston have Cleveland's first as part of the Watson trade and an extra 4th from that trade too.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

No they don't. Arizona have Houston's pick. That was the trade up for Anderson they were killed for at the time but was always a good move IMO. 

Houston have Cleveland's first as part of the Watson trade and an extra 4th from that trade too.

Oh yeah, you're right. I had it backwards. My bad

1 hour ago, Dubie54 said:

Well after the 0-2 start they have gone 5-2, including a great win against the same Bengals team we couldn't put away last week. Stroud looks like the real deal and they appear to have two really good lines and a bunch of quality players. 

I was called out a little last week when I compared their stats in their win over TB to ours but now we have 2 weeks worth of stats to indicate they appear to have a stronger team than ours at this point in the year.

Stroud put up 356 and they run for 188 (150 for Motor!), when we passed for 258 and ran for 68. They also sacked Burrows 4 times and had 2 picks. We on the other hand had 1 sack and no picks.

Full disclosure, I didn't watch the game but caught the highlights and from what I saw they're a fun team to watch. There's a lot of enthusiasm on their sideline and they don't have the burden of being expected to do much of anything this year in their head, and appear to be having a lot of fun in the process. They have a relatively soft schedule the rest of the season, play 5 of their next 8 at home, so we'll see what happens.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/recap/_/gameId/401547504

51 minutes ago, FireChans said:

No, we just need to improve.  We already know that our season is over if we continue to play like this.  

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

Houston plays with the fire/intensity/moxie that I wish Buffalo did.  

That’s how they played a few years ago when they lost to Houston in the wild card and the year after when they got to the AFC Championship. This team is better talent wise but you can tell the last 2 years is weighing heavy and how things change when you’re expected to win vs surprising people 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.