Dalton Kincaid - Khalil Shakir - Elite Hands - YAC

BuffaloBill

That sideline Kincaid catch is elite. He is a pure hands catcher. What we’ve seen from him over of past two games should be his baseline. His ability to make tough catches in traffic, with reliability, is exactly who I thought he could be for this team. I am never expecting him to be a guy that catches a pass and houses it. He’s going to be a short ti intermediate threat to move the chains and get vertical quickly. His roughly 6-70-0.5 is about what I expect on a weekly basis. 

If I had one criticism with him in the pass game it’d be that he seems a bit light through contact with the rock in his hands. There has been a few times he’s been right at the sticks and has come up short. I think a year of NFL training could benefit him. 

Overall, I am very excited about his future. The baseline is set, but what can he become? 

Shakir is JAG who has made some easy catches and got upfield quickly. He blocks well on the perimeter and when mixing it up in the box. He’s a guy that’ll be around through his rookie deal, and no more. We’ll be constantly wondering why the 5th round pick isn’t contributing more…as this thread might suggest he should be…but at the end of the deal, he’s a decent role player on a contending team. That’s his ceiling IMO

8 hours ago, SoMAn said:

I like Shakir.
Last year he showed flashes as a rookie. I can’t understand why he’s kept under wraps instead of giving him game experience to develop chemistry with Josh to make the most of his skills. Instead, they bring in Beasley and Brown, then Harty and Sherfield while effectively ignoring the diamond in the rough waiting to be polished. 

Shakir had a terrible camp and preseason.   

After his issues with drops when given those chances to play last season.........including that game changing drop in the WC game.........it seems to have taken him a while to earn back chances.

2 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

That’s cool. He was a basketball player before he played football so it makes a lot of sense. Did they announce him? How did the crowd react? And before anyone freaks out, the Bills are off until Monday.

They did announce him and showed his TD as well. He got big cheer from a Toronto crowd.

• Like (+1) 2

One thing I appreciate about both Shakir and Kincaid is their understanding of body control and leverage at the catch point. That ability to catch the ball and immediately start moving to the cleanest window to maximize YAC is impressive, and something that has been sorely lacking from our offense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I’m sure it has been mentioned in this thread, but having yelled at my screen multiple times during multiple games… I sure hope Shakir’s elite hands become elite in consistency and reliability. Because he sure drops a lot of noticeable opportunities… like a lot. I loved it when we drafted him, but holy dang, catch the fricken ball on a regular basis!

5 hours ago, Prospector said:

I’m sure it has been mentioned in this thread, but having yelled at my screen multiple times during multiple games… I sure hope Shakir’s elite hands become elite in consistency and reliability. Because he sure drops a lot of noticeable opportunities… like a lot. I loved it when we drafted him, but holy dang, catch the fricken ball on a regular basis!

He has 14 catches on 15 targets this year, that’s pretty consistent 

• Like (+1) 1

I hope they keep throwing the ball to Shakir.  If he sucks like most people think then perhaps the Bills will replace him next year.  If he does well, it will help the Bills win more games.  It makes no sense to have a WR get the amount of snaps he's been getting and not throw the ball to him 5 - 7 times a game.  That lack of involvement just makes it easier for the opposing defense to focus on Diggs, Davis and Kincaid.

• Agree 3

Kincaid we know has elite traits. And looks impressive immediately as a rookie. He’s closer to kelce in comparison than any other TE in football. It’s really not up for debate

now shakir - he reminds me of a more athletic and faster Hines ward. Just big catches for first downs. He catches over the middle. Quick catch and turn upfield. He also had an awesome angry run / yac vs tampa.

when we were all B -wording bills/Allen last season for taking deep shots w the underneath stuff wide open for firsts (think Miami playoff game). A lot of those were shakir. Josh just needs to get these other guys the ball more.

47 minutes ago, finn said:

Kincaid looks like he might be an increasingly important weapon for the Bills. But next year, watch out. That's when he really might break out. 

that’s why Kincaid needs to be absolutely force-fed the next several weeks. So he’s playing like a second year pro this upcoming January. 

• Agree 1

Might go a different route that may not be appreciated but

ken Dorsey - nice job getting these guys involved and trusting them to get it done!

woah - uh oh !!!

back to these two I think they were always there but you have to see and give credit to Ken that he changed some things up to implement more weapons while still getting Diggs his meal 

23 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

I think last game showed 11 personnel is the way to go.  Sadly, I think it also showed our 17 million dollar a year tight end isn't the best tight end on our roster.

Knox's contract is for $13M a year, not $17M. And that's a big deal, the difference between Knox being the 9th highest paid TE in terms of AAV at $13M, vs. the #1 highest, Waller at $17M.

I also think last game showed that 11 personnel is the way to go ... against some teams, and at some times. I think there will be plenty of room for 12 personnel going forward after Knox is healthy. But fair enough that it may happen less than they appear to have planned.

The Bucs are mostly a man-to-man team. Things might look very different against different defenses.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Overall, I am very excited about his future. The baseline is set, but what can he become? 

Shakir is JAG who has made some easy catches and got upfield quickly. He blocks well on the perimeter and when mixing it up in the box. He’s a guy that’ll be around through his rookie deal, and no more. We’ll be constantly wondering why the 5th round pick isn’t contributing more…as this thread might suggest he should be…but at the end of the deal, he’s a decent role player on a contending team. That’s his ceiling IMO

Why would anyone think Shakir, a 5th rounder who's still early in his second year, is at his ceiling?

It's possible. But it's more likely he's got plenty space left before he reaches his ceiling.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Why would anyone think Shakir, a 5th rounder who's still early in his second year, is at his ceiling?

It's possible. But it's more likely he's got plenty space left before he reaches his ceiling.

Temper expectations. 

We have had the same thing play out the last few years. 

- Bills lack additional WR talent

- Bills acquire players at position

- Fans overbuy how potentially good said players are

- Guys under produce by our unreasonable standards.

In 12 games last year his highest performance was 3-75-1 against the Steelers. 

So far this season it’s last week’s 6-92. 

That’s good productions for a 5th rounder who’s measurable aren’t anything specials. However, these are the outliers. The ceiling he’ll bring to this team. Not the baseline or expectation as it could be with Kincaid. 

The only argument here is that more opportunity will create better output. Maybe. I won’t hold my breath. This team can’t wait around for that. 

If you have any statistics or rationale as to why you’d expect anything different, I’m all ears. 

16 hours ago, DCofNC said:

There’s a lot of college experience to look at.  He’s no where near as bad as Davis, but you also need to realize a large part of why you don’t have a bigger sample size was the drop/ reception rate last year.  In 20 targets he had 2 drops, 10% rate, and a 50% reception rate.  His college experience shows similar track record.  He’s got a lot of skills in the open field, but a great WR, he was not.

10% drop rate on 20 targets is not a real drop rate though.  That’s like saying Cook has a 10% fumble rate after 10 Carrie’s because he fumbled his first snap.  That number will never hold up that high.  

And it was him as a rookie with limited playing time.  

And your comments about college are incorrect as well.  He had very good hands in college, and you can read any of his draft profiles to see that as well.  I was high on him coming into the draft cuz I loved him in college.  He was projected to go as early as the 2nd round, his size and frame were his biggest concern coming into the draft, not his hands.  I’ve even linked a couple below if you want learn more about Shakir.  

There is a reason he was seen as one of the biggest steaks of the draft when Bills got him and it’s why Beane heard from a bunch of GMs they were not happy we got him.

So again, this notion he doesn’t have great hands is not fair to him based on his first 20 targets, and the claims he didn’t have good hands in college are not accurate either.  And now he has no drops this year and that cuts that “10%” in half already and we aren’t even halfway through the season yet.  

All good, not like I think you have an agenda or something, just like to point out when I see people posting similar things that it’s really not a fair characterization of him and people should be more optimistic about him.  

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/news/khalilshakir

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/10021509-khalil-shakir-nfl-draft-2022-scouting-report-for-boise-state-wr.amp.html

• Like (+1) 1

Given the dislike of Beasley he was a intricate part of a very potent offense while he was here & it is something the Bills have missed since he was let go for being out spoken . Shakir i hope can be that guy & i hope they get him & others signed before they hit the FA market .

Josh has weapons all around him & the way they used Gabe this last game was 100 times better than where they had been using him prior to this last week so given that they are figuring it out & i hope they continue to look in the direction on offense that they did this game weapons are there .

I would like to see Shorter just because i think he would be a great addition in the red zone . I hope the injury to Knox doesn't make him a piece they can live with out he is a Buffalo Bills through & through and when healthy he usually comes through for Josh when needed .

If the D can get & stay a bit healthier (I pray Daquan can heal before the play offs) and the offense can continue to get it figured out to be hitting on all cylinders at the end of the season that is what would be the best thing for the Bills we can only sit and hope for the best ...

GO BILLS !! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.