Overrated & Underrated AFC Contenders

Wizard

What teams based off their record, momentum, upcoming schedule, and style of play, makes them overrated or underrated?

Curious how people view the AFC contenders.

Overrated

Chiefs

Bills 

Jacksonville

Underrated

Ravens

Dolphins

Bengals

I like Bills odds against any teams, but I believe Ravens and Cincy are the two teams that would be least ideal playoff matchup.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

How are the Dolphins underrated. Their 6 wins have come against cupcakes. The two good teams they have faced they got beat bad especially the Bills game. Tyreek can run around the field at 100 miles per hour it won't change the fact that the Dolphins are frauds.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 5
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Wizard said:

What teams based off their record, momentum, upcoming schedule, and style of play, makes them overrated or underrated?

Curious how people view the AFC contenders.

Overrated

Chiefs

Bills 

Jacksonville

Underrated

Ravens

Dolphins

Bengals

I like Bills odds against any teams, but I believe Ravens and Cincy are the two teams that would be least ideal playoff matchup.

I  was watching the last episode of Quarterback Season 1 on Netflix yesterday morning and Mahomes was on talking about the Bills-Cincy game and about the two teams since they already beat Jacksonville at that point and knew they would be playing one of them the next week.  It really stung when Mahomes said he thought Cincinnati was a better team but that the Bills could definitely still win and that he thought they matched up better with the Bills than the Bengals.  

I can't say he was wrong tho. They came out and T-Rolled us on both sides of the ball.

I can't say the Chiefs are overrated because they have won 2 Superbowls in the last 4 years, lost another and been to the AFCCG 5 straight times. Until they at minimum get knocked out in the divisional round, they are still the team to beat.  Now their D and Special Teams are actually really good too and they have become more balanced as well.

Jags are overrated. Bills as currently constructed with their defensive injuries are probably overrated as well. Doesn't mean they can't figure it out as the year goes on, just means right now they haven't yet.

Ravens and Dolphins are both overrated.  Jackson doesn't play well in the playoffs.  He tends to play his worst in those situations.  Has happened many times, including against us once.  Dolphins can't beat good teams, they got smoked by us and lost to Philly as well although they hung with them for a half and tied it after looking like they were about to get blown out initially. Not sure how anyone could say the Fins are underrated since everyone seems to be salivating about their offense and them scoring a bunch of points.

Bengals are underrated. Every year it's the same thing...they start out really slow, Burrow looks like he isn't even a DIII level QB, then by week 6 they start turning it on and go on a hot streak and finish near the top of the AFC. Their DC is a really good playoff DC and knows how to limit Mahomes and apparently the Bills as well...offense SHOULD be better than it is, especially in the playoffs, but they win because they play very solidly as a team.

Browns are underrated...they have a menacing D that can help keep them in any game and have been doing fairly well with Watson and their backups playing not great...if Watson comes back and gives them anything approaching good QB play, watch out.

In the NFC, it's looking like San Fran and Detroit are overrated...IMO, Purdy is starting to be figured out by opposing DC's and I think you are starting to see him fall back down to earth.  Their D isn't quite as fearsome as it looked earlier in the year either...Lions got absolutely demolished by the Ravens and it showed they have a long way to go in terms of being taken seriously in the upper echelon of teams, IMO.

Seattle is probably underrated.  They now lead the NFC West and have great WR's and CB's...Geno Smith continues to look like a solid, if unspectacular QB for them.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Gregg said:

How are the Dolphins underrated. Their 6 wins have come against cupcakes. The two good teams they have faced they got beat bad especially the Bills game. Tyreek can run around the field at 100 miles per hour it won't change the fact that the Dolphins are frauds.

Agree, everyone is enamored by the Fins in the National Media because they are the shiny car that goes 200 mph but can't brake at a red light.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Matt_In_NH said:

The Jets with Rodgers would be true contenders.  The entire North can make noise.

Pickett got hurt yesterday. I haven't heard if he will miss any games. They will go nowhere with Trubisky. The Steelers defense is pretty good, but the lack of a good offense won't allow them to hang with the Bengals and Ravens.

3 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

The Jets with Rodgers would be true contenders.  The entire North can make noise.

The Jets remind me of the Dick Jauron Bears where their offense was abysmal, but the D was so good they could steal a game as long as their QB didn't puke all over himself and actually did literally anything of value in the game.

Pretty much every game other than the Cowboys game was a nail biter because their D is so good it keeps teams under 20 points for the most part.

Just now, Gregg said:

Pickett got hurt yesterday. I haven't heard if he will miss any games. They will go nowhere with Trubisky. The Steelers defense is pretty good, but the lack of a good offense won't allow them to hang with the Bengals and Ravens.

Pickett has been pretty garbage mostly this year.  Their offense has been bad.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

The Jets remind me of the Dick Jauron Bears where their offense was abysmal, but the D was so good they could steal a game as long as their QB didn't puke all over himself and actually did literally anything of value in the game.

Pretty much every game other than the Cowboys game was a nail biter because their D is so good it keeps teams under 20 points for the most part.

Pickett has been pretty garbage mostly this year.  Their offense has been bad.

He is still the best option they have which isn't saying much.

The NFL is week to week.  Three weeks ago the 49ers were penciled in as SB champs and the Bengals were thrown out.

As of this moment, I think Cincinnati is the most dangerous team.  I trust Burrow more than Lamar in the playoffs and both have solid D.  I'd probably place KC 3rd in that list and then 4) Jax,  5) Buffalo, 6) Miami

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, zow2 said:

The NFL is week to week.  Three weeks ago the 49ers were penciled in as SB champs and the Bengals were thrown out.

As of this moment, I think Cincinnati is the most dangerous team.  I trust Burrow more than Lamar in the playoffs and both have solid D.  I'd probably place KC 3rd in that list and then 4) Jax,  5) Buffalo, 6) Miami

Lamar is terrible in the playoffs mostly. Burrow is average and Cincy has shown they can get it done up to a point.

I still don't really buy Jacksonville. I know they beat us but I would take a rematch with them in a heartbeat even if it's in Florida.

KC might be more dangerous than ever because their defense and special teams are top 5-7 now.  That's scary paired with Mahomes.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 2

I see 6 teams as being out of it, Raiders, Broncos, Patriots, Colts, Titans, Texans....the other 9 are fighting for 7 spots.  If you dont win your division, you are one of 5 fighting for 3 WC spots...that is how I see it.  You can argue Steelers wont stick, could be right, you could argue one of the south teams could make a run too but none of them are catching the Jags.   Interesting Bengals today are 4th in their division.....will be a tough game Sunday night.

7 minutes ago, zow2 said:

The Ravens match up well with the Bengals. Those teams usually play close games. The Ravens already won at Cincinnati. If they can beat them at home to sweep the series, then they will most likely win the division.

Pete Rozelle's dream of parity across the NFL is here. Literally any one of several teams could represent the AFC in the Super Bowl as they all have chinks in their armor:

-- Bills are inconsistent and the defense is banged up at every position

-- Aside from Mahomes/Kelce, the KC offense is not especially talented

-- Miami reminds me of the 1999 Jacksonville Jaguars -- went 14-2 and had the #1 seed in the playoffs that year but only played one quality opponent all year (Tennessee twice) and got bounced their first game in the playoffs (by Tennessee).

-- Lamar has all-world upside -- but hard to trust him to play that way for more than 2-3 games in a row.

-- Like last year, Cinci, struggled early on (especially on offense) largely due to injuries. They appear to have righted their ship (just in time to play the Bills).

-- Cleveland's defense is legitimate -- but without a reliable/healthy QB, not sure how far they will go. Same with the Jets.

-- Pittsburgh's record is a bit of a mirage. They have won a couple of games they had no business winning thanks to fluke plays. Also, the offense does not seem capable of scoring more than 20 points on a weekly basis.

-- Jacksonville has the advantage of playing in such a weak division -- although they have not exactly cleaned up in that division so far this year. Defense is underrated and their running game is legit. T. Lawrence still hasn't shown that he is elite, however.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Lamar is terrible in the playoffs mostly. Burrow is average and Cincy has shown they can get it done up to a point.

I still don't really buy Jacksonville. I know they beat us but I would take a rematch with them in a heartbeat even if it's in Florida.

KC might be more dangerous than ever because their defense and special teams are top 5-7 now.  That's scary paired with Mahomes.

Yeah, that's why I said at this moment.  Things will change a lot.  I agree about the KC defense, although they lost Nick Bolton for the next several weeks and he cannot be replaced.  I was down on Jax earlier in the season but they have a low key nasty defense, and their O can move the ball on anyone with good skill players.  I don't understand what happened vs Houston but they are a different team now.

Underrated: The Browns and Cincy.

The rest are who we think they are.

My dream is that we get to play Jax in the playoffs in Florida. We will smoke them!

It's anyone's road to the SB in the AFC. Jets are 1 game behind us and have the head-to-head. Don't count them out.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Gregg said:

The Ravens match up well with the Bengals. Those teams usually play close games. The Ravens already won at Cincinnati. If they can beat them at home to sweep the series, then they will most likely win the division.

I tend to agree,, I think the Bills should be watching a lot of Ravens film vs Cincinnati this week to figure out how they scheme the Bengals.  That being said, assuming that Burrow is healthy for the rematch I think Cinci will beat Baltimore.  I think both will get in the playoffs and will be dangerous, home field or not.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Jets without Rodgers are still a problem.  They are 4-3 and are a very tough out. They are also a bad matchup for the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Gregg said:

The Ravens are to the Bengals as the Jets are to us. Kryptonite. Ironically, we do better against the Ravens than the Bengals.

• Like (+1) 1

Both KC and Miami are frauds 

buffalo is underperforming and sad

id say Jacksonville and Baltimore I guess they are trending in the right direction?

bengals - though I think we get our butts handed to us this weekend - are also iffy.  Are they for real after the win over San Fran?  Or is San Fran in a funk?

up til them they haven’t beaten anyone worth anything but like I said I have a feeling that changes Sunday night when we get our worst regular season loss of the McDermott era

im not thrilled with the bills the last month and where cinci is heading for us to match up well

we are NOT TRUSTWORTHY 

Orlovsky on ESPN this morning listed 5 teams in the AFC as in a class by themselves.  Cinci, KC, Jax, Balt, Miami.   They all agreed Buffalo is not in that class due to a banged up D and too Josh Allen dependent.  That last line always cracks me up because I would argue that those other teams are VERY dependent on Burrow, Mahomes, Tua, Lamar and Lawrence.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

Not sure how a defending Superbowl Champion team could be frauds but you do you.

We had a good laugh at KC’s loss yesterday but they’re still contenders imo. Winning division games are not easy as the Bills have shown. Denver was not going to lose to KC forever. They’re professionals too. KC will still be there at the end to contend this year. 

• Like (+1) 2

I think Jacksonville and KC are legit because they have proven they can win ugly.  

The Ravens are always the champions of the "fall" season of the NFL.  They live and die with Lamar Jackson's health, and he's never healthy come December.  They will hobble into the playoffs as usual.  

The Bengals and Bills have the same problem - the offense is Burrow/Chase and Allen/Diggs, with lots of QB hero ball, and neither team has shown it can consistently move the ball if their dynamic duo is shut down.  

Miami is the most overrated - they cannot score on an above average defense, and in a game with bad weather, that offense is grounded like a fleet of WWII aircraft. 

1 minute ago, FrenchConnection said:

According to TBD, every team in the NFL is a bad matchup for the Bills.

A terrible Giants team with a backup QB, a terrible NE team, and a truly mediocre TB team on the road all proved to be bad matchups for the Bills, so maybe the conventional wisdom on TBD is correct? 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

A terrible Giants team with a backup QB, a terrible NE team, and a truly mediocre TB team on the road all proved to be bad matchups for the Bills, so maybe the conventional wisdom on TBD is correct? 

So why even play the games? Shut down Allen and Diggs and get a top-10 draft pick. Seems like the best option.

• Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

According to TBD, every team in the NFL is a bad matchup for the Bills.

The Bills have played very poorly against the Jets the last two years.  I can almost guaranty it will be a close game when they come to Buffalo in a few weeks.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

Don’t think JVille is overrated 

I do...they don't scare me at all in a rematch.

10 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

If only all games were played on paper and not on the field where a lot of this stuff is overrated and doesn't take into account the week-to-week nature of the NFL, matchups, tendencies, gameplans that might confound a team LONG ENOUGH to limit their production/scoring, etc.

Edited by Big Turk

Of the 6 AFC contenders I think the two teams out of the east are currently the weakest, mostly due to injuries. 

any of the 6 teams could win the AFC. The playoffs are going to be insane. 

4 NFC contenders, I still see as a 2 horse race but clearly things have gone sideways in San Francisco. Dallas is a pretender and Detroit is too inconsistent. 

19 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I honestly don't understand this response at all.

I've written 3 responses to this, but I can't find one that doesn't come off as condescending so I didn't post them. I see no need for a message board fight. But the gist of it is that I hate it when fans "pre-lose" games to avoid impending disappointment. 

1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Adrian Peterson made maybe the greatest recovery from ACL surgery and that was 8 months after.  And he was not 39.

ACL tears are one of the most widespread and devastating injuries for athletes, impacting the likes of Tom Brady, Tiger Woods and Chipper Jones. While many athletes find that an ACL injury puts them out of the game for months, if not years, advances in ACL surgery are making it possible for sports stars to get back to their games faster. Football great Adrian Peterson recently made a tremendous recovery after ACL reconstruction, opening the season just eight months after having surgery.

1 minute ago, FrenchConnection said:

I've written 3 responses to this, but I can't find one that doesn't come off as condescending so I didn't post them. I see no need for a message board fight. But the gist of it is that I hate it when fans "pre-lose" games to avoid impending disappointment. 

Feel free to condescend. I can take it. I never said that the Bills are pre-destined to lose (or anything close to it), so I don't know where that's coming from. I simply stated a basic fact: the Bills struggled to beat bad teams (two of them very bad) in the last three games, two of which were at home. 

1 hour ago, Drew21PA said:

buffalo is underperforming and sad

id say Jacksonville and Baltimore I guess they are trending in the right direction?

bengals - though I think we get our butts handed to us this weekend - are also iffy.  Are they for real after the win over San Fran?  Or is San Fran in a funk?

up til them they haven’t beaten anyone worth anything but like I said I have a feeling that changes Sunday night when we get our worst regular season loss of the McDermott era

im not thrilled with the bills the last month and where cinci is heading for us to match up well

we are NOT TRUSTWORTHY 

KC cannot be a fraud since they have won 2 SB's, lost a SB and made it to 5 straight AFCCG's.  Their defense is also top 5 in the NFL now which makes them possibly even more of a tough matchup in the playoffs. Until further notice they are always the team to beat in the AFC.

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Adrian Peterson made maybe the greatest recovery from ACL surgery and that was 8 months after.  And he was not 39.

ACL tears are one of the most widespread and devastating injuries for athletes, impacting the likes of Tom Brady, Tiger Woods and Chipper Jones. While many athletes find that an ACL injury puts them out of the game for months, if not years, advances in ACL surgery are making it possible for sports stars to get back to their games faster. Football great Adrian Peterson recently made a tremendous recovery after ACL reconstruction, opening the season just eight months after having surgery.

I guess it's a good thing Rodgers tore his Achilles then and not his ACL?

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

KC cannot be a fraud since they have won 2 SB's, lost a SB and made it to 5 straight AFCCG's.  Their defense is also top 5 in the NFL now which makes them possibly even more of a tough matchup in the playoffs. Until further notice they are always the team to beat in the AFC.

I guess it's a good thing Rodgers tore his Achilles then and not his ACL?

Oops Terrell Suggs returned 5 months after.  So again good luck Aaron.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.