Week 9 thread - We’re on to Cincinnati

BillsFan619

16 minutes ago, Caesar said:

We began taking the ball midway last season because our offense was sucking so bad to start the season, it seemed to help.  Not sure of the analytics, probably just a mental thing for us last year. 

When asked why so many coaches are choosing to defer, the Houston Texans’ special teams coach Brad Seely explained that it “comes down to the chance to pair a score at the end of the first half with one at the start of the second. It’s the only opportunity a team has for two straight possessions and can be a chance to instantly put the game out of reach.”

Seely explained that every coach would love to see their team get the ball at the start of the second half after a two-minute drive at the end of the first half. It’s a perfect game-winning scenario.

Analytics showed that teams who defer average scoring 1 extra point per game and they have a 12% chance to gain an extra possession. It's only been around since 2008 when the NFL finally adopted it from high school and college.  Before that, whoever won the toss got the ball first.

Interestingly enough, if you win the toss and you want to kickoff you have to defer because the team that doesn't choose in the first half gets to choose in the second half.  Remember watching a game back in the day, maybe right after they changed the rules to allowed deferrals, where the team chose to kickoff by mistake and the coach was going crazy on the sidelines because that meant the other team had the choice in the 2nd half, which it obviously chose to get the ball, meaning they received both the 1st and 2nd half kickoffs.

Kinda seems dumb that you can't just choose to kickoff first and have to force the other team to choose to receive the ball.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Caesar said:

So you just dont know ball?  Gotcha.  As long as it makes you happy, fell free to keep up the cheerleading and the trash talk kid,

Speaking of trash talk. I wonder how the heck an adult, collage educated in fact does not know how to read and truly comprehend what is being said. 

How can Boyd and Chase not  know how to break down simple sentences? The one Isaiah McKenzie made about how the Bills didn't plan well for the weather and the Bills game plan was not conducive to the conditions. They want to use that as Bulletin board material and then use it to tough talk. "We're here come beat us" lol. These dudes don't even know McKenzie isn't even on the team anymore. For real. Wonder if Carson Palmer has ever said anything about the Bills. Let's use it to go along with our "nobody respects us" narrative. it's silly.  

obviously this has nothing to do with you, so just know that I'm simply talking to you since your a fan. (Respect man)

Edited by Goin Breakdown
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Goin Breakdown said:

Speaking of trash talk. I wonder how the heck an adult, collage educated in fact does not know how to read and truly comprehend what is being said. 

How can Boyd and Chase not  know how to break down simple sentences? The one Isaiah McKenzie made about how the Bills didn't plan well for the weather and the Bills game plan was not conducive to the conditions. They want to use that as Bulletin board material and then use it to tough talk. "We're here come beat us" lol. These dudes don't even know McKenzie isn't even on the team anymore. For real. Wonder if Carson Palmer has ever said anything about the Bills. Let's use it to go along with our "nobody respects us" narrative. it's silly.  

You seem to think Boyd and Chase are Rhodes Scholars....?  The fragility here about the Bengals being asked about McKenzie's comment is quite sad.  It is like those of you whining about that never played ball in your life.  The Benglas do not care about any snow comments.  These are ball players answering questions from dumb beat reporters looking for a sound bite.  How do you NOT know this?

Fans overhype the bulletin board material because they are amateurs.  Now the playoff situation last year?  Sure that probably angered some of the players, the Bills had nothing to do with that, they were just the next game.

Every team has dumb players that say dumb things and many times just say whatever and every team has fragile amateur fans that take stupid statements way too seriously.  Professional NFL teams should not, and do not, require artificial stupid motivation to win a game.  But the bulletin board stupidity makes for message board content for the less uninformed people. 

1 minute ago, Caesar said:

You seem to think Boyd and Chase are Rhodes Scholars....?  The fragility here about the Bengals being asked about McKenzie's comment is quite sad.  It is like those of you whining about that never played ball in your life.  The Benglas do not care about any snow comments.  These are ball players answering questions from dumb beat reporters looking for a sound bite.  How do you NOT know this?

Fans overhype the bulletin board material because they are amateurs.  Now the playoff situation last year?  Sure that probably angered some of the players, the Bills had nothing to do with that, they were just the next game.

Every team has dumb players that say dumb things and many times just say whatever and every team has fragile amateur fans that take stupid statements way too seriously.  Professional NFL teams should not, and do not, require artificial stupid motivation to win a game.  But the bulletin board stupidity makes for message board content for the less uninformed people. 

So glad you're back to remind everyone how stupid and fragile they are.

• Like (+1) 4

27 minutes ago, Caesar said:

Except one Bills player actually did say that.  I'm not sure that any others did.  That happens, trust me we had to deal with Eli Apple.

Except that did not happen.  The Bengals or the fans do not have any ill will towards Buffalo.  You guys also used to like us as well until we got Burrow....

I've enjoyed reading your contributions on a Bills fan board, but have to question the bolded. You may have forgotten, but before Hamlin collapsed on the field, Hendrickson very obviously rolled up on Allen, and Hurst pile drove Dane Jackson's head & neck into the turf. There's no place in the game for that crap and those type of things are not forgotten.

17 minutes ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

I've enjoyed reading your contributions on a Bills fan board, but have to question the bolded. You may have forgotten, but before Hamlin collapsed on the field, Hendrickson very obviously rolled up on Allen, and Hurst pile drove Dane Jackson's head & neck into the turf. There's no place in the game for that crap and those type of things are not forgotten.

I was there.  I've watched it 100 times.  Try watching it in real time, a massive man pushed a 280 pound man to the ground and he rolled one time.  We do not have dirty players.  Ravens and Steelers own that in our division.  I get that it is your QB but this has been analyzed, I would suggest watching it in real time. 

I do remember the Hurst block somewhat but not definitively.  Hurst was super aggressive on every single play, I stand by the statement that our guys do not want to intentionally hurt another player, but Hurst would push the edge the closest by far. 

17 minutes ago, Franco_92 said:

Lol I forgot about that loser poster from Cinci. Go home you clown

And yes your players are dirty and stupid

We have ignorant posters like this on our board as well. And we shut our own stupid posters down immediately if the opposing fan is simply talking ball and being respectful.   We like talking ball with others so that we are more informed about the other team.  Our stupid fans that act like this only embarrass themselves and us when they make these types of comments, thus they are appropriately checked.

Edited by Caesar

Hmm...can't add "another" if you don't already have one to begin with 😂

7 minutes ago, Caesar said:

I was there.  I've watched it 100 times.  Try watching it in real time, a massive man pushed a 280 pound man to the ground and he rolled one time.  We do not have dirty players.  Ravens and Steelers own that in our division.  I get that it is your QB but this has been analyzed, I would suggest watching it in real time. 

I do remember the Hurst block somewhat but not definitely.  Hurst was super aggressive on every single play, I stand by the statement that our guys do not want to intentionally hurt another player, but Hurst would push the edge the closest by far. 

We have ignorant posters like this on our board as well. And we shut our own stupid posters down immediately if the opposing fan is simply talking ball and being respectful.   We like talking ball with others so that we are more informed about the other team.  Our stupid fans that act like this only embarrass themselves and us when they make these types of comments, thus they are appropriately checked.

But here is the key question...

Gold Star or Skyline?

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Caesar said:

I do remember the Hurst block somewhat but not definitely.  Hurst was super aggressive on every single play, I stand by the statement that our guys do not want to intentionally hurt another player, but Hurst would push the edge the closest by far. 

Talk ball?? Umm.. like as in the world series? I mean, who says "let's talk ball" referring to Football? That's a baseball term.

Maybe it's an OHIO thing. Not sure, don't care. But let's talk ball boyeeeeeeeeeeees!!!!1

6 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Hmm...can't add "another" if you don't already have one to begin with 😂

But here is the key question...

Gold Star or Skyline?

Skyline all the way. Medium 4-way with beans and a diet Doctor Pepper. BTW, Cincinnati is the only place in the world where you can get a kids 3-way in a drive-thru.

• Dislike 1

19 hours ago, Caesar said:

We'll agree to disagree on Hendrickson, from my view he extended/continued his barrel roll unnecessarily then finished it with a leg kick/whip into Allen's knee. That may or may not have been intentional, who knows. I've watched the replay in slomo and real time countless times. I'd encourage you to watch the Hurst hit on Jackson.

I'm not suggesting the Bengals have dirty players - these 2 examples may have been isolated events. At least you guys don't have the idiot/criminal Apple anymore, he's now stuck in our division with Miami.

Edited by BuffaninSarasota
add
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Skyline all the way. Medium 4-way with beans and a diet Doctor Pepper. BTW, Cincinnati is the only place in the world where you can get a kids 3-way in a drive-thru.

Boo!!  I am not a Skyline fan...lived in Cincy for a little over a year back in the late 90s...was Team Gold Star...

I caught a lot of flack for that 😂

1 minute ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

We'll agree to disagree on Hendrickson, from my view he extended/continued his roll unnecessarily then finished it with a leg kick/whip into Allen's knee. That may or may not have been intentional, who knows. I've watched the replay in slomo and real time countless times. I'd encourage you to watch the Hurst hit on Jackson.

I'm not suggesting the Bengals have dirty players - these 2 examples may have been isolated events. At least you guys don't have the idiot/criminal Apple anymore, he's now stuck in our division with Miami.

Apple was such a headache, simply not an intelligent person.  He was so awful his first few weeks but then became a very productive player.

We paid him $1M to be CB4.  CB1 went down and he played CB2 all the way to the SB.

We paid him $3M to be CB2 for awhile until rookie was ready and then benched, CB1 went down and he played CB2 for 10 straight wins and AFCCG.

Like/Hate relationship with this guy.

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Boo!!  I am not a Skyline fan...lived in Cincy for a little over a year back in the late 90s...was Team Gold Star...

I like GoldStar better as well.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Caesar said:

You sure are mouthy for a guest in enemy territory. 

We get all sorts of visiting fans from opposing teams. You sure are choosing to go about your business an...in interesting way.

Good luck to you, and good luck to your Bengals this Sunday.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

I don't think that I have ever seen a single person in a Gold Star. They are like the mattress stores of chili parlors. 

35 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

obviously this has nothing to do with you, so just know that I'm simply talking to you since your a fan. (Respect man)

I despise those clowns. Probably even more than KC. The manufactured narratives are irritating (i.e., get your refunds) and aren't based in facts. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

We get all sorts of visiting fans from opposing teams. You sure are choosing to go about your business an...in interesting way.

He is dreadful, he was last season too. ZeroVoltz (KC), PatsFaninNH etc. very rarely have any problems because they aren't obnoxious 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Logic said:

I know I get a little too snarky with some of the antagonists, I'll try to do better.  I do hope for a injury free game for both teams and that any Bills fans attending to have a wonderful time.  Those I met last season were awesome people. 

7 minutes ago, Mailman said:

I despise those clowns. Probably even more than KC. The manufactured narratives are irritating (i.e., get your refunds) and aren't based in facts. 

Get your refunds was totally manufactured, but the league didnt handle the situation well in our opinion and was low hanging fruit.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

if it was something bad, you'd think he'd have a designation as questionable.  Suppose that can change

Either way this means Ra's al Ghul  needs to play 

You'd think... except that Elam was never listed on the injury report and now he's on IR and (correct me if I'm wrong) is reportedly having surgery on that ankle.

2 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

You'd think... except that Elam was never listed on the injury report and now he's on IR and (correct me if I'm wrong) is reportedly having surgery on that ankle.

I'm almost certain Elam has been on and off the injury report going back to camp and through the season. He was listed as questionable at least once I thought. He was listed as DNP on Wednesday 

Edited by Warriorspikes51

6 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Wrong, Elam was on the injury report from week 7 onward. 

https://www.buffalobills.com/team/injury-report/week/REG-7

https://www.buffalobills.com/team/injury-report/week/REG-8

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Caesar said:

Refute the fact that the Bengals are NOT hobbling injury wise?  Sure, we have no starters in danger of missing the game due to injuries.

As to the defense I have continually stated that we give up way too many yards.  It is kind of tricky stat wise though.

We were awful vs the Browns vs the run - but a closer look reveals that we held them to under 2 yds per carry 9 out of 10 times and then give up a 20 yarder a couple times. The offense did NOTHING and the game got away in the rain, vs a great oline and RB, and the 4th Qtr they just stomped us.
49ers had 365 yards passing, but 156 came on 3 drives vs prevent defense that ended in zero points.

We will always give up yards, we always have.  With Burrow and Higgins healthy hopefully the offense can stay on the field a little longer which will help. 

Allen is always a dual threat and if he goes off I will not be surprised just because of who he is.

Nope not the injury part, just the Bengals defense giving up the most big plays per game in the league part. I think your bolded part above addresses it better than your “interesting take” reply from earlier to the poster whose main point seemed to be that the Bengals D is bad.

My brief research shows Bengals’ red zone defense is top 15, which probably helps balance out being the worst at giving up big plays. 

FWIW, the Bills are toward the bottom of the league in giving up big plays but unlike Bengals most of those are runs. I’d have guessed the Bills have a worse red zone defense but ours is top 10. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Nope not the injury part, just the Bengals defense giving up the most big plays per game in the league part. I think your bolded part above addresses it better than your “interesting take” reply from earlier to the poster whose main point seemed to be that the Bengals D is bad.

My brief research shows Bengals’ red zone defense is top 15, which probably helps balance out being the worst at giving up big plays. 

FWIW, the Bills are toward the bottom of the league in giving up big plays but unlike Bengals most of those are runs. I’d have guessed the Bills have a worse red zone defense but ours is top 10. 

We are the epitome of bend dont break, we give up a ton of yards at times.  Lou says "yards in stead of points".   Basically worked out ok the last couple of years.  Im not sure any stats can truly provide a clear picture of our team at this time.  The offense was so screwed up the first 6 weeks it impacted everything. 
The Bills game will tell us if we have turned a corner or not.

• Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Caesar said:

We are the epitome of bend dont break, we give up a ton of yards at times.  Lou says "yards in stead of points".   Basically worked out ok the last couple of years.  Im not sure any stats can truly provide a clear picture of our team at this time.  The offense was so screwed up the first 6 weeks it impacted everything. 

Just once I’d like to see a DC whose philosophy is “Don’t bend, don’t break”

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Just once I’d like to see a DC whose philosophy is “Don’t bend, don’t break”

I couldnt agree more brother.  My only guess is that the rules favor the offense so much these days that the defense is playing with one hand tied behind its back.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Caesar said:

Nobody cares peewee

11 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Here we go boys! Welcome to Buffaloooo! You're gonna love it. Pound the Bungles, which should be easy, and we are off to the SB baby! I can't frickin wait for Sunday night! GONNA BE A CURBSTOMP BEATDOWN on McCauley Burrow

4 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

JOE MIXON LISTED AS QUESTIONABLE.

Hopefully that dirt bag doesn't play.   Guy was involved in a domestic incident the day before the playoff game wasn't he?

He's a doosh and so is the fake Burrow. Total doosh. Can't wait to play them. Bills will be on fire baby.

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Damn...Bills STILL best Pass Pro team in the NFL based on the composite rankings...

Run blocking not so shabby either...6th in the composite rankings...

https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1719728054111543370/photo/1

This is a high level offense (largely due to our elite QB). I think the general fan base loses perspective when they aren’t operating at maximum efficiency. 

We freak when we lose to the Pats, aren’t all together vs the Giants, etc.

At the end of the day, we need this team  humming in January. They’re going to be okay based on measurements such as these 

30 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

if it was something bad, you'd think he'd have a designation as questionable.  Suppose that can change

I mean with Elam to IR, he pretty much has to at least dress unless they think Ingram knowing the defense is a better option.

45 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Sal C claims it's nothing to worry about and he is healthy as denoted by no designation.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Damn...Bills STILL best Pass Pro team in the NFL based on the composite rankings...

Run blocking not so shabby either...6th in the composite rankings...

https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1719728054111543370/photo/1

The OL has generally looked better than last year.  But I'm suspicious of any metric that says our OL is the very best at pass pro.  

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Sal C claims it's nothing to worry about and he is healthy as denoted by no designation.

Agree, there would be a "questionable" designation assigned if it was bad.  Nobody is pulling a hammy Thur/Fri then playing on a Sunday.

IIRC LY, Gabe hurt his ankle Saturday (before Titans MNF) and listed as questionable.  Ultimately he didnt play. 

All that to say, I think Benford is fine/prob missed a few reps that's all.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.