TB / Buffalo Postgame thread

Simon

Just now, Turbo44 said:

This coaching staff lucked into Josh Allen.  They should have been fired after 13 seconds.  How the f*ck do they lineup on  3rd and goal on the 1/2 yard line in the shotgun?

And then do it again on 4th down too.

Directly cost us points. No doubt about it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• Jordan Phillips grabs Mayfield's facemask on a 4th down sack
  • T. Johnson gets flagged on another 4th down
  • A desperation pass to M. Evans bounces off Benford's helmet directly into his arms
  • A batted ball on a 2pt conversion is deflected directly to a Tampa player   

Now consider there are infinite parallel universes (there are)... it at least one of those universes all of the above happens in the final 5 minutes of the game, yet the Bills still find a way to win, that's the universe we live in. 

If just one of those things doesn't happen, the Bills win comfortably and nobody is questioning McD.    Let's give the guy a break. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Best Williams Available said:

You’re misunderstanding me either purposefully or other.

You’re telling me you’re worried about going for one of the 4ths because it gives the Bucs a chance at a short field if they stop the Bills. That creates a potential “ballgame” out of a comfortable lead.

I’m telling you the team did what you’re advocating for and it ended up being a ballgame decided on the last play, anyway.

I’m not misunderstanding you at all I think you are grossly misusing ‘ballgame’. That Hail Mary was at the very edge of the range where baker could even reach…nobody could even locate it cuz it was in the air forever.  That’s a 1/1000 type play and the way the bucs were mismanaging the clock late there was no way the game was going to end any other way.  It was taking them far too long to move the ball.  

if you go for one/a few of those 4th and shorts and get stopped, then your defense that you don’t trust is defending one/multiple short fields and the clock is no longer a factor. Every one of those punts was the right call against a team like the bucs every single time and all of the punts were outstanding but we whiffed downing that final one deep

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

The offense was good, not great. They left a good 10-14 points on the field. This game should have been a blowout by the middle of the third. 

The offense was great when they let it be great.

14 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

The offense was great.  The CHOICE to throttle down was made by the coaches.  From an analytics standpoint it was probably the right call and it almost lost us the game. 

McD will have to decide going forward what he really wants form his offense.  Tonight was an example of how it goes when he try's to play the odds and run the O close to the vest with what he assumes was a big enough lead.  He was right but barely.  Against a better team McD's decision would have cost them the game.

Absolutely McDermott decided a 14 pt lead was good enough to start playing clock burning football and it killed our offensive momentum. Which is something he needs to pay attention to because you can't burn clock when you don't get 1st downs. That's what's more important if he wants to actually burn clock, doesn't matter if the play style goes against conventional wisdom of a run first and short pass game to do it. If you don't hang on to the ball your not going to burn the clock.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Turbo44 said:

This coaching staff lucked into Josh Allen.  They should have been fired after 13 seconds.  How the f*ck do they lineup on  3rd and goal on the 1/2 yard line in the shotgun?

Just an asinine play call. 

2 downs to get 6" and you don't call two straight QB sneaks? 

And we won so the Buffalo media will talk about Dorsey's feelings, and what Kincaid means to everyone, but what are you doing there? He did that in another game earlier this year and it didn't work then. 

Another give up run out of shotgun down in the red zone that lost yards, and Allen bailed them the next play to Kincaid. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

The offense was great when they let it be great.

Absolutely McDermott decided a 14 pt lead was good enough to start playing clock burning football and it killed our offensive momentum. Which is something he needs to pay attention to because you can't burn clock when you don't get 1st downs. That's what's more important if he wants to actually burn clock, doesn't matter if the play style goes against conventional wisdom of a run first and short pass game to do it. If you don't hang on to the ball your not going to burn the clock.

It’s a calculated risk that we all get to criticize with the power of hindsight.  For instance, that pass attempt to a wide open knox to close out the giants game did not work out and everyone jumped all over it.  Fairly aggressive play but very high percentage and we missed it 

Also, you're seeing Harty do that on punt returns and this Head Coach gives him 0 snaps on offense? 

Because he's so worn out returning punts? 

He makes an elite play against Miami on the sidelines, creates 10 yards out of nothing against New England, on simple flat routes, and he's not out there at all tonight. 

• Like (+1) 2

The offense had glimpses of what it used to be a few years ago but also showed how bad it’s been the last several weeks. 

DL was harassing Mayfield all night. What’s the deal with Taron? Guy is getting picked on. Nice to see Oliver back in the lineup. 

Harty’s best game returning punts. 

McD with some horrible TOs again. You can pretty much guarantee every defensive TO leads to a let down. And wtf was the point of calling a TO when the Bucs are scrambling to get their FG unit together? 

Edited by Bangarang
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Also, you're seeing Harty do that on punt returns and this Head Coach gives him 0 snaps on offense? 

Because he's so worn out returning punts? 

He makes an elite play against Miami on the sidelines, creates 10 yards out of nothing against New England, on simple flat routes, and he's not out there at all tonight. 

he looked EXTREMELY dangerous on those punt returns. He had rocket fuel boost short area quickness that looked twice as fast as what he had shown to this point

he should be getting screens and jet sweeps at the very least

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Just an asinine play call. 

2 downs to get 6" and you don't call two straight QB sneaks? 

And we won so the Buffalo media will talk about Dorsey's feelings, and what Kincaid means to everyone, but what are you doing there? He did that in another game earlier this year and it didn't work then. 

Another give up run out of shotgun down in the red zone that lost yards, and Allen bailed them the next play to Kincaid. 

I still really don’t understand that one…the only answer I’ll maybe accept is they were worried josh was banged up on a previous play.  I will defend the punts all night long on this board but that shotgun run on the goal line is a real head scratcher.  

I can kind of understand it in other areas of the field because you don’t want to telegraph if a play is a pass or a run based on formations/substitutions but on the goal line I just can’t understand it 

7 minutes ago, pi2000 said:
  • A desperation pass to M. Evans bounces off Benford's helmet directly into his arms

Now consider there are infinite parallel universes (there are)... it at least one of those universes all of the above happens in the final 5 minutes of the game, yet the Bills still find a way to win, that's the universe we live in. 

If just one of those things doesn't happen, the Bills win comfortably and nobody is questioning McD.    Let's give the guy a break. 

The good news is that the defense had to use up all their bad Karma on that 92 yard TB drive right?

• Haha (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Is there a scenario in one of these universes where McD converts that 4th and 2 and Bills go on the score and take the lead 31 -10? That's the universe I want. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

he looked EXTREMELY dangerous on those punt returns. He had rocket fuel boost short area quickness that looked twice as fast as what he had shown to this point

he should be getting screens and jet sweeps at the very least

If anyone blew it tonight it was those holding penalties on the special teams and nobody will criticize it cuz of the punting/aggressiveness controversy haha offense was dominating the field position battle, the returns were always good too and the holds never looked super consequential. We threw away a lot of points on just ST penalties 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Evans pushed off big time on that play too and no call haha that’s really my argument for punting late…a ton went the bucs way and the closest they could conceivably come to winning with that bad field position most of the second half was a 1/1000 Hail Mary attempt where nobody even knew where the ball was 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I still really don’t understand that one…the only answer I’ll maybe accept is they were worried josh was banged up on a previous play.  I will defend the punts all night long on this board but that shotgun run on the goal line is a real head scratcher.  

I can kind of understand it in other areas of the field because you don’t want to telegraph if a play is a pass or a run based on formations/substitutions but on the goal line I just can’t understand it 

It was the 2nd possession of the night and before he got banged up. No excuse not to be aggressive that early in the game and get the easy points. No need to be cute.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Watching McDermott is now making me feel like I am at work, watching a low performer somewhere in my team underperform and knowing there is better talent out there but I don’t have time or energy to convince the guy’s manager to do the hard work of writing up a new job description and working the recruiting process, or the painful work of cutting the cord with the low performer. Then you finally do it and lo and behold you find someone great and say, “why didn’t we do this 2 years ago?”

I am not sure who is the manager afraid to pull to rip cord in this case. I also know it gets easier with more experience to know it is time to make a tough call. Perhaps the fact that Beane is a first time GM and Pegula still is a relatively new owner is slowing things down: they don’t have much experience moving ahead with this uncomfortable move, and knowing that it will be better in the end. Too bad because they have the trump recruiting card in #17. Would not be hard to find a great replacement. Perhaps they just don’t know and fear the unknown…

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

If anyone blew it tonight it was those holding penalties on the special teams and nobody will criticize it cuz of the punting/aggressiveness controversy haha offense was dominating the field position battle, the returns were always good too and the holds never looked super consequential. We threw away a lot of points on just ST penalties 

I agree.  Those two penalties on back to back 3rd quarter punts pushed the Bills back from midfield to the 20 & 30 yard line. It's hard not to believe that the Bills don't at least get a FG to ice the game starting at midfield two times in a row.  Penalties were devastating tonight and almost cost us the game.

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

It was the 2nd possession of the night and before he got banged up. No excuse not to be aggressive that early in the game and get the easy points. No need to be cute.

Ah my mistake then back to 0 excuses…I don’t even know what’s cute about a shotgun run on the goal line lol it’s not like it’s super creative or anything.  Like a toss play to the outside under center is cuter than that and probably has an exponentially better chance of working 

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Other than Lawson's blocked fg, ST had another disappointing night. The lack of discipline & coaching creates those 4th down penalties. 

What? WTH are you talking about? Bass was perfect. All the snaps were perfect. Kick returns were exciting! The punting was fantastic! What the hell game did you watch??

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

They do this because it's a good thing to do on the goal line. Especially if you are reluctant to sneak a QB that just had to go into the tent again with a shoulder injury. if you aren't sneaking, handing off from under center is the LEAST SUCCESSFUL play you can call at the goal line, and this is bolstered by a decade of data tracking every play run at the 1 yard line. It is doubly true when you only have 2/5 OL known for moving bodies.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

It’s a Buffalo Bills win over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers onto the Cincinnati Bengals game a week from Sunday. There really isn’t much more a Bills fan can say than it’s a win for Bills. I don’t see the point of rehashing the obvious weekly by this present Bills team this season they aren’t improving because they can’t. That isn’t because the Bills players aren’t trying because they are. It’s just the Bills have reached their career ceiling with some players and in other cases are at the end of their NFL careers it is what it is in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by Buffalo Super Fan

1 minute ago, Franco_92 said:

They do this because it's a good thing to do on the goal line. Especially if you are reluctant to sneak a QB that just had to go into the tent again with a shoulder injury. if you aren't sneaking, handing off from under center is the LEAST SUCCESSFUL play you can call at the goal line, and this is bolstered by a decade of data tracking every play run at the 1 yard line. It is doubly true when you only have 2/5 OL known for moving bodies.

The goal line situation occurred on the 2nd possession. Well before Josh went to the tent.

And it's obviously NOT a good idea because we walked away with no points.

Should have snuck it. Twice if need be.

• Agree 3

Just now, Buffalo Super Fan said:

It’s a Buffalo Bills win over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers onto the Cincinnati Bengals game a week from Sunday. There really isn’t much more one can say than a win for Bills. I don’t see the point of rehashing the obvious weekly by this present Bills team this season they aren’t improving because they can’t. That isn’t because the Bills players aren’t trying because they are. It’s just the Bills have reached their career ceiling with some players and in other cases are at the end of their NFL careers it is what it is in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Damn, i guess even biased homers like me should just toss in the towel and free up our sundays!

4 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

What? WTH are you talking about? Bass was perfect. All the snaps were perfect. Kick returns were exciting! The punting was fantastic! What the hell game did you watch??

He might be talking about the penalties in the second half…they were absolute killers.  We threw away a ton of good field position with ST penalties punting was outstanding 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

The goal line situation occurred on the 2nd possession. Well before Josh went to the tent.

And it's obviously NOT a good idea because we walked away with no points.

Should have snuck it. Twice if need be.

Okay but even the best teams don't score 100% of the time from first and goal. Our red zone stats were #2 in the league this year before tonight, and we have scored more frequently from shotgun (where the data shows it is better to play from) than from under-center, where our QB explicitly dislikes playing from. I like sneaking Allen too, and so I am not happy with that sequence, but it's entirely possible they wanted to avoid that because he is known to have a shoulder issue right now. And again, shotgun solves the number one issue that makes it hard to score in the red zone, it spreads people back out. Teams will never stop doing it because decades of data shows it works. All formations fail, and one particular failure doesn't shift the weight of thousands of plays in the past. It is just an instinctive emotional reaction to the instance not working out 

• Eyeroll 1

53 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

They got the 1st down with the Diggs catch.  The Browns got the ball at their own 20 yard line with 21 seconds left. That they actually got within a few feet of winning the game is a trademark of a McD defense. It was almost as bad as "13 seconds".

They needed another first down to clinch the game though. They couldn’t close it out with possession and had to punt it back. Good teams don’t do that; they close it out and never give the opponent another opportunity.

I agree about the defense, but stupid penalties bailed out TB on multiple fourth downs and we gifted them with first downs. Should have been our ball both times. Jordan Phillips will never get out of my doghouse for one of the dumbest penalties I’ve ever seen. 

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

It’s a Buffalo Bills win over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers onto the Cincinnati Bengals game a week from Sunday. There really isn’t much more a Bills fan can say than it’s a win for Bills. I don’t see the point of rehashing the obvious weekly by this present Bills team this season they aren’t improving because they can’t. That isn’t because the Bills players aren’t trying because they are. It’s just the Bills have reached their career ceiling with some players and in other cases are at the end of their NFL careers it is what it is in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

If you didn’t see this game as an improvement over the previous two I just don’t know what to tell you.  The bucs defense is better than the giants and pats considerably and we got a lot of players involved on offense and let the bucs run themselves right out of the game 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Franco_92 said:

Okay but even the best teams don't score 100% of the time from first and goal. Our red zone stats were #2 in the league this year before tonight, and we have scored more frequently from shotgun (where the data shows it is better to play from) than from under-center, where our QB explicitly dislikes playing from. I like sneaking Allen too, and so I am not happy with that sequence, but it's entirely possible they wanted to avoid that because he is known to have a shoulder issue right now. And again, shotgun solves the number one issue that makes it hard to score in the red zone, it spreads people back out. Teams will never stop doing it because decades of data shows it works. All formations fail, and one particular failure doesn't shift the weight of thousands of plays in the past. It is just an instinctive emotional reaction to the instance not working out 

A lot of words for a very simple situation. You need 6 inches. Go get em.

Absolutely inexcusable to have 2 cracks from inches away and not even make a single attempt at the simplest solution.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

A lot of words for a very simple situation. You need 6 inches. Go get em.

Absolutely inexcusable to have 2 cracks from inches away and not even make a single attempt at the simplest solution.

It would be inexcusable to miss no matter the formation - when you choose a formation objectively better for the situation, and miss, it isn't the formation's fault. That is the logical error everyone and their mother is making

The six inches is HARDER TO GET in the formation everyone WANTED TO SWITCH TO

Edited by Franco_92

10 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

We literally ran the QB sneak later, and commentators joked that the fans where asking where that was earlier.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Franco_92 said:

Well, it was before Allen went into the tent.

are you Ken Dorsey?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Franco_92 said:

It would be inexcusable to miss no matter the formation - when you choose a formation objectively better for the situation, and miss, it isn't the formation's fault. That is the logical error everyone and their mother is making

The six inches is HARDER TO GET in the formation everyone WANTED TO SWITCH TO

No. Buck up and get those 6 inches.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.