Rasul Douglas to Bills - per Rap

SCBills

5 hours ago, SWATeam said:

He looks like a clearly different level player (from Dane at least) to my eye.  The size and length are apparent- and he actually uses that size to be physical within routes- and there's an energy around him that he's going to make a play on the ball.  He's just a perfect fit for this D IMO.

Not really a debate IMO. Maybe Benford close but not Dane.

1 hour ago, Dillenger4 said:

Not even a conversation. Douglas is the BEST CB the Bills have including a healthy Tre. Douglas is more aggressive and stronger.

Yeah, I'm not sure why it is one.  He played 60% of the snaps just 5 days after joining the team and started the next/last 2 games. 

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

We will see. I'm not totally sold yet based on a good game against the Jets. He has been steady in the other games, was very good yesterday. And I did later clarify my backup comment in that I just don't see him as an upgrade on Jackson and Benford. He can start in the NFL but I think he is a similar level of player to them. But the Bills clearly have considered him as a start so far and, in any event have had injuries to Benford and Jackson that have forced Douglas into the lineup early whether that was the plan or not. 

Yep, and I did later clarify that was my point. 

I have been really perplexed by your take on Douglas.

He's in no way, shape or form a backup in this DB group...........and he's the clear CB1 if the choices are Dane Jackson and Christian Benford(though they are both having their best seasons to date).

The guy not only brings the physical traits and instinctive play to excel in this defense but he's a leader and a very tough, physical player.

Can he run long with the league's fastest receivers?   No, but they haven't had a CB who was both good in the system and could run with sub 4.4 receivers since Gilmore.    

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

We will see. I'm not totally sold yet based on a good game against the Jets. He has been steady in the other games, was very good yesterday. And I did later clarify my backup comment in that I just don't see him as an upgrade on Jackson and Benford. He can start in the NFL but I think he is a similar level of player to them. But the Bills clearly have considered him as a start so far and, in any event have had injuries to Benford and Jackson that have forced Douglas into the lineup early whether that was the plan or not. 

Yep, and I did later clarify that was my point. 

Douglas is a perfect scheme fit for the Bills.  He will only improve as the year goes on. He is a huge upgrade on both of those players.  3rd in the NFL since 2021 with 12 INT's to only Trevon Diggs and Justin Simmons. 

He is also tied for 2nd with 17 combined INTs, Forced Fumbles and Fumble Recoveries with Jalen Ramsey and Trevon Diggs. 

Justin Simmons is #1 with 20.

Actual production matters.

You are dreaming if you think we are getting that production from either Benford or Jackson.  Those two would be lucky to half the INT's as Douglas combined in the next 3 seasons. 

Incredibly bad take by a normally solid poster.

image.thumb.png.a108d28d80ac047dd92bcfcf31958398.png

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I have been really perplexed by your take on Douglas.

He's in no way, shape or form a backup in this DB group...........and he's the clear CB1 if the choices are Dane Jackson and Christian Benford(though they are both having their best seasons to date).

The guy not only brings the physical traits and instinctive play to excel in this defense but he's a leader and a very tough, physical player.

Can he run long with the league's fastest receivers?   No, but they haven't had a CB who was both good in the system and could run with sub 4.4 receivers since Gilmore.    

He also makes turnovers! He did it with Green Bay too. Jackson and Benford do not. One of those dropped a pretty easy pick in the first quarter yesterday. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He also makes turnovers! He did it with Green Bay too. Jackson and Benford do not. One of those dropped a pretty easy pick in the first quarter yesterday. 

Yeah, those long arms and tenacity are the ingredient for making those happen.   He gave Tee Higgins all he could handle too.........it's hard for anyone to even challenge Higgins at the catch point but he was all up in his sh!t at the catch point.     

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/20/2023 at 7:34 AM, SUNTANBILLS FAN said:

All my packer fans were pissed we stole him! Literally said we stole 2 from them with Hyde a few years ago. BBB is awesome. 

Hyde was a free agent, one I advocated Bills to sign, who Packers did not seem to know what to do with and he ended up being substitute DB.  When free agency came Packers felt he would be over priced for role he was doing.

6 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Hyde was a free agent, one I advocated Bills to sign, who Packers did not seem to know what to do with and he ended up being substitute DB.  When free agency came Packers felt he would be over priced for role he was doing.

Packers didn't seem to know where to play him...if I remember correctly he started as a CB and then went to Safety, played some Nickel CB and was rotating like a swiss army knife for them for a while.  Bills made him strictly a safety and it worked out well for all involved.

Interesting article on Rasul Douglas - After game Lions QB Jared Goff told him they put in a play just for him:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/jared-goff-told-rasul-douglas-lions-put-td-play-in-knowing-douglas-would-jump-the-route

QUOTE:

“Just watching them from three years, every time they’re in the red zone, they speed break. They’ve got one route that they ran. For the last three years, they’ve been running it. I jumped it last year,” Douglas told Ryan Wood of USA Today. “Jared Goff threw it in the dirt. And he had it dialed up.

I saw him after the game after he took a knee. He walked up right up to me, and he was like, ‘Bro, you’re a hell of a player, but we knew we were going to get you on that one. We went over it every day in practice, and that’s the one you jumped. We only had one play off of it.’

So they put it in for me. I told him, ‘I knew it was coming.’

He was like, ‘That’s what we wanted you to do, is jump it, like you always do.’ So that’s just on me. I’ve just got to have better eyes.”

7 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Packers didn't seem to know where to play him...if I remember correctly he started as a CB and then went to Safety, played some Nickel CB and was rotating like a swiss army knife for them for a while.  Bills made him strictly a safety and it worked out well for all involved.

Exactly swiss army knife - sort of like Ryan Bates who can play multiple positions but for most of career does not have a designated starter position.

Some teams value these type of players, Bills certainly do, and other teams have schemes with very specific roles.

8 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

I would Douglas as our CB#2 right now behind Benford but his upside is higher. I expect him and Benford to be out starters for the rest of the season. When Tre comes back next year McD might have some decisions to make.

Douglas is a closer...I believe he leads the NFL in 4th Quarter/OT INTs over the last 3 years as well. There is no way in the world I would start either of the 2 players we have over Douglas.  It's not even close at this point.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.